Favourite Songs from TAFH?

Bill Farkle

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
TAFH, The Last Song, Marquis in Spades, Mouths of Babes, Pennies.
Kevin

Nosferatu wrote:

> ?

Nosferatu

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
?

fudge

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
'cherry'
'set the ray to jerry'
'mouths of babes'
'tafh'
i know it's a cover but i absolutely love 'you're all i've got tonight'
'dreaming' too

>?

Mark Edler

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
My favourite song from TAFH is TAFH :) It's one of of the few occasions when
a title track deserves that status.

Mark

Nosferatu wrote in message <7u3id4$fdb$1...@news.wave.co.nz>...
>?

Jack Tripper

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Mouth of Babes is my favourite, followed closely by dreaming, cherry, the
boy, pennies, and TAFH. The whole bloody thing is great though...makes it
tough to pick out the real favourites.

JT

-Brian-

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Nosferatu wrote:

> ?

Jupiter's Lament
Marquis in Spades
Medellia of the Gray Skies
Mouths of Babes
The Aeroplane Flies High
The Boy
The Last Song

Yep... those are the top of the crop.

--

[http://home.san.rr.com/obscured]
[Pumpkins.Garbage.Hum.StaticX.Creed.Slumber]

Michael Rittenberry

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Here are my top five faves (in order):
StRtJ
TAFH
The Last Song
My Blue Heaven
Tribute to Johnny
--
-Michael Rittenberry

"Be good and watch out for snakes."
-John Grayson, THE MAGIC BOX (weeknights on Nashville's 99.7 FM)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sjoerd

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Hehe, seems almost everyone owning TAFH consideres TAFH and Mouths of
Babes the best songs.

Sjoerd.

spaceboy

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
I'd agree, but you left off "...Said Sadly" and "Set the Ray to Jerry"...
matches my list exactly otherwise.
Does anybody else think that _some_ of the songs from TAFH kick the crap out
of _some_ of the stuff on MCIS?

spaceboy99

-Brian- <obsc...@san.rr.com> wrote in message

-Brian-

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
spaceboy wrote:

> Does anybody else think that _some_ of the songs from TAFH kick the crap out
> of _some_ of the stuff on MCIS?

Well... I think they could've at least dropped Lily for something else.

But hey it just doesnt seem right any other way now. I love mcis just the way
it is.

Bisquicker

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
>?

Marquis in Spades, The Last Song, Tonite Reprise, TAFH, Transformer, ..Said
Sadly, Mouthes of Babes, Pennies, Rotten Apples....the list goes on..and
on..but, we should do a list of songs people can't stand...like...The Bells,
Medellia of the Gray Skies..you know what I'm talking about? Those are just a
few...
*Angela*

"At the time, I was drinking a lot of diet pepsi, now don't go judging me too
quickly, I had a lot of stress, music, and college papers to finish. If I can
be candid, I also had a few latte's down at the local cafe." -James 7-14-99

The Scottish Guy

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
my personal favourite is blank, but ummm also rotten apples, pennies, clones
destination unknown dreaming my blue heaven and bassically the rest of the
tonitgh tonight single

My life has been extraordinary, blessed and cursed and won
Who am I to deserve your love and sympathy

Bisquicker

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
>Hey Medellia is an awesome song.

You know, Medeilla is a good song, but the sound quality is really bad, and I
think that's why I "don't like it", I like the lyrics, but the sound is just
weird.

(Insert Alias Here)

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
mouth of babes... like everyone

set the ray to jerry
pennies
pastachio medely
rotten apples

many more but these are my favorites.

-adam

Adam Short

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Mouth of Babes
Ugly
Cherry
Rotten Apples
TAFH

-Brian-

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Bisquicker wrote:

> on..but, we should do a list of songs people can't stand...like...The Bells,
> Medellia of the Gray Skies..you know what I'm talking about? Those are just a

Hey Medellia is an awesome song.

The Bells I can live without... but Medellia is really nice.

Mezzanine

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
set the ray to jerry
TAFH
god
marquis in spades
rotten apples
jupiter's lament
pennies
cherry
the last song
tribute to johnny
medillia
clones
dreaming

couple are covers, but still make the list...

erica

Death to Shiori

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
-Brian- wrote:

>spaceboy wrote:
>
>> Does anybody else think that _some_ of the songs from TAFH kick the crap
>out
>> of _some_ of the stuff on MCIS?
>
>Well... I think they could've at least dropped Lily for something else.

NO NO NO NO NO!!

Lily is one of those songs that doesn't get the recoginztion (yeah I didn't
spell it right..I know) it deserves. I *love* Lily. Whenever I play it I get
this mini video in my head of all the actions....I love love Lily. I think it's
position right after Beautiful is like..perfect.

>But hey it just doesnt seem right any other way now. I love mcis just the
>way
>it is.

Hai Hai.

Stil..how could you even think about taking away LILY?!

Anyhow.

~TnM
Off to watch SailormoonS again. Damn I need more subs.
-----
Someone
Stop my hands from shaking
Iron in my spine's conducting lightning
Raging Anger
Yeah, you've never been truly mine,
But if you were, yes if you were...
I wouldn't want you anyway
------
Remove "Evermeet" to mail me.

