Mattress type...any recommendations?

jay...@ix.netcom.com

Feb 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/14/98

Hi, I'm new to this newsgroup. Sorry if I may be repeating an old thread.

I am considering investing in a new mattress, maybe a water or air type. I
wonder if any one has discovered a corralation between certain types of
mattresses and morning stiffness?

Thanks,
Tammy
jay...@ix.netcom.com

Dot M

Feb 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/14/98

JackiBoone

Feb 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/15/98

i also have fms; about help with finding a matress - Penny's has a water
matress pad in the current catalog - i think it is great and much cheaper than
a whole matress - it is somewhat difficult to find it is with the other pads
and is a very small paragraph in a corner - hope this helps Jackie

Martial Artists Wired

Feb 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/15/98

I learned the hard way this week that at least for me what I sleep on makes a
difference in how stiff I feel in the morning. My husband was snoring like a
freight train the other night so I went into the spare bedroom to sleep--on a
hard twin bed, damn I felt it the next day.

Normally we sleep on a water bed, and we have a mostly motionless Hibernation
Series mattress. I wouldn't trade this for anything, mostly because it's
heated. If I *had* to though, I plopped down on a King Sized Simmons Beauty
Rest mattress a couple months ago and it was great--just about as comfortable
as my water bed.

Thumper

BDEklof

Feb 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/15/98

>>Normally we sleep on a water bed, and we have a mostly motionless
HibernationSeries mattress. I wouldn't trade this for anything, mostly because
it'sheated. If I *had* to though, I plopped down on a King Sized Simmons
BeautyRest mattress a couple months ago and it was great--just about as

comfortable
as my water bed. Thumper<<

Hello All!
We've tried a regular water bed, a Soma water bed, a
Select Comfort adjustable air mattress, and went back to
the Simmons BeautyRest. Watchout tho for the soft-top,
might be better to get a wool stuffed top than a poly top,
as the poly ones seem to mat down and leave body
impressions. Still, I think they are the greatest made!
Good luck shopping!
Deb in WI.

Crazy Lady

Feb 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/15/98

Tammy,
I sleep on a soft sided waterbed, and wouldn't trade it in for nothing...it
looks like a regular mattress but inside wher the springs would normally be
there is a water bed mattress. the water mattress has extra foam support in
the back area, and the top of the mattress is quilted. It has relieved that
morning stiffness alot.
Crazy Lady

Lesley

Feb 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/15/98

On Sat, 14 Feb 1998 21:21:21 -0600, jay...@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>Hi, I'm new to this newsgroup. Sorry if I may be repeating an old thread.
>
>I am considering investing in a new mattress, maybe a water or air type. I
>wonder if any one has discovered a corralation between certain types of
>mattresses and morning stiffness?
>
>Thanks,
>Tammy
>jay...@ix.netcom.com

>http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

When I have funds enough I plan to look into purchasing a Scandanavian
slat type bed. The slats provide firm support but move and give
enough to be comfortable. Dancers reportedly purchase this type of
bed. One name is Lattoflex

Dot M

Feb 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/15/98

I slept on a waterbed w/o heat one time, and remember still, the awful
pain i woke up in. Also, one must consider how to get out of them.
Crazy lady's softsided one might be an answer. The others are very
difficult for a healthy person to climb out of. Has anyone noticed a
increase in electric bills, to bring the temperature up to a comfortable
level? Dot

LindaML12

Feb 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/16/98

>I sleep on a soft sided waterbed, and wouldn't trade it in for nothing...it
>looks like a regular mattress but inside wher the springs would normally be
>there is a water bed mattress. the water mattress has extra foam support in
>the back area, and the top of the mattress is quilted. It has relieved that
>morning stiffness alot.

My husband and I slept on a waterbed for about 16 years. But, even with it
well filled, it didn't give us the back support that we needed. After my car
accident, the waterbed just seemed to make my spine twist more. As our income
is limited, we purchased a replacement mattress for our waterbed frame. Its a
firm mattress, and so we put egg crate foam on it. My Dr. said change the foam
every 6 mo. to year as it wears out. It seems to provide the support we need
with the cushion I need for my hips.
Good luck,
Linda

Crazy Lady

Feb 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/16/98

Dot M wrote:

