MTB Training program recommendations

mike

Jan 31, 2008, 3:06:55 PM1/31/08
I am looking for either recommendations or examples of a training
program I can use during the winter off season. (Living in Northern
Ontario, outdoor riding is not an option.)

I recently picked up a Tacx Sirius Mag trainer for my mountain bike
and am looking to make the most of my time on it. I am primarily a
cross-country rider, revisiting the sport after a number of years
off.
My biggest area I wish to concentrate on is my endurance.
The guy I ride with, kills me on the long climbs (short steep rocky
hills is my area to shine).

Any recommendations would be great.

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Dan...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2008, 3:16:48 PM1/31/08

Snow riding is the best summer riding training I've found.

mike

Jan 31, 2008, 3:48:03 PM1/31/08
> Snow riding is the best summer riding training I've found.- Hide quoted text -

That was fine early fall, when there was only an inch or two. The snow
in my front yard past my waist.
I normally stop riding outdoors at about 6 inches of snow.

Mike

Dan...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2008, 4:14:41 PM1/31/08
> Mike- Hide quoted text -

Is the waist-deep due to drifts, or the normal amount on the ground
over there at the moment? Are there no trails around that get enough
foot traffic to create a bit of a groove you can sludge through?
While our snow isn't quite waist deep yet, I manage to MTB year round
in NH. Sometimes the snow is hub deep, sometimes it's only 9", and
sometimes it's 18". It's hard work and slow going, but awesome
exercise. I could usually make better time walking, but I like riding
more, and it builds the muscles I'll use in the summer. Also,
downhills are a blast!

If it's out it's out, only you can say for sure, but I manage to ride
in some pretty deep stuff over here. You could even shovel your
favorite trail once, and then keep up on it with something like this
here http://tinyurl.com/2la8ek.

http://www.icebike.org/ has some excellent info as well if you want to
ride year round.

I can't bring myself to advocate indoor riding, but if you must I'd
use rollers over a trainer. At least you have to balance, and it
helps your pedaling form instead of hurting it. I've got a set, but
I'd rather ride outdoors.

Another idea that I've been saying I'll do soon and not doing is
building obstacles outdoors. Skinnies, etc. Wrap with chicken wire
or something to add traction, and you can work on bike handling.

What about "urban assault" style riding where things are plowed &
shoveled?

mike

Jan 31, 2008, 5:24:21 PM1/31/08
> http://www.icebike.org/has some excellent info as well if you want to

> ride year round.
>
> I can't bring myself to advocate indoor riding, but if you must I'd
> use rollers over a trainer.  At least you have to balance, and it
> helps your pedaling form instead of hurting it.  I've got a set, but
> I'd rather ride outdoors.
>
> Another idea that I've been saying I'll do soon and not doing is
> building obstacles outdoors.  Skinnies, etc.  Wrap with chicken wire
> or something to add traction, and you can work on bike handling.
>
> What about "urban assault" style riding where things are plowed &
> shoveled?- Hide quoted text -

If winter riding was an option, I would be the first one out there
riding. My personal favorite time to ride is spring here. I get
everything from deep mud/clay, to gravel, rocks and dirt (personally
love the clay runs the best).

When I lived in Southern Ontario (Toronto Area), year round riding was
possible.

Mike

MattB

Jan 31, 2008, 6:06:17 PM1/31/08

I think we have a similar amount of snow here, and the drifts are over
my head. And it was -22 F this morning, which makes the grease in the
bike pretty stiff too. So what I do to keep my fitness up is try and ski
when I would have ridden during the warmer months. I'll ride my town
bike to the office or trailhead, but going on a ride that would last
very long just isn't a very good option.

Do you have any XC ski gear? It's a great challenge to ski trails you
would normally ride. I have some Fisher Rebounds, which have metal
edges, some sidecut, and a waxless fishscale base. Great versatile skis
and they are much better in dicey or untracked snow than skinnier racing
XC stuff. Of course they are slower in a track, but I'd usually rather
go where there isn't a track anyway. I have SNS BC bindings on them BTW.

I also have a trainer and I ride it every now and then but I hate the
damn thing. I have to be pretty hard up for a workout to get on it. I'll
go out and ski down to about -20 to -25 but any colder than that and I
just can't keep my extremities warm. When I do ride it I'll just usually
put on a ski or MTB video and not go for more than an hour or two.