-Brian-

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Bisquicker wrote:

> >Hey Medellia is an awesome song.
>

> You know, Medeilla is a good song, but the sound quality is really bad, and I
> think that's why I "don't like it", I like the lyrics, but the sound is just
> weird.

Yeah unfortunately the recording sounds really bad for that song.

Kevin Sullivan

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
What about Siamese Dream!? That should have been a single,
not a b-side! :P

"Mark Edler" <kra...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My favourite song from TAFH is TAFH :) It's one of of the few occasions when
>a title track deserves that status.
>
>Mark

Ryan Singer

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Lily is an awesome song.

Death to Shiori <noe...@aol.comEvermeet> wrote in message

Death to Shiori

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
Bisquicker wrote:

>>Hey Medellia is an awesome song.
>
>You know, Medeilla is a good song, but the sound quality is really bad, and I
>think that's why I "don't like it", I like the lyrics, but the sound is just
>weird.

I think the sound actually adds to the beauty of the song. Medellia has always
struck me as a sort of mysterious and longing song...I think the somewhat bad
sound adds to it.

~TnM
Medellia is just..ooh. I would love to hear it live.

Carl Davis

Oct 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/14/99
spaceboy wrote:

> I'd agree, but you left off "...Said Sadly" and "Set the Ray to Jerry"...
> matches my list exactly otherwise.

> Does anybody else think that _some_ of the songs from TAFH kick the crap out
> of _some_ of the stuff on MCIS?

i think rolling stone actually gave tafh 4 stars but previously had given only 3
or so stars to mcis. this goes back a while, but i think many pumpkins fans
have expressed devotion to certain singles. perhaps the pumpkins in collected
doses of related material/songs have an impact on the listener that a whole
album can't always accomplish.

i listen to mcis in the following way: sorting through the songs by fast
forwarding to certain songs that form a collective group of similar emotional
content. i think gish and siamese dream as *albums* maintained a sequential or
at least consistent pattern of thought while for me, mcis seemed to run the
gamut perhaps via billy's very public desire to exercise all pumpkin energy in
one final blowout.

we all realize billy's different styles of expression. for an outsider, it's
hard to belive tales of a scorched earth and blank (as one example out of many)
came from the same person. i really like listening to pumpkins singles - i
think each of them, from early to current, really touch me.

i haven't really been into the pumpkins as much lately. i bought an april
concert demo from a very gracious internet friend, but i think there has been
much transition and change in the pumpkin camp. one need only look at the linup
changes over the past few years. i personally loved adore and treasured the
atlanta performance in august 98 as by FAR the most incredible performance i
have ever attended. the dc appearances on the mcis tour, although noteworthy
for the last appearances of jimmy (til now haha), were good, but they certainly
didn't have the impact of the adore tour.

i think all of us pumpkins fans are wondering what is going to be on this next
album? listening to the fragile on the way home from work tongiht, i wondered
how has trent maintained this constancy of emotion through so many years,
perfecting it to breathtaking ability.

i don't think billy corgan is the same way. i believe that as the listener we
will be taken into the billy corgan of 1999. this is, at least through my eyes,
a very different bily than we saw in 1991 (or 93 or 95). the emotional concerns
and insights we saw in earlier works may not be on the forefront of corgan99's
brain. i hope that the same power and influence that was exhibited in years
past will be released next february.

only time will tell, but i am sure that the next pumpkin album will represent a
hard-fought insight into billy99's mind. i am pretty certain now that some
people will not like the next pumpkins record simply because it does not sound
like siamese dream/mcis/etc, but i trust that it will, at the very least, be
honest. billy corgan has never written anything dishonest, at least to my
knowledge.

i am excited to hear the next pumpins record. i have not always loved the
pumpkins, but i have always listened closely to their music. reading interviews
with billy led me to discover my bloody valentine, in whom i discovered more
beauty and catharsis than i ever thought possible through sound.

i know this post started with a thread about tafh. i don't post often to this
newsgroup, but i incessantly lurk. i think there are many of us who look at
today's music scene and do not see ourselves. salvation and strength is not
found in catchiness, but in truth. i will refrain from mentioning any names,
but we all know that when we turn on the radio today, we will not hear songs
that make us think.

i trust in the pumpkins to inspire me in february and i urge everyone to
remember why certain songs and bands touched them in the first place...

carL

Nosferatu

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
I just realised I didn't post my favourites.

TAFH
The Boy
Cherry
Pennies
Mouths of Babes
Youre all I've got tonight

I really like The Boy. Has James done many songs as good as this one?
I'm not a huge Take me down fan but I like Blew Away.
Nosferatu <no...@wave.co.nz> wrote in message
> ?

