On the public perception of "furry"

Kagemushi Goro

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98
I thought to share with everyone my observations on how people explain
the concept of "furry fandom" to mundanes. I have overheard many mun-
danes ask at a convention, "what sort of convention is this?" only to be
told "it's a furry convention!"

That, dear friends, tells the people nothing, and in fact, sounds
decidedly odd to them. They have no idea what the term means, but still
"our" people bandy it about as though anyone in the world should know
straight off what it entails.

The trick, I find, is to explain it not only in terms that ordinary
people can readily understand, but also in terms that these people can
readily accept.

Lying is not necessary. One merely needs to put the right spin on
things.

Allow me to offer an example of my typical answer to such a question:

"This convention? Well, it's a very narrowly-focused branch of science
fiction that deals with non-human characters, usually intelligent
animals. It's really quite fascinating to take an animal and give it
human intellect, the ability to walk upright like we do, and then try to
imagine how different the world would appear from its point of view.
We affectionately call it "furry" fandom -- animals, you see?"

If they stick around to learn more, I mention such things as the old
tales of Renard the fox, Animal farm, and other classic "furry"
literature that has found its way into the mainstream. These are things
that people can both understand and respect. I believe that it leaves
them with a much more favorable impression than that from a grinning
fanboy sputtering, "It's a furry convention! See my plushie?"

Just the thoughts of a weary old insect.

Yours,

Kagemushi Goro ("Uncle Kage")

Artax

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98
Oh, where to begin with this one?

Okay, first, if anyone plans to reply to this please note the
cross-post and remember to take either AFF or ALF out of the
distribution.

Secondly...

Kagemushi Goro wrote:
> I believe that it leaves
> them with a much more favorable impression than that from a grinning
> fanboy sputtering, "It's a furry convention! See my plushie?"

Use of epithets like "fanboy" contains an inherent value
judgement which makes it explicitly off-topic for ALF.

Thirdly, the public perception of furry fandom is the
subject of a permanent floating flamewar on AFF, and since
you cross-posted it to ALF we're quite likely to get lots
of extremely unwelcome spill-over from it here.

Fourthly, there's something that you don't seem to be getting
which is that ALT.LIFESTYLE.FURRY IS NOT ABOUT FURRY FANDOM!
The public perception of furry fandom is furry fandom's problem,
not that of the residents of this newsgroup. It's not relevant
here.

a res. | Artax
r p c | (Brad Austin)
t x o |
ax@i m | Oceanside, CA USA

Chuck Melville

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98
(Article snipped for brevity.)

Yes!

Bravo!
--

-Chuck Melville-
"We'd like to buy a cat. Preferably one with a history of mental illness."

S. arsenault

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98
Kagemushi Goro wrote:

> I thought to share with everyone my observations on how people explain
> the concept of "furry fandom" to mundanes. I have overheard many mun-
> danes ask at a convention, "what sort of convention is this?" only to be
> told "it's a furry convention!"

i was at the reception desk at AAC, and i had a chance
to explain it to a fellow that was checking in..

I was standing behind a big plant, listening to this
guy ask the desk clerk what was going on around here.
The lady behind the counter did her best, "Well, you
see these people try to ..combine the ..elements of
animals.. and their own.. lives.. and try to become
one" (she was probly trying to remember what some fans
told her..) "..and um.. give the animal inside them a
.. chance to come out.."
I'm looking on, cracking up, shaking my head, and
thinking, "What did they tell this poor woman?"
The fellow that asked the question tried to make sense
out of it.. he looked genuinely curious at to what it
was with all the costumes, and weirdness around.
The lady must have saw my badge, and said, "That
gentleman can probably tell you more, sir."
(w'okay.. i guess i better think o' something..)
So the guy walks over, and asks again. I wave my hand,
brushing aside the desk clerk's comments, and say,
'It's just comic books. It's a comic book convention.
But see, just funny animal comics.. you know like, Bugs
Bunny.. Mickey Mouse..'
The guy's face registers a bit of understanding at
last.. "aah... i see... okay.. I was gonna say..
'elements of animals?' that's kinda weird.."
I nod, "Yeh.."
The guy asks, "So what with these costumes?"
"Well, you know... folks dress up like Klingons and
stuff at Star Trek conventions, so some folks here like
to dress up like cartoons an' stuff.. Most of the
people here are artists or writers themselves, and
trying to break into the big time, so to speak.. Here's
where we all get together and see how each other's
doing..'
"Sounds okay.. "
"Yeh, it's fun if you're into it.."
A guy in a mangled cat costume with a spiked collar,
and leather bikini prances by.
I clear my throat.. "but mind you, some of these
people are just real fruity.." "yeah.. I gathered. To
each his own, I guess."
"Yup"

The only other 'mundanes' that I overheard were a small
group complaining about the elevators. I don't blame
them either.

