tmbg concert

Matt Edwards

Nov 23, 1992, 2:49:00 PM11/23/92
Newsgroups: alt.music.tmbg,rec.music.dementia
Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants in concert

Well, I saw TMBG at Cal State Fullerton last night....

Quasi-review:

I'm glad there were no chairs! I hate when lots of Yellow Shirts
are in attendance and insist that you stay in your chair. They let
everyone dance to their hearts content (No dude-passing tho).

This god-awful band opened up, I don't remember the name. It was
the same guy who was on tour with them when they played in Michigan
circa the Flood days. Back then it was just this
guy by himself playing a guitar and a ukelele. YUK
This time he had a band, and just about everyone hated them...

Quoth the singer: 'Well, since your attitute is so great, we'll
just have to play the song again, with the ukelele...'

(Which they did)

Then they got ticked off and played 'Born to be wild' ;)

Eventually TMBG come on and opened to 'The Guitar'.
Most of the set was similar to others I've seen posted.
The bass player loused up on 'Number 3' and kept playing
during one of the saxophone parts. He and accordian John exchanged
smiles with that...

The 'Spin the dial' was 'Thunder and lighting' (??) or 'Knock on wood' (??) by
Sam and Dave (I think). It sounded like 'Soul man' but
was some other song. They all seemed to pull it off pretty
well! The bass solo left a bit to be desired but as a bass
player I tend to be over-critical!

They also did hideaway folk family with everyone doing the
brooklyn car-alarm sounds, everyone over 200 lbs has to shout
Hey you! Get away from my car!
I personally wanted to 'scream as if I was in hell' but I guess
they weren't into that. *smile*

For the most part the audience was cool, there were some people
just kinda standing around with a dazed expression as if they
weren't sure what to make of it all.

This concert was louder than their previous, 'Constallation' was
so loud and distorted you couldn't make out any of the parts.
This didn't prevent me from doing the berserker-bonzo dance
and getting strange looks from everyone.

The first encore was this horrid rendition of 'We are the world'
wich was sang devoid of verses (thankfully) and even the chorus
was chopped of a few worlds. It was interesting.
The second encore included the strange version of Istanbul which
has guitar john picking up one of the
green stage lights and shining it at his face for a
eerie effect.

Guitar John was also outside at the T-shirt booth signing shirts
after the show but I was really tired and didn't feel like
fighting the lines to have my back scrawled on. :)

One other note about this show - Accordian John seemed to
mumble words to songs even more than in past shows.
It bugs me when he drags out the words to a point of incoherency *grin*

All in all, it was a cool show!

Ribbit