Samba share, authentication

rhox

Oct 10, 2006, 4:58:17 PM10/10/06
I setup samba, and when trying to access the share from my windows pc (or my
xbox with xbox media center, for that matter), it asks me to enter a
username and password. At that point, I enter my username and password for
this machine(the machine hosting the shares). It doesn't seem to work, as
it keeps asking me over and over for the user/pass. Am I doing something
wrong? Is it possible to make it so that I do not need to authenticate? Or
should I just try and make a new user just for samba? I'm so confused.
--
-rhox

Malke

Oct 10, 2006, 5:09:57 PM10/10/06
rhox wrote:

My standard cut/paste for setting up Samba to share with Windows (and
sorry, I can't help you with the Xbox bit but if you get the rest set
up I'm sure you can figure it out):

1. On Windows boxen, make sure all accounts are properly named (no
damned spaces) and there are no null passwords. Configure any firewalls
to allow lan traffic. Create shares as desired. Note that if any boxen
are XP Pro, you should disable Simple Sharing (Folder Options>View).

2. On Linux, create identical user account/passwords with your distro's
configuration method.
3. Make sure you've installed Samba server/client with your distro's
configuration method.
4. Configure run levels so that the nmb and smb daemons start at bootup.

5. Now add your users to Samba. Make these match the ones on Windows. I
think the easiest way is from the console, so open one, su to root, and
type:
smbpasswd -a username [enter]
(enter password)
(enter password again)

6. Go to your distro's configuration method and set your Samba server
and client Identity to match your Windows Workgroup name.

7. I use KDE, so if you use Gnome or another window manager you'll need
to figure this next bit out yourself. Open up the Control Center and go
to Internet/Network and then Samba. Click on the Administrator Mode
(enter root password). I use User security level. Check to make sure
Shares (these are for the Linux box of course) are the way you want
them. Apply and close that part.

8. Click on File Sharing and enable Administrator Mode. Check "Enable
local network file sharing". I have mine set on "Advanced sharing".
Check the box for "Use Samba" rather than NFS.

And that's pretty much it. Now if you want to make a new share - say a
folder that isn't in your /home, you can right-click it to set Sharing
Properties. If all you want to share is your /home, you're done. Since
9.3, SUSE has a useful Network icon on the desktop (at least in KDE it
does) where you can find your Windows Workgroup and see all the smb
shares. Perhaps your distro does, too.

Note: To use a Linux firewall w/Samba - If you do not have WINS on the
network, then your network is relying on broadcasted browser
announcements for NetBios resolution. Configure your firewall to allow
NetBios broadcasts, with UDP and TCP ports 137-139 open.

This site has an excellent firewall how-to -
http://www.tweakhound.com/linux/samba/page_5.htm

Malke
--
It is very dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

rhox

Oct 10, 2006, 5:26:45 PM10/10/06
Malke wrote:

> 5. Now add your users to Samba. Make these match the ones on Windows. I
> think the easiest way is from the console, so open one, su to root, and
> type:
> smbpasswd -a username [enter]
> (enter password)
> (enter password again)

So I need to use that command and add the usernames of my Windows accounts,
or an existing Linux user?

Will I need to setup a password on the Windows computer if it doesn't have
one?

> 7. I use KDE, so if you use Gnome or another window manager you'll need
> to figure this next bit out yourself. Open up the Control Center and go
> to Internet/Network and then Samba. Click on the Administrator Mode
> (enter root password). I use User security level. Check to make sure
> Shares (these are for the Linux box of course) are the way you want
> them. Apply and close that part.

I use KDE. My shares are just how I need them. About Administrator Mode.. I
don't see that. My control center (I assume you were talking about YaST)
only has "Network Services" not "Internet/Network" but that gets me
to "Samba Server". Is it OK to ignore this if I am still able to setup my
shares?

> 8. Click on File Sharing and enable Administrator Mode. Check "Enable
> local network file sharing". I have mine set on "Advanced sharing".
> Check the box for "Use Samba" rather than NFS.

I don't see either of those options.

> Note: To use a Linux firewall w/Samba - If you do not have WINS on the
> network, then your network is relying on broadcasted browser
> announcements for NetBios resolution. Configure your firewall to allow
> NetBios broadcasts, with UDP and TCP ports 137-139 open.
>
> This site has an excellent firewall how-to -
> http://www.tweakhound.com/linux/samba/page_5.htm

Thanks, but I don't use a firewall.

--
-rhox

rhox

Oct 10, 2006, 5:36:33 PM10/10/06
Malke wrote:

> 8. Click on File Sharing and enable Administrator Mode. Check "Enable
> local network file sharing". I have mine set on "Advanced sharing".
> Check the box for "Use Samba" rather than NFS.

I found these options when I went into share properties of a folder. All is
working well now. Thanks Malke!
--
-rhox

Malke

Oct 10, 2006, 7:11:30 PM10/10/06
rhox wrote:

Comments inline:

>> smbpasswd -a username [enter]
>> (enter password)
>> (enter password again)

> So I need to use that command and add the usernames of my Windows
> accounts, or an existing Linux user?

Add the users to SUSE first. Then add the users to Samba. Just like I
wrote it.

> Will I need to setup a password on the Windows computer if it doesn't
> have one?

Yes. Networking does better with passwords. If you like, you can set
Windows to log into your user account automatically, but create a
password.

> I use KDE. My shares are just how I need them. About Administrator
> Mode.. I don't see that. My control center (I assume you were talking
> about YaST) only has "Network Services" not "Internet/Network" but
> that gets me to "Samba Server". Is it OK to ignore this if I am still
> able to setup my shares?

You assume wrong. Control Center is the KDE Control Center, not YaST. In
10.1 it's in the Start menu called "Personal Settings".

>> 8. Click on File Sharing and enable Administrator Mode. Check "Enable
>> local network file sharing". I have mine set on "Advanced sharing".
>> Check the box for "Use Samba" rather than NFS.
>
> I don't see either of those options.

Because you're looking in the wrong place.

> Thanks, but I don't use a firewall.

You're welcome.