Biafra Vs. Fake Dead Kennedys

Flesh

Sep 6, 2003, 5:55:56 PM9/6/03
Tonight, Biafra will be doing a benefit for the West Memphis 3, free
of charge, and asking for just donations .

The fake Dead Kennedys will be playing an arean rock show, sponsored
by Coke.

Flesh

Sep 6, 2003, 7:04:02 PM9/6/03
[Amazing how relevant the lyrics are]

So it's Halloween
And you feel like dancin'
And you feel like shinin'
And you feel like letting loose
Whatcha gonna be?
Babe, you better know
And you better plan
Better plan all day
Better plan all week
Better plan all month
Better plan all year

You're dressed up like a clown
Putting on your act
It's the only time all year
You'll ever admit that
I can see your eyes
I can see your brain
Baby nothing's changed
You're still hiding in a mask
You take your fun seriously
No, don't blow this year's chance
Tomorrow your mold goes back on
After Halloween
You go to work today
You'll go to work tomorrow
Shitfaced tonight
You'll brag about it for months
Remember what I did
Remember what I was
Back on Halloween
But what's in between?
Where are your ideas?
You sit around and dream
For next Halloween
Why not everyday?
Are you so afraid
What will people say
After Halloween
Because your roll is planned for you There's nothing you can do
But stop and think it through
But what will your boss say to you
And what will your girlfriend say to you
And what will people out on the street
They might glare at you
And whadya know?
You're pretty self - conscious too

So you run back and stuff yourselves in rigid business costumes
Only at night to score is your leather uniform exhumed
Why don't you take your social regulations
And shove 'em up your ass

George Perry

Sep 6, 2003, 7:34:28 PM9/6/03

"Flesh" <fl...@pigdog.org> wrote in message

> [Amazing how relevant the lyrics are]

> So you run back and stuff yourselves in rigid business costumes

> Only at night to score is your leather uniform exhumed
> Why don't you take your social regulations
> And shove 'em up your ass

Biafra's got a catalo of amazing songs that anyone would be proud of. i'm
sure he's damn proud of it too, hence the endless lawsuits and
counter-suits.

On the other hand,
"No junk food, just earthly goods" just doesn't ring true.

i'd go with the junk food. After all, nobody ever hid a razor blade in a
bag of Doritos!

(sorry, i was out in the sun too long today!)

Grandpa Helicopter

Sep 7, 2003, 3:04:24 PM9/7/03
Flesh <fl...@pigdog.org> wrote in message news:<cflklvs4vshv61svk...@4ax.com>...

I can imagine between bands, without skipping a beat, an announcer
ending his pitch with:
"Sponsored by Coke -- the Real Thing!"

It's fucking sickening just to think about.

As Biafra says,
"That's why so many rock songs pushed by major labels have one
message alone: shut up and shop."

ChodeMasterJ

Sep 8, 2003, 1:44:03 AM9/8/03
Flesh <fl...@pigdog.org> wrote in news:cflklvs4vshv61svkrutsfapgc17ttt05e@
4ax.com:

was it just him doing spoken word or was it him being backed up by a band?
if there was a band, who was it? Thanks.

James

Dee

Sep 13, 2003, 9:09:49 PM9/13/03
> > Tonight, Biafra will be doing a benefit for the West Memphis 3, free
> > of charge, and asking for just donations .
> >
> > The fake Dead Kennedys will be playing an arean rock show, sponsored
> > by Coke.

That's nice that he's doing the benefit for WM3, but don't pretend
Biafra's a saint. He has done big arena rock festivals with
mega-corporate sponsorship in the past himself (The Livid Festival in
Brisbane, Australia, for which he received 10 grand)....

Both the Fake DKs and Biafra are in the business of entertainment as a
means of making money. The Fake DKs intentions are completely obvious;
Biafra is more insidious.

George Perry

Sep 14, 2003, 10:42:43 AM9/14/03

"Dee" <carro...@fresnomail.com> wrote in message

Clue in.

Shame on Biafra for wanting to pay his bills and eat once in a while. 10
grand? Big deal. What's airfare from The States to Australia? 10 grand
Australian equals what, six and a half US? My guess is that for a week's
worth of work, Biafra walked away with five hundred or a thousand US.
Working class wages kids, working fucking class.

Grandpa Helicopter

Sep 14, 2003, 3:49:47 PM9/14/03
"George Perry" <georg...@sympatico.caca> wrote in message news:<U6%8b.60$mv6....@news20.bellglobal.com>...

> "Dee" <carro...@fresnomail.com> wrote in message

> > That's nice that he's doing the benefit for WM3, but don't pretend
> > Biafra's a saint. He has done big arena rock festivals with
> > mega-corporate sponsorship in the past himself (The Livid Festival in
> > Brisbane, Australia, for which he received 10 grand)....
> >
> > Both the Fake DKs and Biafra are in the business of entertainment as a
> > means of making money. The Fake DKs intentions are completely obvious;
> > Biafra is more insidious.

The fake DK's also completely suck, even if their music is still okay.
Which corporations sponsored the Livid festival?

