BIOS IS NOT INSTALLED

1 view

L E O >>>

Mar 1, 2003, 7:12:15 AM3/1/03
// This question is also in alt.comp.os.windows-xp

I wonder what has gone wrong after installing Plextor CD-RW station. OS: WIN
XP Home. In Bios CDRW is slave and DVD is master.

I get the following message "No driver attached to Fasttrack, Bios is not
installed"

CD station is working sometimes OK, sometimes it doesn´t detect cd:s, never
any autoruns, DVD shows only movies, but do not read ordinary cd:s.

What is Fasttrack controller?

Thank´s alot in advance

Leo

CyberCat

Mar 1, 2003, 8:31:52 AM3/1/03
Fasttrack is your IDE controller ...

Nicholas Westlake

Mar 1, 2003, 8:32:49 AM3/1/03
Have you got a Promise fasttrack133 raid controller?

"L E O >>>" <leo.ha...@welho.com> wrote in message

relic

Mar 1, 2003, 9:39:46 AM3/1/03

Sounds like your motherboard has 'normal' IDE controllers and a high-speed
Promise FastTrack controller... sometimes this configuration will have 4 IDE
Connectors, 2 blue and 2 black; other times just 2 IDE connectors, one of
each.

Your "BIOS is not installed" message is because you don't have hard disks on
the connector(s) of the FastTrack chip. You should have your hard disks
connected to the blue plugs on the motherboard to support the fastest transfer
speeds; your CD/DVD devices won't go over UDMA 2, so put them on the black
plugs. Different IDE cables are used too; the 80 wire/40 conductor usually
has a blue plug on one end and should be used for your hard disks. The 40
wire/40 conductor is fine for your CD/DVD drives.

--
- relic -
Resident Psychic: alt.os.windows-xp

L E O >>>

Mar 1, 2003, 12:49:18 PM3/1/03
Thank愀 relic
You were right. DVD and CDRW go over UDMA 2 and are plugged to the blue plug
and hard disk to black one.
Now my question is, can I really change those without making more harm to
the system?

relic

Mar 1, 2003, 12:54:00 PM3/1/03
| Thank愀 relic
| You were right. DVD and CDRW go over UDMA 2 and are plugged to the
| blue plug and hard disk to black one.
| Now my question is, can I really change those without making more
| harm to the system?
| Leo

Usually, XP goes through "Found new hardware" and installs drivers. Worst
case would be needing to do a re-install over the top... that would make you
have to re-install the updates like SP1.

sqr

Mar 1, 2003, 1:37:26 PM3/1/03
I have the same thing on my A7V board. As the blue plugs are the higher
performance Promise ATA100 my hard drives are plug into them with the
CD-burner,DVD and Tape drives being plugged into the black IDE channels...

I updated my Promise controller drivers to the latest I could find....

--
Sqr
Overseer: alt.os.windows-xp

http://sqr.servebeer.com