Dork Questions from a First-time Poster

Mack

May 30, 2002, 12:54:31 AM5/30/02
Yo-

1) What are the best MTB trails within a 1 hour drive from Manhattan? Where
can I find an informal group of riders to learn from/ hang with? I used to
ride a lot as a kid, but consider myself a 31-yr-old rookie in mountain
biking.

2) Any opinions on the 2002 Fisher Tassajara with dual discs? I got it after
some cursory research indicating that it was a solid buy for the sub-$1000
class. Basically, I wanted something that was not too heavy but built like a
tank because I like to ride like a mountain goat on speed.

3) Is it ok for me to stay with the platform pedals that I have? Is it going
to be dangerous or disadvantageous during any particular type of riding. The
idea of my feet being clasped to the pedals makes me nervous.

4) What's the deal with Vandeman and why does he post to this board when he
dislikes MTB and MTB'ers? Is he the resident forum idiot that every NG must
have?

Thanks.

CHoffman

May 30, 2002, 12:58:54 AM5/30/02

"Mack" <ICH0...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yo-

Reply inline from a not very often poster.

> 1) What are the best MTB trails within a 1 hour drive from Manhattan?
Where
> can I find an informal group of riders to learn from/ hang with? I used to
> ride a lot as a kid, but consider myself a 31-yr-old rookie in mountain
> biking.

Hell if I know, I've never been east of the Mississippi.

> 2) Any opinions on the 2002 Fisher Tassajara with dual discs? I got it
after
> some cursory research indicating that it was a solid buy for the sub-$1000
> class. Basically, I wanted something that was not too heavy but built like
> tank because I like to ride like a mountain goat on speed.

If you're comfortable on it, and it was within your price range, it's a good
buy.

> 3) Is it ok for me to stay with the platform pedals that I have? Is it
going
> to be dangerous or disadvantageous during any particular type of riding.
The
> idea of my feet being clasped to the pedals makes me nervous.

I was too at first, but now I wouldn't ride anything but clipless. Gives me
more power to the pedal. Ride what feels good to you.

> 4) What's the deal with Vandeman and why does he post to this board when
he
> dislikes MTB and MTB'ers? Is he the resident forum idiot that every NG
must
> have?

He doesn't bother me in the slightest. Killfile him and you won't either.

> Thanks.

You're welcome.

Carla A-G

May 30, 2002, 8:23:56 AM5/30/02
"Mack" <ICH0...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 1) What are the best MTB trails within a 1 hour drive from Manhattan?
Where
> can I find an informal group of riders to learn from/ hang with? I used to
> ride a lot as a kid, but consider myself a 31-yr-old rookie in mountain
> biking.

If you're willing to come out to the Island, there is a
beginner/intermediate group ride every Saturday morning (8:00am) in Bethpage
State Park.

> 2) Any opinions on the 2002 Fisher Tassajara with dual discs? I got it
after
> some cursory research indicating that it was a solid buy for the sub-$1000
> class. Basically, I wanted something that was not too heavy but built like
> tank because I like to ride like a mountain goat on speed.

If it fits _you_ and _you_ like the components, then its the right bike for
_you_. Like I always say, opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one
(99.9% of the time).

> 3) Is it ok for me to stay with the platform pedals that I have? Is it
going
> to be dangerous or disadvantageous during any particular type of riding.
The
> idea of my feet being clasped to the pedals makes me nervous.

If you don't feel comfortable with clipless, then don't ride them.

> 4) What's the deal with Vandeman and why does he post to this board when
he
> dislikes MTB and MTB'ers? Is he the resident forum idiot that every NG
must
> have?

Just ignore him.

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

Dave H

May 30, 2002, 9:33:08 AM5/30/02
"Mack" <ICH0...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<bgiJ8.69888$Np5....@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>...

Welcome, Stay on the trails and keep them narrow. Read the faq and be
sure to post a ride report.

alt.mountain-bike FAQ: http://bombacommand.iwarp.com/ambfaq.htm

Bruce

May 30, 2002, 10:15:16 AM5/30/02

"Mack" <ICH0...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yo-
>
> 1) What are the best MTB trails within a 1 hour drive from Manhattan?
Where
> can I find an informal group of riders to learn from/ hang with? I used to
> ride a lot as a kid, but consider myself a 31-yr-old rookie in mountain
> biking.

Check with your LBS.

> 2) Any opinions on the 2002 Fisher Tassajara with dual discs? I got it
after
> some cursory research indicating that it was a solid buy for the sub-$1000
> class. Basically, I wanted something that was not too heavy but built like
> tank because I like to ride like a mountain goat on speed.

Sounds nice.

> 3) Is it ok for me to stay with the platform pedals that I have? Is it
going
> to be dangerous or disadvantageous during any particular type of riding.
The
> idea of my feet being clasped to the pedals makes me nervous.

Flats are fine. Most here prefer clipless, but to each their own.

> 4) What's the deal with Vandeman and why does he post to this board when
he
> dislikes MTB and MTB'ers? Is he the resident forum idiot that every NG
must
> have?

Yes. Please don't feed the troll.

> Thanks.

B. Bauer

May 30, 2002, 1:56:31 PM5/30/02
On Thu, 30 May 2002 04:54:31 GMT, Mack wrote:

> 1) What are the best MTB trails within a 1 hour drive from Manhattan? Where
> can I find an informal group of riders to learn from/ hang with? I used to
> ride a lot as a kid, but consider myself a 31-yr-old rookie in mountain
> biking.

I hear there are some trails at the north end of Tuttle Creek (you did
mean Manhattan Kansas, right)? :-)

If its some other Manhattan, can't help ya.

> 2) Any opinions on the 2002 Fisher Tassajara with dual discs? I got it after
> some cursory research indicating that it was a solid buy for the sub-$1000
> class. Basically, I wanted something that was not too heavy but built like a
> tank because I like to ride like a mountain goat on speed.

We have mountain goats out here in Oregon; if you did manage to mount one
(an activity that I strongly recommend against) I think you'd find they
have more speed than you'd really want. Great handlebars on those
critters, though.

I haven't heard anything bad about the Tassajara, and I'm sure it'll be
much better than any angry wild wooly beast when it comes to responsive
handling.

> 3) Is it ok for me to stay with the platform pedals that I have? Is it going
> to be dangerous or disadvantageous during any particular type of riding. The
> idea of my feet being clasped to the pedals makes me nervous.

You might want to give some thought to, at least, toe clips. I hadn't
ridden a bike with platform pedals until recently (on a rental bike). My
feet kept coming off the pedals on jumps & obstacles, and of course those
pedals would never pass up the opportunity to dig into my shins or calves.
My daughter has only been in the emergency room once in her life, thanks
to a platform pedal digging into her heel.

> 4) What's the deal with Vandeman and why does he post to this board when he
> dislikes MTB and MTB'ers? Is he the resident forum idiot that every NG must
> have?

You called it right. Ignore him, killfile him, occasionally ridicule him
if you like, but don't be the 10,000th person to try to set him straight.
It ain't gonna happen, and you'll irritate a lot of people in the process.
He's one of those rare people that don't have a clue because they just
don't want one.

-bb-