Metropolis

1 view

Werner Sudendorf

Feb 17, 2001, 5:16:20 AM2/17/01
Just a quick note on the new "Metropolis" version; it runs about 160 minutes
at a speed of 20frames p/sec; picture quality is brillant except for the
last reel which still has to be digitally restored. No new sequences but a
lot more to see. Modern music which is not exactly everybodys taste.
There are two type of titles. The original ones and another type which
explains what is missing.
All in all: very impressive work. Plans are that DVD should be out for
Christmas this year.

Werner Sudendorf

_____________________________________
Join me supporting these sites:
Friends and supportes of Filmmuseum Berlin: http://www.fffb.de
Filmmuseum Berlin - Deutsche Kinemathek: http://www.filmmuseum-berlin.de
Marlene Dietrich: http://www.marlene.com
Metropolis: http://www.uow.edu.au/~morgan/Metroa.html

Mabuse13

Feb 18, 2001, 11:37:49 AM2/18/01
>Just a quick note on the new "Metropolis" version; it runs about 160 minutes
>at a speed of 20frames p/sec; picture quality is brillant except for the
>last reel which still has to be digitally restored. No new sequences but a
>lot more to see. Modern music which is not exactly everybodys taste.
>There are two type of titles. The original ones and another type which
>explains what is missing.
>All in all: very impressive work. Plans are that DVD should be out for
>Christmas this year.
>
>Werner Sudendorf
>
>_____________________________________

Why is it being run at 20 fps when I thought Lang's original intentions were
for it to be run between 24-28 fps?

JP

Werner Sudendorf

Feb 18, 2001, 11:40:18 AM2/18/01

Mabuse13 <mabu...@aol.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
20010218113749...@ng-mf1.aol.com...
How do you know it was Langs original intention to run it that quickly? At
20fps movements look ok.
Werner

Archie Waugh

Feb 18, 2001, 11:52:22 AM2/18/01
Why, to piss off Richard Roberts, of course!
Archie Waugh

> >Just a quick note on the new "Metropolis" version; it runs about 160 minutes
> >at a speed of 20frames p/sec; picture quality is brillant except for the
> >last reel which still has to be digitally restored.

> Why is it being run at 20 fps when I thought Lang's original intentions were

Nate

Feb 18, 2001, 1:17:10 PM2/18/01

> All in all: very impressive work. Plans are that DVD should be out for
> Christmas this year.

That's wonderful news Werner. Have they signed for a US DVD distribution
version yet? I'm hoping there will be a DVD Region 1 version and English
subtitles for this one.

--
- nate
- na...@NOSPAMPLEASEdkitchen.com

DShepFilm

Feb 18, 2001, 10:51:00 PM2/18/01
<< > Why is it being run at 20 fps when I thought Lang's original intentions
were
> for it to be run between 24-28 fps?
>
> JP

How do you know it was Langs original intention to run it that quickly? At
20fps movements look ok.
Werner

Actually, the original written music score by Gottfried Huppertz does specify
running speeds of 26-28 fps. By playing the score v-e-r-y slowly (it's largely
based upon orchestral color, like Bruckner, rather than on melody) it is
possible to play the original music and run the film at 24 fps, but 20 fps
would be an impossible speed if the 1926 music were attempted.

That said, a lot of the action does look awfully hopped-up even at 24 fps and I
certainly can understand being guided by the eye to a speed of 20 -- and having
to go to new music as one of the consequences of such a choice.

But the existence of the Huppertz music score leaves small doubt as to the
original intention.

David Shepard

ChaneyFan

Feb 21, 2001, 9:28:01 PM2/21/01
>>>Why is it being run at 20 fps when I thought Lang's original intentions were
for it to be run between 24-28 fps?

Regardless of what the score synchs up to, there is no way METROPOLIS could
have or would have been run this fast. It looks ridiculous at 24 fps and 20-21
fps is just about right.
===============================
Jon Mirsalis
e-mail: Chan...@aol.com
Lon Chaney Home Page: http://members.aol.com/ChaneyFan
Jon's Film Sites: http://members.aol.com/ChaneyFan/jonfilm.htm

DShepFilm

Feb 21, 2001, 9:47:41 PM2/21/01
<< Regardless of what the score synchs up to, there is no way METROPOLIS could
have or would have been run this fast. >>

Vass you dere, Sharlie? You and I might both like it better at 20-21 fps but
that was the music they played and that is the speed it requires.

David Shepard

ChaneyFan

Feb 23, 2001, 3:06:27 AM2/23/01
>>>Vass you dere, Sharlie? You and I might both like it better at 20-21 fps
but
that was the music they played and that is the speed it requires.

Sorry David, but I don't buy it. Lang took his films very seriously, and
especially METROPOLIS. At 26-28 fps it would be shooting across the screen so
fast that the audience would be howling with laughter even in 1926. Lang would
never have permitted this to happen. If the notes for the score says it was
run that fast then the notes are wrong. It's that simple.

Christopher Jacobs

Feb 23, 2001, 12:13:05 PM2/23/01

ChaneyFan <chan...@aol.com> wrote in message

> but
> that was the music they played and that is the speed it requires.
>
> Sorry David, but I don't buy it. Lang took his films very seriously, and
> especially METROPOLIS. At 26-28 fps it would be shooting across the
screen so
> fast that the audience would be howling with laughter even in 1926. Lang
would
> never have permitted this to happen. If the notes for the score says it
was
> run that fast then the notes are wrong. It's that simple.
> ===============================
> Jon Mirsalis
=========================

Maybe it was a typo for 16-18 fps. METROPOLIS moves extremely fast at 24 fps
(though 16 fps might be a bit slow for much of it).

--Christopher Jacobs
http://www.hpr1.com/NEW%20WEB%20STUFF/PAGES/Film.htm
(High Plains Reader movie reviews, often by me)
http://www.und.nodak.edu/instruct/cjacobs
(Intro to Film main page, including other movie links)

ChaneyFan

Feb 24, 2001, 1:21:52 AM2/24/01
>>>Maybe it was a typo for 16-18 fps. METROPOLIS moves extremely fast at 24 fps
(though 16 fps might be a bit slow for much of it).

This is more likely. I think I missed the beginning of this thread so could
someone clarify exactly why people think it was supposed to be 24-28 fps
anyway? Is this an annotation on the orchestral score?