Jogi by Khushi Muhammad Naazir; Can anyone post?

deh...@yahoo.com

Jul 26, 2008, 3:55:39 PM7/26/08
Friends, "Jogi" is one of the most beautiful poems in Urdu. Many
years have passed since I read it in a school textbook, and I still
remember quite a bit of it. If anyone can post the entire nazm, I
would really appreciate it. Zafar sahib, please take note.

I reproduce below some of the lines from memory. When, as a school
boy, I read the poem, I did not know the meanings or the correct
pronunciation of many of the words. That is still true, especially in
relation to the Hindi words in the poems, so please do point out my
mistakes.

kal sub'h ke matla' tabaan se jab 'alam buqa'-e-nuur hua
sab chaaNd sitaare maaNd huey Khurshiid ka nuur zahuur hua

janaana adaa-e-gulshan thi mastaana adaa-e-gulban thi
har vaadi vaadi-e-aiman thi har koh peh jalva-e-toor hua

jab baad-e-saba mizraab bani har shaaKh-e-nihaal rabaab bani
shmashad chinaar sitar bane har farsh sNjab-o-sumuur hua

sab taa'ir mil kar gaane lage 'irfaan ki taanen uRane lage
ashjaar bhi vajd meN aane lage dilkash vuh samaa'-e-tayuur hua

chiiRoN ne jhaNDe gaRe they parbat peh chhavai chaai thi
the Kheme Dere baadal ke kuhre ne qanaat lagai thi

vaan barf ke tode glte the chaNdi ke favaare chalte the
chashme siimaab ugalte the naaloN ne dhuum machaai thi
------------
[many missing lines]
---------
is haal meN ik pahaaRi par ja nikla Naazir divaana
----------------

vaan kallah-e-koh peh rehta tha ik mast qalaNdar beraagi
thi raakh jaToN men jogi ke aur aNg babhuut ramaai thi
tha raakh ka jogi ka bister aur raakh ka peraahan tan par
thi aik laNgoTi zeb-e-kamar jo ghuTnoN tak laTkaai thi

jogi se aaNkheN chaar huiiN to jhuk kar meN ne salam kia
tab aaNkh uTha kar Nazir se yuuN ban baasi ne kakaam kia

"kiyoN baba na haq tum ham to kis liye aa keh sitaate ho
ham paNkh pakheru ban baasi tum jaal meN aa kar phaNsate ho
ham hirs-o-hava ko chhoR chuke, is dunya se muNh moR chuke
ham jo zaNjiren toR chuke tum la ke vuhi pehNaate ho

---------------------

koi jhagRa daal chapaati ka, koi da'va ghoRe haathi ka
koi shikva saNgi saathi ka tum ham to aa keh sunaate ho"

-----------
----------
[Naazir then replies to this outburst. I remeber only one reply of
the reply]

--------
chal shehr meN saNkh baja jogi, bazaar men dhuuni rama jogi
--------
--------

[Jogi then replies}
---------
in chikni chupRi baatoN se jogi ko na phisla baba
jo aag lagaai jatnoN se us ko ab na jalaa baba

----------
hai paiT ka har dam dhiyaan tumheN aur yaad nahiN bhagvan tumheN
sil pather iiNT makan tumheN dete haiN sukhi se chuRaa baba
--------

[Not unexpectedly, jogi has the last word in the debate].

niyaazmaNd

Jamil

Naseer

Jul 27, 2008, 6:00:28 AM7/27/08

janaab-i-Jamil Sahib, aadaab 'arz hai.

kaash ham jaise log bhii aap awr Afzal Sahib jaisii yaad-daasht rakh
sakte!! You remember all this from your school days? Incredible! I
can't remember what I had for supper yesterday!!

"jogii" is indeed a beautiful poem and thank you for taking the time
and trouble to post it for the benefit of us ALUers. It would
certainly be a treat if someone could post the whole poem. In May
2007, I posted the same poet's poem entitled "paanii meN" which I took
from "A History of Urdu Literature" by Muhammad Sadiq. This is what he
had to say about Naazir.

