Contemporary British Army slang

Anne Powell

Jan 28, 2001, 6:34:10 PM1/28/01
I am currently working on a novel, part of which is situated on a
British Army base. Could anyone help me with some information about
typical slang words used in the Army nowadays? I would be greatly
helped.

Thanks in advance,
Anne Powell

***remove the ANTISPAM in my e-mail address***

he...@dds.nl

Iain Frame

Jan 29, 2001, 5:49:31 PM1/29/01
I'd say there are some pretty typical ones in the glossary of most of those
"andy mcnab" type books.

Iain,
NI

Anne Powell <apowell...@softhome.net> wrote in message

myopic visionary

Jan 29, 2001, 6:09:52 PM1/29/01

where is it based? diff places diff local terminology.
whats the story? relevant to the accuracy of your potrayal.

Wil

agpi100

Jan 29, 2001, 6:25:56 PM1/29/01
scran= food, tab=ciggie, gucci=showy or flashy, i'll think of some more
later

Anne Powell

Jan 29, 2001, 8:38:33 PM1/29/01
myopic visionary <Juni...@opa.com> wrote:

>where is it based? diff places diff local terminology.
>whats the story? relevant to the accuracy of your potrayal.
>
>Wil

As you'll understand, I'm not about to give the story away :-)
But an important part would be in a military hospital, anyway.

Thanks in advance for any help...
Anne

Andrew Blake

Jan 30, 2001, 6:22:13 PM1/30/01

Colonel (or Colonel Gadaffi) = Naffi
Diggers = knife & fork
Pads Bratt = Soldiers kid living in Army House
Pads Wife = Soldiers wife living in Army House
FullScrew = Corporal
Shitshow = Disco held on base
Harry Black ( or harry black maskers) = black masking tape
Knacker / Useless Knacker = unfit or useless soldier
Penny Bets = Last girl left at the disco
Loads of name ones. e.g: Chalky (White), Dinger (Bell), Smudger (Smith)
may think of some more later, its been a couple of years :)
Andrew Blake

TinkerTailor

Jan 31, 2001, 2:22:22 PM1/31/01
What sort of words are you after?
Certainly know a few, still learning them!

Get in touch.

b.lawes

Feb 13, 2001, 3:28:42 PM2/13/01
Along similar lines, can anyone tell me why a fried egg sandwich
is called an 'Egg Banjo?' I never found anyone who could tell me.

Barry

Bob Spowart

Feb 16, 2001, 3:32:34 PM2/16/01

b.lawes wrote in message ...

>Along similar lines, can anyone tell me why a fried egg sandwich
>is called an 'Egg Banjo?' I never found anyone who could tell me.

Don't know why, but try this for starters!

Egg Banjo Supreme

Slice of bread coated with brown sauce,
Place on top a freshly fried egg,
Place on top of that some thinly sliced cheese,
Top this with a slice of bread, fried on one side, fried side on top of the
cheese.

Bob

Glyn Davies

Feb 16, 2001, 3:29:40 PM2/16/01

"Bob Spowart" <B...@rspowart.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

I believe it's called a banjo because if you bite into it the yolk can
scoosh out and down the front of your unifrom. The resultant frantic
rubbing to clear off the mess resembles that of a demented banjo player.

Think about it.

> Bob

TQ

Feb 17, 2001, 4:39:10 AM2/17/01
Hi Bob,

Bob Spowart <B...@rspowart.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

You forgot the two black oily hand prints------one on either slice!

TQ

TQ

Feb 17, 2001, 4:40:17 AM2/17/01
Hi glyn,

Glyn Davies <glyn.d...@virgin.net> wrote in message

Sounds resonable to me LOL

TQ

Glyn Davies

Feb 17, 2001, 6:42:58 AM2/17/01

"TQ" <t...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

That's a Scotland Yard sandwich. Slightly different ;-)

> TQ

John Clark

Feb 17, 2001, 10:33:59 AM2/17/01

"TQ" <t...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

Aaahhhh!!! OMD-215, a great flavour enhancer <grin>
and the crunchie (ooopppsss, wrong word from a REME
direct adult entrant! should be grotty(spit :-ş )), bits off of your
overalls!

Jock
ex-blackie

TQ

Feb 17, 2001, 10:47:43 AM2/17/01

John Clark <john....@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
Ahha, a connosoier (is that how its spelt) personaly I prefer diesel sauce.
(Just a little acquired quirk from me 432 pack changing days)

TQ

Glyn Davies

Feb 17, 2001, 1:05:53 PM2/17/01

"TQ" <t...@freeuk.com> wrote in message

432 pack changing - pah. I blow my nose at you. The best Scotland Yard
sandwiches were aquired from changing the now defunct Leyland 650 pack
(opposed piston, compression ignition) on Chieftains up to MkV before the
Sundance 850 packs came in. Who dares do the triflex coupling when one of
them brutes has filled the hull with loverly thick goey gunge after chucking
a couple of pistons out the top against the 'tee' piece.

Only advantage to getting in there was you got your 1/2 inch -7/16 spanner
and combination tools out from under the gearbox. (previously lost doing
brake pads and other upside down jobs). And don't even think about telling
me we should have tied them to our wrists with the drawstrings from our
overalls. They had all been used, lost, caught in washing machines or
simply worn out trying to keep bloody spanners tied to our wrists.

:-)
Glyn