Slackware Release Fun & Games

8 vues

+Alan Hicks+

non lue,
20 juin 2009, 17:59:3820/06/2009

Ivan Rajkovic

non lue,
20 juin 2009, 18:08:5120/06/2009
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 21:59:38 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

> Yes folks, it's that time again! Time for the Slackware Release Fun &
> Games contest sponsored by your truly! The contestant who guesses the
> closest to the actual release date of Slackware 13.0 will receive 1 &
> only 1 BOZO point from your's truley for each & every looser who gave it
> his best guess and failed miserably. Once again, the rules are the same.
> Contestants may only enter 1 guess at the release date and once that
> date has been submitted it may not be changed. Also do not under any
> circumstances use X-No-Archive: as the winning contestant will be
> determined from Google's usenet cache. Extra points will not be given
> for the use of archaic calendars (Joost!), but Discordian dates might
> get you a bonus point or two if I'm in a good mood. Look! Block-text.

Boomtime, Bureaucracy 8, Year of Our Lady of Discord 3175

P.S: your sig delimiter is broken

--
i.

Dan C

non lue,
20 juin 2009, 20:19:4720/06/2009
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 21:59:38 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

> Yes folks, it's that time again! Time for the Slackware Release Fun &
> Games contest sponsored by your truly! The contestant who guesses the
> closest to the actual release date of Slackware 13.0 will receive 1 &
> only 1 BOZO point from your's truley for each & every looser who gave it
> his best guess and failed miserably. Once again, the rules are the same.
> Contestants may only enter 1 guess at the release date and once that
> date has been submitted it may not be changed. Also do not under any
> circumstances use X-No-Archive: as the winning contestant will be
> determined from Google's usenet cache. Extra points will not be given
> for the use of archaic calendars (Joost!), but Discordian dates might
> get you a bonus point or two if I'm in a good mood. Look! Block-text.

Setting Orange, Confusion 59, 3175 YOLD

(July 24, 2009)

Ahhhhhhhh!: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/relieve.jpg

Grant

non lue,
20 juin 2009, 21:49:1120/06/2009
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 21:59:38 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ <al...@lizella.netWORK> wrote:

>Yes folks, it's that time again! Time for the Slackware Release Fun &
>Games contest sponsored by your truly! The contestant who guesses the

>for the use of archaic calendars (Joost!), but Discordian dates might
>get you a bonus point or two if I'm in a good mood. Look! Block-text.

Yeah but you forgot double space after period for monospace :)

Grant.
--
http://bugsplatter.id.au

Michiel van Wessem

non lue,
20 juin 2009, 23:44:1720/06/2009
On 2009-06-20 21:59, <al...@lizella.netWORK> wrote:

> Yes folks, it's that time again! Time for the Slackware Release Fun &
> Games contest sponsored by your truly!

About time. ;-)

Boomtime, Confusion 61, 3175 YOLD
((26 July 2009))

-M.

andrew

non lue,
21 juin 2009, 00:20:2121/06/2009
On 2009-06-20, +Alan Hicks+ <al...@lizella.netWORK> wrote:

> Games contest sponsored by your truly! The contestant who guesses the
> closest to the actual release date of Slackware 13.0 will receive 1 &
> only 1 BOZO point from your's truley for each & every looser who gave
> it his best guess and failed miserably.

Boomtime, Confusion 56, 3175 YOLD

Andrew
--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?

Keith Keller

non lue,
21 juin 2009, 01:12:3521/06/2009
On 2009-06-20, +Alan Hicks+ <al...@lizella.netWORK> wrote:

> Yes folks, it's that time again! Time for the Slackware Release Fun &
> Games contest sponsored by your truly! The contestant who guesses the
> closest to the actual release date of Slackware 13.0 will receive 1 &
> only 1 BOZO point from your's truley for each & every looser who gave
> it his best guess and failed miserably. Once again, the rules are the
> same. Contestants may only enter 1 guess at the release date and once
> that date has been submitted it may not be changed. Also do not under
> any circumstances use X-No-Archive: as the winning contestant will be
> determined from Google's usenet cache. Extra points will not be given
> for the use of archaic calendars (Joost!), but Discordian dates might
> get you a bonus point or two if I'm in a good mood. Look! Block-text.

Cheating block text! Two mispelings and a grammar on line four!

Too lazy to look up the Discordian date. June 25 2009, just because
it's my brother's birthday.

--keith

--
kkeller...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
(try just my userid to email me)

A Guy Called Tyketto

non lue,
21 juin 2009, 04:07:2821/06/2009

Loki Harfagr

non lue,
21 juin 2009, 05:05:5421/06/2009
Sat, 20 Jun 2009 21:59:38 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ did cat :

.

