Bart Bervoets (aka Nekobe): Affidavits wanted!

cutte...@my-deja.com

Jan 10, 2001, 9:26:44 PM1/10/01
If you've been to the webpage, apologies for the duplication. I want
to make sure this information is spread far and wide.
This file contains both the original description of the arrest, and a
followup mail with descriptions on filing an affidavit.

(Permission is granted to distribute this email, so long as the
text is unchanged)

The long and short-- Mr. Bervoets' arrest report:
http://www.onetgov.net/bailbond/injail.asp?BookNumber=01000907

EVENT MAIL #1

Many of us in the furry fandom have come to know of the presence
of a gentleman calling himself "Nekobe," Bart Bervoets.

I first made his acquaintance in March of 2000, when he was
trolling for a place to stay in the Florida area. Seeing as I
heard he had a bad reputation, I declined his inquiry. He
further worsened hsi reputation in my eyes when he openly
attacked another Florida Fur in #fursuit on Yiffnet, for refusing
to host him for several months. I had also heard several things
about him from Anthrocon-- namely that he'd garnered several
harassment complaints (including a sexual harassment one) as well
that he had sent the police to the hotel, insisting that child
pornography was being sold, and drugs were being consumed. This
deepened my dislike and distrust for Mr. Bervoets.

My personal nightmare began in August. It seems Mr. Bervoets
learned that I had a spare bedroom to rent and was insistent on
claiming it. I told him I wished nothing to do with him-- a fact
I reiterated several times before placing ignores on him. Once
ignored, he switched accounts, to further my harassment.

In October, he learned my PCS phone number and put it to use. On
October 18, using a pay phone and calling card to avoid tracing,
he called me for 15 minutes, insisting I speak to him so that he
could tell me the "truth." Again, I told him to cease and
desist. When I wouldn't listen to him, his tone turned agressive
and hostile, often yelling and demanding I pay attention to him.
I ended up having to power my PCS phone off, to get him ot leave
me alone.

The nightmare turned into a personal hell on the night of
November 19, 2000. While returning from a post Midwest Furfest
dinner (with Phil Morrissey, Paul Defenbaugh and Kodian in the
car-- who can bear witness to this), Mr. Bervoets began another
call barrage on my PCS phone. Each time, I told him not to call
me, and to leave me alone. He made four to five barrages of
these calls, each lasting five to seven calls. At approximately
9-10pm EST, Mr. Bervoets announced during one of his calls that
he intended to come to Florida and shoot me, among several others
in fandom he blamed for his depression.

When I returned home to Orlando the next day, I asked my roommate
(Paul Banta, formerly known as "Byzantyn" and now "dendweller" on
IRC) about any phone calls that happened the night before. He
echoed the fact that Mr. Bervoets also called my apartment in
Orlando and threatened to kill me-- either bombing my apartment,
or booby-trapping my car. Given that Mr. Bervoets has boasted of
his munitions skills on usenet in the past (see:
http://x57.deja.com/[ST_rn=ap]/getdoc.xp?AN=600931451&CONTEXT=978
387628.1338769452&hitnum=21 ), I took this as a legitimate
threat. Officer Hector Nieves of the Orange County took the
statement of the account on 11-22-00. I was told that until Mr.
Bervoets actually took violent action against me, there was
nothing they could or would do.

Several weeks passed, and Mr. Bervoets again reared his head on
1-1-01-- making 14 calls to my apartment phone. Each call was
hostile and threatening. When I confronted him on the fact that
he'd threatened my life in November, he denied it-- insisting an
imposter was doing it. I still told him I wanted nothing to do
with him. His final calls became very threatening-- telling my
my particular street address and apartment number (I have my
theories as to how he got my unpublished phone number and
address, but since I have no proof, I can't publish them), and
demanding that he was going to come to my apartment. That
afternoon, Officer Randy Hovland of the OCPD took the complaint.
Again, I was told nothing could be done until violent action was
taken.

On Saturday, 1-6-01, my roommate told me that Mr. Bervoets had
called from a payphone approximately six miles north of my
apartment, and was coming to demand entry. Knowing that I was
frustrated with Mr. Bervoets to the point of violence, my
roommate negotiated an agreement to meet Mr. Bervoets off the
apartment property in exchange for meeting him at an adjacent
location. He left at 11:30am, and wasn't seen again until 11am
the next day.

