WATERBEDS ANYONE USE THEM?

Pog Ma Thon 3

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
Are they better for FMS sufferers than the conventional type?
On one had, they're heated so that sounds like it would help.

OTOH they're filled with water which I wonder could aggravate my arthritis?
Are they a Pain in the A to take care of?
I am leaning towards a waterbed. I would really appreciate any feedback soon
because the one I have is real old and too painful to sleep on and I can't take
it anymore.

email me if ya like! THANKS!

James Mondro

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
I have had one for 4 1/2 years and it's wonderful. The heat really helps
when my back is sore, or my legs, or anything else. Jim

Fibromyalgia & Chronic pain
http://fibromyalgia.8m.com/

"Pog Ma Thon 3" <pogma...@aol.com> wrote in message

daHound

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
On 26 Nov 2000 10:56:38 GMT, pogma...@aol.com (Pog Ma Thon 3) wrote:

>OTOH they're filled with water which I wonder could aggravate my arthritis?
>Are they a Pain in the A to take care of?

We have used one for years and would not go any other way. Unless you
like the "motion of the ocean" though, be sure to get a waveless, dual
mattress model. That way, one sleeper does not disturb the other. Ours
is also what is known as a soft sided, so there is no wood edge to cut
into your legs when you sit on the edge. A dual mattress gives you the
advantage of dual heaters to suite each sleepers needs.
Maintenance is very simple. Every year, stop at WalMart and get 2
bottles of Waterbed conditioner. They are 96 cents each. pour one
bottle into each side and you're good for another year.
DO NOT buy the conditioner at the waterbed store. They charge up to
15 times what WalMart charges, and it is the same stuff.

To Reply, remove the NOSPAM from my email.

J Wootton

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
my e-mail to you bounced back.
... while talking to air-yd05.mail.aol.com.:
>>> RCPT To:<pogma...@aol.com>
<<< 550 pogmathon3 IS NOT ACCEPTING MAIL FROM THIS SENDER
550 <pogma...@aol.com>... User unknown

Pog Ma Thon 3 wrote:

> Are they better for FMS sufferers than the conventional type?
> On one had, they're heated so that sounds like it would help.
>

> OTOH they're filled with water which I wonder could aggravate my arthritis?
> Are they a Pain in the A to take care of?

Delta

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
I agree totally! We have had a waterbed for 7+ years. No big deal as far as
upkeep goes. Just as daHound said, Walmart conditions is A#1 and no need to buy
the more expensive stuff it is the same thing. We have talked about getting a
new bed only because we have the wood sides and sometimes it is tough getting
out of because of pain. When we buy a new one it will be a soft side. We had a
soft side at one time, but got rid of it when we moved into an upstairs apt. I
highly recommend waterbeds from a personal perspective, they are a need not a
want in my book.
Delta
PS nothing soaks into a waterbed mattress, and stains it.

daHound wrote:

> On 26 Nov 2000 10:56:38 GMT, pogma...@aol.com (Pog Ma Thon 3) wrote:
>

> >OTOH they're filled with water which I wonder could aggravate my arthritis?
> >Are they a Pain in the A to take care of?

Romana

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00

I have had a waterbed for years now. When I told one of my doctors
that I was sleeping on a water bed she told me to get rid of it. She
said she would rather see me sleeping on the floor. The problem with
waterbeds is they don't give the right kind of support. That is
according to my doctor anyhow. From what I see here that is not
everyone's experience. Personally I do have problems sleeping on a
waterbed. I fouond that it was more comfortable if I pile on several
layers of blankets to sleep on. For some reason it has made all the
difference in the world. I think that if you get a waveless, as some
have mentioned. it may have more support. Also there are waterbeds
that have regular mattress surfaces. I had one at one time, it is
called a Soma. Actually there are two kinds. One kind has just one
big water filled container with a matteress cover (soft sider) and the
soma has tubes of water in it. The nice thing about the tubes is you
can have the one side of the bed firmer then the other side. Well, I
think I have talked your ear off enough.

Romana

On 26 Nov 2000 10:56:38 GMT, pogma...@aol.com (Pog Ma Thon 3) wrote:

>Are they better for FMS sufferers than the conventional type?
>On one had, they're heated so that sounds like it would help.
>

>OTOH they're filled with water which I wonder could aggravate my arthritis?
>Are they a Pain in the A to take care of?

>I am leaning towards a waterbed. I would really appreciate any feedback soon
>because the one I have is real old and too painful to sleep on and I can't take
>it anymore.
>
>email me if ya like! THANKS!

