Thumb Tip

Stephen O'Neill

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

At the risk of being told I am stupid, which would not be for the first
time...I have always enjoyed card magic but feel that I would like to
explore other types of close up magic so I have ordered a 'thumb tip' from
www.trickshop.com

I thought I had only seen one used once(probably because the person using it
was crap) but have seen a list of tricks that can apparently be performed
with the aid of such a device and I have seen these done and never guessed a
thumb tip was used.

So my question is(after all that waffle)

Are they difficult to master?
How many of you have used one.

Yeah alright that's 2 questions but who's counting:-)

Steve.

Paul Power- remove 'email.'

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

In article <#jkg77EG9GA.295@upnetnews04>,

I've had one for a couple of weeks now, but I am now going to buy a video
to go with it. Every one says that the audience should never see the TT.
I've been practicing in the mirror for ages and I'm not getting much
better. The problem is I know I've got one on so I'm always going to be
looking at it. Hopefully the video will help, anyone recommned a title?

Regards,

Paul.

David A. Kaufman

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

In article <#jkg77EG9GA.295@upnetnews04>, "Stephen O'Neill"
<oldma...@email.msn.com> wrote:

> At the risk of being told I am stupid, which would not be for the first
> time...I have always enjoyed card magic but feel that I would like to
> explore other types of close up magic so I have ordered a 'thumb tip' from
> www.trickshop.com
>
> I thought I had only seen one used once(probably because the person using it
> was crap) but have seen a list of tricks that can apparently be performed
> with the aid of such a device and I have seen these done and never guessed a
> thumb tip was used.
>
> So my question is(after all that waffle)
>
> Are they difficult to master?
> How many of you have used one.
>

> Yeah alright that's 2 questions but who's counting:-)
>
> Steve.

Are they difficult to master? Yes. But they're not difficult to use
fairly well. Most important tip: Try to keep it behind something else.
Second most important tip: If you've got to show the tip, make sure that
you show the tip only straight at the audience. In other words, don't hold
your thumb out so that your "knuckle" is visible, only the tips of your
fingers.

For example, assume you're going to vanish a silk.

Step 1: Hold the silk so that the thumb tip is behind it. (Most important
tip!) This is easy; just hold the silk between your "thumb" and forefinger.

Step 2: Transfer the tip to your other hand behind the silk. Also not
hard, but takes some practice so you don't look shifty.

Step 3: Make a big show of placing the silk into your other hand. Of
course, you're placing it in the tip, but they don't know that. Unless
they read this message. Or knew some other way. In which case, they're
going to be a crappy audience.

Step 4: Use your thumb to "pack it in tightly" and transfer the tip
(containing the silk) onto your thumb.

Step 5: Open your hand.

Step 6: Open your other hand, thus baffling those who knew that you had
simply switched the silk into your other hand, and point your fingertips
toward the audience. (By the way, that was the second most important tip,
for those of you playing at home)

Step 7: Wave your hands mysteriously.

Step 8: While waving your hands mysteriously, transfer the tip back into
your other hand. This is the part you REALLY have to practice, because you
can get very busted here.

Step 9: Grab some magic woofle dust, or have someone breathe on it, or
whatever, and make a big show of taking the newly reconstituted silk out of
your hand.

Step 10: Behind the silk, again, transfer the tip.

Step 11: Place the silk (and the tip) in your pocket.

Step 12: Bask in the spotlight of success, get free drinks, and girls.

It's a very simple trick, but at least in my experience, the simpler the
effects are, the better. Everybody knows that when you put something in
your hand, it stays there. But it isn't, it's vanishing. And then
reappearing. Freaks 'em out. Much better, in my opinion, than "here's a
perfectly ordinary piece of plastic with inset rhinestones." Everybody
knows that something is up with the piece of plastic. <End of rant>

Enjoy.

Freddy Herdenberg

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

> The thumbtip is easiest to master if there are in a perfect size. The thumbtip
> shouldn`t be to small so you dont get it off/on easy. If you are a beginner
> with the thumbtip and aren´t so good at hiding it (i´ve heard about one with a
> red thumbtip but he could hide the thumb so nobody saw it) , you should buy a
> thumbtip that are as natural as possible. The material is also importent. Buy
> diffrent thumbs from diffrent dealers and try them out (they aren`t so
> expencive). And go with then/those you feel comfertable with.

> To learn diffrent tricks with the thumb buy a book or a video.

> Money (paper money), sugar, salt, is other things to use with the thumbtip.