Good luck,
Matt

mike

Jan 31, 2008, 7:24:32 PM1/31/08
XC skiing may not be a bad idea. Would cut into my snowboarding time
however.

I was more or less looking for something simular to this site;
http://home.hia.no/~stephens/mtbplan.htm

Since I bought the trainer (last week), I have alternated from 1 hour,
veriable speeds/resistance, to next day 1 hour constant speed (approx.
25km per hour). I have done that for the past 5 days.
I am not sure if I will get the full benifit from this sort of
training, but until I found something better suited, I figured that
would be a good start.

As for the comment about shovelling the trail, I am assuming you where
trying to be funny, right?

Mike

Mike Vandeman

Jan 31, 2008, 8:07:48 PM1/31/08
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:06:55 -0800 (PST), mike <mlaw...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Good. Then training wheels are for you. They work every time.

>Mike
>mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

mike

Feb 1, 2008, 8:03:43 AM2/1/08
Mike Vandeman;

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but what the hell does your ("pure
habitat") have to do with my winter training?

If you ever get a chance, come up to Northern Ontario in the spring
time and honk your car horn at the first moose you see on/near the
road. You'll see pretty quickly that nature, for the most part, can
take care of itself. (btw, they like trucks and SUVs the best, compact
cars crush too easy.)

Mike

Dan...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2008, 9:17:29 AM2/1/08
On Jan 31, 7:24 pm, mike <mlawr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As for the comment about shovelling the trail, I am assuming you where
> trying to be funny, right?
>
> Mike

It was tongue in cheek. That said, I'm not above it - I have before
and I likely will again. Doesn't have to be pretty, clean, neat or
even all the way to the ground - just close enough to be rideable.

mike

Feb 1, 2008, 2:56:44 PM2/1/08
Just as a follow up to my question, The trainer program I will be
starting with will work as follows;
Week1 45mins, average speed 25km per hour, light resistance (about 3
on my trainer)
Week2 50mins (week1 * 10%), 25km per hour, light resistance (about 3
or 4 on my trainer)
Week3 55mins (week2 * 10%), 25km per hour, light resistance (about 3
or 4 on my trainer)
Week4 45mins (same as week1), 25km per hour, light resistance (about
3 or 4 on my trainer)

Week5 60mins (week3 * 10%), 25km per hour, light resistance (about 3
or 4 on my trainer)
Week6 65mins (week5 * 10%), 25km per hour, medium resistance (about 4
or 5 on my trainer)
Week7 73mins (week6 * 10%), 25km per hour, medium resistance (about 4
or 5 on my trainer)
Week8 60mins (same as week5), 25km per hour, light resistance (about
3 or 4 on my trainer)

I will be looking at doing between 3-5 rides a week, with weight
training on days not riding. These numbers may be adjusted over time,
pending work schedule.

Any added recommendations or comments on the above training Program?

Mike

Mike Vandeman

Feb 1, 2008, 8:42:18 PM2/1/08
On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 05:03:43 -0800 (PST), mike <mlaw...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Mike Vandeman;

>I don't mean to sound like an ass, but what the hell does your ("pure
>habitat") have to do with my winter training?

Probably nothing. Ever hear of a "signature"? It's on every one of my
posts.

>If you ever get a chance, come up to Northern Ontario in the spring
>time and honk your car horn at the first moose you see on/near the
>road.

I don't own a car.

You'll see pretty quickly that nature, for the most part, can
>take care of itself. (btw, they like trucks and SUVs the best, compact
>cars crush too easy.)
>

>Mike

Siskuwihane

Feb 2, 2008, 4:34:42 PM2/2/08
On Feb 1, 8:42 pm, Mike Vandeman <mjva...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 05:03:43 -0800 (PST), mike <mlawr...@gmail.com>

> wrote:
>
> >Mike Vandeman;
>
> >I don't mean to sound like an ass, but what the hell does your ("pure
> >habitat") have to do with my winter training?
>
> Probably nothing. Ever hear of a "signature"? It's on every one of my
> posts.
>
> >If you ever get a chance, come up to Northern Ontario in the spring
> >time and honk your car horn at the first moose you see on/near the
> >road.
>
> I don't own a car.