On "If Evolution is Outlawed" Biafra talks about corporate sponsorship
of the Summer of Love tour and how Miller popped the balloons after he
made an offensive comment toward them. He also appeared on
politically incorrect (merged with Disney) and has attended religious
right conventions. I think Biafra usually accepts invitations to
speak. Maybe he shouldn't accept so many speaking engagements, but he
does. I still don't see how this compares to the fake Dead Kennedys
shows.

For one thing: The rip-off DK doesn't even say on their site that the
concert is celebratory of Coke (I don't know why Coke would be dumb
enough to sponsor a bunch of punk bands like the DK's, fake or real
--but that's marketing for you).

What makes the DK's so disgusting to me is that they completely
destroyed Biafra's artistic vision (except for his vision, invite him
to their little anniversary (in turn making Biafra look like the bad
guy for refusing to re-unite), engage in marketing scams such as "Dead
Kennedys: In God We Trust, Inc. - The Lost Tapes," brag about sell-out
shows (no pun intended)and sales figures, brag about being banned in
San Francisco (the crux of the story really being talent booker Dawn
Holliday saying to the bands agent,&#8220;The Dead Kennedy&#8217;s
don&#8217;t exist"). In the same article (off the DK's "official"
website) Ray says &#8220;One thing our shows give people, is the
chance to hear the lyrics and think deeply about politics." Yeah,
right....and the list will probably go on so long as the fake DK's do.

Grandpa helicopter

Grandpa Helicopter

Sep 14, 2003, 9:58:47 PM9/14/03
I made quite a few terrible grammar and sentence errors. I wrote this
very quieckly. Here is an edited, modified version for those who
noticed my glaring mistakes and were angered by them:

> The fake DK's also completely suck, even if their music is still okay.
> Which corporations sponsored the Livid festival?
>
> On "If Evolution is Outlawed" Biafra talks about corporate sponsorship
> of the Summer of Love tour and how Miller popped the balloons after he
> made an offensive comment toward them. He also appeared on
> politically incorrect (merged with Disney) and has attended religious
> right conventions. I think Biafra usually accepts invitations to
> speak. Maybe he shouldn't accept so many speaking engagements, but he
> does. I still don't see how this compares to the fake Dead Kennedys
> shows.
>

> For one thing: The rip-off DK's don't even say on their site that the

> concert is celebratory of Coke (I don't know why Coke would be dumb
> enough to sponsor a bunch of punk bands like the DK's, fake or real
> --but that's marketing for you).
>
> What makes the DK's so disgusting to me is that they completely

> destroyed Biafra's artistic vision, invite him

> to their little anniversary (in turn making Biafra look like the bad
> guy for refusing to re-unite), engage in marketing scams such as "Dead
> Kennedys: In God We Trust, Inc. - The Lost Tapes," brag about sell-out
> shows (no pun intended)and sales figures, brag about being banned in
> San Francisco (the crux of the story really being talent booker Dawn
> Holliday saying to the bands agent,&#8220;The Dead Kennedy&#8217;s
> don&#8217;t exist"). In the same article (off the DK's "official"
> website) Ray says &#8220;One thing our shows give people, is the
> chance to hear the lyrics and think deeply about politics." Yeah,
> right....and the list will probably go on so long as the fake DK's do.
>
> Grandpa helicopter

That's the version I really meant

Dee

Sep 14, 2003, 11:09:15 PM9/14/03
> Shame on Biafra for wanting to pay his bills and eat once in a while.

Yeah, well shame on the DKs for doing the same thing then.

Personally I think they're both completely spent as artistic forces.

Brandon Cruz

Sep 15, 2003, 2:14:10 AM9/15/03
quite a lot of info there. as i see it, both sides have been in spots
they once said they would never be in. as far as the "fake" DKs being
a ripoff, i am in debt now, due to touring all over and paying the
crew and all of the equipment rentals, taxes, merch seller, booking
agent fee's, most of the airfare and hotels, meals, the list indeed
does go on. i never made much money while i sang with them, but if i
had wanted to make money, do you really think i would pick an old punk
band? i know they just played in turkey for coke, but i remember
saying no to jaegermeister, and they would have given us a giant tour
bus for europe. for free. we paid full price for a way shittier one
instead. i guess there is some good in everyone. biafra does a lot of
benefits and small college talks. when the big money comes knocking,
and you have been sued severely, or robbed from, what are you going to
do? i suppose you would know only if you were in one of those
positions, and none of us are. it's really sad.
brandon

Flesh

Sep 15, 2003, 5:49:09 AM9/15/03
On 14 Sep 2003 20:09:15 -0700, carro...@fresnomail.com (Dee) wrote:

>Yeah, well shame on the DKs for doing the same thing then.

Really, name one new song or project Ray & Co have done since
re-forming?

>Personally I think they're both completely spent as artistic forces.

See above.

Grandpa Helicopter

Sep 15, 2003, 9:26:14 AM9/15/03
carro...@fresnomail.com (Dee) wrote in message news:<a950bc68.0309...@posting.google.com>...