Sammie4422

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
>?
>From: J Wootton <jwoo...@home.com>
>Date: Sun, Nov 26, 2000 10:49 EST

>my e-mail to you bounced back.

I WONDER WHY???????????????????

Sammie
Queenie of Thingies

J Wootton

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
Sammie4422 wrote:

> >?
> >From: J Wootton <jwoo...@home.com>
> >Date: Sun, Nov 26, 2000 10:49 EST
> >
> >my e-mail to you bounced back.
>
> I WONDER WHY???????????????????

dunno..she did say "e-mail me" and didn't say except XXXXX persons. ;)

Joanna

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
I have one and wouldn't give it up for no money in the world. Hubby's aunt has
stayed with us on occasion and she has really bad arthritis she says she loves our
bed. I don't have arthritis but I have fibro and when I'm hurting I can go to bed
and it is better in the morning. There really is no maintenance to a water bed.
Once a year you add some blue stuff to the water. That's it. They can be a pain to
set up. I have two sets of drawers under mine so it is quite high compared to a
normal bed. Maybe the place you buy from would be willing to set it up. Don't
expect to sleep in it for the first couple of nights. It is tough for people to get
the temperature set properly to where everyone likes it. I set mine at 31. Everyone
is different. When I was younger it was always set at 28. And trust me a couple of
degrees is a big difference. You can also get waterbeds that are wave less, so they
are little more stable. I've had just the plain bladder and no I have a fiberfill
that is considered 50% wave less. I did try a convention bed for a few months
inbetween moves and I was always sore and achy. I dread if we have to go somewhere
over night. So I hope this helps.
Take Care
Joanna

VLH

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
I've had a waterbed since 1976 and wouldn't consider anything else. I
have arthritis besides FM and the warmth really helps both. When I
sleep on a regular bed I notice more stiffness that I normally have.

On 26 Nov 2000 10:56:38 GMT, pogma...@aol.com (Pog Ma Thon 3)

brilliantly authored :

--

Victoria Lee Hirt
Marriage is a partnership, not a dictatorship.

Lane Browning

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
I've slept on a waterbed since 1972. I love them. My eight year-old has
one also.

Daddio

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
It all depends upon your sleep position. I slept on a waterbed for years. I
mainly slept on my stomach or side. I had one of the semi waveless kinds which was
excelsior inside the bladder. The excelsior simply kept the bladder from moving
all of the time. I switched matresses twice since then, and have not slept as
well. I had never been able to sleep on my back because of apnea (I would quit
breathing). I got a breathing machine (CPAP) and learned to sleep on my back. I
really believe I would sleep ten times better on my back if I had my old waterbed
back. On a firm mattress like I have now, sleeping on my back aggravates my pain,
so I have pretty much abandoned the CPAP and have gone back to sleeping on my
stomach or side. That is bad because I also have MPS, and sleeping on my side
makes my neck hurt so bad I can hardly get up in the morning. I would definitely
say that a waterbed would be my choice for the best sleep.
:)> Daddio

Find HealthSites

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
I used to own an interior design store and I am very well versed in mattresses.
Keep in mind that most companies use the same guts by a company called Leggett
and Platt and they are average by my standards. I personally will not use
spring mattresses. An advanced chiropractor turned me on to latex foam
mattresses. Latex foam he said will actually conform to the body which will
allow fluids to be replenished while you sleep. This replenishing of fluids
while you sleep is a healing period. Without this healing there is excelled
aging and brittleness of joints.

You can ask most mattresses to custom order a latex foam mattress for you;
unfortunately, they are very expensive.
I ordered my mattress from a company in Atlanta called The Origional Mattress
Factory. I paid around $800 for a queen size. If you buy one from a name
brand Co. like Sealy then you can expect to pay double that. I would suggest
that you look up wholesale mattresses in your city in your yellow pages. If
you can actually reach a small manufacturer, then ask them if they sell to
interior designers. Tell them that you are a designer and that you will pay
them cash. You might get lucky and get a company to sell to you at wholesale.

Wholesale from the top 5 mattress companies will be around $1600 on a queen
size set. You need to find a small company that makes their own if you want to
find a set that is reasonable.