How do you get to the airport to attend "Lectures Given at
International Environmental Conferences"?
Walk?

Mike Vandeman

Feb 3, 2008, 2:13:26 PM2/3/08

Public transit. DUH!

Mike Vandeman

Feb 3, 2008, 2:16:27 PM2/3/08
On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 13:34:42 -0800 (PST), Siskuwihane
<Sisku...@gmail.com> wrote:

Interestingly, there are some airports that one can walk to. I walked
to the Adelaide, Australia airport from where I was staying.San
Diego's airport is within walking distance of downtown. I'm sure there
are lots of others.

Siskuwihane

Feb 3, 2008, 3:45:36 PM2/3/08
On Feb 3, 2:16 pm, Mike Vandeman <mjva...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 13:34:42 -0800 (PST), Siskuwihane
>

> <Siskuwih...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Feb 1, 8:42 pm, Mike Vandeman <mjva...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> >> Probably nothing. Ever hear of a "signature"? It's on every one of my
> >> posts.

> >> I don't own a car.
>
> >How do you get to the airport to attend "Lectures Given at
> >International Environmental Conferences"?
> >Walk?
>
> Interestingly, there are some airports that one can walk to. I walked
> to the Adelaide, Australia airport from where I was staying.San
> Diego's airport is within walking distance of downtown. I'm sure there
> are lots of others.

Only greedy people who have no concern for the enviroment use air
travel. They know full well that jets dump pollution directly in the
upper troposphere and lower stratusphere.

Next time take a sailboat.

"By 2050, carbon-dioxide emissions from airliners are expected to grow
two to 10 times the 1992 level, thanks to increasing air traffic,
according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report co-
authored byDr. Penner. By then, aircraft emissions will have risen to
5 percent of the cause of global warming, IPCC says.

New research suggests the problem could be even bigger. "Contrails can
be called a cause of warming and definitely need to be considered in
climate-change models," says Patrick Minnis, an atmospheric scientist
at Langley Research Center in Hampton, Va., part of the National
Aeronautics and Space Administration."

""Aviation's impact on the environment could be immense. Jet engines
directly emit greenhouse gases by burning kerosene."

Siskuwihane

Feb 3, 2008, 3:56:30 PM2/3/08
On Feb 3, 2:13 pm, Mike Vandeman <mjva...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 13:34:42 -0800 (PST), Siskuwihane
>

> <Siskuwih...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Feb 1, 8:42 pm, Mike Vandeman <mjva...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> >> Probably nothing. Ever hear of a "signature"? It's on every one of my
> >> posts.

> >> I don't own a car.
>
> >How do you get to the airport to attend "Lectures Given at
> >International Environmental Conferences"?
> >Walk?
>
> Public transit. DUH!

Next time take a SAILBOAT for international travel or make a
CONFERENCE CALL, DUH!

Mike Vandeman

Feb 3, 2008, 8:17:01 PM2/3/08

Have you ever used a motor vehicle for travel? If so, you don't have a
position for criticizing anyone.

Mike Vandeman

Feb 3, 2008, 8:17:58 PM2/3/08

Have you ever flown in an airplane, hypocrite?

Siskuwihane

Feb 3, 2008, 10:24:38 PM2/3/08

NO, I never have so calling me a hypocrite is a LIE.

YOU are the hypocrite for using a form of travel that is damaging to
the planet when you could be going by SAILBOAT or using conference
calling.

Beej Jorgensen

Feb 3, 2008, 11:55:15 PM2/3/08
Mike Vandeman <mjv...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>Have you ever used a motor vehicle for travel? If so, you don't have a
>position for criticizing anyone.

Cool. So if you'll just list all the forms of transportation you've
ever used, we'll know which ones we can use without you criticizing us.
:)

-Beej

Bill Sornson

Feb 4, 2008, 12:15:24 AM2/4/08

Psst. Those who don't preach conservation while practicing selfish,
destructive things like flying or driving to bargain basement "scientific
conferences" can use any form of transportation they choose. Politicians,
celebrities and Dimestore Do(r)c are the hypocrites when they don't follow
their own admonitions to the common people. Just like Al Gore's 1970s-era
Gulfstream jet and humongous, wasteful mansion, they're inconvenient facts.

