Sierra Club removes you know who

IMBA Jim

Nov 7, 2002, 3:51:40 PM11/7/02
Jim Hasenauer of IMBA here. The material below was just posted to the IMBA
listserve. I though Vandeman's followers here on alt.mountain-bike would
appreciate the information. (BTW, the SF Bay Chapter Wildlife Committee that
MV chaired only had two other people on it.) Jim Hasenauer

_______________________
Shaun Reid, President of the Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay posted on
the imba advocacy listserve
As a general rule, I ignore the various postings and rants of Mike Vandeman,
although I do have occasional encounters with him at local Sierra Club
meetings. However, as there has been some recent discussion about him on this
list, I thought you might find this bit of news interesting.

For a little background, Mike reported Steve Krieg, local chapter chair of the
Sierra Club to his employer, Bank of America, for using company e-mail for SC
business. Some of you may recall that Steve Krieg was the one who supported
the Sierra Club's welcoming of our Trail Care Crew. That welcome was
subsequently rescinded following a motion by anti-mountain bike SCers.

End result: Mike has been stripped of his role as Chair of the Bay Chapter's
Wildlife Committee and it has been recommended that he be banned from holding
leadership positions due to a breach of leadership trust.

Shaun Reid
Bay Area IMBA Rep
President, BTCEB

ITEM 2. MINUTES OF THE OCTOBER 2002 MEETINGS
Minutes of the Executive Committee DRAFT
Sierra Club San Francisco Bay Chapter
October 14, 2002

4. EXECUTIVE SESSION: Disciplinary Committee Report
ExCom met in Executive Session from 8:00 to 8:45 p.m..

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE RECONVENED:
Rizzo reported the outcome of Executive Session:
Following the Disciplinary Committee report from Rizzo and Stout, a
motion
MS (Solotar; Macris) for disciplinary action regarding Mike Vandeman was
amended by MS (Bloom; McLean) to be voted on as two separate actions,
with
the results as follows:

1) Motion to remove Mike Vandeman from his appointed position as
Wildlife
Committee Chair for the Chapter, with reinstatement only by action from
ExCom, was approved with 11 in favor; 0 opposed; 3 abstaining.

2) Motion to send a letter to the Organizational Effectiveness
Governance
Committee (OEG Com) recommending BOLT (Breach of Leadership Trust) action
to ban Mike Vandeman from holding leadership positions in the Sierra Club
passed with 7 in favor; 4 opposed; 3 abstaining.

G.T.

Nov 7, 2002, 4:38:16 PM11/7/02
IMBA Jim wrote:
> Jim Hasenauer of IMBA here. The material below was just posted to the IMBA
> listserve. I though Vandeman's followers here on alt.mountain-bike would
> appreciate the information. (BTW, the SF Bay Chapter Wildlife Committee that
> MV chaired only had two other people on it.) Jim Hasenauer
>
> _______________________
> Shaun Reid, President of the Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay posted on
> the imba advocacy listserve
> As a general rule, I ignore the various postings and rants of Mike Vandeman,
> although I do have occasional encounters with him at local Sierra Club
> meetings. However, as there has been some recent discussion about him on this
> list, I thought you might find this bit of news interesting.
>
> For a little background, Mike reported Steve Krieg, local chapter chair of the
> Sierra Club to his employer, Bank of America, for using company e-mail for SC
> business. Some of you may recall that Steve Krieg was the one who supported
> the Sierra Club's welcoming of our Trail Care Crew. That welcome was
> subsequently rescinded following a motion by anti-mountain bike SCers.
>
> End result: Mike has been stripped of his role as Chair of the Bay Chapter's
> Wildlife Committee and it has been recommended that he be banned from holding
> leadership positions due to a breach of leadership trust.

Hahaha, thanks Jim. Someone had mentioned it before but the more detail
the better!

Greg

--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late,
the battles we fought were long and hard,

Captain Adventure

Nov 7, 2002, 4:52:04 PM11/7/02
Gotta luv that!

