James Cameron dream projects, round 2 (kinda long)

Hiro Protagonist

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
Well, since our favorite film director is off on vacation, I've decided
to go to the liberty and complete a list of James Cameron projects that
are in consideration, in development (not), that he's somehow attached
to, or just plain old fanboy fantasies.

Heck, I'm a fanboy, I'll admit it. Here goes, the Top Ten James Cameron
dream projects!

10: Brother Termite. Well, his name has been tossed around with it. I
think James' hat is kinda full right now, so he's likely to just exec
produce this one (Lightstorm is putting it out).

9: Ramses the Damned. I haven't read the book yet, has anyone here?
But, it would be a definite improvement on Interview with the Vampire.
IwtV had nice costumes, but I didn't really see past that.

8: Brightly Burning Angels. To be honest, not really looking forward to
this one, because of all the movies about stuff falling towards the
earth. It's been done. So, it's not likely this will ever come out.

7: Planet of the Apes. I never was a big fan of the original films, but
I did promise my mom I would take her to opening night of a James
Cameron PotA film when it would come out. Hey, it sure beats having it
directed by Mr. MTV, Michael Bay (just saw Armageddon, pass the
x-strength Tylenol!)

6: Parasyte. After perusing through an issue of MixxZine (contains
English translations of several Japanese comics), I thought it was a
pretty funny story. Word is that James Cameron is somehow connected to
an adaptation of this manga. This would be interesting, but I have no
idea how it'd look on screen.

5: True Lies 2. Don't know how you could make a sequel out of this one,
but I really liked True Lies (nice blend of action and comedy). Some
people didn't like the misogynistic elements (translation: sexist), but
remember, the script was based on an old French film, "La Totale!" I
was thinking of renting that when I get a chance.

4: Avatar. I have no idea what this is about (word is that it has
something to do with an "Interplanetary Pandora's Box"), but if it's
going to have as many CGI shots as they say it will (it's supposed to
have fully rendered photorealistic human models that are
indistinguishable from the real deal), I already got my $8 ready.

3: Terminator 3. Okay, okay. James Cameron is no longer interested in
doing this and Fox has passed on doing the sequel. That, and Ah-nuld
isn't going to work on this without James, but hey. We've been itching
for another pairing of Ah-nuld and James for a long time. But, since
they destroyed all the futuristic technology, I figure, why can't they
just have it take place in the future with John Connor fighting the
machines?

2: Spider-Man. This is a no-brainer. I can count the number of good
comic book movies on ONE hand. Batman, The Crow, The Mask, Superman,
and Blade (MiB isn't on the list because it has almost nothing to do
with the comic). Contrasted against Batman and Robin, Howard the Duck,
Steel, Kull the Conquerer, The Crow: City of Angels, Superman 4: The
Quest for Peace, Barb Wire, and a ton of others, a JC Spidey flick would
be welcome. However, this isn't #1 on the list, because word around the
campfire is that there are some deviations to the original storyline.

From the words of someone who's read the treatment:

Basically, this movie is about the origin of Spider-Man and how he comes
to grips with his catch phrase, 'With great power comes great
responsibility.' For the most part, it's what you remember from the
comics. And I've got to admit, when I read a synopsis of the scriptment
on another site, I was at first taken aback.

Call me a purist, I don't know. The idea that someone had taken
essentially The Kingpin, given him the powers of Electro and then named
him Carlton Strand--I didn't like it. The idea that instead of wearing
web-shooters, they kind of were part of Peter's wrists--I didn't like
it. But now that I've read the thing firsthand, I can say I was pleased
to find that all of it actually works in the context of the project.
And it's not bad at all! Not only do you have Strand's electrical
powers used in very interesting ways, but you've got Spidey's foe The
Sandman to contend with, just begging for some kick-ass CGI.

However, there's only one thing that bugs me now (no pun intended). In
this script, Peter's got the eye for Mary Jane Watson, but she doesn't
want anything to do with him. However, she's got the hots for
Spider-Man. Peter, as Spider-Man, takes her to the top of the Brooklyn
Bridge and they do That One Thing up there.

It's not that I'm getting too conservative in my old age, it just
doesn't work for those characters. Even if Mary Jane is the looker
she's supposed to be, Peter was supposedly brought up to be better than
that. I was almost hoping for Mary Jane to be a background character
and Gwen Stacy be the romantic focus, but hey, whatever works.

(borrowed from Coming Attractions,
http://www.corona.bc.ca/films/mainFramed.html )

1: Robotech. Fox has optioned the rights to this property, and who else
could direct it? The first Robotech series, "Macross", has all the
elements of a typical James Cameron film. Romance, lots of things
blowing up, big robots, the human element, heavy military action, and
brilliant character development. I mean, think of the
possibilities...Michael Beihn as Roy Fokker, Leo DiCaprio as Rick
Hunter...