HTH!

Mike Vandeman

Feb 4, 2008, 11:57:05 PM2/4/08
On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 04:55:15 +0000 (UTC), Beej Jorgensen <be...@beej.us>
wrote:

I knew you wouldn't tell the truth. QED

Mike Vandeman

Feb 4, 2008, 11:58:05 PM2/4/08

I guess you've never ridden in a motor vehicle, huh, hypocrite?

>YOU are the hypocrite for using a form of travel that is damaging to
>the planet when you could be going by SAILBOAT or using conference
>calling.

f.ef...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2008, 12:31:44 AM2/5/08
It seems counter intuitive to have people flying to an environmental
conference. Maybe you could push for a more distributed conference,
with local groups getting together to teleconference with other groups
around the world. It would preserve local face-to-face interaction
that reinforces the community aspect, but allow a global audience for
lectures (as well as more flexible timing via recorded playback). VoIP
(video and/or voice) technology could enable discussions of large
size. I believe Focus The Nation got together a webcast on the 31st to
many groups across the nation. Shouldn't be too hard do it several
times a day to a smaller audience.

If it's all about making sacrifices to preserve our life support
systems, then why not lead by example?

Bill Sornson

Feb 5, 2008, 12:53:37 AM2/5/08

ROTFL Great stuff! ROTFL

Siskuwihane

Feb 5, 2008, 6:52:09 AM2/5/08
On Feb 4, 11:58 pm, Mike Vandeman <mjva...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 19:24:38 -0800 (PST), Siskuwihane

I drive them all the time but that doesn't make me a hypocrite because
I'm not speaking out against environmental damage like YOU DO.

I can drive, fly, burn raw gas in a barrel in my back yard, dump motor
oil down the sewer and or any number of things that damage the planet.
While some those actions may even be against the law, it would never
make me a hypocrite because I don't go making speaches at
international environmental conferences. It however makes you a liar
and a fake.

Only selfish people fly on jets when they could be taking a SAILBOAT.

JP

Feb 5, 2008, 11:02:04 AM2/5/08

"Bill Sornson" <as...@ask.me> wrote in message

Pul-eeze.
He's a troll hiding behind an environmental banner.
He's got no real interest in the environment.
He's got no legitimate credentials.
He's done no legitimate research.

As millions of acres and the wilderness and wildlife thereon
are destroyed by mining and drilling and development
he rants about the destructive effects of eighteen inch wide
singletrack.

The only good example he'll make is when his remains become compost.
Until them he is quite useless.

Beej Jorgensen

Feb 5, 2008, 11:28:38 AM2/5/08
Mike Vandeman <mjv...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>I knew you wouldn't tell the truth. QED

Mike's quick on the dodge! What forms of transport do you use?

-Beej

magua...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2008, 11:14:15 AM2/6/08
> Until them he is quite useless.- Hide quoted text -

That dirty bastard Mike Vanderman...I knew it all along. One of them
there hippo-crits!!!! lol...

No kidding...we all know Vandershitte talks nothing but figures...and
liars figure and figures lie...He's a liar. All his posts, still no
facts all opinions.

magua...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2008, 11:31:46 AM2/6/08
On Feb 4, 11:58 pm, Mike Vandeman <mjva...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 19:24:38 -0800 (PST), Siskuwihane
>

> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande- Hide quoted text -

Mikey

If we wanted your expert opinion...we would ask it regarding your
specialty...what is that now besides being a true asshole...I believe
it is dietary? ? ?

Mike Vandeman

Feb 6, 2008, 8:11:52 PM2/6/08

I have always made that suggestion, of course. As soon as the
technology is available & affordable, and conference organizers want
to do it, it will happen. Video would present privacy problems.

Mike Vandeman

Feb 6, 2008, 8:13:07 PM2/6/08

So you are an environmental rapist, which is much worse than being a
hypocrite.

>I can drive, fly, burn raw gas in a barrel in my back yard, dump motor
>oil down the sewer and or any number of things that damage the planet.
>While some those actions may even be against the law, it would never
>make me a hypocrite because I don't go making speaches at
>international environmental conferences. It however makes you a liar
>and a fake.
>
>Only selfish people fly on jets when they could be taking a SAILBOAT.

