Toronto 1980 Heatwave Concert

briand

Oct 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/7/96

Anyone attend or remember the August (September??) (20 or 22) "Heatwave"
concert at Mosport Raceway north of Toronto? I was there and am trying
to remember the lineup. What I recall so far (in order of appearance as
I best recall)...

Teenage Head
Holly & The Italians
B-52's
Talking Heads (expanded lineup with Adrian Belew)
Elvis Costello
The Kings

Plese let me know ... I'm sure other bands are missing in this list.

Thanks!

xru...@ssimicro.com

Oct 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/8/96

Doesn't Killing Joke belong on here somewhere???

E Ganon

Oct 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/9/96

Wasn't Flock of Seagulls on that bill?

I was there but I can't remember.

I am sure that I have one of the posters for the thing around here =
someplace..

I will let you know

Pyro

Oct 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/11/96
to briand

briand wrote:

> Anyone attend or remember the August (September??) (20 or 22) "Heatwave"
> concert at Mosport Raceway north of Toronto? I was there and am trying
> to remember the lineup. What I recall so far (in order of appearance as
> I best recall)...
>
> Teenage Head
> Holly & The Italians
> B-52's
> Talking Heads (expanded lineup with Adrian Belew)
> Elvis Costello
> The Kings
>
> Plese let me know ... I'm sure other bands are missing in this list.
>
> Thanks!

I was there working with Teenage Head, and although I cannot add to
your list, I know you are so far correct. I will ask the guys in the
Haed, and see if we can add to your list...

Dave Williamson

Oct 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/16/96

I was there. Believe it was August 18th but I could be wrong.

Lineup as I recall:

Teenage Head
Rockpile (with Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe)
Holly and the Italians
Pretenders
B-52s
Talking Heads (I don't recall Adrian Belew being with them though)
Elvis Costello

I don't recall the Kings being in the lineup, but I think I'm missing
one or two.

The Clash were originally booked but cancelled when they got all of
the flack re: them being Woodstock-like sellouts for playing. They
were supposed to be the headliners. It was a great day as it was.
The Talking Heads premier of the expanded lineup was definitely the
highlight.

leora kornfeld

Oct 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/18/96

believe it or not, i'm holding a poster from the heatwave concert in my
non-typing hand right now. in the summmer of 1980 i was working at a
record store in vancouver that was selling tickets for heatwave and i
remember yanking the poster down the day after the show and proudly
displaying it on my wall (althought i didn't go to the gig)

and several apartments and many moves later the poster is still with me.
according to it, the line-up was:

B-52's
The Clash
Elvis Costello & The Attractions
The Kings
Pretenders
Rockpile (feat. Nick Lowe & Dave Edmunds)
Talking Heads

"and much more"

the date was Saturday August 23rd, the venue Mosport Park, and advance
tickets were $20.

that should settle everything

lk

In article <541bmf$b...@news1.sympatico.ca>, d...@sympatico.ca says...

Greg Torrington

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

Alas, The Clash never made it, but it was the first time The Talking
Heads played with the larger band (including Adrian Belew). I think
that Teenage Head were there and the band "Graham Parker's Rumour" ie
Graham Parker's backup band without Parker performed too.

One oz

Aug 14, 2015, 7:07:39 AM8/14/15
On Monday, October 7, 1996 at 6:00:00 PM UTC+11, briand wrote:
> Anyone attend or remember the August (September??) (20 or 22) "Heatwave"
> concert at Mosport Raceway north of Toronto? I was there and am trying
> to remember the lineup. What I recall so far (in order of appearance as
> I best recall)...
>
> Teenage Head
> Holly & The Italians
> B-52's
> Talking Heads (expanded lineup with Adrian Belew)
> Elvis Costello
> The Kings
>
> Plese let me know ... I'm sure other bands are missing in this list.
>
> Thanks!

On Monday, October 7, 1996 at 6:00:00 PM UTC+11, briand wrote:
> Anyone attend or remember the August (September??) (20 or 22) "Heatwave"
> concert at Mosport Raceway north of Toronto? I was there and am trying
> to remember the lineup. What I recall so far (in order of appearance as
> I best recall)...
>
> Teenage Head
> Holly & The Italians
> B-52's
> Talking Heads (expanded lineup with Adrian Belew)
> Elvis Costello
> The Kings
>
> Plese let me know ... I'm sure other bands are missing in this list.
>
> Thanks!

Wow! Just reminiscing today with some young hipsters on the other side of the world loving talking heads. 35 years next week - haven't thought about this in years and years.
Nick Lowe & Rockpile.
Can't pick a favourite but TH and Elvis costello at the top with Nick Lowe turning out to be an unknown at the time but loved his work from then on. I was right up the front - only a few hundred on the grounds when we arrived from Boston (hitch hiked - way different times).

toofa...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2017, 1:32:06 PM4/6/17
The Specials

kr5...@gmail.com

Apr 5, 2018, 11:14:53 AM4/5/18
On Monday, 7 October 1996 03:00:00 UTC-4, briand wrote:
> Anyone attend or remember the August (September??) (20 or 22) "Heatwave"
> concert at Mosport Raceway north of Toronto? I was there and am trying
> to remember the lineup. What I recall so far (in order of appearance as
> I best recall)...
>
> Teenage Head
> Holly & The Italians
> B-52's
> Talking Heads (expanded lineup with Adrian Belew)
> Elvis Costello
> The Kings
>
> Plese let me know ... I'm sure other bands are missing in this list.
>
> Thanks!

I was at this concert, with two of my mates... what a blast !!!

jillgi...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2018, 10:29:22 PM6/9/18
Yes I was there and couldn't remember who all I saw. I do remember being one of a few with blue jeans and a T-shirt. It was awesome. It was HOT and people were passed out all over the place. A great youthful memory.

martha...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2018, 8:32:35 AM8/18/18
I was there too. We were pretty far up to the front. My friend Diana wore some sort of fur halter top and she was one of the ones that passed out. It was super HOT and I remember scream singing at the top of my lungs and SO MANY PEOPLE. There was a photo in Creem magazine that showed me and my group of friends (Very small in the huge crowd). So sorry I didn't get a copy of that

timr...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2018, 3:02:54 PM9/3/18
It was August 23rd. I was there. The lineup was
Vladymir Rogov (opening artist) with his band ARKITEX (not on poster)
Teenage Head (not on poster)
BB Gabor (not on poster)
Holly and the Italians (not on the poster)
Rockpile featuring Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe
The Rumour without Graham Parker (just after he'd gone solo) (not on poster)
The B-52's
Talking Heads (at sundown)
The Pretenders
Elvis Costello and the Attractions
The Kings
The Clash were originally booked, and were on the poster, but cancelled[4] or, by another story, were held up at the border due to customs.

shal...@gmail.com

Feb 29, 2020, 11:20:32 AM2/29/20
I was there. I will never forget it. Great show. I remember Elvis coming out and starting with ‘shot with my own fun’ doing it acapella. I was 16, and had a purple Volkswagen Beetle me and my friend Goodman went.