Don Stewart, actor ("The Guiding Light") 70

deb...@comcast.net

Jan 15, 2006, 7:19:36 PM1/15/06
STEWART, Don

Santa Barbara News-Press
January 14, 2006 10:35 AM

Stage and screen actor and singer, best known for his role as Michael
Bauer on the "Guiding Light" daytime soap opera passed away January 9,
2006. He was 70. He had been valiantly battling aplastic anemia for
about 2 years and was most recently diagnosed with lung cancer in June,
2005.

Donald Bruce Stewart was born to Dr. George and F. Marian Stewart on
November 14, 1935 in Great Kills Staten Island, New York. He spent his
youth in Nebraska.

He had a great love of flying as well as singing. After attending
college, he joined the US Air Force where he flew B-47 medium range
bombers and became the youngest aircraft commander in the Strategic Air
Command. After 6 years, he left the active military to pursue a singing
and acting career but continued to fly in the reserve military.

In 1968, he began his role as Michael Bauer on the "Guiding Light." He
was on that show for 16 years. During that time he was able to do
several musical theatre plays, solo concerts and nightclub-type
performances. Also, During this period of time he married and had two
daughters.

After leaving "The Guiding Light" in 1985, he and his family moved to
California to continue to pursue film and television opportunities. His
career continued to grow as he branched out into movies, stage,
commercials, voice-overs, and special guest appearances on many
television shows. His most notable films were "The Betty Ford Story,"
"American Ninja" and "Lost."

In 2000, after over a decade long friendship with Carol Gemberling, a
nurse practitioner/faculty and they were married in August, 2005.

He was preceded in death by his parents and his sister. He is survived
by his wife Carol, Don's two daughters Heather and Genevra, his step
son Brent, his brothers George and Jack Stewart, his sister-in-law
Carolyn and several nieces and nephews and his ex-wife.

Funeral services will be held Saturday, January 14, 2006 at 11:00am at
St. Andrews

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0829327/

Hyfler/Rosner

Jan 15, 2006, 7:34:39 PM1/15/06

<deb...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> STEWART, Don
>
> Santa Barbara News-Press
> January 14, 2006 10:35 AM
>

> Stage and screen actor and singer, best known for his role
> as Michael
> Bauer on the "Guiding Light" daytime soap opera passed
> away January 9,
> 2006. He was 70. He had been valiantly battling aplastic
> anemia for
> about 2 years and was most recently diagnosed with lung
> cancer in June,
> 2005.

This is a really big obit in the soap opera world. Even I
knew who he was.

http://www.soap-news.com/gl/c/mikebauer.htm

Cher

Jan 15, 2006, 9:24:21 PM1/15/06
A while ago, I saw him on a Christian Network.

http://www.soap-news.com/gl/c/mikebauer.htm

bway...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2006, 10:24:15 PM1/15/06
His IBDB listing shows three Broadway shows for him in the early
sixties... but they also list him as appearing in a show which closed
before he was born. (There are two Donald Stewarts on the IBDB, one
from the sixties and one from the thirties, and they've clearly mixed
them up here.)

http://www.ibdb.com/person.asp?ID=101429

ingrid56

Jan 15, 2006, 10:43:51 PM1/15/06
"Cher" <randi...@aol.com> wrote in message

> A while ago, I saw him on a Christian Network.
>
> http://www.soap-news.com/gl/c/mikebauer.htm

As Mike Bauer on Guiding Light, he had a very nice singing voice.
Only heard him a couple of times, tho.

Jack

Glitter Ninja

Jan 16, 2006, 5:52:54 AM1/16/06
deb...@comcast.net writes:

>Stage and screen actor and singer, best known for his role as Michael
>Bauer on the "Guiding Light" daytime soap opera passed away January 9,
>2006. He was 70.

I remember him well. When I was a young teenager I watched "Guiding
Light" quite a bit during summer vacations. I hadn't seen him in
anything besides "GL", which was about 20 years go.

Stacia