Mike Vandeman

Feb 6, 2008, 8:14:01 PM2/6/08

No, I'm an expert on everything, compared to you.

Mike Vandeman

Feb 6, 2008, 8:15:40 PM2/6/08

Sorry, none of this excuses your flagrant rape of the environment. You
are fooling NO ONE.

Siskuwihane

Feb 6, 2008, 9:00:47 PM2/6/08
On Feb 6, 8:11 pm, Mike Vandeman <mjva...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 21:31:44 -0800 (PST), "f.eff...@gmail.com"

> <f.eff...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >It seems counter intuitive to have people flying to an environmental
> >conference. Maybe you could push for a more distributed conference,
> >with local groups getting together to teleconference with other groups
> >around the world. It would preserve local face-to-face interaction
> >that reinforces the community aspect, but allow a global audience for
> >lectures (as well as more flexible timing via recorded playback). VoIP
> >(video and/or voice) technology could enable discussions of large
> >size. I believe Focus The Nation got together a webcast on the 31st to
> >many groups across the nation. Shouldn't be too hard do it several
> >times a day to a smaller audience.
>
> >If it's all about making sacrifices to preserve our life support
> >systems, then why not lead by example?
>
> I have always made that suggestion, of course. As soon as the
> technology is available & affordable, and conference organizers want
> to do it, it will happen. Video would present privacy problems.
> --

There are no privacy problem using a SAILBOAT, DUH!

Siskuwihane

Feb 6, 2008, 9:04:33 PM2/6/08
LIAR! I drive a Honda Insight which is one of the most environmently
friendly cars.

Mike Vandeman

Feb 7, 2008, 8:08:23 PM2/7/08

A car is still a car, and pollutes the air, pollutes the water,
depletes the ozone layer, causes global warming, and kills people and
animals on the road. People who actually care about the environment
don't own cars.

Mike Vandeman

Feb 7, 2008, 8:10:30 PM2/7/08

Yes, there are. You need a public mooring. I guess you don't own a
sailboat. By the way, most sailboats have motors.

Siskuwihane

Feb 8, 2008, 6:40:39 AM2/8/08

Or fly around in jets.

Siskuwihane

Feb 8, 2008, 6:42:58 AM2/8/08

Most public transportation uses internal combustion engines.

Dan...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2008, 9:59:38 AM2/8/08

What's wrong with a private mooring? Where my family keeps the boats,
moored on private moorings we own holding docks we own, there are no
privacy issues.

Also, "most" sailboats do not have motors. Many do, but "most" do
not.

I know, I know, don't feed the trolls - but I know boats and this one
was too stupid to let pass.

magua...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2008, 4:01:50 AM2/9/08
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande- Hide quoted text -

I was reading some info on Mike Vanderman, that lying bastard, the
other day. It turns out he has always been a hypocrit and coward,
dodging issues and questions with nothing but lies and bad math. I re-
read his old posts...which bored me with repetious babble...and it all
is the same. There is nothing at all factual in any of his banter. I
respect most "real" scientist and naturalist and ecologist, being one
of the above myself, but I really am amazed that anyone would invite
such a huge fraud to speak at any convention. Probably all for profit
environmental groups only as I have witnessed. Of course his response
will be....

Lies, where's the facts...LIAR...DUH....

What intelligent responses he has too...IDIOT...etc. See, that's the
beauty of most of us on here. I don't pretend to be something I am
not. I will state it straight that Mikey is a fraud and an
ASSHOLE...and a dick, etc. But he is a pretender...a sheep, the great
follower. No doubt he profits as has been proven of his banter. What a
fake.

Mike Vandeman

Feb 10, 2008, 2:57:32 PM2/10/08

Your vain attempt to prevent the TRUTH about mountain biking from
being told is duly noted. Obviously, the reason I'm continually
invited to speak is that, UNLIKE YOU, I tell the truth.

Siskuwihane

Feb 10, 2008, 4:06:39 PM2/10/08
> was too stupid to let pass.- Hide quoted text -

It seems Mikey does own a boat because his wife said he had a little
dinghy.

