Diabetes and FM

1 view

J N

Aug 10, 2004, 12:11:04 AM8/10/04
I have had FM for 14 long yrs. I was reading here tonight after a very
bad FM day. I saw some post on diabetes.
I thought for a while this past yr my new symptoms just had to do with
my FM.
But turns out I have Type 2 Diabetes.
There are so many symptoms of FM. And I sure didn't want diabetes.
It is a good idea to keep a watch on your blood sugar levels. Especially
if you have a family history of diabetes or if you have a weight problem
or have gained weight with years of having FM and not being able to
exercise like you need to or be as active. I was tired enough with the
FM and lack of sleep due to so much pain. It sure didnt help getting
diabetes on top of FM.
There has been alot of discussion on Medicare paying for more than one
test per day. It is true if your dr states he or she wants you to test
more often they will pay. The company you use for your supplies has the
form letter. Why any dr wouldn't want you to test more often I don't
understand. But some have ran into that problem. I was a nurse for ten
yrs prior to a car wreck and FM. I was very interested in diabetic
teaching. Little did I know I would be facing it myself.
FM is a nightmare in itself. So please watch for signs of diabetes if
you are at an increased risk. If you have FM you sure don"t need any
other problems.
After yrs of our drs treating us for complications of FM sometimes
things and complaints get blown off or we are told it is just the FM.
I know this was OT somewhat but I had to say this.
I don't know how a dr can just see a patient twice a yr. It does depend
on different things. But for chronic and complicated illnesses such as
ours I think we need to be seen at least every three months. I have to
see the pain dr every two months. It is his policy. So many problems
arise with FM. As far as someone with diabetes and this I just my own
opinion they need to be seen every three months. As far as testing
supplies if you make one mistake testing such as not enough blood on the
strip then you don't have enough supplies to redo it. And on days you
get sick with an infection or such
you can really get in trouble. Seems we have to fight more and more for
anything we need.
I wish you all the best with treating your FM and all the problems that
go along with it. And those with diabetes make the dr give you what you
need. Once the damage is done there is no going back.
Janice

BMoss69893

Aug 10, 2004, 5:14:31 PM8/10/04
>So please watch for signs of diabetes if
>you are at an increased risk. If you have FM you sure don"t need any
>other problems.

The only risk I had was being over weight - obese? I test 2 times a day and
Medicare and other insurance takes care of it. I get mine from Liberty Medical.
I have to pay maybe under $10.00 on the 3 month shipment. Betty.

Squirrely

Aug 13, 2004, 6:04:18 AM8/13/04
I am sorry Janice that you have to suffer with the fm and diabetes too. I
hope you get some help with all this.

You take care.

--
Love and hugs to all
Good thoughts coming your way too.

Squirrely Jo

"J N" <Angelo...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Gloria Lenon

Aug 14, 2004, 3:11:12 PM8/14/04
Jo, you are not alone in this - I have diabetes type II and fibro - now they
are looking at my heart! Can't a girl get any rest? Speaking of rest, we
boarded up our house and took everything in off the lanai and yard, we were
under a mandatory evac - piled the dog, two iguanas, a tortoise, our
emergency papers and clothes, valuables, lots of water and food, campstove,
etc. etc. and went to stay with friends. And baruch HaShem! we were
untouched by the storm.
South of us they weren't so lucky. Pray for those people hit by the
hurricane. I know, I'm ramblin' - that's just the kind of mood I'm in!.

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Squirrely

Aug 15, 2004, 1:29:22 PM8/15/04
Oh Gloria,

This send chills up my spine. I hate to see anyone go thru this at all. I
mean its like we already have enough other stuff to deal with without others
being added on.

I am glad you made it thru that hurricane and twisters going on back there.
That is a blessing.

--

"Gloria Lenon" <gle...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message