Barbara Keogh; character actress

Hyfler/Rosner

Nov 21, 2005, 8:46:44 PM11/21/05
http://www.amandahowardassociates.co.uk/photos/Keogh%20Barbara.jpg

Barbara Keogh

James Bradshaw
Tuesday November 22, 2005
The Guardian

I first met the character actor Barbara Keogh, who has died
aged 76, when she played my wonderfully unkempt Nan in the
ITV comedy, The Grimleys. She was a kind and supportive
colleague, and we were firm friends from then on.
Born in Cheshire, Barbara trained at the Birmingham School
of Speech and Drama and at the London Academy of Music and
Dramatic Art. She went into weekly rep, an experience she
always valued. At Kidderminster, she acted alongside John
Osborne and Ronnie Barker (obituary, October 5), whom she
was to work with later in Open All Hours and The Two
Ronnies. There followed a tour of Teahouse of the August
Moon, in which she spoke all her dialogue in Japanese.

She was an established face on television, contrasting her
role in The Grimleys with that of Lilly Mattock in
Eastenders. While she played in everything from Dixon of
Dock Green to Game On during a 40-year TV career, her stage
career also flourished, with performances at the Royal Court
and the Hampstead Theatre. She appeared in three plays at
the National, including John Gabriel Borkman, with Ralph
Richardson and Peggy Ashcroft. Later came Adrian Noble's
production of The Duchess of Malfi. She made several film
appearances.
She was still working four days before she died, and had
recently filmed an episode of Little Britain: she was
thrilled to be asked back, having immensely enjoyed herself
during the first series.

Bob Feigel

Nov 21, 2005, 9:04:02 PM11/21/05
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:46:44 -0500, "Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com>
magnanimously proffered:

>http://www.amandahowardassociates.co.uk/photos/Keogh%20Barbara.jpg
>

>Barbara Keogh

>She was an established face on television, contrasting her
>role in The Grimleys with that of Lilly Mattock in
>Eastenders.

More photos & info:

http://www.firstpersonquiz.com/keogh_barbara.html

scroll down page:
http://www.simonharries.com/tmcelebphotos/celebmeets.htm

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Bob Feigel

Nov 21, 2005, 11:42:52 PM11/21/05
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:04:02 +1300, Bob Feigel
<b...@surfwriter.net.not> magnanimously proffered:

Further photos & info: http://www.hawguk.org/barbara.keogh/index.html