> > Shame on Biafra for wanting to pay his bills and eat once in a while.
>
> Yeah, well shame on the DKs for doing the same thing then.
>
> Personally I think they're both completely spent as artistic forces.

The DK's haven't been doing the same thing. They've been doing
something vastly different than what Biafra's been doing over the
years.

As for whether or not they are all completely spent as artistic
forces, that's a matter of opinion. I highly doubt it. I'm sure
Jello will keep on influencing people in various ways and I'm sure
that the DK's have some sort of potential to actually create something
all their own (though they may not venture down that road). How good
of a songwriter is Jeff Penalty?

Grandpa Helicopter

Flesh

Sep 17, 2003, 12:57:40 PM9/17/03
brand...@earthlink.net (Brandon Cruz) wrote in message news:<4f58da2d.03091...@posting.google.com>...

> i remember
> saying no to jaegermeister, and they would have given us a giant tour
> bus for europe. for free. we paid full price for a way shittier one
> instead.

Brandon,

Somthing you either may want to think about or correct- Is it possible
that while you were with Ray & Co. that you were acting more or less
as the ethics guru?

Flesh

Sep 18, 2003, 7:57:44 PM9/18/03
carro...@fresnomail.com (Dee) wrote in message

> Yeah, well shame on the DKs for doing the same thing then.

Yeah, god forbid they create somthing new, instead of wallowing in the
past.

Oh wait, they all have- and most of the solo stuff sucks.

> Personally I think they're both completely spent as artistic forces.

Kinda like someone who spends more than an hour watching & trading
tapes of crappy reality television shows?

George Perry

Sep 18, 2003, 8:08:44 PM9/18/03

"Flesh" <rsm9...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Kinda like someone who spends more than an hour watching & trading
> tapes of crappy reality television shows?

this sounds like a delicious rumour! Please elaborate!

Dee

Sep 19, 2003, 8:28:35 PM9/19/03
> > Kinda like someone who spends more than an hour watching & trading
> > tapes of crappy reality television shows?

I'm not a big fan of that stuff myself but I have bought and traded a
lot of it for my kids, who love it. (One's 11, the other 9.) They also
like the 1st DKs album which we have around the house. I love that one
too.

Dee

Sep 19, 2003, 8:40:35 PM9/19/03
> Yeah, god forbid they create somthing new, instead of wallowing in the
> past.
>
> Oh wait, they all have- and most of the solo stuff sucks.

I never said I liked the fake DKs. I've never heard their solo stuff,
but I think the idea of the fake reunion is tragic. I have heard most
of Biafra's post-DK stuff though and found it very boring and without
any spark. But that's just my opinion. What I can't get over is how
you guys on this board behave like such sycophants for Biafra, even
concocting bizarre explanations for why he might be a little pudgy
(because he's too busy doing important things to exercise?!?! who
cares anyway!). Just looking around on this board (which I did because
the DKs have always been my favorite punk band) is sort of
frightening, to see what Biafra's "think for yourself" vision has
spawned. This kiss-assy attitude is not at all in line with what he
talks about. I think the man has done some great things over the years
but I also have an ex- who worked for him for awhile and told me some
real horror stories. The man is not a saint. Just appreciate the good
things he's done, and get a life!

-Dee D.

Flesh

Sep 19, 2003, 9:56:28 PM9/19/03
On 19 Sep 2003 17:28:35 -0700, carro...@fresnomail.com (Dee) wrote:

>I'm not a big fan of that stuff myself but I have bought and traded a
>lot of it for my kids, who love it. (One's 11, the other 9.)

1. Excuses are like assholes......
2. It's bad enough you're forcing your kids to live in Fresno, but why
rot their minds with *that* pile of dung?

Flesh

Sep 19, 2003, 9:59:07 PM9/19/03
On 19 Sep 2003 17:40:35 -0700, carro...@fresnomail.com (Dee) wrote:

>> Yeah, god forbid they create somthing new, instead of wallowing in the
>> past.
>>
>> Oh wait, they all have- and most of the solo stuff sucks.
>
>I never said I liked the fake DKs. I've never heard their solo stuff,
>but I think the idea of the fake reunion is tragic. I have heard most
>of Biafra's post-DK stuff though and found it very boring and without
>any spark.

Obviously you haven't heard any Coldcut or Lard (to name a couple).
Perhaps if you stopped watching "The Mole".....

>you guys on this board behave like such sycophants for Biafra, even
>concocting bizarre explanations for why he might be a little pudgy

He's got a girlfriend who feeds him well, as well as this thing called
"time". You'll notice things start to sage and bloat as it goes on.

George Perry

Sep 20, 2003, 12:50:37 AM9/20/03
Nobody likes a troll. Fuck off.

"Dee" <carro...@fresnomail.com> wrote in message

George Perry

Sep 20, 2003, 12:53:05 AM9/20/03

"Flesh" <fl...@pigdog.org> wrote in message

The shattered knee didn't help much either. Who cares though? Biafra's
mind is as sharp, as lean and mean as ever!

Shinobi

Oct 16, 2003, 6:00:53 PM10/16/03