Google Gruppi non supporta più i nuovi post o le nuove iscrizioni Usenet. I contenuti storici continuano a essere visibili.

Piece of the Roman Colosseum

312 visualizzazioni
Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

B.J.

da leggere,
7 giu 2002, 14:57:0807/06/02
Hello all,

I know someone who owns a chunk (about the size of a brick) of the great
Roman Colosseum. It is made of some white material, perhaps marble, and is
sculpted on one side. They're interested in selling it.

Does anyone have any idea if such an artifact is legal to sell on eBay? If
so, how much would such a thing be worth?

Thanks,
Benjamin

Bernie

da leggere,
7 giu 2002, 15:57:5907/06/02
"B.J." <bj...@we-r4u.com> wrote in message

Now when you say "owns" do you mean they have the title to it or just have
the piece in their possession? I suspect the latter as I can't see the
Italians allowing something like that to be sold off in brick size pieces.
Assuming that is the case then what does the seller have to sell?

Kris Baker

da leggere,
7 giu 2002, 15:56:0907/06/02

B.J. wrote in message ...

It might be illegal to possess, and what proof does he have that it's
authentic? I'd send it back to the gladiators.

Kris

B.J.

da leggere,
7 giu 2002, 16:07:4407/06/02

"Bernie" <nospam_ber...@email.com> wrote in message

This is how it happened: The owner's father was on vacation in Italy back in
the 60s and smuggled this piece out of the country back to the USA!
(Obviously, at that time it was illegal for anyone to take pieces of the
buildings.)

So, no, there is no title. The only thing to sell is the piece itself.

Thanks!

Kris Baker

da leggere,
7 giu 2002, 16:22:5007/06/02

B.J. wrote in message ...

>This is how it happened: The owner's father was on vacation in Italy back

in
>the 60s and smuggled this piece out of the country back to the USA!
>(Obviously, at that time it was illegal for anyone to take pieces of the
>buildings.)
>
>So, no, there is no title. The only thing to sell is the piece itself.
>
>Thanks!

Then it's absolutely *worthless* -- doesn't your friend understand
that?

The only way he can claim authenticity is to admit that it was illegally
stolen and taken out of Italy. Possession of such artifacts was (and
still is) illegal -- and international law supports that.

There is NO legal way one could own that piece of the Colisseum.

Kris

Dave Busch

da leggere,
7 giu 2002, 16:29:2407/06/02
My followup to this message from "B.J." <bj...@we-r4u.com> shows that
I have caved in and started bottom-posting, except when I forget:

>"Bernie" <nospam_ber...@email.com> wrote in message
>> "B.J." <bj...@we-r4u.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello all,
>> >
>> > I know someone who owns a chunk (about the size of a brick) of the great
>> > Roman Colosseum. It is made of some white material, perhaps marble, and
>is
>> > sculpted on one side. They're interested in selling it.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any idea if such an artifact is legal to sell on eBay?
>If
>> > so, how much would such a thing be worth?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Benjamin

If your friend successfully sells it, let me know. I've got pieces of
the Great Wall of China, the Great Pyramid, a small chunk of the
Leaning Tower of Pisa, four Moon Rocks, a splinter from the toenail of
the Colossus of Rhodes, and a couple pressed flowers from the Hanging
Gardens of Babylon out in my garage (or I know where I can get them.)

I'm also pretty sure I have enough pieces of the True Cross to rebuild
the log cabin Abe Lincoln was born in, depending on which is worth
more.

B.J.

da leggere,
7 giu 2002, 16:36:5507/06/02
> If your friend successfully sells it, let me know. I've got pieces of
> the Great Wall of China, the Great Pyramid, a small chunk of the
> Leaning Tower of Pisa, four Moon Rocks, a splinter from the toenail of
> the Colossus of Rhodes, and a couple pressed flowers from the Hanging
> Gardens of Babylon out in my garage (or I know where I can get them.)
>
> I'm also pretty sure I have enough pieces of the True Cross to rebuild
> the log cabin Abe Lincoln was born in, depending on which is worth
> more.

LOL... very funny. Kind of what I suspected, but I thought I'd check.

Thanks!

B.J.

da leggere,
7 giu 2002, 16:37:4607/06/02
> Then it's absolutely *worthless* -- doesn't your friend understand
> that?