S. arsenault
Yerf

sully @ yerf.com

Allen Kitchen

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98

Artax <bo...@address.com> wrote in article
<01bdbc31$3c33d090$59374bd1@home>...

> Oh, where to begin with this one?
>
> Okay, first, if anyone plans to reply to this please note the
> cross-post and remember to take either AFF or ALF out of the
> distribution.

ALF was the only distribution Artax. AFF wasn't on the list...
I hope you emailed Uncle Kage as well. He seems to make
this mistake alot.

Allen Kitchen (shockwave)

Artax

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98
Allen Kitchen wrote:
> Artax <bo...@address.com> wrote in article
> <01bdbc31$3c33d090$59374bd1@home>...
> > Oh, where to begin with this one?
> >
> > Okay, first, if anyone plans to reply to this please note the
> > cross-post and remember to take either AFF or ALF out of the
> > distribution.
>
> ALF was the only distribution Artax. AFF wasn't on the list...

I meant if anyone was planning to reply to the message I was
replying to, take either AFF or ALF out of the distribution.
Not if anyone was planning to reply to my message. I had
already taken AFF out when I replied.

> I hope you emailed Uncle Kage as well. He seems to make
> this mistake alot.

No, I haven't. I'm assuming Uncle Kage reads ALF since he just
posted to it. I certainly hope he reads it, anyway. I can't
imagine why someone would post to a newsgroup he doesn't even
read.

Allen Kitchen

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98

Artax <bo...@address.com> wrote in article

<01bdbc93$7ff72680$12364bd1@home>...

> I meant if anyone was planning to reply to the message I was
> replying to, take either AFF or ALF out of the distribution.

Ah. Understood. My error.

Allen Kitchen (shockwave)

Elf Sternberg

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98
In article <35C121...@you-know-the-drill.bellatlantic.net>
Kagemushi Goro <flog...@you-know-the-drill.bellatlantic.net> writes:

>Just the thoughts of a weary old insect.

And greatly appreciated, Kage. I find that even I forget that
the (to me) simple explanations I'm used to don't translate well;
you've found the righ way of saying it, and even in this age of "spin"
the right way of saying something is still a valuable commodity.
Thank you.

Elf

--

Elf M. Sternberg - www.halcyon.com/elf

I have looked into the abyss, and the abyss has looked into me.
Neither liked what we saw.
--- Brother Theodore

Bengal

Jul 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/31/98

Artax wrote in message <01bdbc93$7ff72680$12364bd1@home>...

>I meant if anyone was planning to reply to the message I was
>replying to, take either AFF or ALF out of the distribution.
>Not if anyone was planning to reply to my message. I had
>already taken AFF out when I replied.

Uhh... third base? ;)

Bengal

Dunkelzahn

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98

Aloha, Sully!

S. arsenault <su...@yerf.com> wrote in article
<35C1B9EE...@yerf.com>...
> Kagemushi Goro wrote:

*snip*

> The guy asks, "So what with these costumes?"
> "Well, you know... folks dress up like Klingons and
> stuff at Star Trek conventions, so some folks here like
> to dress up like cartoons an' stuff.

*The otter walks up unseen behind the two, wearing an Aloha shirt
that would blind Ray Charles, a lava-lava skirt and zhoris,
munching on a spam musubi.*

> Most of the
> people here are artists or writers themselves, and
> trying to break into the big time, so to speak.. Here's
> where we all get together and see how each other's
> doing..'
> "Sounds okay.. "
> "Yeh, it's fun if you're into it.."
> A guy in a mangled cat costume with a spiked collar,
> and leather bikini prances by.

*Ion waves to the passing kitty...*

> I clear my throat.. "but mind you, some of these
> people are just real fruity.." "yeah.. I gathered. To
> each his own, I guess."
> "Yup"

*Ion turns to Silfur, who is wearing his bunny ears and
dog collar.*

*MUNCH MUNCH* I dunno, Silfur...are we "fruity"?

> The only other 'mundanes' that I overheard were a small
> group complaining about the elevators. I don't blame
> them either.

Ya just gotta know the right chant to appease the
elevator gods, Scotty! And it's an "Ancient Lutrine Secret".

Hee hee hee!
====================O <==[Dunkelzahn, LogOut]