James Glennon, 64, cinematographer (DEADWOOD, ABOUT SCHMIDT)

1 view

Jim Beaver

Oct 20, 2006, 3:16:23 AM10/20/06
Jim Glennon, who was the cinematographer for the majority of episodes of
DEADWOOD, has died, I was informed by a fellow cast member tonight. He was
the son of Bert Glennon, who was the cinematographer on such classics as
STAGECOACH, the original TEN COMMANDMENTS, RIO GRANDE, and the original
HOUSE OF WAX. Jim's own credits include ABOUT SCHMIDT, ELECTION, CITIZEN
RUTH, and CARNIVÁLE as director of photography, and as camera operator on
ALTERED STATES, THE CONVERSATION, ORDINARY PEOPLE, and TRUE CONFESSIONS. He
was the location DP on RETURN OF THE JEDI.

More importantly, he was an absolutely splendid human being, one of the
truest gentlemen it has been my pleasure to know in this business. He was
kind, funny, vastly encouraging, and unfailingly upbeat. In the four years
since I began work on DEADWOOD, I never once recall seeing him without a
smile, and he rarely let a take go by without a compliment to someone
involved.

There's nothing wrong with Hollywood that a dozen Jim Glennons wouldn't
cure.

RIP, my friend.

Jim Beaver