Yep, I realize that. That's kind of what I figured, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks for answering!

Bob Flaminio

da leggere,
7 giu 2002, 16:43:3607/06/02
If memory serves me right, it was B.J. who wrote:

> This is how it happened: The owner's father was on vacation in Italy
> back in the 60s and smuggled this piece out of the country back to
> the USA! (Obviously, at that time it was illegal for anyone to take
> pieces of the buildings.)
>
> So, no, there is no title. The only thing to sell is the piece itself.

There is no owner. The "owner's" father is a thief. The current holder
of the stone is in possession of stolen property. Answer me this: if I
take your car, does that make me the owner of that car? If I give your
car to my son, does he become the owner?

The proper thing to do would be to contact the Italian government,
explain the situation, and give the brick back to them. You can reach
the Italian government through a local consulate, or at their embassy in
your nation's capital.

-Bob

B.J.

da leggere,
7 giu 2002, 16:53:5507/06/02
> There is no owner. The "owner's" father is a thief. The current holder
> of the stone is in possession of stolen property. Answer me this: if I
> take your car, does that make me the owner of that car? If I give your
> car to my son, does he become the owner?
>
> The proper thing to do would be to contact the Italian government,
> explain the situation, and give the brick back to them. You can reach
> the Italian government through a local consulate, or at their embassy in
> your nation's capital.

Thanks for the info! I'll pass it on!

> -Bob

Mac McDougald

da leggere,
7 giu 2002, 19:07:2007/06/02
In article <pm52gukeneo3lf86v...@4ax.com>,
ten.tla@eriafresal says...

> I'm also pretty sure I have enough pieces of the True Cross to rebuild
> the log cabin Abe Lincoln was born in, depending on which is worth
> more.

Love it, Dave!

Mac

Dave Busch

da leggere,
7 giu 2002, 20:04:2907/06/02
My followup to this message from "B.J." <bj...@we-r4u.com> shows that
I have caved in and started bottom-posting, except when I forget:

>"Bernie" <nospam_ber...@email.com> wrote in message
>> "B.J." <bj...@we-r4u.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello all,
>> >
>> > I know someone who owns a chunk (about the size of a brick) of the great
>> > Roman Colosseum. It is made of some white material, perhaps marble, and
>is
>> > sculpted on one side. They're interested in selling it.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any idea if such an artifact is legal to sell on eBay?
>If
>> > so, how much would such a thing be worth?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Benjamin

The recently late Stephen Jay Gould wrote an essay called "The Lying
Stones of Marrakesh" about the bustling business in the Mediterranean
in manufacturing ancient "artifacts" to sell to tourists. Although
Gould's examples were fake "fossils" I'd guess that "bricks" from
Roman monuments would also be popular counterfeits.

I'd guess that any tourist purchasing one of these would go home with
an exciting story about "smuggling" the item back. I've never been to
Rome and don't know what the security was like there in 1960, but I do
know my son was quickly chastised a couple years back for venturing
beyond some ropes and taking a seat amongst the loose rubble of a
Roman amphitheater in Western Spain.

After 2000 years, a brick here, a brick there, and there wouldn't be
any Collesesseum left.

David RL Gartner

da leggere,
8 giu 2002, 02:14:4908/06/02
Dave Busch <ten.tla@eriafresal> blathered:

<Snip>
:: After 2000 years, a brick here, a brick there, and there wouldn't be
:: any Collesesseum left.

ITYM "collellesessessellesseum."

david

Angie

da leggere,
8 giu 2002, 09:38:0408/06/02
Wow. Your friend should return it to Italy.

I started to ask "Why would someone do that?" but I guess people just get
caught up in the moment.

Angie

"B.J." <bj...@we-r4u.com> wrote in message

Warren Kelly

da leggere,
8 giu 2002, 23:40:2808/06/02

Dave Busch <ten.tla@eriafresal> wrote in message

> I'm also pretty sure I have enough pieces of the True Cross to rebuild
> the log cabin Abe Lincoln was born in, depending on which is worth
> more.

Good -- then there are still more out there!! At one time every monastery
in Europe had a big hunk of the True Cross. There were enough that the
trees used to build the True Cross would reforest major portions of Brazil.

WK

0 nuovi messaggi