I'm using a very nice rubber thumb tip which I bought at Elduco
http://www.elduco.se

carl

Bart Bosco

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

>At the risk of being told I am stupid, which would not be for the first
>time...I have always enjoyed card magic but feel that I would like to
>explore other types of close up magic so I have ordered a 'thumb tip' from
>www.trickshop.com
>
>I thought I had only seen one used once(probably because the person using it
>was crap) but have seen a list of tricks that can apparently be performed
>with the aid of such a device and I have seen these done and never guessed a
>thumb tip was used.
>
>So my question is(after all that waffle)
>
>Are they difficult to master?
>How many of you have used one.
>
>Yeah alright that's 2 questions but who's counting:-)
>
>Steve.

It's a good buy. There are endless uses for a TT.
Gary Darwin has written two or three (maybe more) books on it. Also, find
Milbourne Christopher's 50 Tricks with a TT. It's quite old, but still great

Bart Bosco

Colin MacKenzie

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

I would like to add to this already great reply. When you want to reproduce
the silk try this...
ask for a dollar bill, or play it up and ask for any denomination until you
get a bill of some type If the TT is on your left hand, hold the bill in your
right hand. Show your left hand empty by pointing all of your finger tips
toward your spectators. Remember, you only want them to see the
tip or the bottom of the TT. Take the bill in your left hand with the first
finger and thumb and show the right hand empty exactly as you did
with your left hand. Now, keep in mind that you don't want to over
do it when showing your hands empty. Just a simple gesture with
open hands, first left then right. After all, your hands are empty,
and they can see that! OK. With the bill between the first finger facing
the spectators and thumb at the back, curl the bill around the TT into
the shape of a cone.The opening of the cone is at the opening of the
TT. You can now pull the thumb out the the TT. Make sure the TT doesn't
pop out the the cone. Make sure no one can see into the cone by
pointing it just a bit toward yourself. This, too, should not be over done.
Just a slight tilt. Reach into the cone and SLOWLY pull the silk out of
the TT(cone). Play it up! Make it look like a lot of silk is coming out the
the cone. Also, don't grip the cone too tight. It's only a paper cone,
remember? You might crush it!! When you get almost to
the end of the silk reach over with the left hand and grap the silk
between the first finger and second finger at the same time and
insert the thumb into the cone(TT). With the right hand grab the
bill and start to unwind it from the thumb(TT). Retain the bill between
the first finger and thumb (TT)of the left hand. The silk should be in the left
hand in
front the the bill. The bill should be, long side parallel to the floor and
behind the silk. The silk is draped over all the finger in the left hand.
Again, gesture with the right hand, finger tips toward the spectators.
Take the bill with the right hand first finger and thumb and sort
of shake it up and down, short end of bill toward the spectators.
Do the same with the left hand holding the silk. Hand the silk
to a spectator, remembering to keep your four fingers over the TT.
Take the bill with the left hand and place the bill into your pocket,
ditching the TT there. The guy who gave you the bill will give you
a very anxious look. Reach into your pocket and retrieve the bill, laugh
and say only kidding! Then return the bill and thank him.

Don't be afraid of someone spoting your thumb tip. I have used one
since I was about 15 years old (I am now 40) and the only time I
was caught was when I acted as if I had a splint on a broken thumb.
Try wearing it one day and see how many people even notice it!
If you need to show the back of your hand at all just place the first
finger over where the nail would be on the thumb. Do this as you are
turning over the hand. Only gesture then turning it back. The best thing
to remember is, your hands are really empty!!!! So why challenge anyone
by making it a point that they are empty.

David A. Kaufman wrote:

> In article <#jkg77EG9GA.295@upnetnews04>, "Stephen O'Neill"
> <oldma...@email.msn.com> wrote:
>

> > At the risk of being told I am stupid, which would not be for the first
> > time...I have always enjoyed card magic but feel that I would like to
> > explore other types of close up magic so I have ordered a 'thumb tip' from
> > www.trickshop.com
> >
> > I thought I had only seen one used once(probably because the person using it
> > was crap) but have seen a list of tricks that can apparently be performed
> > with the aid of such a device and I have seen these done and never guessed a
> > thumb tip was used.
> >
> > So my question is(after all that waffle)
> >
> > Are they difficult to master?
> > How many of you have used one.
> >
> > Yeah alright that's 2 questions but who's counting:-)
> >
> > Steve.

Dexter311

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

Steve,
Thumb tips are one of the most used things in magic. I use one all the
time, the things that can be done are endless. And no, they are'nt hard to
master.