See you at the movies!
Vince Yim
| E-mail address altered to avoid unsolicited junkmail. |
| Remove asterix marks (*) to reply by e-mail |

Hiro Protagonist

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98

Hiro Protagonist

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98

Penweaver

Oct 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/11/98

Hiro Protagonist <Xieze-Qilin***@***bc.sympatico.ca> wrote in article
<6vm8sd$4go$1...@news.bctel.net>...

<snip>
:
: 9: Ramses the Damned. I haven't read the book yet, has anyone here?

: But, it would be a definite improvement on Interview with the Vampire.
: IwtV had nice costumes, but I didn't really see past that.

I read the book, it was fairly decent. thing that i am worried about is
that Cameron does this in response to Carpenter's Vampire.
:
<snip>

: 7: Planet of the Apes. I never was a big fan of the original films, but

: I did promise my mom I would take her to opening night of a James
: Cameron PotA film when it would come out. Hey, it sure beats having it
: directed by Mr. MTV, Michael Bay (just saw Armageddon, pass the
: x-strength Tylenol!)

I think that this may be do able if it were cast properly.
:
: 6: Parasyte. After perusing through an issue of MixxZine (contains

: English translations of several Japanese comics), I thought it was a
: pretty funny story. Word is that James Cameron is somehow connected to
: an adaptation of this manga. This would be interesting, but I have no
: idea how it'd look on screen.

:
It would be hard to adapt it properly. look at Fist of the Northstar. But
if it worked, it woud rock.

: 5: True Lies 2. Don't know how you could make a sequel out of this one,

: but I really liked True Lies (nice blend of action and comedy). Some
: people didn't like the misogynistic elements (translation: sexist), but
: remember, the script was based on an old French film, "La Totale!" I
: was thinking of renting that when I get a chance.

:
This could be cool too. esp if they used both Jamie and Arnold. Maybe have
a story line that use their daughter as a spy as well. sort of a family of
spies type thing.

: 4: Avatar. I have no idea what this is about (word is that it has

: something to do with an "Interplanetary Pandora's Box"), but if it's
: going to have as many CGI shots as they say it will (it's supposed to
: have fully rendered photorealistic human models that are
: indistinguishable from the real deal), I already got my $8 ready.

:
This could be a signigicant developement in film history. i once read a
short story about a guy that created a program that analyzed actor's
performances and then allowed you to recreate that actor. this person made
several films the Boggey in them, Monroe, etc. etc. etc. Sounds like
fiction is about to become fact.

: 3: Terminator 3. Okay, okay. James Cameron is no longer interested in

: doing this and Fox has passed on doing the sequel. That, and Ah-nuld
: isn't going to work on this without James, but hey. We've been itching
: for another pairing of Ah-nuld and James for a long time. But, since
: they destroyed all the futuristic technology, I figure, why can't they
: just have it take place in the future with John Connor fighting the
: machines?

:
I think this is a film that needs to be made. As i have said before though.
This movie would be a sequel that was in essence a prequel that happened
after the first movie was made.

: 2: Spider-Man. This is a no-brainer. I can count the number of good

: comic book movies on ONE hand. Batman, The Crow, The Mask, Superman,
: and Blade (MiB isn't on the list because it has almost nothing to do
: with the comic). Contrasted against Batman and Robin, Howard the Duck,
: Steel, Kull the Conquerer, The Crow: City of Angels, Superman 4: The
: Quest for Peace, Barb Wire, and a ton of others, a JC Spidey flick would
: be welcome. However, this isn't #1 on the list, because word around the
: campfire is that there are some deviations to the original storyline.

:
<snip>
This movie could be alot of fun, but i think it will blow unless JC does it
as an animated film. in which case it could rule.

: 1: Robotech. Fox has optioned the rights to this property, and who else

: could direct it? The first Robotech series, "Macross", has all the
: elements of a typical James Cameron film. Romance, lots of things
: blowing up, big robots, the human element, heavy military action, and
: brilliant character development. I mean, think of the
: possibilities...Michael Beihn as Roy Fokker, Leo DiCaprio as Rick
: Hunter...

:
i think your casting is right on target. this is one anime that i think can
make it to the silver screen with a high chance of success. but i still
fear another Fist of the Northstar.

: See you at the movies!
: Vince Yim
:

absolutely

Scott and Doug Craig

Oct 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/11/98
Wow. Robotech would be great as a three parter trilogy, maybe with each
part directed by a different famous director? Cameron from "Macross", but
who would direct "Southern Cross" and "Invid Invasion"?

Michael Beihn doesn't have the hair to be Fokker, and DiCaprio would suck
as Hunter. You'd need a no-name actor for Rick Hunter, but someone well
recognized for Fokker (would only have a small part, heh heh). You'd need
some cool actor for Khyron... but Edward James Olmos is a perfect
Captain/Admiral Gloval.

Doug