"IMBA Jim" <imb...@aol.com> wrote in message

Michael Paul

Nov 7, 2002, 5:45:04 PM11/7/02
Hehehehehe

11-0 and 7-4 votes? it wasn't even close!

Michael

Ruger9

Nov 7, 2002, 5:58:18 PM11/7/02
On 07 Nov 2002 20:51:40 GMT, imb...@aol.com (IMBA Jim) wrote:

>Jim Hasenauer of IMBA here. The material below was just posted to the IMBA
>listserve. I though Vandeman's followers here on alt.mountain-bike would
>appreciate the information. (BTW, the SF Bay Chapter Wildlife Committee that
>MV chaired only had two other people on it.) Jim Hasenauer
>
>_______________________
>Shaun Reid, President of the Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay posted on
>the imba advocacy listserve
>As a general rule, I ignore the various postings and rants of Mike Vandeman,
>although I do have occasional encounters with him at local Sierra Club
>meetings. However, as there has been some recent discussion about him on this
>list, I thought you might find this bit of news interesting.
>
>For a little background, Mike reported Steve Krieg, local chapter chair of the
>Sierra Club to his employer, Bank of America, for using company e-mail for SC
>business. Some of you may recall that Steve Krieg was the one who supported
>the Sierra Club's welcoming of our Trail Care Crew. That welcome was
>subsequently rescinded following a motion by anti-mountain bike SCers.
>
>End result: Mike has been stripped of his role as Chair of the Bay Chapter's
>Wildlife Committee and it has been recommended that he be banned from holding
>leadership positions due to a breach of leadership trust.

I couldn't have happened to a nicer guy...

ELi

Bruce

Nov 7, 2002, 6:01:00 PM11/7/02

"IMBA Jim" <imb...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Jim Hasenauer of IMBA here.

<snip instant kharma for MV>

It couldn't have happened to a more deserving mammal. Thanks, Jim!!!!!

penny s

Nov 7, 2002, 6:35:27 PM11/7/02
Maybe there's hope for the SC yet. I've quit giving them money because a) if
they'd quit cutting down trees for all that junk mail, they'd save a bundle
of money and trees b) the anti-biking stance c) I actually think forest
thinning is a great idea and needs to be done for forest health. Nuff said.
penny

Trekkie Dad

Nov 7, 2002, 8:26:02 PM11/7/02
In article <20021107155140...@mb-mh.aol.com>,
imb...@aol.com (IMBA Jim) wrote:

> For a little background, Mike reported Steve Krieg, local chapter chair of the
> Sierra Club to his employer, Bank of America, for using company e-mail for SC
> business.

I received a longer version of this that includes the text of the email
complaint that mikey sent. A member of the SF Bay chapter was kind
enough to forward it to me.

mikey has been admonished before for using a pseudonym on SC listservs
and misrepresenting the chapter's position on mountain biking.

TD

--
trekk...@yahoo.com
World Without Cars Dictionary of Vandemisms (1998) still available at:

gabrielle

Nov 7, 2002, 9:19:15 PM11/7/02
On Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:35:27 -0800, penny s wrote:

> Maybe there's hope for the SC yet. I've quit giving them money because
> a) if they'd quit cutting down trees for all that junk mail, they'd save
> a bundle of money and trees b) the anti-biking stance c) I actually
> think forest thinning is a great idea and needs to be done for forest
> health. Nuff said. penny

I quit giving to them after being harassed by one of their canvassers.

Thank [deity] for large husbands.

gabrielle

gabrielle

Nov 7, 2002, 9:18:24 PM11/7/02
On Thu, 07 Nov 2002 12:51:40 -0800, IMBA Jim wrote:

> End result: Mike has been stripped of his role as Chair of the Bay
> Chapter's Wildlife Committee and it has been recommended that he be
> banned from holding leadership positions due to a breach of leadership
> trust.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Oh yes!

gabrielle

Michael Silver

Nov 7, 2002, 10:36:24 PM11/7/02
imb...@aol.com (IMBA Jim) wrote in message news:<20021107155140...@mb-mh.aol.com>...