When my roommate came home Sunday morning, he told me that Mr.
Bervoets was now parked right outside my apartment. But, he also
mentioned that he had been doing the driving (since Mr. Bervoets
was insistent on driving to harass another pair of furs in the
area. My roommate wasn't going to let him get there), and had
the keys-- effectively stranding Mr. Bervoets in the parking lot.
I called the police.

The officer arrived to find Mr. Bervoets trying to listen into
the apartment and confronted him. The officer knocked on my door
and said that he was already convinced that Mr. Bervoets was
deranged and was prepared to Baker Act (involuntarily commit)
him. At 12:00 noon, he was arrested for third degree stalking
and taken to the Orange County jail. His car was impounded. The
case number is 01-1702

At 2:00pm on 1-8-00, he went before a judge and was ordered held
on $2000 bond. I now have an Injunction against him (now, case
DR01-310)-- which means he can't get within 500 feet of me at any
time. A hearing has been set for 1-22-00 at 1pm. At this
hearing, the judge will take in any evidence about his character
and disposition. If you know of any one who has had a negative
experience with him, please get them in touch with me-- as I'm
pushing for a deportation.

Unfortunately, this entire episode has had me on edge for the
better part of three months. I've been trying VERY hard to curb
my temper and to be more accomodating, but the tension that
Nekobe's been causing in the background put me into a situation
where I had to be reclusive, and stessed almost 24-7. Every time
I left my home, I wondered if he'd be around or if he'd tampered
with my car.

If I've been at all snarly, snippy or short with you in the last
three months, if I've not talked to you, returned email or phone
calls, I apologize. This episode (especially the bastard I
believe leaked my unpublished contact info) has really had me
guessing who my friends are at times-- and as I did that, folks
sometime caught me at a bad time and paid the price.

If I've been abrasive or hostile to anyone out there at all, I
humbly apologize. I hope this might provide some insight as to
why I've been so tightly wound the last three months, though it
certainly doesn't excuse the behavior.

EVENT MAIL #2

In the last 12 hours, my mailbox has been flooded with support
emails regarding the Bart Bervoets (AKA "Nekobe") situation.
First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for their support. Now
that the heat of the moment has passed, I've started to realize
the threat of the situation and frankly, it's scaring the
daylights out of me.

The question posed in most emails is "Is there anything I can do
to help?" Yes, there is.

If you've had any sorts of negative encounters with Bart
Bervoets, please send me a legally-documented account of it. The
hearing is scheduled for 1-22-01, at 1:15 pm

To get something documented, you're going to need to print it up
on 8.5 x 11 white paper and take it to a Notary Public. The
Notary will ask if what you're submitting is the truth, then
press the paper with a seal and sign it. You've just created a
legal document. You can find Notary Publics at places like post
offices, Mailboxes Etc and the like. Normally, there's a small
fee (usually $2-$3) for the services.

When writing the statement, please remember the following:

*Statements need to be given by people who have had ACTUAL
first-hand experiences with Mr. Bervoets and his erratic
behavior. If what you've heard came from a friend of a friend of
a friend of a friend's boyfriend's cousin-THAT'S the person who
needs to be giving a statement. Otherwise, you're just making
statements based on secondhand evidence, which dramatically
weakens the case and my credibility as a plaintiff. So again, if
you know of anyone who has had a first-hand experience with Mr.
Bervoets, please get them this email or get them in touch with
me.

*Statements MUST be calm, collected and concise. Hate mail or
"get Nekobe" statements will not be submitted. There needs to be
a clear motive behind the statements.

GOOD:
" Mr. Bervoets sexually attacked me at a convention."
" Mr. Bervoets threatened me because..."
" Mr. Bervoets harassed me on the telephone.."

BAD:
" Nekobe is an asshole, and I want him to get
deported."
" Everyone else is jumping on the lynch bandwagon, so I
will too!"

*There is an affidavit form attached to this email (webmasters,
if you post this to your page, please make this form available
for download as well). Please use this affidavit form to make
your statement, and get notarized. [NOTE: Affidavit forms may be
found at http://thefoxden.com/nekobe.html ]

*Make the statement short, but concise. Judges are busy people.
A stack of affadavits that make "War and Peace" look like
pamphlets are likely to be thrown out or otherwise disregarded by
the court. Look at how I worded the original post about my
situation: Summarize the episodes in short, bulleted points. If
you have dates and times, note those as well. The best thing is
to keep the statement to no more than two pages if possible-three
at the max.