--
Prickle-Prickle, Confusion 38, 3175 YOLD

niels.horn

non lue,
21 juin 2009, 07:42:0721/06/2009

Pungenday, Confusion 67, 3175 YOLD

--
Niels Horn

King of Physics

non lue,
21 juin 2009, 07:52:4521/06/2009

"+Alan Hicks+" <al...@lizella.netWORK> wrote in message

> Yes folks, it's that time again! Time for the Slackware Release Fun &
> Games contest sponsored by your truly! The contestant who guesses the
> closest to the actual release date of Slackware 13.0 will receive 1 &
> only 1 BOZO point from your's

Learn about apostrophe's and they're use's, fuckwit.

> truley

Learn how to spell English words, fuckwit.

> for each & every looser

Learn the difference between LOSER and LOOSER, fuckwit.

> who gave
> it his best guess and failed miserably. Once again, the rules are the

> same. Contestants may only enter 1 guess at the release date and blah
> blah blah blah my kitten has crabs in its speaker wire nostril corpse
> flower sailer for presenting dimensional blithering without end

Learn the difference between posting and not posting, fuckwit.

Joost Kremers

non lue,
21 juin 2009, 08:09:0821/06/2009
+Alan Hicks+ wrote:
> determined from Google's usenet cache. Extra points will not be given
> for the use of archaic calendars (Joost!),

but can i at least participate with an archaic calendar? IIRC last time i
was disqualified for it...

--
Joost Kremers joostk...@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

Michael Black

non lue,
21 juin 2009, 10:15:0521/06/2009
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

> Yes folks, it's that time again! Time for the Slackware Release Fun &
> Games contest sponsored by your truly! The contestant who guesses the
> closest to the actual release date of Slackware 13.0 will receive 1 &
> only 1 BOZO point from your's truley

July 4th, 2009

Michael

Helmut Hullen

non lue,
21 juin 2009, 10:26:0021/06/2009
Hallo, Michael,

Du meintest am 21.06.09:

>> Yes folks, it's that time again! Time for the Slackware Release Fun
>> & Games contest sponsored by your truly! The contestant who guesses
>> the closest to the actual release date of Slackware 13.0 will
>> receive 1 & only 1 BOZO point from your's truley

> July 4th, 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_(film)
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_(Film)

No chance for a slackware distribution.

Viele Gruesse
Helmut

Glyn Millington

non lue,
21 juin 2009, 10:47:5121/06/2009

Dan C

non lue,
21 juin 2009, 17:39:5621/06/2009
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 22:12:35 -0700, Keith Keller wrote:

> On 2009-06-20, +Alan Hicks+ <al...@lizella.netWORK> wrote:
>>
>> Yes folks, it's that time again! Time for the Slackware Release Fun &
>> Games contest sponsored by your truly! The contestant who guesses the
>> closest to the actual release date of Slackware 13.0 will receive 1 &
>> only 1 BOZO point from your's truley for each & every looser who gave
>> it his best guess and failed miserably. Once again, the rules are the
>> same. Contestants may only enter 1 guess at the release date and once
>> that date has been submitted it may not be changed. Also do not under
>> any circumstances use X-No-Archive: as the winning contestant will be
>> determined from Google's usenet cache. Extra points will not be given
>> for the use of archaic calendars (Joost!), but Discordian dates might
>> get you a bonus point or two if I'm in a good mood. Look! Block-text.
>
> Cheating block text! Two mispelings and a grammar on line four!
>
> Too lazy to look up the Discordian date. June 25 2009, just because
> it's my brother's birthday.

No need to "look up" anything:

danc@moria:~$ ddate 25 06 2009
Sweetmorn, Confusion 30, 3175 YOLD
danc@moria:~$

Dan C

non lue,
21 juin 2009, 17:41:2321/06/2009

Bugger the fuck off, Win-droid.

Dirk van Deun

non lue,
21 juin 2009, 17:49:3421/06/2009
: Games contest sponsored by your truly! The contestant who guesses the
: closest to the actual release date of Slackware 13.0 will receive 1 &
: only 1 BOZO point from your's truley for each & every looser who gave

Confusion 42.