Vernon DeLoy Ursenbach

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

There are more than three book by Gary Darwin. He is a good friend and he
is always thinking something new up for the TT. However, you will not want
to use them all for a pro show.

Everyone and their dog had a TT. It's the first trick bought by most
people in a magic shop. Be carful. Only use the TT with tried and proven
winers for a pro show. There are very few. Remember there are people will
be performing for that have been in a magic shop and are familiar with the
TT.

Bart Bosco <bart...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19980103195...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

> >At the risk of being told I am stupid, which would not be for the first
> >time...I have always enjoyed card magic but feel that I would like to
> >explore other types of close up magic so I have ordered a 'thumb tip'
from
> >www.trickshop.com
> >
> >I thought I had only seen one used once(probably because the person
using it
> >was crap) but have seen a list of tricks that can apparently be
performed
> >with the aid of such a device and I have seen these done and never
guessed a
> >thumb tip was used.
> >
> >So my question is(after all that waffle)
> >
> >Are they difficult to master?
> >How many of you have used one.
> >
> >Yeah alright that's 2 questions but who's counting:-)
> >
> >Steve.

Nytro

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

Paul Power- remove 'email.' wrote:

> In article <#jkg77EG9GA.295@upnetnews04>,
> "Stephen O'Neill" <oldma...@email.msn.com> wrote:
>
> >At the risk of being told I am stupid, which would not be for the first
> >time...I have always enjoyed card magic but feel that I would like to
> >explore other types of close up magic so I have ordered a 'thumb tip' from
> >www.trickshop.com
> >
> >I thought I had only seen one used once(probably because the person using it
> >was crap) but have seen a list of tricks that can apparently be performed
> >with the aid of such a device and I have seen these done and never guessed a
> >thumb tip was used.
> >
> >So my question is(after all that waffle)
> >
> >Are they difficult to master?
> >How many of you have used one.
>
> I've had one for a couple of weeks now, but I am now going to buy a video
> to go with it. Every one says that the audience should never see the TT.
> I've been practicing in the mirror for ages and I'm not getting much
> better. The problem is I know I've got one on so I'm always going to be
> looking at it. Hopefully the video will help, anyone recommned a title?
>
> Regards,
>
> Paul.

naw...its not noticible if you don't look at it or move awkwardly. Dont
show your hands empty by crossing your thumbs...rather show them empty
bypointing your thumbs forward when you open your hands. I've had one
for around 6 or 7 years, and I'm 15. Its easy to do, and a great
effect. Believe me...they can't see it if you move your hands right.
Ask your local friendly magic shop dealer to show you how to show your
hands empty.

nytro

Vernon DeLoy Ursenbach

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

You need to be carful not to hold your hand or move that would look funny
to the audience. Regardles of wether you look at it or not, or if it feels
comfortable to you. It needs to be non-suspicas.

Bob K

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

Paul Power- remove 'email.' wrote:

>> I've had one for a couple of weeks now, but I am now going to buy a video
>> to go with it. Every one says that the audience should never see the TT.
>> I've been practicing in the mirror for ages and I'm not getting much
>> better. The problem is I know I've got one on so I'm always going to be
>> looking at it. Hopefully the video will help, anyone recommned a title?

I wouldn't recommend buying either one just for TT information, but
the Salvano video sold by Stevens includes some very useful ideas on
using one effectively, and Jay Scott Berry also has some good ideas in
his lecture and on his Close Up video.

Bob K (remove NOSPAM to reply by email)

Paul Power- remove 'email.'

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

In article <34b126d0...@news.packet.net>,
bkm...@bigfoot.NOSPAMcom (Bob K) wrote:

Cheers Bob!

Stephen O'Neill

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

I am no expert as I do not even have a thumb tip, but have one on
order....but I think maybe you answer your own question. DONT KEEP LOOKING
AT THE DAMN THING AND MAYBE NO ONE ELSE WILL?

Steve.
sorry about the caps lock, just done it for effect:-)
Bob K wrote in message <34b126d0...@news.packet.net>...

>Paul Power- remove 'email.' wrote:
>
>>> I've had one for a couple of weeks now, but I am now going to buy a
video
>>> to go with it. Every one says that the audience should never see the
TT.
>>> I've been practicing in the mirror for ages and I'm not getting much
>>> better. The problem is I know I've got one on so I'm always going to be
>>> looking at it. Hopefully the video will help, anyone recommned a title?
>
>I wouldn't recommend buying either one just for TT information, but
>the Salvano video sold by Stevens includes some very useful ideas on
>using one effectively, and Jay Scott Berry also has some good ideas in
>his lecture and on his Close Up video.