*When writing your statement, completely avoid slang and
fandom-related language. Again, it comes down to a credibility
issue when the judge reads the statements:

--Instead of your fan-handle, use your real name.
--Instead of "yiff," use "sexual activity."
--Instead of "Nekobe," use "Mr. Bervoets."

Think of it like this-if you give it to a non-furry or non-fandom
friend, and they have to ask you for clarification on the
language, it probably needs to be cleaned up a bit.

*Spell check, spell check, spell check. Everyone makes an
occasional slip up.

*At the bottom of the affidavit, print your REAL-LIFE name, sign
it, then put down vital contact information: your address,
telephone number, and email. The judge may very well wish to
contact people for clarification.

*Once your affidavit has been printed up, find a Notary Public
and have them notarize your statement.

*When the statement has been notarized, it needs to be mailed to
me. Since (and especially after) this episode, I'm hesitant to
give out my home address, Bronzebear Media is going to allow use
of their mailbox for this. Please make sure it's addressed
exactly as it appears below (If "Bronzebear Media" doesn't
appear, there's a chance the post office will reject the mail:

Bronzebear Media Distribution
C/O Nekobe Statements
PO Box 770742
Orlando, Fl 32837

If you are planning on attending the hearing itself, please be at
the Orange County Courthouse at twelve noon on the 22nd. I want
to spend about an hour meeting with people, just to lay the
ground rules, and do some quick coaching (Believe it or not,
folks, both of my parents are attorneys. Before I went to
college, I was raised and coached to go into the "family
business.").

*Remember, you're dressing for court, not a convention. Yes, you
're going to see a rare site on the court date-me in a button
down shirt, khaki slacks, dressy shoes and a tie. If we go in
looking well groomed and sharp, we'll already have an advantage.

*If the judge DOES allow testimony, recall what I've said above
regarding language. No slang or otherwise cute talk. "Sexual
contact," not "yiff." You get the idea.

*If you would plan on testifying, please bring a notarized
statement as well. There's no promise that anyone will be
allowed to testify, other than myself. In that case, at least
the notarized statement can be submitted with others. In a best
case, the judge will review the statements and call a few locals
up for support testimony. Being a civil case, I don't know how
much time I'll be allowed, so I can only speculate on this.

*Do not bring any sort of weapons. There's a metal detector at
the courthouse. For a quick laugh: I had to check my wallet when
I got there-they said my chain could be used as a weapon. So
they tend to be strict on those things.

This is it, folks. We've been waiting for a chance like this.
Mr. Bervoets is pinned and vulnerable. We have a chance to make
sure that he stays pinned. If you have any accounts that could
or would make for a statement to support my claim that Mr.
Bervoets is a deranged menace to the public at large, please get
me an affidavit ASAP.

As always, any communication can be directed to: rac...@ao.net

Thanks again.

Cutter

Cutter McCoy, Raccoon biker at large!
Furry Code: FPR3a A+++ C++ Dm++ H++ M++ P++ R+ T+++ W+$ Z++++
Sm++ RLCT/E/LW a28 cd++ d+ e++ f++ h++ i++ j+ p* sm++
CutterCoon on AOLIM
ICQ: 63360722
Raccoon*AT*ao.net

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Cray Drygu

Jan 10, 2001, 11:52:03 PM1/10/01
cutte...@my-deja.com wrote in <93j5ku$1ki$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>:

>You can find Notary Publics at places like post
>offices, Mailboxes Etc and the like.

And, of course, at your local Town/City Hall.

(Just had to point that out, since I work at one)

> --Instead of your fan-handle, use your real name.
> --Instead of "yiff," use "sexual activity."
> --Instead of "Nekobe," use "Mr. Bervoets."

>*Spell check, spell check, spell check. Everyone makes an
>occasional slip up.

>*At the bottom of the affidavit, print your REAL-LIFE name, sign
>it, then put down vital contact information: your address,
>telephone number, and email. The judge may very well wish to
>contact people for clarification.

(I quoted these parts because they're very good advice, and bear
repeating.)

