2009 Oscar Obit List

Brad Ferguson

Feb 22, 2009, 11:23:03 PM2/22/09
Intro'd by Queen Latifah at 11:11 p.m. ET. She sang "I'll Be Seeing
You."

Walking the Black Carpet this year, in order:

Cyd Charisse
Bernie Mac
Bud Stone (executive)
Ollie Johnston (animator)
Van Johnson
J. Paul Huntsman (sound)
Michael Crichton
Nina Foch
Pat Hingle
Harold Pinter
Charles H. Joffe (producer)
Kon Ichikawa (director)
Charles H. Schneer (producer)
Abby Mann (screenwriter)
Roy Scheider
David Watkin (director of photography)
Robert Mulligan (director)
Evelyn Keyes
Richard Widmark
Claude Berri (director)
Maila Nurmi (Vampira)
Isaac Hayes
Leonard Rosenman (composer)
Ricardo Montalban
Manny Farber (film critic)
Robert DoQui
Jules Dassin (director)
Paul Scofield
John Michael Hayes (screenwriter)
Warren Cowan (publicist)
Joseph M. Caracciolo (producer)
Stan Winston (special effects)
Ned Tanen (producer, executive)
James Whitmore
Charlton Heston
Anthony Minghella (director, producer)
Sydney Pollack
Paul Newman

Philip

Feb 22, 2009, 11:27:12 PM2/22/09

"Brad Ferguson" <thir...@frXOXed.net> wrote in message

> Kon Ichikawa (director)

Who I think was the only one who wasn't shown during the montage. The
elderly geezer who appeared in the film clip was the actor Rentaro Mikuni.

Hyfler/Rosner

Feb 22, 2009, 11:32:51 PM2/22/09

I completely forgot about Manny Farber, shame on me. But I was right
about Claude Berri.

Very nice tribute for a change.

missann...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2009, 11:43:01 PM2/22/09

I was disappointed to see they left Eartha Kitt off the list.

J.D. Baldwin

Feb 22, 2009, 11:44:50 PM2/22/09

In the previous article, Hyfler/Rosner <rel...@rcn.com> wrote:
> I completely forgot about Manny Farber, shame on me. But I was
> right about Claude Berri.
>
> Very nice tribute for a change.

Would have been nicer if the producers had shown as much concern for
our ability to read the damned captions as they did for our ability to
admire their CGI cleverness.
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

Message has been deleted

Louis Epstein

Feb 22, 2009, 11:58:37 PM2/22/09
A <aa...@att.net> wrote:
:
: <missann...@gmail.com> wrote in message
: news:a7ae05eb-9e79-4c10...@f18g2000vbf.googlegroups.com...
:
: I knew they had to leave someone significant off the list.
: This is the earliest date I've seen the Oscars.
: It used to be in late March or early April.
: Now, it is before the end of February.
: Will it get any earlier in future years, and who keeps making it
: earlier?

They wanted the year-end-released contenders to be in more theaters
and able to get more of an "Oscar boost" from winning.
The current plan is to have it in February except in Winter Olympic
years.

: Maybe Eartha died too late (Dec. 25, 2008) to make it for 2009.
: :-(

Nope,they had James Whitmore,who died more recently.

: Wait for 2010 for her to show up?

She got missed.

-=-=-

orpheus

Feb 23, 2009, 12:02:12 AM2/23/09
On Feb 22, 9:50 pm, "A" <a...@att.net> wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> <missanncand...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>       I knew they had to leave someone significant off the list.
>       This is the earliest date I've seen the Oscars.
>       It used to be in late March or early April.
>       Now, it is before the end of February.
>       Will it get any earlier in future years, and who keeps making it
> earlier?
>       Maybe Eartha died too late (Dec. 25, 2008) to make it for 2009.
>       :-(
>       Wait for 2010 for her to show up?- Hide quoted text -

Doubt it. They put Whitmore in and he was just AO'd.

Message has been deleted

Ted

Feb 23, 2009, 12:50:45 AM2/23/09

> > :      Maybe Eartha died too late (Dec. 25, 2008) to make it for 2009.

Name me one memorable film role she had without resorting to Google or
IMDB.

Eartha Kitt was NOT a movie star. She was a personality who enjoyed
success in nightclubs, on stage
and television. If anyone remembers her for an acting role, it would
be her Catwoman on the TV series
"Batman."

