Thad Tillotson [1], 71; Pitched for New York Yankees

Bill Schenley

May 21, 2012, 12:50:36 PM5/21/12
Thaddious Asa Tillatson Jr. "Thad"
December 20, 1940 - May 16, 2012

1967 Topps (#553) baseball card:
http://tinyurl.com/d6nobds

Back
http://tinyurl.com/7t3wtzx

FROM: The Merced (CA) Sun ~
(Paid obit)

Thad was born in Merced, CA on December 20, 1940.

He passed away May 16, 2012 at the age of 71.

He grew up in Merced, attended local schools and was a Merced High
School graduate. Thad served in the United States Army and was
stationed at Fort Ord California and later attended Fresno State
College. He played in the minor leagues then was picked up by the Los
Angeles Dodgers. He was later traded to the New York Yankees where he
was a relief pitcher from 1967-1968.

Thad enjoyed singing country music with his mother. He recorded county
records at Buck Owens studio. Thad also bowled for many years at
Century Bowl, Bellevue Bowl and Castle Lanes. He also served on the
Board of Directors for several years. After his baseball career, he
worked for Ragu Foods and Lipton Foods for over 30 years, retiring in
2000.

He is preceded in death by his parents Thaddious Asa Tillatson and
Della Tillatson.

He is survived by his wife Monta Tillatson, step children Brad
Tillatson, Michael Stout, Kristen Cox (John), Jeffery Stout (Tina),
Renee Haugen and Brandi Ervin, 14 grandchildren and sister Dena, one
nephew, one niece and cousins.

He leaves family and friends with many good memories. Per his request,
no services to be held.

Arrangements are under the direction of Whitton Family Funeral
Service.

MLB stats:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/tilloth01.shtml

Thanks to Jack Morris from SABR for this obit.

[1] Apparently he spelled his name differently when he was out of
baseball.

Evan Hulka

May 21, 2012, 3:30:56 PM5/21/12
On May 21, 9:50 am, Bill Schenley <b.schen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thaddious Asa Tillatson Jr. "Thad"
>
> He is preceded in death by his parents Thaddious Asa Tillatson and
> Della Tillatson.
>
> He is survived by his wife Monta Tillatson, step children Brad
> Tillatson, Michael Stout, Kristen Cox (John), Jeffery Stout (Tina),
> Renee Haugen and Brandi Ervin, 14 grandchildren and sister Dena, one
> nephew, one niece and cousins.
>
> [1] Apparently he spelled his name differently when he was out of
> baseball.

If his parents and his other relatives all spelled it "Tillatson," it
seems more accurate to say his name was spelled differently when he
was in baseball.

Hulka

Brad Ferguson

May 21, 2012, 5:09:04 PM5/21/12
In article
<d35df52f-7214-4c5a...@n5g2000pbg.googlegroups.com>,
My guess is that they spelled it wrong on his first contract, and it
was just easier to leave it that way.

David Carson

May 27, 2012, 11:19:59 PM5/27/12
On Mon, 21 May 2012 17:09:04 -0400, Brad Ferguson <thir...@frXOXed.net>
wrote:

>My guess is that they spelled it wrong on his first contract, and it
>was just easier to leave it that way.

When I refinanced my home mortgage, I went to the closing and saw that
they misspelled my name on all ten zillion pages of the documents. When I
pointed out their mistake, they said, "it doesn't matter" and asked me to
sign my name, using their misspelling, on all hundred signature lines,
including a document where I was to affirm that it really was my name, and
that any future claims that I didn't go by that name were automatically
void. I told them no dice. They were put out, and made a big deal about
how my intransigence was fouling up their whole timetable and costing them
money. "But that isn't my name." The more they howled about how much this
was hurting them and how unreasonable I was being, the more I enjoyed it.

David Carson
--
Why do you seek the living among the dead? -- Luke 24:5
Who's Alive and Who's Dead

marys4ev...@yahoo.com

Jul 29, 2015, 10:15:38 PM7/29/15
My mothers Uncle was Asa my Grandfathers Brother. Thad was a cousin and his last name is spelled Tillotson. I have no idea why it would be spelled wrong but I will look into it.

MJ Emigh

Jul 29, 2015, 10:33:57 PM7/29/15
Well, I always saw it as "Tillotson." I didn't know the guy, but anyone who pitched in a game for the Yankees in '67 is A-OK with me. I'm pretty sure he played in Japan later on.