> Jim Hasenauer of IMBA here. The material below was just posted to the IMBA
> listserve. I though Vandeman's followers here on alt.mountain-bike would
> appreciate the information. (BTW, the SF Bay Chapter Wildlife Committee that
> MV chaired only had two other people on it.) Jim Hasenauer

Lucky us. Mike gets what he deserves AND we have had no posts from
him for about 24 hours!! Maybe he is too depressed to use his
computer.

He has been getting utterly waxed in this newsgroup, he has been
disiplined by SC and a new study on MBer's doesn't support his claims
(again).

I would watch out for him. He seems like an illogical person that may
just snap and take out a few people.

...Michael...

Pat O'Connell

Nov 7, 2002, 11:11:21 PM11/7/02
gabrielle wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:35:27 -0800, penny s wrote:
>
> > Maybe there's hope for the SC yet. I've quit giving them money because
> > a) if they'd quit cutting down trees for all that junk mail, they'd save
> > a bundle of money and trees b) the anti-biking stance c) I actually
> > think forest thinning is a great idea and needs to be done for forest
> > health. Nuff said. penny

Thinning's good, but if done by a lumber company I think a Forest
Service ranger needs to be there at all times while the work's being
done.

> I quit giving to them after being harassed by one of their canvassers.

Never been harassed by one, but many SC members exude a "holier than
thou" attitude that's off-putting. MV is just the extension of that
attitude to absurdity.

I do belong to the National Spelological Society (life member, and so
is Galen Hekhuis), and have belonged to the Nature Conservancy in the
past. Neither group is sanctimonious.

--
Pat O'Connell
Take nothing but pictures, Leave nothing but footprints,

JD

Nov 7, 2002, 11:52:08 PM11/7/02
imb...@aol.com (IMBA Jim) wrote in message news:<20021107155140...@mb-mh.aol.com>...
> For a little background, Mike reported Steve Krieg, local chapter chair of the
> Sierra Club to his employer, Bank of America, for using company e-mail for SC
> business.

> End result: Mike has been stripped of his role as Chair of the Bay Chapter's

> Wildlife Committee and it has been recommended that he be banned from holding
> leadership positions due to a breach of leadership trust.

Karma is a bitch, especially to rat bastards. I hope some of the
other rat bastards who frequent this newswgroup are taking notes.

JD

pmhi...@mfx.net

Nov 8, 2002, 6:10:35 AM11/8/02
penny s wrote:

> Maybe there's hope for the SC yet. I've quit giving them money because a) if
> they'd quit cutting down trees for all that junk mail, they'd save a bundle
> of money and trees b) the anti-biking stance c) I actually think forest
> thinning is a great idea and needs to be done for forest health. Nuff said.
> penny

For a very good read, try A Year in the Maine Woods by Bernd Heinrich. He's a
laid-back *observant* profesor from Univ of Vermont who owns a small piece of
land in one of the more interesting sections of Maine. This book is rather a
one-year journal compiled of many lengthy, careful observations. Of particular
note is the portion where he instructs his graduate students to examine
carefully similar areas of climax forest & regrowth forest. Little or nothing of
note in the first except inevitable fire danger; the second teems with life &
activity.

Yours in the north Maine woods,
Pete Hilton aka The Ent

--
I intend to live forever.
So far, so good.

scott...@webtv.net

Nov 8, 2002, 7:06:23 AM11/8/02
> I hope some of the other rat
> bastards who frequent this newswgroup
> are taking notes.

>JD

Yeah, I hope you do too

Kathleen

Nov 8, 2002, 7:45:46 AM11/8/02
IMBA Jim wrote:

> Jim Hasenauer of IMBA here. The material below was just posted to the IMBA
> listserve. I though Vandeman's followers here on alt.mountain-bike would
> appreciate the information. (BTW, the SF Bay Chapter Wildlife Committee that
> MV chaired only had two other people on it.) Jim Hasenauer

<snip>

It's Friday.