I would highly suggest a pillow that totally eliminated my neck pain. I got
this pillow from one of my chiropractors. The pillow is out of latex foam and
it conforms to the curves of the neck. Each side of the pillow has a bulge on
the end that goes under the neck. Here is the information from my pillow tag:

Tri-core gentle support product #220
Core Products, International
Osceola, WI 54020
Most good chiropractors will carry these.

ter...@brunnet.net

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00

I had a waterbed in the early to mid-80's, after hearing that they
might be good for my back and legs (pain and spasticity). As it turns
out, a waterbed was the worst thing for me. I have a pronounced curve
(scoliosis), which is related to cerebral palsy and abnormal posturing.
That space in my back essentially had no place to rest, and I always
woke up stiff and sore. Some people, without the pre-existing condition
of the type I have, swear by water beds.

I got an adjustable bed with massage back in 1996 and it's great. I
hope to get a heated mattress cover as a little prezzie for myself very
soon :) Lambs wool :)

For me, a flat bed was a nightmare, with my minimal muscle tone for
pulling myself up or rolling over. In the adjustable bed, with the head
and foot elevated, I don't feel so much like a beached whale. The
massage feature, set on low, is nice as well.

Cheers!

Carla
http://www.brunnet.net/terrier

In article <pU8U5.5353$eU.3...@bgtnsc07-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

"James Mondro" <jmo...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> I have had one for 4 1/2 years and it's wonderful. The heat really
helps
> when my back is sore, or my legs, or anything else. Jim
>
> Fibromyalgia & Chronic pain
> http://fibromyalgia.8m.com/
>

> "Pog Ma Thon 3" <pogma...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > Are they better for FMS sufferers than the conventional type?
> > On one had, they're heated so that sounds like it would help.
> >
> > OTOH they're filled with water which I wonder could aggravate my
> arthritis?
> > Are they a Pain in the A to take care of?
> > I am leaning towards a waterbed. I would really appreciate any
feedback
> soon
> > because the one I have is real old and too painful to sleep on and I
can't
> take
> > it anymore.
> >
> > email me if ya like! THANKS!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Maureen in Mukilteo

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
<Pog Ma Thon>
But I hardly know you!!!! <grin>

Love you name! Irish I presume?

Maureen in Mukilteo

"Pog Ma Thon 3" <pogma...@aol.com> wrote:
> Thank you all for your feedback! And I am sorry about the mail bouncing, i
have
> since fixed the problem.
> I went out looking at conventional mattresses tonight. We used to have a
lot
> of California Sleep Shops in this area, and they sold waterbeds. They seem
> have gone out of business and I'm having trouble findig someplace that
sells
> waterbeds, but after reading all your posts I will make a point to.
> I DID find one amazing conventional mattress that had a Swedish Foam
Pillow
> top. And you are right. It's been a while since I went mattress shopping
18
> years!) And I was bowled over by the prices!

Pog Ma Thon 3

Nov 28, 2000, 12:05:47 AM11/28/00
Thank you all for your feedback! And I am sorry about the mail bouncing, i have
since fixed the problem.
I went out looking at conventional mattresses tonight. We used to have a lot
of California Sleep Shops in this area, and they sold waterbeds. They seem to
have gone out of business and I'm having trouble findig someplace that sells
waterbeds, but after reading all your posts I will make a point to.
I DID find one amazing conventional mattress that had a Swedish Foam Pillow
top. And you are right. It's been a while since I went mattress shopping ( 18

Pog Ma Thon 3

Nov 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/28/00
ROFL yes Maureen.

Erica M.

Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
I see Steve has a new addy...Whatcha think Maureen? Doesn't this all sound
familiar, right down to the tag # on the pillow??!!!

little bunny foo-foo

In article <20001127095531...@ng-ma1.aol.com>,

<<
Subject: Re: WATERBEDS ANYONE USE THEM?
From: findhea...@aol.com (Find HealthSites)
Date: 27 Nov 2000 14:55:31 GMT

Katroberts

Dec 1, 2000, 7:30:59 PM12/1/00
>I see Steve has a new addy...Whatcha think Maureen? Doesn't this all sound
familiar, right down to the tag # on the pillow??!!!<

Thanks for pointing that out. He just doesn't stop, doesn't he?

Kathy in Sacto

Thumper

Dec 1, 2000, 9:19:35 PM12/1/00
On 01 Dec 2000 22:31:33 GMT, pipk...@aol.com (Erica M.) wrote:

>I see Steve has a new addy...Whatcha think Maureen? Doesn't this all sound
>familiar, right down to the tag # on the pillow??!!!

I'm sure he does. The phrase "advanced chiropractor" and pushing latex
foam are what made me think so... Cripes, he can't even cough up new
terminology when he's faking it.