Amrkinmade

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
ive notice no one said ugly -i really love that song...actually i love every
song on there, god is another fav, blank, medilla of gray skies, and tonite
reprise is pretty good

-andrea

plague79

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
The Gods of Usenet tell me that on Fri, 15 Oct 1999 08:15:47 +1300,
"Nosferatu" <no...@wave.co.nz> spoke the following:

>I just realised I didn't post my favourites.
>
>TAFH
>The Boy
>Cherry
>Pennies
>Mouths of Babes
>Youre all I've got tonight

Well off the top of my head:
Mouths of Babes
TAFH
Tribute to Johnny
Marquis in spades
God
Transformer
Rotten Apples
Clones

ummm....of the top of my head thats all I can think of at the moment

plague79
"And postin "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er
I should do the world a favor and cap you like Old
Yeller. You're just about as useless as jpegs to
Helen Keller"
-Weird Al
"Its All About the Pentiums"

isra

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
almost the whole of both the 33 and Zero singles, except for the Pastichio
Medley. While it has some really great riffs and moments, i consider it
unlistenable for sustained periods of time. it drives me insane.

Mark Edler

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
Even though it sounds like it was recorded in Billys bathroom it's still a
great song.

Mark

Bisquicker wrote in message
<19991014165310...@ng-cn1.aol.com>...

>>Hey Medellia is an awesome song.
>
>You know, Medeilla is a good song, but the sound quality is really bad, and
>think that's why I "don't like it", I like the lyrics, but the sound is
just
>weird.

XShad0wfaX

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
>> ?

TAFH

Medellia of the Gray Skies
Mouths of Babes

Cherry
Tonight Reprise
The Boy
Dreaming
Said Sadly
The Last Song

~~~~
Natalya Dawn

"La Dolly Vita? Isn't that that Ricky Martin song? I love that song! He is
soooo hot!!"
~MaeLee

Sleepy

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
jupiter's lament (duh!)

set the ray to jerry
mouths of babes
the last song
tafh
cherry
meladori magpie

-
-Sleepy- (whose computer went through hell and back today)

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 16:22:35 +1300, "Nosferatu" <no...@wave.co.nz>
wrote:

>?

Tim Byron.

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
noe...@aol.comEvermeet (Death to Shiori):

>Bisquicker wrote:
>
>>>Hey Medellia is an awesome song.
>>
>>You know, Medeilla is a good song, but the sound quality is really bad, and I
>>think that's why I "don't like it", I like the lyrics, but the sound is just
>>weird.
>

>I think the sound actually adds to the beauty of the song. Medellia has always
>struck me as a sort of mysterious and longing song...I think the somewhat bad
>sound adds to it.
>
>~TnM
>Medellia is just..ooh. I would love to hear it live.

Yeah. I agree with that.

I find that, as I listen to TAFH, I go through phases as to which disc is my
favourite. At the moment it's the Tonite CD. All the other CDs have been there
though.

My favourite TAFH song would have to be either Pennies or Meladori Magpie.

tim.
np - Jeff Buckley - Lilac Wine
ICQ: 9593857. http://www.zip.com.au/~winsloe/shada.html
Riding on city buses for a hobby is sad.

Bisquicker

Oct 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/15/99
>i don't think billy corgan is the same way.

Hmmm...Billy did a CD not too long ago that had as much emotion as The
Fragile..damn, I wish I could remember the title of that CD...it's escaped
me..oh yeah, it's Adore! Silly me! When

>a very different bily than we saw in 1991 (or 93 or 95)

Yup, and 98...

> i hope that the same power and influence that was exhibited in years
>past will be released next february.

What? so they can release another Siamese Dream? Nah, why would you want that?

>i am pretty certain now that some
>people will not like the next pumpkins record simply because it does not
>sound
>like siamese dream/mcis/etc

DURRRR! What record was that? Forget the future, that already happened! Are you
in la la land? The record was Adore, the year was '98....

>billy corgan has never written anything dishonest, at least to my
>knowledge.

Yea, you know that Lily song? That wasn't really about Billy and what he did
when he was 15...it was really James, how dishonest is that? :-Ş

Ok, look at all the albums, it being that you think that they don't have any
"truth" to them...(I know you don't mean all the albums, and if you do, you
will have to die) you think that songs like 33, Disarm, Silver*crank*, X.Y.U,
Galapogos, Mayonaise, Rocket, Once Upon a Time, Behold! The Nightmare, FOR
MARTHA, Blank Page, Shame...those songs purely show Billy and what he's all
about, what would Billy write that's DISHONEST? Pfftt....<blows out the bad
energy...> Forget it, I'm not saying anything more..

Dagger

Oct 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/18/99

Death to Shiori escribió en mensaje
<19991014172446...@ng-fp1.aol.com>...

>-Brian- wrote:
>
>Lily is one of those songs that doesn't get the recoginztion (yeah I didn't
>spell it right..I know) it deserves. I *love* Lily. Whenever I play it I
get
>this mini video in my head of all the actions....I love love Lily. I think
it's
>position right after Beautiful is like..perfect.

I love Lily. It´s...
In fact, I think the end of the disc 2 in MCIS is the best in all the album.
By Starlight... Wow...

DAGGER

Los Dientes de Ava: http://www.paisvirtual.com/musica/rock_pop/Dagger
Página en español de los Smashing Pumpkins...