Dot, yes the soft sides make it just like a regular mattress so getting in
and out isn't difficult (the old wood frame type was impossible for me to
get out of on a bad day, Kept telling my hubby we'd have to install a
crane!) I didn't notice any increase in electric bill what you need to
remember is the heater only stays running constantly when you first fill the
bed, then just like your furnace it only kicks on when the temp. drops. If
you keep a blanket covering the bed then the temp. doesn't fluctuate much at
all. I had to play around with the temp. before I found what worked for me,
I leave it at 85 during the winter and drop it down to 80 during the summer.
The other trick to picking out a waterbed is knowing what kind of support
you need, they come in everything from extra squishy to extra firm now.
I too will never forget waking up in the morning to a power outage and an
ice cold bed, fortunately that doesn't happen too often...
Crazy Lady

Aris2chat

Feb 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/16/98

When I visit my mother, who has a water bed, I sleep on the floor. The
plastic makes me sweat and the thing is imposible to get out of quickly or
easily. It sags and bends causes more back pain and the slosh of turning or
moving is worse then a boat. A feather bed to put on a regular firm mattress
is far more comfortable. The eggcrate mattress pads are pretty good too.
(\ ~ /) Liz "Dutchess"
( \O/ ) Aris2chat's Home Page
/, ,\ http://members.aol.com/Aris2chat/index.html
/ \ "Angels take themselves lightly,
~~~~~ that's why they have wings"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The deepest joy is felt by those who know what pain is, too~
And I belong in this large group and so do most of you
_"Cheerful Cherub"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JAdams4871

Feb 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/16/98

Has anyone tried a floatation bed. It is like a regular bed, and you use
regular sheets. It is on a platform and has a regular quilted mattress. The
only difference is it has a bladder zipped inside that has about 5 inches of
water in it. You don't need a heater, because of the mattress zipped on top. It
is waveless and the best sleep I have ever had. We bought ours 7 years ago and
it came with a 10 year guarntee. I can't sleep anywhere else, and it keeps my
arms from falling asleep. Some hotels have them if you call around and want to
try one. To me it is worth it...Stay Warm...Regards...Paula

sque

Feb 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/16/98

I changed from a very firm bed to a waterbed and It has helped alot. The
heat also has helped me. Im not as stiff in the morning. I still have a
problem walking when i first get up, but the stiffness is much better.
sque in ga

Lesley wrote in article <34e77aa6...@news.together.net>...

Rabbit

Feb 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/16/98

So which type of waterbed do you prefer; the squishy or firm ones?

Martial Artists Wired

Feb 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/16/98

Heh try climbing into a waterbed the night after the power has come back on
after a major blizzard and ice storm that knocked the power out for a week. You
would think that with ice floating in the toilets we would have just KNOWN the
bed was going to be cold but noooooooooo.... we had POWER! We were gonna sleep
in our own BEDS and not on the absement floor! We were idiots!!!!

It's just something for people living in cold climates to consider before making
the jump to that nice, comfortable heated waterbed. Power outages happen...

But... when we lived off base, having 2 waterbeds heated didn't really add
anything to our electric bill either, if that's a consideration to anyone.

Thumper

Crazy Lady

Feb 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/17/98

rabbit, this is kind of hard to explain, but hope this makes sense...i
have arthritis in my spine from an extra vertabrae in the lumbar area,
so i need firm support there. but the rest of me is sore as all hell
and i find being on something softer helps relieve the achiness and
tender spots. the extra foam support thats inside my waterbed
mattress is built up thicker in the lumbar area and less throughout the
rest of the bed so i get my firm and squishy all in one. plus the heater
makes this all that much better.... does that make any sense, i hope so.

crazy lady
baby in arms can't cap, sorry....

Catmichael

Feb 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/17/98

Lesley,

I shopped around for a new bed, but I couldn't afford anything that felt good.
So...I made up my own bed. I already owned a good orthopedic mattress and box
spring so I had a good support.

Here's what I did. First, I bought a nice feather bed. Then, I bought two egg
crate toppers. I put the two toppers on top of my mattress and placed the
feather bed on top of them. I use an electic blanket that I turn on high about
30 to 45 minutes before going to bed. By the time I lay down on that feather
bed, it's so warm and soft that I feel like I'm floating on a cloud in the
Carribean. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

If you're on a limited income, try making your own "wonder bed." You might be