Good luck in your case against Nekobe. I only knew his name, nothing
about what he was like...I had no idea.

--
Cray Drygu
cray [at] org

"It's all about the Pentiums, baby!"
-- Weird Al

Karl Xydexx Jorgensen

Jan 11, 2001, 1:07:35 AM1/11/01
cuttercoon%my-deja.com wrote:
> Given that Mr. Bervoets has boasted of
> his munitions skills on usenet in the past (see:
> http://x57.deja.com/[ST_rn=ap]/getdoc.xp?AN=600931451&CONTEXT=978
> 387628.1338769452&hitnum=21 ), I took this as a legitimate
> threat.

Shorter, text-only version of the above URL:
http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=600931451&fmt=text

HTH.

-Xydexx, the Dejanews Maven

Karl Xydexx Jorgensen / Xydexx Squeakypony, KSC
Anthrofurry Infocenter:
http://www.xydexx.com/anthrofurry

D.Jean Cooper

Jan 12, 2001, 9:58:27 PM1/12/01

Baloo Ursidae wrote:

> Wow, that's rather alarming. Good luck.

> cutte...@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > http://x57.deja.com/[ST_rn=ap]/getdoc.xp?AN=600931451&CONTEXT=978
> > 387628.1338769452&hitnum=21 ), I took this as a legitimate
>

> Just the message-ID header would have been enough for people to go look up
> the message in most newsreaders.
>
> --
> Baloo

Yes, good luck, Cuttercoon. Whenever he's posted
to ALF, there was just ...something that set my teeth
on edge. I can't say that about everyfur that I disagree
with here, but he's been the exception. With any degree
of luck, he'll be at least sent home. -Walk in Balance

Ambergold Wolfeyes
SCA: Lady Aelfreda O'Llyn Ewig
--
D.Jean Cooper
dcooper at inav dot net

nekobe

Jan 16, 2001, 12:58:40 PM1/16/01
document below was actually my response on a fur who was threatned by
poachers
who illegally killed foxes on his property.
this was for the protection of those animals, not as a hate attack or threat
to someone in furry.
do not mix ppl's words, read first, it says foxes, isn't?
yes, get rid of poachers, it's sad!

nekobe

and something more!
if i ever had the chance to get these guys i would personally
castrate them with a chainsaw!
i was thinking about this, and i say there's only one answer on this:
war!
use every possible way , legal and illegal. to wipe their asses.
try to find out if they come in that area regularly, and if so, where
exactly.
spot their traps and connect boobytraps to them.
i can give you drawings and schematics of how to build time mechanisms ,
landmines
and other nasty things.
try to find other people who are willing to help, spy the neighbourhood with
a videocamera,
and if you know for sure who did it, blow up the whole place.
i once had such a situation.i cannot speak free on the net , but be sure i
got them hard.
this is something which goes directly against humanity !
i call by this the right to declare war at every poacher !
do not rest until everyone of them is killed and lies 6 feet under !
if the police is not helping, take the right in your own hands!!!!
good luck soldier!

nekobe

Jarrod Henry

Jan 16, 2001, 1:13:43 PM1/16/01
So .. to show that killing foxes is wrong you advocate killing people?

Nekobe.. seek help. I mean it. I've read your posts here thus far, and
they scare me. If you really want to spend your life with someone, then you
cannot act like this. You'll scare them away.

Magnwa
"nekobe" <nek...@online.be> wrote in message

nekobe

Jan 16, 2001, 1:24:25 PM1/16/01
what does the african government with poachers?
i said wound, not kill isn't.
what about those ppl who set hamurger restaurants on fire as protests?
isn't it all too weird?

nekobe

Jarrod Henry

Jan 16, 2001, 2:01:29 PM1/16/01

"nekobe" <nek...@online.be> wrote in message

It is weird. But it doesn't make either party right, though. The fact is,
Nekobe, if you want to change the world, you must change it slowly.
Castration _IS_ murder. You remove the genetic chance for future
generations. That is murder.

Magnwa

nekobe

Jan 16, 2001, 3:00:56 PM1/16/01

> Castration _IS_ murder. You remove the genetic chance for future
> generations. That is murder.

mmmh, it was more an expression of serious anger at those poachers, after
all they
have no right to do that either.
oh well

nekobe