Gene Hermanski, 90, former Brooklyn Dodger

Hoodoo

Aug 10, 2010, 9:24:29 AM8/10/10
I don't consider the <examiner.com> as a reliable source and I cannot
find legitimate confirmation of this death, so, take this article for
what it is.
- - -

Gene Hermanski, longtime Brooklyn Dodger passes away at 90

August 10, 7:54 AM
NY Baseball History Examiner Nicholas Diunte
http://www.examiner.com/x-33368-NY-Baseball-History-Examiner~y2010m8d10-Gene-Hermanski-longtime-Brooklyn-Dodger-passes-away-at-90

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID33368/images/100810054402resized_hermanski.jpg
Gene Hermanski

Gene Hermanski, the former Brooklyn Dodger outfield who suggested that
they all wear number 42 to confuse the alleged snipers threatening
Jackie Robinson died Monday afternoon in Florida. He was 90.

Hermanski was born May 11, 1920 in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, but spent
his formative years in Newark, New Jersey where he would become a
standout at East Side High School. After graduating, he signed in 1939
with the Philadelphia Athletics and later moved on to the Brooklyn
Dodger organization in 1941 after his Pocomoke City team disbanded.

He served in the Navy and the Coast Guard during World War II, spending
most of his time stationed at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn. During
his military service, he was granted a two month leave in 1943 which
allowed him to make his major league debut with the Dodgers. He hit .300
in 60 at-bats before returning to the Navy.

While stationed at Floyd Bennett Field, Hermanski would play with the
legendary semi-pro Brooklyn Bushwicks. Hermanski explained in this 2009
interview why he had to play under the name "Gene Walsh". "I had to
change it [my name]; it was the smartest thing I ever did in my life. If
my commanding officer ever found out that I was playing ball in some
ball park, he'd ship me overseas."

Upon his return to the Dodgers in 1946, Hermanski made the club as a
reserve outfielder. It was there with the Dodgers that he witnessed
baseball's integration happen before his eyes. Hermanski was the
starting left fielder on April 15, 1947, the day Jackie Robinson made
his major league debut. Ralph Branca, along with Hermanski, went over
that day to greet Robinson with a handshake while Robinson was largely
ignored by the rest of his teammates.

He played in two of the Dodgers' World Series appearances (1947 and
1949), batting .308 in their loss to the Yankees in the 1949 classic. He
played with Brooklyn until 1951 when he was traded to the Chicago Cubs
for Andy Pafko. He would spend two more seasons with the Cubs before
becoming part of the exchange between the Cubs and Pittsburgh Pirates
that sent Ralph Kiner to Chicago. Hermanski would play one more season
in 1954 with the Oakland Oaks of the Pacific Coast League, reuniting
with former Dodger manager Charlie Dressen before retiring from
baseball. He finished with a lifetime batting average of .272 over nine
major league seasons.

After his playing career was over, he worked as a sales representative
for Tose Incorporated. At the time of his passing, he was the last
living player from the starting lineups of both teams for Robinson's
debut. Ed Stevens is currently the last surviving player that
participated that game.

More Info -

Gene Hermanski turns 90, the former Brooklyn Dodger recalls his time
with the Bushwicks - Examiner.com

Gene Hermanski World War II Profile - Baseball in Wartime

A new era dawns - SI.com

--
Trout Mask Replica

KFJC.org, WFMU.org, WMSE.org, or WUSB.org;
because the pigoenholed programming of music channels
on Sirius Satellite, and its internet radio player, suck

hyfler/rosner

Aug 10, 2010, 10:21:25 AM8/10/10
On Aug 10, 9:24 am, Hoodoo <ver...@objectmail.com> wrote:
> I don't consider the <examiner.com> as a reliable source and I cannot
> find legitimate confirmation of this death, so, take this article for
> what it is.

You should. It's the online version of the San Francisco Examiner.
Extremely legitimate.

danny burstein

Aug 10, 2010, 10:29:23 AM8/10/10
In <d851d15a-4245-44f6...@l6g2000yqb.googlegroups.com> "hyfler/rosner" <amelia...@gmail.com> writes:

Are you sure of that? My impression was it's a loosely organized
group of nationwide bloggers and computer programs who mostly scavenge
(a polite word for steal) articles written by others, re-package
them, and hope for ad clicks.

dan...@panix.com

Evan Hulka

Aug 10, 2010, 12:05:26 PM8/10/10

No, it isn't. The online version of the SF Examiner (which,
incidentally, has devolved into a free tabloid in the last decade) is
sfexaminer.com. No relation between the two.

Hulka

Message has been deleted

Bill Schenley

Aug 10, 2010, 12:31:24 PM8/10/10
> > I don't consider the <examiner.com> as
> > a reliable source and I cannot find legitimate
> > confirmation of this death, so, take this article
> > for what it is.
>
> You should. It's the online version of the
> San Francisco Examiner. Extremely legitimate.

This obituary is from The New York Baseball
History Examiner and it was written by Nicholas
Diunte, who is a member of SABR.