Jarred McAdams

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

Stephen O'Neill wrote:

> OK Guys and gals I 've got my thumb tip, well actually I borrowed a rather
> poor one while I await the delivery of mine, and I have been practising for
> a couple of days now and am getting a little bored making silk hanky's
> disappear. Anyone let me know another good illusion with one?
>
> Yeah I know there are loads of books with such content and have ordered one
> of those too but I am an impatient sod and want to play now:-)
>
> Many thanx
>
> Steve.

Right now would be the ideal time, in my opinion, for you to fly without a net
for a while. A TT is an inherently limited gimmick in many ways, but the
possibilities are really endless. Think about it. With only a few limitations
as to size and shape, you can conceal just about anything you want for as long
as you want. You can, instead of ditching the piece of card immediately, delay
it until you have the perfect moment. Don't rely on the books. Try to think
away from vanishes and productions. There are undoubtedly hundreds of until
now untried ideas for the TT that are just waiting to be discovered. I'll
guarantee it's easier to find them now than it will be after you read your
books.

That's what I think,

Stephen O'Neill

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

PathFind11

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Steve:
You have to wait....performers spend more time waiting
then performing ..hehe
Another book you should get would be Dursheck's
book on thumb tips - provides other ideas on many
uses for the thumb tip also the old classic is 50 tricks
with a thumb tip...
These two will keep you busy for awhile..
Regards
Path

All flames are encouraged...blow all the wind out of your butts all you
like...They will
all be graciously ignored..have a nice day!

Walter and/or Annie

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Stephen O'Neill wrote:

> OK Guys and gals I 've got my thumb tip, well actually I borrowed a rather
> poor one while I await the delivery of mine, and I have been practising for
> a couple of days now and am getting a little bored making silk hanky's
> disappear. Anyone let me know another good illusion with one?
>
> Yeah I know there are loads of books with such content and have ordered one
> of those too but I am an impatient sod and want to play now:-)
>
> Many thanx
>
> Steve.

Track down the "$100.00 bill switch", It'a a killer.
WKD

Freddy Lopez

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98
to Stephen O'Neill

Well, for starter's try some variations. With a little practice, you can make
powders and liquids appear from nowhere (try a little melted parafin). You can
switch billets or bills.. just depends on what you want to do..

-Freddy

--
Alfred Lopez Jr.

http://www.express-news.net/7halo
http://www.enconnect.net/7halo
(... because we all go a little mad sometimes...)
---------------------------------
Express-News
New Media Design

LTek1

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

Hate to say it, but the Klutz Book of Magic is actually rather good. I'd
recomend it, especially for thumb tip advice.

:Lee

JMcdade257

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

how about changing curly ribbon to colored confetti? do a sponge ball routine
with small supersoft balls, and vanish one for good at the finale? torn and
restored sugar package? thumb coils? casually stand there with empty hands
for a while, then produce one of the baby size sponge bunnies from an empty
fist (tell them the growth was stunted because he had to live in a hat in the
closet for so long)? these are just some quick thoughts - try any small
object, and don't forget that you can do changes and appearances in addition to
vanishes. have fun.....

ejb...@user1.teleport.com

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

LTek1 <lt...@aol.com> wrote:
>Hate to say it, but the Klutz Book of Magic is actually rather good. I'd
>recomend it, especially for thumb tip advice.

Don't knock Klutz Books until you've tried a couple of them. Their first,
an instruction book for juggling, is one of the major elements responsible
for the growth of juggling in the U.S. If their magic book is half as
good, I'd look for a big growth in magic's popularity.

Just be sure you get a copy with _all_ of the attached gimmicks.

=Eric

Moira Clear

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

In article <OlMiTeDI9GA.237@upnetnews03>, "Stephen O'Neill"
<oldma...@email.msn.com> wrote:

> OK Guys and gals I 've got my thumb tip, well actually I borrowed a rather
> poor one while I await the delivery of mine, and I have been practising for
> a couple of days now and am getting a little bored making silk hanky's
> disappear. Anyone let me know another good illusion with one?
>
> Yeah I know there are loads of books with such content and have ordered one
> of those too but I am an impatient sod and want to play now:-)
>
> Many thanx
>
> Steve.

You can do a "cut and restored ribbon" trick with a thumb tip, by first
selotaping a loop of ribbon inside the thumb tip so it sticks out when you
take your finger out. For the trick stuffthe ribbon into your hand with
the thumb tip and pull out the loop of ribbon from inside the thumb tip,
cut it, put the thumb tip back on, then show the audience the restored
ribbon!

Dylan