JP

Feb 11, 2008, 12:22:19 AM2/11/08

"Mike Vandeman" <mjv...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> Sorry, none of this excuses your flagrant rape of the environment. You
> are fooling NO ONE.
> --
>
> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
> fond of!
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

And therein lies your deceit.

I/we are not flagrently raping the environment, or creating any measurable
negative
effect on the environment whatsoever.

This is a falsely documented myth of your own creation for reasons
incomprehensible to a sane mind.
A fairy tale you use to justify your antagonistic trolling.
Unfortunately you can trick the slow-witted, at least for a time.
What an accomplishment for Micheal Vandeman PhD!!!

pmh

Feb 11, 2008, 8:55:45 AM2/11/08
On Feb 11, 12:22 am, "JP" <vze2w...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Mike Vandeman" <mjva...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

On a stormy day such as we're having here, Mikey provides a modicum of
entertainment. There's never anything much to be gained by responding
to his blatherings.
It's instructive to see how widespread is the disdain for for his
rabid misanthropy.

PMH

Mike Vandeman

Feb 11, 2008, 8:15:19 PM2/11/08

are fooling NO ONE. Repeating lies doesn't make them true, no matter
how many times you do it, in spite of what Hitler said.

Mike Vandeman

Feb 11, 2008, 8:16:30 PM2/11/08
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 05:55:45 -0800 (PST), pmh <pmhi...@verizon.net>
wrote:

... among mountain bikers, who can't stand having anyone tell the
truth about their selfish, destructive sport.

>PMH

Siskuwihane

Feb 11, 2008, 9:38:41 PM2/11/08
On Feb 11, 8:16 pm, Mike Vandeman <mjva...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 05:55:45 -0800 (PST), pmh <pmhil...@verizon.net>

Mike Vandeman+Commercial Aviation=Raping The Upper Atmosphere

Beej Jorgensen

Feb 12, 2008, 12:23:00 AM2/12/08
Mike Vandeman <mjv...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>Hitler

Everybody drink!

-Beej

Mike Vandeman

Feb 12, 2008, 8:27:48 PM2/12/08

Prove it, liar.

Siskuwihane

Feb 12, 2008, 10:05:23 PM2/12/08
> >Mike Vandeman+Commercial Aviation=Raping The Upper Atmosphere
>
> Prove it, liar.

If your lazy ass is seated on the plane, then you're part of the
problem, DUH!

Siskuwihane

Feb 12, 2008, 10:06:32 PM2/12/08
On Feb 11, 8:15 pm, Mike Vandeman <mjva...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 05:22:19 GMT, "JP" <vze2w...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> >"Mike Vandeman" <mjva...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> >> Sorry, none of this excuses your flagrant rape of the environment. You
> >> are fooling NO ONE.
> >> --
> >> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
> >> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
> >> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>
> >> Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
> >> fond of!
>
> >>http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
>
> >And therein lies your deceit.
>
> >I/we are not flagrently raping the environment,  or creating any measurable
> >negative
> >effect on the environment whatsoever.
>
> >This is a falsely documented myth of your own creation for reasons
> >incomprehensible to a sane mind.
> >A fairy tale you use to justify your antagonistic trolling.
> >Unfortunately you can trick the slow-witted, at least for a time.
> >What an accomplishment for Micheal Vandeman PhD!!!
>
> Sorry, none of this excuses your flagrant rape of the environment.

Prove it, liar.

mike

Feb 13, 2008, 8:16:20 AM2/13/08
I am not sure what is worse, the fact that I have a busy msg thread,
that is completely off topic, or that I was the one that started this.
Anyway, can't beat them, joining them.

As for the tree hugging hippy crap, my only thoughts are, WTF.

I am sure that most people in this news group, such as myself, ride
mountain bike because we enjoy it. We commute to work via bike because
it is convenient, or more economical then driving.
I own a minivan and a large car. The kids and wife will not fit in a
electric clown car, which would cost me more $$ to purchase, more $$
to maintain, and would cause more damage to the environment being
manufactured and disposed of.

As for the sailboat crap, I have never seen a sailboat designed for
the ocean that did not have multiple engines. Before I get beat up on
this, consider where the drinking water comes from, the power for
lights, and how the F*%K do you move a boat into port.