surprised at how good it will be.

Good luck...

>Lesley wrote:

>Hi, I'm new to this newsgroup. Sorry if I may be repeating an
> old thread. I am considering investing in a new mattress, > maybe a water
or air type. I wonder if any one has discovered > a corralation between
certain types of mattresses and morning > stiffness?

Carol in Atlanta

We all live in suspense, from day to day, from hour to hour; in other words, we
are the hero of our own story...Mary McCarthy

RickMo3

Feb 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/17/98

<<By the time I lay down on that feather
bed, it's so warm and soft that I feel like I'm floating on a cloud in the
Carribean. >>

Oh that just sounds like heaven--wish so hard I wasn't allergic to feathers...

******Half Full, Half M.T.******
Moe

NOWitch

Feb 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/17/98

We just got rid of the waterbed. It was just too painful getting in and out
of...it had a rather high platform and wooden sides...also, I needed something
to sit on to get shoes and socks etc on. We bought an adjustable comfort air
mattress with dual contols. At first, I had a hard time adjusting it,
but now I have it perfect, and it is much better than my water bed was. I
tried some of the soft side water beds, but had a really hard time getting out
of them once I was in...I do not have that trouble with this one.

Laurie

Laurie Broussard

Aris2chat

Feb 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/17/98

Feathers do make the best feather beds but you can get good results with a
thick comfiter as well.

kir...@sympatico.ca

Feb 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/17/98

I also got rid of my waterbed a few years ago. I had a 10" foam
mattress made to fit the waterbed frame. My hips have thanked me
for it! Anytime I sleep on another bed, especially hotel beds, my
hips kill me.
Valerie

ANITA PICKERING

Feb 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/17/98

Tammy, I have an air mattress with a heating mattress pad and it works
for me after years of no sleep I can get about 4 to 5 most nites
now...Good luck!!

May Angels Watch Over You,
Love Anita

SuperJenna

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

In article <6c5mvi$iie$1...@nnrp2.dejanews.com>, jay...@ix.netcom.com
says...

> Hi, I'm new to this newsgroup. Sorry if I may be repeating an old thread.
>
> I am considering investing in a new mattress, maybe a water or air type. I
> wonder if any one has discovered a corralation between certain types of
> mattresses and morning stiffness?

If I sleep on a "normal" bed - spring bed and box spring - I wake in
excruciating pain. This has happened to me since I was 16, and I have
tried a number of alternatives since then.
A good, thick futon works best for me. A layer of eggshell foam is nice,
although it isn't enough to make a "regular" bed comfortable for me. I
slept on a plain foam mattress for several months while in Latin America
and I don't recommend the experience.
By the way, putting a spring mattress on the floor works much better for
me than one on a box spring for some reason. You might try this as a
temporary fix if you can't afford a new bed right away.
I have never tried a waterbed. Anyone out there have comments on
waterbeds?
Currently, I sleep on a 7" futon, which I regularly fluff, and a feather
bed on top of the futon for extra softness and warmth.

-SuperJenna

Rockin Robyn

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

I had to switch from a waterbed . I took a week or so to get used to the
new bed, but now I feel so much better. Mine is a semi firm mattress with a
pillow top. I also use a body pillow to support my body. I had to play
around with different positions to find what worked for me, but I can't
sleep without it now. Most high quality furniture stores will offer a 30 or
90 day guarantee that you can return it if you can't sleep on the bed. Good
luck,

Traci

Appleheadq wrote in message
<19980219031...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...
>I have semiwaveless waterbed and wake up in severe pain almost every day.
If
>the choice is between firm waterbed or regular firm mattress, which is
better?
>any recommendations would be appreciated

Dot M

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

Applehead, we've had a lot of votes for waterbeds, however, my
experience was the same as yours, and i couldn't get rid of it fast
enough. I shopping now and have read all the post, the most it seems,
are for soft, and what makes the most sense to me is the really good
supportive mattress with a pillow top and if we can't afford that to
use, those foams tops, or sheepskin or feather mattress tops. And don't
forget the electric mattress pad.
Anyway that's what i got out of it and i'm grateful for everyone's
input.
I don't know how to use dejanews but if you do, there should be a lot of
stuff in there regarding beds. Dot

Appleheadq

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

nanny

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

I wish I knew for sure, before I invest in an expensive mattress set.
We've had a waterbed for years, but I still wake up stiff and in pain;
thought it came with the territory. Then, in a motel, slept on a Simmons