Thumper
http://www.ma-wired.com
http://www.jps.net/thmprwrx/fibrom.htm - FMS Info

Freyja

Dec 1, 2000, 9:40:33 PM12/1/00

"Thumper" <thmp...@jps.net> wrote in message

| On 01 Dec 2000 22:31:33 GMT, pipk...@aol.com (Erica M.) wrote:
|
| >I see Steve has a new addy...Whatcha think Maureen? Doesn't this
all sound
| >familiar, right down to the tag # on the pillow??!!!
|
| I'm sure he does. The phrase "advanced chiropractor" and pushing
latex
| foam are what made me think so... Cripes, he can't even cough up new
| terminology when he's faking it.

Well, he just has to have this account taken out, too. We can do
this. Someday AOL will give up on him.

--
Freyja
(de-spam e-mail addy)

Alex Barna

Dec 1, 2000, 10:14:17 PM12/1/00
Hi Erica,
Check the header. Two different places. Can't be him.

GramPaHugs,
Alex,

From: findhea...@aol.com (Find HealthSites)

From: trea...@aol.com (TreatFMS)

"Erica M." wrote:

> I see Steve has a new addy...Whatcha think Maureen? Doesn't this all sound
> familiar, right down to the tag # on the pillow??!!!
>

> little bunny foo-foo

<SNIPPED> :)

--

Any information is included for informational
or entertainment purposes only,

* Love radiating from 45.10n x 93.30w M/SP Mn
* Care giver to THE SACRED TEMPLE CATS
* Medical,Genealogy,Cat - Links - HearMe Voice Chat
* <a href="http://home.mn.rr.com/apbiii">AOL Click</a>
* Don't worry about life,
* you're not going to survive it anyway

Erica M.

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
Hey Alex - yep, it's him. He admitted it in a post. Said he will be using it
from now on. Guess we finally got him bounced from AOL, temporarily anyway.

gentle bunny hugs, erica
little bunny foo-foo
Royal Bunny of Field-mice 'haid boppin'
Royal Order of W.H.I.N.E.

In article <3A28690A...@mn.rr.com>, Alex Barna <ABA...@mn.rr.com> wrote:

<<

From: Alex Barna <ABA...@mn.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 03:14:17 GMT

<SNIPPED> :)

--

* <A HREF="http://home.mn.rr.com/apbiii">AOL Click</A>

Maureen in Mukilteo

Dec 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/2/00
<Guess we finally got him bounced from AOL, temporarily anyway>

I wish. "FindhealthSites" is an AOL account too.

If he does get bounced from AOL it will not be the result of anything we do.
He forged Laura's name on a commercial post and then reported her to AOL for
spamming. Laura temporarily lost her AOL account because of him.

But once Laura sent AOL the original commercial post it was obvious what
Podhouser had done. Laura's account was reinstated and I imagine they were
quite upset with Podhouser. That little lie might cost him his account.

Maureen in Mukilteo

"Erica M." <pipk...@aol.com> wrote

> Hey Alex - yep, it's him. He admitted it in a post. Said he will be using
it
> from now on. Guess we finally got him bounced from AOL, temporarily
anyway.

> gentle bunny hugs, erica
> little bunny foo-foo
> Royal Bunny of Field-mice 'haid boppin'
> Royal Order of W.H.I.N.E.
>
> In article <3A28690A...@mn.rr.com>, Alex Barna <ABA...@mn.rr.com>
wrote:

> <<
> Subject: Re: WATERBEDS ANYONE USE THEM?
> From: Alex Barna <ABA...@mn.rr.com>
> Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 03:14:17 GMT
>

> * <A HREF="http://home.mn.rr.com/apbiii">AOL Click</A>

Rozanna76

Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00
Hello, my name is Diane and I am new here. I have Fibromyalgia and Hypothroid,
I just recently changed from a kingsize pillow top to a kingsize floatation
water bed
the warmth definatly helps, I believe I sleep somewhat better, the only problem
I have is getting out of it. My husband is going to make an alteration to raise
the mattress without having to add more water. I let you know how that works.
roza...@aol.com

Freyja

Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00
Oh, yeah. We do have to get out of bed sometimes.

Darn. Hate that sometimes.

I can't do waterbeds. Three cats. 'Nuff said. >^^< (Pixel! Stop
trying to eat my flowers! Off the keyboard!)

--
Freyja (de-spam e-mail)
Queen of the Sim City Realm, Royal Order of W.H.I.N.E

"Rozanna76" <roza...@aol.com> wrote in message