It's going to be sunny and warm.

I don't have to work or be anywhere special until 6:30 tonight.

My bike is packed and loaded and the dogs are ready to run.

The news about Mike is like icing on an already tasty cake!

Kathleen
Life is good

Jonathan Harris

Nov 8, 2002, 8:05:30 AM11/8/02
Kathleen wrote:
> IMBA Jim wrote:
>

>>Jim Hasenauer of IMBA here. The material below was just posted to the IMBA
>>listserve. I though Vandeman's followers here on alt.mountain-bike would
>>appreciate the information. (BTW, the SF Bay Chapter Wildlife Committee that
>>MV chaired only had two other people on it.) Jim Hasenauer
>

> <snip>
>
> It's Friday.

Ditto.

> It's going to be sunny and warm.

It's cold and wet here.

> I don't have to work or be anywhere special until 6:30 tonight.

I have to be at work.

> My bike is packed and loaded and the dogs are ready to run.

My bikes are in several pieces and there's no beer in the fridge.

> The news about Mike is like icing on an already tasty cake!

Hell, I only eat the icing off cakes anyway!

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://bombacommand.iwarp.com/ambfaq.htm

a.bmx FAQ: http://bombacommand.iwarp.com/bmx_faq.htm

Michael Dart

Nov 8, 2002, 8:12:01 AM11/8/02

> For a little background, Mike reported Steve Krieg, local chapter chair of
the
> Sierra Club to his employer, Bank of America, for using company e-mail for
SC
> business. Some of you may recall that Steve Krieg was the one who
supported
> the Sierra Club's welcoming of our Trail Care Crew. That welcome was
> subsequently rescinded following a motion by anti-mountain bike SCers.
>
> End result: Mike has been stripped of his role as Chair of the Bay
Chapter's
> Wildlife Committee and it has been recommended that he be banned from
holding
> leadership positions due to a breach of leadership trust.
>
> Shaun Reid
> Bay Area IMBA Rep
> President, BTCEB

To misquote the bumper sticker you could say "His karma ran over his dogma!"
Thanks for the info Jim.
Mike

JoellesHusband

Nov 8, 2002, 10:06:35 AM11/8/02
JD got off of his tricycle adjusted his diaper and whined....

> Karma is a bitch, especially to rat bastards. I hope some of the
> other rat bastards who frequent this newswgroup are taking notes.
>
> JD

He he he.......tough shit

Gary S.

Nov 8, 2002, 10:34:10 AM11/8/02

As someone who has served in a variety of committee positions in a
similar group (Appalachian Mtn. Club) and other groups, this sort of
disciplinary action is quite rare, from what I have seen. People in
volunteer organizations are reluctant to turn away a volunteer, or to
say anything negative about one publicly. Sometimes a
behind-the-scenes talk with a committee chair is tried first.

That this action DID take place indicates how concerned the Sierra
Club Chapter must have been over MV's actions, not just on this one
occasion, but on many other occasions where no formal action was
taken. Someone in a leadership position represents an organization,
and the Exec Comm/Board is responsible to make sure that people with
that trust use it properly.

I'm not going to waste time looking at MV's website, I have my lint
collection to sort.

But I bet that either: A) he will continue to use the position he was
removed from as part of his CV on environmental issues, as though he
sets policy for the whole Sierra Club; or

B) All of a sudden, he will start to attack the Sierra Club as a bunch
of liars, dum-dums, criminals, anti-environment, and maybe even
mountain-bikers.

