John Lennon and Bruce Springsteen

black...@aol.com

Feb 12, 2009, 12:09:03 AM2/12/09
There is a famous quote by John about Bruce. Doesn't anyone have the
quote and the context in which it was said?

Burton Busk

Feb 12, 2009, 8:49:58 AM2/12/09

<black...@aol.com> wrote in message

> There is a famous quote by John about Bruce. Doesn't anyone have the
> quote and the context in which it was said?

I guess you're talking about the one from John's last Rolling Stone
interview, shortly before his death. Great quote for people who hate the new
album and think Bruce should still be producing albums like Darkness. Bruce
is mentioned in the last paragraph here; I've included the preceding ones
for context:

RS - "All the way through your work, John, there's this incredibly strong
notion about inspiring people to be themselves and to come together and try
to change things. I'm thinking here, obviously, of songs like 'Give Peace a
Chance,' 'Power to the People' and 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over).'"

JL - "It's still there," John replies. "If you look on the vinyl around the
new album's [the twelve-inch single "(Just Like) Starting Over"] logo -
which all the kids have done already all over the world from Brazil to
Australia to Poland, anywhere that gets the record - inside is written: ONE
WORLD, ONE PEOPLE. So we continue.

"I get truly affected by letters from Brazil or Poland or Austria - places
I'm not conscious of all the time - just to know somebody is there,
listening. One kid living up in Yorkshire wrote this heartfelt letter about
being both Oriental and English and identifying with John and Yoko. The odd
kid in the class. There are a lot of those kids who identify with us. They
don't need the history of rock & roll. They identify with us as a couple, a
biracial couple, who stand for love, peace, feminism and the positive things
of the world.

"You know, give peace a chance, not shoot people for peace. All we need is
love. I believe it. It's damn hard, but I absolutely believe it. We're not
the first to say, 'Imagine no countries' or 'Give peace a chance,' but we're
carrying that torch, like the Olympic torch, passing it from hand to hand,
to each other, to each country, to each generation. That's our job. We have
to conceive of an idea before we can do it.

"I've never claimed divinity. I've never claimed purity of soul. I've never
claimed to have the answer to life. I only put out songs and answer
questions as honestly as I can, but only as honestly as I can - no more, no
less. I cannot live up to other people's expectations of me because they're
illusionary. And the people who want more than I am, or than Bob Dylan is,
or than Mick Jagger is...

"Take Mick, for instance. Mick's put out consistently good work for twenty
years, and will they give him a break? Will they ever say, 'Look at him,
he's Number One, he's thirty-six and he's put out a beautiful song,
"Emotional Rescue," it's up there.' I enjoyed it, lots of people enjoyed it.
So it goes up and down, up and down. God help Bruce Springsteen when they
decide he's no longer God. I haven't seen him - I'm not a great 'in'-person
watcher - but I've heard such good things about him. Right now, his fans are
happy. He's told them about being drunk and chasing girls and cars and
everything, and that's about the level they enjoy. But when he gets down to
facing his own success and growing older and having to produce it again and
again, they'll turn on him, and I hope he survives it. All he has to do is
look at me and Mick.... I cannot be a punk in Hamburg and Liverpool anymore.
I'm older now. I see the world through different eyes. I still believe in
love, peace and understanding, as Elvis Costello said, and what's so funny
about love, peace and understanding?"

Message has been deleted

WeReo_ScoTTy

Feb 14, 2009, 5:14:31 PM2/14/09
"gumboman" <gu...@gumbo.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 05:49:58 -0800, "Burton Busk"
> <burt...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> God help Bruce Springsteen when they
>>decide he's no longer God. I haven't seen him - I'm not a great
>>'in'-person
>>watcher - but I've heard such good things about him. Right now, his fans
>>are
>>happy. He's told them about being drunk and chasing girls and cars and
>>everything, and that's about the level they enjoy. But when he gets down
>>facing his own success and growing older and having to produce it again
>>and
>>again, they'll turn on him, and I hope he survives it. All he has to do is
>>look at me and Mick.... I cannot be a punk in Hamburg and Liverpool
>>anymore.
>>I'm older now. I see the world through different eyes. I still believe in
>>love, peace and understanding, as Elvis Costello said, and what's so funny
>>about love, peace and understanding?"
>>

> :)
Very nice.

donn...@hotmail.com

Feb 18, 2009, 8:31:06 AM2/18/09
On Feb 12, 12:09 am, "blackje...@aol.com" <blackje...@aol.com> wrote:
> There is a famous quote by John about Bruce. Doesn't anyone have the
> quote and the context in which it was said?

This is not the quote you're looking for, which someone else posted
above, but just for what it's worth, Goldman's biography says Lennon
was "blown away" by The River, which came out the month he was killed,
and by its mix of darker and lighter material.
Lennon said he saw it as a model for the kind of work he wanted to do
next, and that, among other things, that meant no Yoko in the studio.

Crooner

Sep 6, 2012, 7:02:30 PM9/6/12
I vaguely remember a short video of John Lennon entering a building from a city street, looking back apparently to a journalist, and mocking Bruce Springsteen. He said something like, "Will Bruce Springsteen still write [sappy] songs when he's older. What is he going to do then, eh?" He didn't say "sappy" but that was the meaning I got, and I don't know exactly what he said. I was surprised at the criticism.

doerz