As I posted in another thread -- the Academy is concerned firstly with
its membership and then with
former winners and nominees who may no longer have been members -- and
even then that doesn't
necessarily mean they will include you. I worked for a screenwriter
who was a long-time member, a
one-time nominee and the year she died, she wasn't included in their
"In Memoriam."

loisro...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2009, 11:49:15 AM2/23/09

Actually, Eartha Kitt was in the movies. As was George Carlin, and he
wasn't mentioned either. It was a poor presentation.

dperr...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2009, 12:44:07 PM2/23/09
On Feb 22, 10:44 pm, INVALID_SEE_...@example.com.invalid (J.D.

Baldwin) wrote:
> In the previous article, Hyfler/Rosner <rel...@rcn.com> wrote:
>
> > I completely forgot about Manny Farber, shame on me.  But I was
> > right about Claude Berri.
>
> > Very nice tribute for a change.
>
> Would have been nicer if the producers had shown as much concern for
> our ability to read the damned captions as they did for our ability to
> admire their CGI cleverness.
> --
>   _+_ From the catapult of |If anyone objects to any statement I make, I am
> _|70|___:)=}- J.D. Baldwin |quite prepared not only to retract it, but also
> \      /  bald...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer
> ***~~~~--------------------------------------------------------------------­--

Agree completely. I found the presentation highly annoying.

Brigid Nelson

Feb 23, 2009, 1:18:13 PM2/23/09
Ted wrote:

>>> : Maybe Eartha died too late (Dec. 25, 2008) to make it for 2009.
>

> Name me one memorable film role she had without resorting to Google or
> IMDB.

While I *would* have to run to imdb to find the *character* name, I
found her role in Harriet the Spy to be very memorable.

brigid

R H Draney

Feb 23, 2009, 1:58:05 PM2/23/09
Brad Ferguson filted:

>Intro'd by Queen Latifah at 11:11 p.m. ET. She sang "I'll Be Seeing
>You."

Was this the first time Isaac Hayes appeared at the ceremony since 1972?...r

--
"You got Schadenfreude on my Weltanschauung!"
"You got Weltanschauung in my Schadenfreude!"

J.D. Baldwin

Feb 23, 2009, 2:36:12 PM2/23/09

In the previous article, Ted <nyfilm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Eartha Kitt was NOT a movie star. She was a personality who enjoyed
> success in nightclubs, on stage and television. If anyone remembers
> her for an acting role, it would be her Catwoman on the TV series
> "Batman."

I'm with you. Leaving Lawrence Tierney, Ellen Corby and Kathleen
Freeman out of their years' Oscar tributes was outrageous. Eartha
Kitt is a close call at best.

\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

Brad Ferguson

Feb 23, 2009, 4:56:47 PM2/23/09
In article <gnutrc$55p$1...@reader1.panix.com>, J.D. Baldwin
<INVALID...@example.com.invalid> wrote:

> In the previous article, Ted <nyfilm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Eartha Kitt was NOT a movie star. She was a personality who enjoyed
> > success in nightclubs, on stage and television. If anyone remembers
> > her for an acting role, it would be her Catwoman on the TV series
> > "Batman."
>
> I'm with you. Leaving Lawrence Tierney, Ellen Corby and Kathleen
> Freeman out of their years' Oscar tributes was outrageous. Eartha
> Kitt is a close call at best.

Don LaFontaine should have been included.

Bob Feigel

Feb 23, 2009, 5:00:30 PM2/23/09
[Default] On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 16:56:47 -0500, Brad Ferguson
<thir...@frXOXed.net> magnanimously proffered:

>Don LaFontaine should have been included.

You can say that again ...

--

"It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens." - Woody Allen

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Michael O'Connor

Feb 23, 2009, 5:13:36 PM2/23/09

> >Intro'd by Queen Latifah at 11:11 p.m. ET.  She sang "I'll Be Seeing
> >You."
>
> Was this the first time Isaac Hayes appeared at the ceremony since 1972?...r

Did they show a clip of him from "Escape from New York?" I can't
think of too many movies he was in, EFNY and "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka".

MiNe 109

Feb 23, 2009, 5:29:38 PM2/23/09
In article
<d7027aa2-423d-4624...@f11g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,

His Oscar claim to fame is the soundtrack to "Shaft."

Stephen

Aje RavenStar

Feb 23, 2009, 7:25:35 PM2/23/09

"Michael O'Connor" <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote in message

"It Could Happen To You". (Which is also my nominee for worst retitling
from working title - in this case, 'Cop Tips Waitress $2M', which would have
been a hell of a lot better pull).

lan...@my-deja.com

Feb 23, 2009, 7:45:54 PM2/23/09

Oddly, no Heath Ledger.

Kris Baker

Feb 23, 2009, 7:54:32 PM2/23/09
<lan...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Oddly, no Heath Ledger.

---------------------

He died before last year's ceremony, so was included
in that list.