Dirk van Deun
--
Ceterum censeo Redmond delendum

Keith Keller

non lue,
21 juin 2009, 23:50:5721/06/2009
On 2009-06-21, Dan C <youmust...@lan.invalid> wrote:

> No need to "look up" anything:
>
> danc@moria:~$ ddate 25 06 2009
> Sweetmorn, Confusion 30, 3175 YOLD
> danc@moria:~$

That counts as a lookup when I'm feeling really lazy. I mean, come
on, I even have to call out a shell and everything! ;-)

Keith Keller

non lue,
21 juin 2009, 23:52:5821/06/2009
On 2009-06-21, King of Physics <blith...@isp.net> wrote:

> "+Alan Hicks+" <al...@lizella.netWORK> wrote in message
>
>> who gave
>> it his best guess and failed miserably. Once again, the rules are the
>> same. Contestants may only enter 1 guess at the release date and blah
>> blah blah blah my kitten has crabs in its speaker wire nostril corpse
>> flower sailer for presenting dimensional blithering without end
>
> Learn the difference between posting and not posting, fuckwit.

If you're going to rewrite someone's blocktext, then insult him, you
should at least preserve the blocktext.

Michael Black

non lue,
22 juin 2009, 00:02:0622/06/2009
On Sun, 21 Jun 2009, Dan C wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 22:12:35 -0700, Keith Keller wrote:
>
>> On 2009-06-20, +Alan Hicks+ <al...@lizella.netWORK> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes folks, it's that time again! Time for the Slackware Release Fun &
>>> Games contest sponsored by your truly! The contestant who guesses the
>>> closest to the actual release date of Slackware 13.0 will receive 1 &
>>> only 1 BOZO point from your's truley for each & every looser who gave
>>> it his best guess and failed miserably. Once again, the rules are the
>>> same. Contestants may only enter 1 guess at the release date and once
>>> that date has been submitted it may not be changed. Also do not under
>>> any circumstances use X-No-Archive: as the winning contestant will be
>>> determined from Google's usenet cache. Extra points will not be given
>>> for the use of archaic calendars (Joost!), but Discordian dates might
>>> get you a bonus point or two if I'm in a good mood. Look! Block-text.
>>
>> Cheating block text! Two mispelings and a grammar on line four!
>>
>> Too lazy to look up the Discordian date. June 25 2009, just because
>> it's my brother's birthday.
>
> No need to "look up" anything:
>
> danc@moria:~$ ddate 25 06 2009
> Sweetmorn, Confusion 30, 3175 YOLD
> danc@moria:~$

Now you tell us.

I know we went through this the last time, but by now I couldn't remember
the command.

Michael

Grant Taylor

non lue,
22 juin 2009, 01:53:2922/06/2009
Michael Black wrote:
> I know we went through this the last time, but by now I couldn't
> remember the command.

Wikipedia made reference to the ddate command.

My question is, is there an equally easy to translate from YOLD back to
Gregorian?

Grant. . . .

Chris Willing

non lue,
22 juin 2009, 06:49:3922/06/2009

Dan C

non lue,
22 juin 2009, 08:44:0222/06/2009

I recommend you add this line to the end of your /etc/rc.d/rc.local :

/usr/bin/ddate

Then, you'll see the Discordian date at every bootup, and you'll remember
that it's in rc.local, and if you ever need to use it, you'll know that
the command is "ddate" (which of course has a man page for further study).

;-)

No_One

non lue,
22 juin 2009, 11:40:3422/06/2009
On 2009-06-22, Dan C <youmust...@lan.invalid> wrote:

> Then, you'll see the Discordian date at every bootup, and you'll remember
> that it's in rc.local, and if you ever need to use it, you'll know that
> the command is "ddate" (which of course has a man page for further study).

Anyone notice the man page for ddate is 6600 lines of which 6000 and some
are empty....or is it just my manpage

ken

Douglas Mayne

non lue,
22 juin 2009, 13:43:2822/06/2009

Prickle-Prickle, Confusion 73, 3175 YOLD

(August 7, 2009)

--
Douglas Mayne

Peter Chant

non lue,
22 juin 2009, 14:36:4622/06/2009
+Alan Hicks+ wrote:

> Yes folks, it's that time again! Time for the Slackware Release Fun &
> Games contest sponsored by your truly! The contestant who guesses the
> closest to the actual release date of Slackware 13.0 will receive 1 &
> only 1 BOZO point from your's truley for each & every looser who gave
> it his best guess and failed miserably. Once again, the rules are the
> same. Contestants may only enter 1 guess at the release date and once
> that date has been submitted it may not be changed. Also do not under
> any circumstances use X-No-Archive: as the winning contestant will be
> determined from Google's usenet cache. Extra points will not be given
> for the use of archaic calendars (Joost!), but Discordian dates might
> get you a bonus point or two if I'm in a good mood. Look! Block-text.

Impressive, perfect full justification with a fixed width font.

Anyway, never quite understood this Discordian stuff. Is it serious, is it
a parody of is it simply the product of too many "long" cigarettes?

