Ossie Davis by Spike Lee (Entertainment Weekly)

Hyfler/Rosner

Dec 23, 2005, 10:08:43 PM12/23/05
Ossie Davis DEC. 18, 1917-FEB. 4, 2005 By Spike Lee

DURING MY FIRST YEAR of NYU film school, on a whim I wrote a
letter introducing myself to Ms. Ruby Dee and Mr. Ossie
Davis telling them that one day I hoped to work with them.
Many years later, Ossie reminded me of that letter, saying
it was the beginning of our relationship. When I speak of
Ossie, I'm also including Ms. Ruby Dee. The most important
lesson I learned from them was: Have strong political
convictions; don't worry about whether they'll hurt your job
prospects. Ruby and Ossie are examples of artists who did
not try to divorce their politics from their work. I have a
big void in my life with the passing of Ossie Davis. He
played a huge part in my development not only as a
filmmaker, but as a human being. We at 40 Acres & a Mule are
proud of the work and friendship Ruby and Ossie shared with
us. Our prayers go out to Ms. Dee and her family. (Davis
died of natural causes in Miami Beach.)