Bottom line, MV believes that respect for him, and 100% agreement with
HIS TRUTH, is more important than anything else, including the
environment.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Dennis Baker

Nov 8, 2002, 12:17:39 PM11/8/02
CKA...@webtv.net (JD) wrote in message

> > For a little background, Mike reported Steve Krieg, local chapter chair of the
> > Sierra Club to his employer, Bank of America, for using company e-mail for SC
> > business.
>
> > End result: Mike has been stripped of his role as Chair of the Bay Chapter's
> > Wildlife Committee and it has been recommended that he be banned from holding
> > leadership positions due to a breach of leadership trust.
>
> Karma is a bitch, especially to rat bastards. I hope some of the
> other rat bastards who frequent this newswgroup are taking notes.
>
> JD

I don't think any of the others have even come close to MV. It's one
thing to have a difference of opinion with someone but attempting to
get someone fired/ disciplined at work for it crosses the line. Only
a real loser would do something that low. And then he brags about it
here and elsewhere like it's some sort of accomplishment.

I've never been one to wish ill to others but I hope getting banned
from SC is just the tip of the bad karma iceberg for him.

-- The Ogre
http://ogrehut.com

John Paul Minda

Nov 8, 2002, 4:31:31 PM11/8/02
in 3DCB9BAB...@mfx.net, pmhi...@mfx.net wrote on 11/8/02 5:10 AM:

> For a very good read, try A Year in the Maine Woods by Bernd Heinrich. He's a
> laid-back *observant* profesor from Univ of Vermont who owns a small piece of
> land in one of the more interesting sections of Maine. This book is rather a
> one-year journal compiled of many lengthy, careful observations. Of particular
> note is the portion where he instructs his graduate students to examine
> carefully similar areas of climax forest & regrowth forest. Little or nothing
> of
> note in the first except inevitable fire danger; the second teems with life &
> activity.

I read that a few years ago and I liked it very much. More than I expected
to. I bought when I was visiting Maine. My wife owns land up north of
Skowhegan that we might build a cabin on someday. I expected the book to be
a fairly straight forward journal ("today I cut wood and saw a moose", etc.)
I was impressed by how much science there was in the book. The elaborate
descriptions of the systems by which maples "decide" to go to seed or not,
was impressive.

Also inspired me to get out running more...

JD

Nov 8, 2002, 6:39:23 PM11/8/02
From: ratbastard#1 (scott...@webtv.net)
Subject: Re: Sierra Club removes you know who
Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike
Date: 2002-11-08 04:15:11 PST

> I hope some of the other rat
> bastards who frequent this newswgroup
> are taking notes.
>JD

Yeah, I hope you do too

He he he.......tough shit

Funny how the biggest rats eat the cheese first.

JD

=====
"It hurts when I think" - George Carlin

Bruce

Nov 8, 2002, 10:18:56 PM11/8/02

"Dennis Baker" <mtb_...@softhome.net> wrote in message

> CKA...@webtv.net (JD) wrote in message
>

> I don't think any of the others have even come close to MV. It's one

> thing to have a difference of opinion with someone but attempting to
> get someone fired/ disciplined at work for it crosses the line. Only
> a real loser would do something that low. And then he brags about it
> here and elsewhere like it's some sort of accomplishment.

Don't forget.....It's easier to put people and their ways down than to be a
real man (or woman). That louse deserves what he gets.....Yeah...Instant
karma. Actually...not that instant, but appreciated just the same.

> I've never been one to wish ill to others but I hope getting banned
> from SC is just the tip of the bad karma iceberg for him.

You're just saying that to cheer us up.

R.White

Nov 8, 2002, 11:22:38 PM11/8/02
CKA...@webtv.net (JD) wrote in message news:<bff73eaa.02110...@posting.google.com>...

Those two rats are eating each other.

Bill Porter

Nov 9, 2002, 1:24:18 AM11/9/02
On 07 Nov 2002 20:51:40 GMT, imb...@aol.com (IMBA Jim) wrote:

>1) Motion to remove Mike Vandeman from his appointed position as
>Wildlife
>Committee Chair for the Chapter, with reinstatement only by action from
>ExCom, was approved with 11 in favor; 0 opposed; 3 abstaining.
>
>2) Motion to send a letter to the Organizational Effectiveness
>Governance
>Committee (OEG Com) recommending BOLT (Breach of Leadership Trust) action
>to ban Mike Vandeman from holding leadership positions in the Sierra Club
>passed with 7 in favor; 4 opposed; 3 abstaining.

