Bochs now supports OHCI and external Hubs

Benjamin David Lunt

Apr 3, 2009, 10:50:17 PM4/3/09
Hi everyone,

Lately, Volker Ruppert and I have been working on the Bochs
implementation of OHCI, External Hubs, and Mass Storage
Devices (MSD's).

Except for one flaw we know of, everything should work well.
I have tried Win98SE, while Volker has tried Win98 and a
version of SUSE 7.x which is a *nix variant.

The flaw we know of is that Win98SE requests a status packet
from the MSD during a write instead of after the whole amount
written, with the OHCI driver. i.e.: If Windows requests
a 512 byte write, the device has only a 64 byte maxpacketsize,
the driver writes 64 bytes, then requests a 13 byte status
packet. Our current implementation wants all 512 bytes written
to before we can send a 13 byte status packet. Once we figure
this out, it should work fine.

The reading from an MSD works as expected. Volker found the
error in the CDROM part today, so the USB should read from
a CDROM image as expected.

The Windows32 Bochs GUI is also re-written to allow easier
configuration when connecting and disconnecting devices.
Click on the Config toolbar button, click on USB, then Edit,
and enter
hub:4
in one of the 'port' text boxes. Then click on OKAY. If you
would like to add a device on one of the four ports of the
hub, click on EDIT again and there will be four text boxes.
You may continue to add downstream hubs and/or devices as
you see fit. hub:2 is a two port hub, while hub:8 is an eight
port hub and the max size you can have.

I don't have a running *nix box with Bochs, so I don't know
if this same USB config addition is present on the *nix
GUI, but Volker is good about keeping it up to speed, so I
bet it is updated too.

Why do I post this information? :-) So that if you are,
or want to be working on your USB code, you can now test
easily with Bochs instead of having to reboot real hardware
all the time.

Bochs should support, a mouse, a keypad, and MSD devices,
(CDROM's, thumb drive's, etc.)

Please try your code on the new version of Bochs and let
us know if you find something in error. Either post here,
or my email address instructions are below.

The binary release of Bochs should be out soon. For now,
you will need to get the latest CVS and compile it yourself.
Or if you ask really nice, I will post my binary for download.

Without trying to sound like I am doing a plug here, my
page at
http://www.frontiernet.net/~fys/fysos.htm
now has a new floppy image that supports OHCI, UHCI, numerous
downstream external hubs, the mouse, and MSD devices. If you
so desire to test your hardware's USB with my image, please let
me know if you find something in error. Please read the
"Recent News: 03 Apr 2009" notes first. And as always, "Use
at your own risk" :-)

Thanks and hope that you enjoy the new version of Bochs,
Ben

--
Forever Young Software

Batteries not included, some assembly required.