Matthew Kruk

Aug 10, 2010, 3:28:51 PM8/10/10
"danny burstein" <dan...@panix.com> wrote in message

> In <d851d15a-4245-44f6...@l6g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>
> "hyfler/rosner" <amelia...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>On Aug 10, 9:24=A0am, Hoodoo <ver...@objectmail.com> wrote:
>>> I don't consider the <examiner.com> as a reliable source and I
>>> cannot
>>> find legitimate confirmation of this death, so, take this article
>>> for
>>> what it is.
>
>>You should. It's the online version of the San Francisco Examiner.
>>Extremely legitimate.
>
> Are you sure of that? My impression was it's a loosely organized
> group of nationwide bloggers and computer programs who mostly scavenge
> (a polite word for steal) articles written by others, re-package
> them, and hope for ad clicks.

Correct. Nothing to do with SF.

Hoodoo

Aug 10, 2010, 4:03:06 PM8/10/10
danny burstein <dan...@panix.com>, on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 14:29:23 +0000
(UTC), in alt.obituaries, spoke thusly:

>In <d851d15a-4245-44f6...@l6g2000yqb.googlegroups.com> "hyfler/rosner" <amelia...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>On Aug 10, 9:24=A0am, Hoodoo <ver...@objectmail.com> wrote:
>>> I don't consider the <examiner.com> as a reliable source and I cannot
>>> find legitimate confirmation of this death, so, take this article for
>>> what it is.
>
>>You should. It's the online version of the San Francisco Examiner.
>>Extremely legitimate.
>
>Are you sure of that? My impression was it's a loosely organized
>group of nationwide bloggers and computer programs who mostly scavenge
>(a polite word for steal) articles written by others, re-package
>them, and hope for ad clicks.

That is my impression of the <examiner.com> website, and, what I have
read about it.

Hoodoo

Aug 10, 2010, 4:12:58 PM8/10/10
"Bill Schenley" <stra...@neo.rr.com>, on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:31:24
-0400, in alt.obituaries, spoke thusly:

You may be familiar with the article author, but, I am not. I'll pass,
at this time, on returning to the article webpage in hope of learning
what SABR means.

From what I have read about the <examiner.com> method of operation, I
would not depend on articles originating there as being sufficiently
valid.

I utilized the various links on the article's webpage hoping to find a
connection to a reliable news source but found none. The lack of
attribution - or corroborating content found elsewhere through a news
search - concerned me enough to include my cautionary comment.

Matthew Kruk

Aug 10, 2010, 4:14:32 PM8/10/10
"Hoodoo" <ver...@objectmail.com> wrote in message

> danny burstein <dan...@panix.com>, on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 14:29:23 +0000
> (UTC), in alt.obituaries, spoke thusly:
>
>>In <d851d15a-4245-44f6...@l6g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>

>>>You should. It's the online version of the San Francisco Examiner.
>>>Extremely legitimate.
>>
>>Are you sure of that? My impression was it's a loosely organized
>>group of nationwide bloggers and computer programs who mostly scavenge
>>(a polite word for steal) articles written by others, re-package
>>them, and hope for ad clicks.
>
> That is my impression of the <examiner.com> website, and, what I have
> read about it.

"How Much Are Examiner.com Writers Really Earning?"

http://writersweekly.com/the_latest_from_angelahoycom/005364_05132009.html

N D

Aug 10, 2010, 4:28:33 PM8/10/10
I'm sorry that you don't consider my writing legitimate, but I
confirmed it via phone with his wife after being emailed earlier in
the day by a family member. I have updated the article to reflect
that. You know some of us writers who don't work for the major news
outlets do beat the larger papers to a story. A lot who write for
Examiner do more than "blog" or "steal" as you said earlier.

On Aug 10, 4:12 pm, Hoodoo <ver...@objectmail.com> wrote:
> "Bill Schenley" <stray...@neo.rr.com>, on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:31:24

> -0400, in alt.obituaries, spoke thusly:

> You may be familiar with the article author, but, I am not. I'll pass,

Hoodoo

Aug 10, 2010, 7:34:55 PM8/10/10
N D <ndi...@yahoo.com>, on Tue Aug 10 2010 15:28:33 GMT-0500 (Central
Daylight Time), spoke thusly:

> I'm sorry that you don't consider my writing legitimate, but I
> confirmed it via phone with his wife after being emailed earlier in
> the day by a family member. I have updated the article to reflect
> that.

That's all well and good in hindsight, but, without attribution
regarding your source(s) and the plethora of pilfered and rehashed
content typically found within <examiner.com> articles, I wasn't about
to give you an automatic pass.

You know some of us writers who don't work for the major news
> outlets do beat the larger papers to a story.

That's fine and commendable. However, the track record which I've
encountered within 'examiner' articles makes that a rare occurrence.

A lot who write for
> Examiner do more than "blog" or "steal" as you said earlier.

I didn't state it. I merely agreed with the person who did.

I've got no quarrel with you. I merely dislike the venue through which
you report.

Corby Gilmore

Aug 12, 2010, 8:26:13 PM8/12/10
Hoodoo (ver...@objectmail.com) writes:
> "Bill Schenley" <stra...@neo.rr.com>, on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:31:24
> -0400, in alt.obituaries, spoke thusly:

>>> You should. It's the online version of the
>>> San Francisco Examiner. Extremely legitimate.
>>
>>This obituary is from The New York Baseball
>>History Examiner and it was written by Nicholas
>>Diunte, who is a member of SABR.
>
> You may be familiar with the article author, but, I am not. I'll pass,
> at this time, on returning to the article webpage in hope of learning
> what SABR means.

It stands for something like "Society of American Baseball Researchers";
I may be off on one or two words. "Sabermetrics" refers to the collection
and analysis of baseball statistics.