Kris

lan...@my-deja.com

Feb 23, 2009, 9:06:42 PM2/23/09
On Feb 23, 4:54 pm, "Kris Baker" <parallelcoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <lani...@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> Kris- Hide quoted text -

Ah, I wondered if that was it.

R H Draney

Feb 23, 2009, 9:36:00 PM2/23/09
Bob Feigel filted:

>[Default] On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 16:56:47 -0500, Brad Ferguson
><thir...@frXOXed.net> magnanimously proffered:
>

>>Don LaFontaine should have been included.
>
>You can say that again ...

In a world where the choices for the obit reel make everybody happy, one
man--etc....r

J.D. Baldwin

Feb 23, 2009, 11:02:21 PM2/23/09

In the previous article, Philip <nos...@all.com.au> wrote:
> > Kon Ichikawa (director)
>
> Who I think was the only one who wasn't shown during the montage.
> The elderly geezer who appeared in the film clip was the actor
> Rentaro Mikuni.

I don't think so. That looked like Ichikawa to me. They *started*
with a black-and-white shot of another guy, who might or might not
have been Mikuni, but the color shot that came after the caption was
Ichikawa. I'm pretty sure.

J.D. Baldwin

Feb 23, 2009, 11:09:48 PM2/23/09

In the previous article, Brad Ferguson <Brad Ferguson> wrote:
> > I'm with you. Leaving Lawrence Tierney, Ellen Corby and Kathleen
> > Freeman out of their years' Oscar tributes was outrageous. Eartha
> > Kitt is a close call at best.
>

> Don LaFontaine should have been included.

Just out of gratitude for the sheer amount of dollars the man
generated for the studios, yes.

Comparing against the TCM list, I see Harvey Korman and Patrick
McGoohan were also left off. Those two are pretty bad omissions, in
the same category as Tierney et al. -- worse, even. I'd put
LaFontaine just a notch below them. Eartha Kitt is somewhere below
him.

It bears repeating: they could just outsource this task to the TCM
people, and it would rock.

Louis Epstein

Feb 24, 2009, 12:00:39 AM2/24/09
Aje RavenStar <whine...@comcast.net> wrote:
:
: "Michael O'Connor" <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote in message

(And I have no idea why they downsized the real-life amount,
since the cop and waitress split a $6 million jackpot and did
a commercial for the NY Lottery saying how they got $3 million
each...)

Brad Ferguson

Feb 24, 2009, 1:05:04 AM2/24/09
In article <gnvutn$epl$2...@reader1.panix.com>, Louis Epstein
<l...@main.put.com> wrote:

> Aje RavenStar <whine...@comcast.net> wrote:
> :
> : "Michael O'Connor" <mpoco...@aol.com> wrote in message
> : news:d7027aa2-423d-4624...@f11g2000vbf.googlegroups.com...
> :
> :> >Intro'd by Queen Latifah at 11:11 p.m. ET. She sang "I'll Be Seeing
> :> >You."
> :>
> :> Was this the first time Isaac Hayes appeared at the ceremony since
> :> 1972?...r
> :
> : Did they show a clip of him from "Escape from New York?" I can't
> : think of too many movies he was in, EFNY and "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka".
> :
> : "It Could Happen To You". (Which is also my nominee for worst retitling
> : from working title - in this case, 'Cop Tips Waitress $2M', which would
> : have been a hell of a lot better pull).
>
> (And I have no idea why they downsized the real-life amount,
> since the cop and waitress split a $6 million jackpot and did
> a commercial for the NY Lottery saying how they got $3 million
> each...)

They wound up splitting $285,715 a year over 21 years, ending in 2005.
(That makes it $3,000,007.50 before taxes.) Maybe "two-million-dollar
tip" is more euphonious than "three-million-dollar tip."

In any case, the movie had nothing to do with real life. IRL the cop
was a regular customer at the diner. She picked three of the six
numbers on their lottery ticket, which he'd bought for them both in
lieu of a tip. (There wasn't anything about the cop making up for
stiffing the waitress by promising to split the proceeds from the
ticket if it hit.) Further, the cop and the waitress weren't in love
and never had an affair. They were both happily married. The waitress
has said she'd never go up in a balloon, either.

BTW, the original title was actually "Cop Gives Waitress Two Million
Dollar Tip."

Aje RavenStar

Feb 24, 2009, 7:53:45 AM2/24/09

"Brad Ferguson" <thir...@frXOXed.net> wrote in message

I just put in the working title as I heard it. Have no idea if it was the
original one or not - either way, would have been a better and more
attention title than that generic 'It Could Happen To You'.

And does any movie have anything to do with real life? Other than 'Dick'
and 'Yellow Submarine', of course. <G>