In a country of about 3 people per km (less then 1 per km in my area),
nature is doing fine.

One word of advise, if you see mother bear on the trails, leave her
alone. She will not think twice of pollution your rotting ass will
cause.

Mike

</RANT>

Siskuwihane

Feb 13, 2008, 3:56:08 PM2/13/08
On Feb 13, 8:16 am, mike <mlawr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As for the sailboat crap, I have never seen a sailboat designed for
> the ocean that did not have multiple engines. Before I get beat up on
> this, consider where the drinking water comes from, the power for
> lights, and how the F*%K do you move a boat into port.

The Mayflower had NO engines! DUH!

It's not about sailboats, it's hypocrites.

Galen Hekhuis

Feb 13, 2008, 4:38:58 PM2/13/08

Just as a useless data point, I owned and lived on a yawl (type of
sailboat) in Hawaii that was built to race the "Mini-Transpac" (race
from California to Hawaii) that was not designed to have any engine at
all. Many is the time I sailed (without engine power) out of my slip
in the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor and then later back in and tied up at the
slip all without any engine power whatsoever. As for water, I carried
that in containers, as many ocean sailors do, and about the only
lights I ever ran at sea were running lights -- I had no engine,
alternator or inverter to run those -- they ran off a battery, charged
with shore power in port. If it needed to be recharged while out at
sea, there are many types of solar cells or generators (not engine
driven) for that purpose. I worked on several sailboats which were
retro-fitted, but not designed, to employ an engine. Granted, engine
power is nice, and I put a Johnson 5 1/2 hp outboard on it for "harbor
sails," but a sailboat definitely does not require any sort of engine
(engineless sailboat skippers often referred to power boats as
"stinkpots,").
Galen Hekhuis ghek...@earthlink.net

Mike Vandeman

Feb 13, 2008, 11:33:37 PM2/13/08

Prove it, liar.

then you're part of the
>problem, DUH!

Siskuwihane

Feb 14, 2008, 6:25:19 AM2/14/08

This is the part of the thread where Michael J. Vandeman has nothing
more, no facts, no proof, nothing. He's finished and knows it and will
now continue with his third grade drivel. He claimed someone else was
"flagrantly raping the environment" and when asked to prove became as
silent as his dead cat Bob.
"Silent Bob", hehe.

Mike Vandeman

Feb 15, 2008, 10:54:30 AM2/15/08

No response? I thought so.

>>  then you're part of the>problem, DUH!
>
>This is the part of the thread where Michael J. Vandeman has nothing
>more, no facts, no proof, nothing. He's finished and knows it and will
>now continue with his third grade drivel. He claimed someone else was
>"flagrantly raping the environment" and when asked to prove became as
>silent as his dead cat Bob.
>"Silent Bob", hehe.

Siskuwihane

Feb 15, 2008, 2:24:49 PM2/15/08

Case closed.

Beej Jorgensen

Feb 15, 2008, 8:17:41 PM2/15/08
Mike Vandeman <mjv...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>No response? I thought so.

That reminds me... I'm still waiting for that list of all types of
transportation you've ever used. We need to know which ones are
Vandeman-Approved.

-Beej

Mike Vandeman

Feb 15, 2008, 8:55:03 PM2/15/08

In other words, you have no evidence whatsoever to support your claim.
So very like a mountain biker....

Mike Vandeman

Feb 15, 2008, 8:55:59 PM2/15/08

I don't apoprove any of them, least of all mountain biking.

>-Beej

Siskuwihane

Feb 15, 2008, 10:49:37 PM2/15/08

I don't own a mountain bike nor do I ride one, therefore I am not a
mountain biker, that makes you a LIAR.

pmh

Feb 16, 2008, 9:42:42 AM2/16/08

To Mikey, anyone with whom he disagrees on any topic is perforce a
mountain biker. He labeled me a mountain biker years ago, yet I don't
know a single person who owns one!

PMH

Mike Vandeman

Feb 16, 2008, 10:39:17 PM2/16/08

I didn't say you are, liar: "So very like a mountain biker". Idiot.

Mike Vandeman

Feb 16, 2008, 10:40:32 PM2/16/08
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 06:42:42 -0800 (PST), pmh <pmhi...@verizon.net>
wrote: