Christina Hammerstein; actress & singer

Hyfler/Rosner

Nov 20, 2005, 9:54:00 PM11/20/05

Pd obits, NY Times today

HAMMERSTEIN -- Christina Lind. Passed away peacefully
November 19th at home in Durham, NC surrounded by her three
beautiful girls, Pat (Patricia Hammerstein Benner), Marty
(Martha Hammerstein) and Dinie (Diana Hammerstein). Born
February 4, 1919, Ms. Hammerstein was an actress and singer
who started her career in radio and the fashionable
nightclubs of New York in the early 1940's. She appeared on
Broadway and in summer stock productions of many Rogers &
Hammerstein musicals including ''The King & I,''
''Showboat'' and ''South Pacific,'' and remained active in
the arts throughout her life. She will be greatly missed by
her loving family including her daughters, son-in-law Tom
Benner, six grandchildren and three great-grandchildren as
well as the many friends and colleagues who remember her for
her warmth, talent and beauty. In lieu of flowers, donations
may be made to The Actors Fund of America.

Message has been deleted

deb...@comcast.net

Nov 20, 2005, 10:34:07 PM11/20/05
The obit left out a relationship of significance?

Well, she wasn't Oscar Hammerstein 2nd's widow, his wife was named
Dorothy.

Hyfler/Rosner

Nov 21, 2005, 7:24:45 AM11/21/05

"Harry Krause" <harry....@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The obit left out a relationship of significance?

She was, at one time, the wife of William Hammerstein, the
son of Oscar Hammerstein II. Her children are the children
and grandchildren.

March 11, 2001; Sunday

HEADLINE: William Hammerstein Dies at 82

DATELINE: WASHINGTON, Conn.

William Hammerstein, director, producer and a member of the
fourth generation of a family prominent in the American
theater for more than a century, has died. He was 82.

Hammerstein died at home Friday of complications from a
stroke, according to Theodore S. Chapin, president of The
Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization.

On Broadway, Hammerstein produced Neil Simon's first play,
''Come Blow Your Horn,'' in 1961 and Garson Kanin's ''A Gift
of Time,'' starring Henry Fonda and Olivia de Havilland.

As a director, his credits included numerous productions at
New York City Center, the 1956 London premiere of ''Fanny''
and the 1979 Broadway revival and. national tour of
''Oklahoma!'' For television, he produced ''The Bell
Telephone Hour,'' ''The Arthur Godfrey Show'' and various
network specials.

Until shortly before his death, Hammerstein was active in
the management of the theatrical and music-publishing
interests of his father, Oscar Hammerstein II. His father,
together with composer Richard Rodgers, wrote such legendary
musicals as ''Oklahoma!'', ''Carousel,'' ''South Pacific,''
''The King and I'' and ''The Sound of Music.''

Hammerstein, who was born in New York, began his
professional career as a stage manager at the St. Louis
Municipal Opera, moving on to Broadway and road productions.
During World War II, he served with the Navy in the South
Pacific. After the war, he resumed work in the theater as a
production manager, working for producer Leland Hayward,
directors Joshua Logan, and Garson Kanin, and others.

Hammerstein established and managed the New York City Center
Light Opera Company, for which he was recognized with a
special Tony Award in 1957.

He is survived by his wife, Jane-Howard; his daughters,
Patricia Benner of Durham, N.C., Martha Hammerstein and
Diana Hammerstein, both of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., six
grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

Message has been deleted

goodby...@aol.com

Nov 21, 2005, 7:53:57 AM11/21/05
Did the paid obit actually say "Rogers & ... " or did they get it right?

Hyfler/Rosner

Nov 21, 2005, 9:23:25 AM11/21/05

<goodby...@aol.com>

> Did the paid obit actually say "Rogers & ... " or did they
> get it right?

They spelled it wrong. I didn't even notice. But then, it
would have been worse if they had spelled Hammerstein wrong.

stephenm...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2012, 1:52:21 PM11/13/12
I studied with Christina in New York in the late 60's. She was a delightful woman and a superb vocal instructor. At that time she was separated form Bill Hammerstein, Oscar's son and living in Weston, Ct.

Brad Ferguson

Nov 13, 2012, 1:56:42 PM11/13/12
In article <6d959fd2-4d38-487e...@googlegroups.com>,
She died on 19 November 2005 at the age of 86.