Marcella Free; another ad legend

Hyfler/Rosner

Jan 1, 2008, 1:55:33 PM1/1/08
Marcella Free

FREE--Marcella, born on September 17, 1920 in Oakland,
California, died at the age of 87 in Rye, New York, after a
brief illness. Founding partner at the advertising firm of
Avrett, Free and Ginsburg, Mrs. Free was well respected and
acknowledged as one of the industry's leading copywriters. A
pioneer for women in the advertising business she was the
first female Creative Director at N.W. Ayer in Philadelphia
in the 1940's. With her former husband, William Free, she
created memorable campaigns for companies such as Nescafe,
Coca Cola, Purina, National Airlines, Pfizer and Gillette,
to name but a few. She received several Clio awards for her
creative work. She once advised her daughter that the only
way for a woman to have a lifelong career in the advertising
business was to have her name on the door. Following her
retirement to her beloved home in Watermill, New York, she
devoted herself to her garden, entertaining and a variety of
local environmental and animal rights causes. In her last
few years, she completed a memoir entitled "Somewhere Warm"
of her time spent in post war Europe, writing and painting
with fellow ex-pats. She is fondly remembered for her sharp
wit, her enduring attachment to her manual typewriter, her
loyalty to her small circle of friends, and her
determination to master the only thing that ever eluded
her -fluency in the Italian language. She is survived by her
three children, Abigail Free of Katonah, Adam Free of Pound
Ridge and Molly Free of Guilford, CT, and five
grandchildren, Lucas and Molly Natali, Madeline Free and
Jack and Kate McClement. A memorial service will be held at
a future date to be announced. Donations may be made to The
Animal Rescue Fund of the Hamptons, Daniel's Hole Road P.O.
Box 901 Wainscott, NY 11975.

Published in the New York Times on 1/1/2008.

--
Visit www.aodeadpool.com

La N

Jan 1, 2008, 2:09:14 PM1/1/08

"Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com> wrote in message

> Marcella Free
>
> FREE--Marcella, born on September 17, 1920 in Oakland, California,
> died at the age of 87 in Rye, New York, after a brief illness. Founding
> partner at the advertising firm of Avrett, Free and Ginsburg, Mrs. Free
> was well respected and acknowledged as one of the industry's leading
> copywriters.

Having been at various times during my life a PR hack, I really respect
those who can write good persuasive copy.

- nililta