Pete

--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Sylvain Robitaille

non lue,
22 juin 2009, 14:44:1822/06/2009
No_One wrote:

> Anyone notice the man page for ddate is 6600 lines of which 6000 and
> some are empty....or is it just my manpage

: charlotte[syl] ~; man ddate |wc -l
108
: charlotte[syl] ~; cat /etc/slackware-version
Slackware 12.1.0

Sylvain Robitaille s...@encs.concordia.ca

Systems analyst / AITS Concordia University
Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science Montreal, Quebec, Canada

+Alan Hicks+

non lue,
22 juin 2009, 16:28:1422/06/2009

+Alan Hicks+

non lue,
22 juin 2009, 16:31:1922/06/2009

Bud

non lue,
22 juin 2009, 17:09:1522/06/2009
Bud

No_One

non lue,
22 juin 2009, 17:16:1122/06/2009
On 2009-06-22, Sylvain Robitaille <s...@alcor.concordia.ca> wrote:
> No_One wrote:
>
>> Anyone notice the man page for ddate is 6600 lines of which 6000 and
>> some are empty....or is it just my manpage
>
>: charlotte[syl] ~; man ddate |wc -l
> 108
>: charlotte[syl] ~; cat /etc/slackware-version
> Slackware 12.1.0

Hmm..same here, however, using less or most as the pager I get 6k empty
lines before the paragraph marked EXAMPLES.

Checked ddate.1.gz and found .bp before the EXAMPLES section, changed it to
.br, now the pagers read the correct number of lines.

I guess I had a bad manpage after all....slack 9.1

ken

Auric__

non lue,
22 juin 2009, 19:01:5922/06/2009
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 20:31:19 GMT, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

> On 2009-06-22, Keith Keller <kkeller...@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>
> wrote:
>> If you're going to rewrite someone's blocktext, then insult him, you
>> should at least preserve the blocktext.
> </modquote>

Hell yeah. Seconded.

--
Fear is how I fall.

Keith Keller

non lue,
22 juin 2009, 23:00:5622/06/2009
On 2009-06-22, Dan C <youmust...@lan.invalid> wrote:

> I recommend you add this line to the end of your /etc/rc.d/rc.local :
>
> /usr/bin/ddate

Why not put it in /etc/profile? ;-)

(actually the proper Slackware way would be to make a shell script and
plop it into /etc/profile.d/. But explaining all that takes too long.)

Thomas Overgaard

non lue,
23 juin 2009, 05:50:3923/06/2009

Alan Hicks wrote :

> The contestant who guesses the closest to the actual release date of
> Slackware 13.0

My guess:
Sweetmorn, Confusion 70, 3175 YOLD.
--
Thomas O.

Mussemouse

non lue,
23 juin 2009, 08:53:0323/06/2009
+Alan Hicks+ wrote:

> Yes folks, it's that time again! Time for the Slackware Release Fun &

> Games contest sponsored by your truly! The contestant who guesses the

> closest to the actual release date of Slackware 13.0 will receive 1 &
> only 1 BOZO point from your's truley for each & every looser who gave
> it his best guess and failed miserably.

My guess : Boomtime, Confusion 51, 3175 YOLD

//Micke

Franz Sauerzopf

non lue,
23 juin 2009, 11:17:3223/06/2009

Boomtime, Confusion 46, 3175 YOLD

jr4412

non lue,
23 juin 2009, 16:20:0123/06/2009
22.10.2009
Setting Orange, The Aftermath 3, 3175 YOLD

haldir

non lue,
23 juin 2009, 23:32:0523/06/2009

Yeti

non lue,
25 juin 2009, 04:57:3125/06/2009

Two Ravens

non lue,
25 juin 2009, 07:04:4025/06/2009
Pungenday, Bureaucracy 34, Year of Our Lady of Discord 3175

--
Two Ravens
"...hit the squirrel..."

ilSimo

non lue,
25 juin 2009, 11:06:4325/06/2009
It was 23:59, sabato 20 giugno 2009, and +Alan Hicks+, in message

<an20h6x...@Cardinal.lizella.net> wrote:

> Yes folks, it's that time again!
[cut]

Sweetmorn, Confusion 50, 3175 YOLD

ilSimo
--
now playing:

I believe what the prophets said
That the oceans hold their dead
But at night when the waves are near
They whisper... and I hear...

Savatage - The Wake Of Magellan

Bradley Reed

non lue,
25 juin 2009, 23:20:3225/06/2009
On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 21:59:38 +0000, +Alan Hicks+ wrote:

> Yes folks, it's that time again! Time for the Slackware Release Fun &
> Games contest sponsored by your truly!

Prickle-Prickle, the 73rd day of Confusion in the YOLD 3175.

(7 August 2009)

Brad

MikeinAK

non lue,