He He.. By the time I read this, there were 22 replys. Funny how no troll replys on this
one. :-)

Bill Porter
www.mountainbikebill.com

Dennis Baker

Nov 9, 2002, 3:09:21 AM11/9/02
"Bruce" <trat...@tcrtuztio.com> wrote in message

> > I don't think any of the others have even come close to MV. It's one
> > thing to have a difference of opinion with someone but attempting to
> > get someone fired/ disciplined at work for it crosses the line. Only
> > a real loser would do something that low. And then he brags about it
> > here and elsewhere like it's some sort of accomplishment.
>
> Don't forget.....It's easier to put people and their ways down than to be a
> real man (or woman). That louse deserves what he gets.....Yeah...Instant
> karma. Actually...not that instant, but appreciated just the same.

The sad part is that he probably will learn nothing from this. Most
likely he is sitting back reading our posts and trying to figure out
how he can do exactally the same thing or it's equivalent to us. The
man has no sense of right and wrong.

> > I've never been one to wish ill to others but I hope getting banned
> > from SC is just the tip of the bad karma iceberg for him.
>
> You're just saying that to cheer us up.

Of coarse now that he has no SC duties he will probably have more time
to surf AMB and you KNOW his twisted mind will find a way to blame the
mountain biking population for this.

JoellesHusband

Nov 9, 2002, 11:09:40 AM11/9/02
CKA...@webtv.net (JD) whined again >

> Funny how the biggest rats eat the cheese first.
>
> JD

Still mad about not being able to post from work anymore?.....too bad.

If you weren't such an asshole you wouldn't have to worry about Karma.

Get it?......didn't think so.

JD

Nov 9, 2002, 10:45:40 PM11/9/02
joelles...@hotmail.com (JoellesHusband) wrote in message news:<5714eae4.02110...@posting.google.com>...

> CKA...@webtv.net (JD) whined again >
>
> > Funny how the biggest rats eat the cheese first.
> >
> > JD
> >

> Still mad about not being able to post from work anymore?.....too bad.

It's almost as inconsequential as you are.

> If you weren't such an asshole you wouldn't have to worry about Karma.

No worries here. You really are pathetic, aren't you?

> Get it?......didn't think so.

Your number will be called someday, probably in a jail cell with
someone named Bruno.

JD

JoellesHusband

Nov 10, 2002, 10:15:45 AM11/10/02
CKA...@webtv.net (JD) cried again

> > If you weren't such an asshole you wouldn't have to worry about Karma.
>
> No worries here. You really are pathetic, aren't you?
>
> > Get it?......didn't think so.
>
> Your number will be called someday, probably in a jail cell with
> someone named Bruno.
>
> JD

This from somebody who abandoned his child in favor of his bike. Now
thats pathetic. One of the benefits of seeing your kids everyday is
that you aren't surprised at how much they have grown when on the rare
occassion a lame ass father such as your self gets to see your kid.

Now that's KARMA!!

Hope ypu are not too bored at work. Try e-mailing your kid some time
asshole.

JD

Nov 10, 2002, 9:05:10 PM11/10/02
joelles...@hotmail.com (JoellesHusband) wrote in message news:<5714eae4.02111...@posting.google.com>...

> CKA...@webtv.net (JD) cried again
>

> > > If you weren't such an asshole you wouldn't have to worry about Karma.
> >
> > No worries here. You really are pathetic, aren't you?
> >
> > > Get it?......didn't think so.
> >
> > Your number will be called someday, probably in a jail cell with
> > someone named Bruno.
> >
> > JD

<snip same lame speculation>

Yup, inconsequential is a good word for you.

JD