Happy Barefooting

CAR...@aol.com

Jul 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/10/97

Well, today I had some great barefoot experiences. I spent almost 3 hours
wandering around Roosevelt Mall here in NE Philadelphia, a rather large
outdoor mall. Went into many stores and was only kicked out of one (a Sam
Goody). Everyone else just seemed to look and let it go (as they should).
Still am not getting any comments, at least any directed at me in
conversation, though. I walked across asphalt parking lots with no problems
despite the 85 degree heat. I finally got up the nerve to approach a store
owner about the Barefeet OK! campaign. I had been wandering around the small
store, called Way Out!, for 20 minutes when I approached the proprietor and
asked if my bare feet were ok with her. She replied sure and I explained the
campaign to her. She was amused but cooperative and interested. A few hours
later, I brought back the paperwork for her to fill out. I'll pick it up on
Monday. So, that's one in Philly, and I have a few more lined up, now that
I've built up some confidence.
Then, on my way home, I stopped at a movie theatre (United Artists) to check
the time for tonight's shows. I was barefoot in the vestibule for 5 minutes
and I'm sure the employee saw me but said nothing. I then approached the
window and asked if she thought Men in Black would sell out tonight. She
said no. Then, I decided to try something. I asked her if I'd get kicked out.
She said, "Why?" I then displayed my bare feet which she apparently had not
noticed before. She said she didn't know but didn't think it would be a
problem. There was no sign in view. So, I'll be heading back in an hour to
see if I get in.
Happy Barefooting!

Dave

Jul 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/12/97

CAR525 wrote:

> UPDATE: Got kicked out of the movies, but got my money back. Since I was
> using gift certificates to payand got cash back, I'm actually up 6.50.
> That'll teach them. ;-)

Happily I can report I DID NOT have the same experience the one time
I've gone to the movies barefoot. I went to a $1.50 second run theater
in Birmingham, Alabama to see "Pulp Fiction" in summer '95. Walked from
the car, bought tickets and walked in completely barefoot all the way.
I was with someone else, which might have made a difference. I didn't
notice anyone noticing going in, and only a few customers noticed when I
left.

The theater is part of a major chain, and it was a busy night; probably
no one on staff was looking down. Because of the cinemuck on the
floors, I tried to keep my feet up, kind of wedged in the back of the
armrests between the seats, but didn't throw my feet up over the seat,
which A) I wouldn't do anyway and B) I thought it would provoke a
response for sure.

All told, though, that's the bravest barefooted thing I've ever done so
far!

Dave