Beautyrest, king-size, firm, and loved it - gave me the support the
waterbed didn't, I guess. IF we change over from a waterbed, will
probably try the Beautyrest or maybe one of those foam (egg-shell) covers
some of you have mentioned. Sweet dreams, Nanny

Appleheadq <apple...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19980219031...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

Your Name Here

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

Hi Appleheadq;

I now believe that I'm an expert on mattresses. I was also told to get a
firm mattress to support my back. After exhausing searches for a
comfortable bed and sending "4" back to the stores because
they were all too firm (and actually hurt to lay on) I found that the
pillowtop ones are the best. They just cradle all the sore spots and it's
like laying on a cloud. I also have myself a deluxe air mattress with an
eggcrate foam mattress pad on it for when my aches and pains are too
uncomfortable to even lay down on. Also you can make the air mattress any
firmness you want. There really is nothing like sleeping on air, but believe
me you do not want a firm mattress. If you think you don't sleep now, just
try and fall asleep on one of those. I think FMS also has the "Princess and
the pea" syndrome. :- )
Hope this helps and good luck!

Cheri (from Wisconsin)

cat

Feb 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/20/98

I slept on my first waterbed in 1974 ... In 1983..I switched to a
waveless mattress and I really miss it. It was a pedestal type..with
the under bed drawers...I rolled out of bed...Well, my ex has it..and
now I'm sleeping on a futon with 2 mattresses..and every morning I
wake up stiff and sore...it takes 20 minutes or more...just to get out
of bed...DH now promises a waveless waterbad as soon as we can afford
it..I think I'll be in bed for a week..SLEEPING....when we do get it!!
LOL

gentle hugs

Cat

Michael S. McCollum

Feb 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/21/98

Katie writes:

> I have semiwaveless waterbed and wake up in severe pain almost every day. If
> the choice is between firm waterbed or regular firm mattress, which is better?
> any recommendations would be appreciated

Is there any chance that perhaps you've filled the mattress too full?
We did that once. I was in agony. Besides the fact that it was too hard
for me, I also shared it with my husband, and when he would get into bed
I felt like I was sleeping on top of hill just about ready to roll off.
I could never get comfortable. Finally, in desperation, we let some of
the water out and it was never a problem again and I didn't wake up with
the agonizing backaches anymore. At least, not from the bed. Hope that
helps.

Deb Ericson

Feb 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/21/98

Hi all! Just want to add my opinion on mattresses. I have a waterbed and
the mattress I chose is fantastic!! I lost everything in the spring
flooding here in North Dakota in April of 97. My old waterbed was a full
motion and I was having great difficulty getting out of it. When I shopped
for my new bed the sales man let me try out a couple. I am very happy with
the new one. It's not a soft-side but a mattress that is in between the
full motion and no motion. The guy that sold it to me - believe it or not -
has a sister and his wife both have FM. It has two sections to it and now I
can roll over and get out of it easily. Hope this helps. Smiles across
cyberspace miles - Deb

nanny <dorl...@mail.tds.net> wrote in article
<01bd3cf1$768d5280$aa4a89d0@dorlchas>...

> I wish I knew for sure, before I invest in an expensive mattress set.
> We've had a waterbed for years, but I still wake up stiff and in pain;
> thought it came with the territory. Then, in a motel, slept on a Simmons
> Beautyrest, king-size, firm, and loved it - gave me the support the
> waterbed didn't, I guess. IF we change over from a waterbed, will
> probably try the Beautyrest or maybe one of those foam (egg-shell) covers
> some of you have mentioned. Sweet dreams, Nanny
>
> Appleheadq <apple...@aol.com> wrote in article
> <19980219031...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

Deb Ericson

Feb 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/22/98

Hi all! Just want to add to the mattress discussion. When I lost all my
possessions in the flood of 1997, I had a full motion waterbed. I had
started having trouble getting out of it though. When FEMA gave me my money
to start over, I was lucky and found a salesman whose wife had fm. He let
me try all the beds in the store (I told him to turn his back while I got
off & on, I know how silly I look with the stiffness) and then he had me
try the one his wife bought. It's a low motion waterbed - still has the
pedestal, and I can't believe how good that bed is! It has the eggshell
built right into the mattress and it has two sections, allowing better
firmness but still cradles those muscles that are screaming! He also
recommended the velvet rails for easier getting out. I am so grateful to
him I can't even express it! Hope this helps someone! Smiles across the
miles - Deb

cat <petl...@unforgettable.com> wrote in article
<34ed066a...@news.dzn.com>...