Chaplin at Keystone from Flicker Alley

Bruce Calvert

Jul 19, 2010, 11:50:49 PM7/19/10
http://www.flickeralley.com/fat_chaplin_01.html

Chaplin at Keystone from Flicker Alley

Charles Chaplin came to Mack Sennett’s Keystone Studios as an unknown,
and after a year, had not only established his character, but also
achieved public recognition as a star comedian so that standees of his
likeness outside theatres sufficed to attract audiences. Most of the
original Keystone negatives were simply printed away and the survival
of all but a few of these films depends upon a few original prints, a
larger number of reissue prints, and some duped prints from later
years. That all but one of the films exists is, of course, due to
Chaplin’s enormous subsequent popularity.

With the support of Association Chaplin (France), 35mm full aperture,
early-generation materials (with only a few exceptions) were gathered
on almost all the films in this international collaboration and were
painstakingly pieced together by the National Film and Television
Archive of the British Film Institute, L’Immagine Ritrovata in
Bologna, Italy, and the UCLA Film and Television Archive; then
digitally refurbished by Lobster Films in Paris.

CHAPLIN PRE-ORDER
SPECIAL SALE PRICE
$59.96 ($79.95)
Includes free shipping to any
continental US address,
Please inquire for shipping
cost to other areas.

Release date: October 26, 2010

El Klauso

Jul 20, 2010, 2:12:37 PM7/20/10
Having all of the maerial already - and having purchased it over the
years in several different formats...grrr...I would love to see a side
by side comparison of images before I take the plunge once again.

Dave Garrett

Jul 20, 2010, 8:53:21 PM7/20/10
In article <198cad65-8718-424a-ad95-e7bb868453f4
@k1g2000prl.googlegroups.com>, ChasJ...@aol.com says...

> Having all of the maerial already - and having purchased it over the
> years in several different formats...grrr...I would love to see a side
> by side comparison of images before I take the plunge once again.

Given the parties involved in this restoration, and the stated source
materials, I will be very surprised if this release doesn't blow away
every previous release of the Chaplin Keystones.

Dave

yrow

Jul 21, 2010, 9:19:16 AM7/21/10

> Given the parties involved in this restoration, and the stated source
> materials, I will be very surprised if this release doesn't blow away
> every previous release of the Chaplin Keystones.
>
> Dave

One major advantage to film preservationist David Shepard's brilliant
new DVD restoration of these old Keystone will be the first-time
ever opportunity for film scholars and n biographers to precisely
evaluate (and appreciate) the incredible extent to which Chaplin's
powers of acting, dance movement and comic invention were fully
developed by the time he arrived at Keystone.

Because those old Keystone one and two-reelers have previously
survived in such a butchered, chopped-up primitive state, many
people erroneously assumed that Chaplin's acting talent and powers
of comic invention were equally primitive,

When he arrive at Keystone, Charlie hit the deck running--or skidding
and flopping to be more precise-- by demonstrating those never-before-
seen powers of slapstick comedy expertise.

Chaplin became an overnight success so early because he already
possessed these highly developed talents.

From a film-historical audience- reception point of view, it will
be great fun to finally be able to see what rank-and-file
moviegoers of 1914 saw.

Steve Weissman
Washington, DC
www.chaplinalife.com

Derek Gee

Jul 21, 2010, 7:59:01 PM7/21/10
"yrow" <weissma...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Given the parties involved in this restoration, and the stated source
>> materials, I will be very surprised if this release doesn't blow away
>> every previous release of the Chaplin Keystones.
>>
>> Dave
>
> One major advantage to film preservationist David Shepard's brilliant
> new DVD restoration of these old Keystone will be the first-time
> ever opportunity for film scholars and n biographers to precisely
> evaluate (and appreciate) the incredible extent to which Chaplin's
> powers of acting, dance movement and comic invention were fully
> developed by the time he arrived at Keystone.

Don't forget to give credit to the other participants in the restoration -

the National Film and Television Archive of the British Film Institute, L'Immagine
Ritrovata in

Bologna, Italy, the UCLA Film and Television Archive, and Lobster Films in
Paris. This took more than just David to do this project. Thank you all!
:)

Derek