KHushii Muhammad Naazir (1872-1944) who has a good many poems to his
credit is remembered today for his "Jogii" ( The Ascetic), a dramatic
poem in which a recluse justifies his renunciation. With the powerful
swing of the verse and apt use of Hindi words, Naazir has fully
succeeded in capturing the spirit of the Middle Ages".

I have tried to search for this poem on the internet and the following
link is the best that I have achieved. It does not take the contents
any further but does tell us that his daughter is in possession of his
full works and the son-in-law ( Hamid. A. Khan) can be contacted by e-
mail and is happy to provide the full poem. The difficulty is that I
could n't find this gentleman's e-mail address. I shall take another
look later.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75782188@N00/1420760337/

If no one else comes forward with the full poem, with your permission,
I shall make an attempt at correcting one or two typos.

Thank you for this lovely, musical poem.

KHair-andesh,
Naseer

Jamil

Jul 27, 2008, 2:42:59 PM7/27/08

Thank you, Naseer Sahib for finding that flickr post. I have added my
comments there in the hope that Khan Sahib sees them and posts the
whole poem. I continue to be amazed by the Internet: Khushi Muhammad
Naazir's son-in-law reachable by tapping on a keyboard? Seems too
good to be true.

It is a sad state of affairs that I could not find the poem even after
looking through most of the bookshops in Islamabad/Rawalpindi a few
months ago.

By all means, please correct my vowels (and other mistakes) in what I
posted of the poem. Some of the words, I have never heard spoken; I
only read them, and since Urdu script leaves out vowels, there must be
many mistakes in what I have typed.

niyaazmaNd

Jamil

Naseer

Jul 27, 2008, 4:34:01 PM7/27/08
janaab-i-muHtaram Jamil Sahib, tasliimaat.

On Jul 27, 7:42 pm, Jamil <dehq...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you, Naseer Sahib for finding that flickr post. I have added my
> comments there in the hope that Khan Sahib sees them and posts the
> whole poem. I continue to be amazed by the Internet: Khushi Muhammad
> Naazir's son-in-law reachable by tapping on a keyboard? Seems too
> good to be true.

Huzuur, is meN Hairaanii kii kyaa baat hai. kyaa internet kii ba-
daulat aap ne bahut sii ALUP-nagar kii shaKHsiyaat se vaaqifiyyat
Haasil nahiiN kii, jin meN mujh jaise miskiin bhii shaamil haiN? On a
serious note, yes I agree. Internet is a wonderful tool.

> It is a sad state of affairs that I could not find the poem even after
> looking through most of the bookshops in Islamabad/Rawalpindi a few
> months ago.

yih bhii ta'aajub kii baat nahiiN hai!!

> By all means, please correct my vowels (and other mistakes) in what I
> posted of the poem. Some of the words, I have never heard spoken; I
> only read them, and since Urdu script leaves out vowels, there must be
> many mistakes in what I have typed.

From the look of things it seems I shall not have to go through this
"mushaqqat"!!:)

KHair-KHvaah,
Naseer

ahmed....@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2008, 4:28:11 AM7/28/08

Assalam Alikum Ahbaab,

I am also very much interested in this poem and i do remember only few
stanza's from that poem which already written here.I remember i read
this poem in my 8th class urdu text book,published by Punjab Text book
board lahore and the year was 1993-1994,so if anyone can find that
text book he can find the complete poem there as well.
I am also trying to contact with Mr.Hamid A Khan and will ask for this
poem.
Thanks to Mr.Naseer for referring me to this group.

Salam'z

Fawad Ahmed

Jamil

Jul 28, 2008, 7:46:33 AM7/28/08

> Assalam Alikum Ahbaab,
>
> I am also very much interested in this poem and i do remember only few
> stanza's from that poem which already written here.I remember i read
> this poem in my 8th class urdu text book,published by Punjab Text book
> board lahore and the year was 1993-1994,so if anyone can find that
> text book he can find the complete poem there as well.
> I am also trying to contact with Mr.Hamid A Khan and will ask for this
> poem.
> Thanks to Mr.Naseer for referring me to this group.
>
> Salam'z
>
> Fawad Ahmed

Fawad Sahib

I've got the reply from Hamid Khan Sahib within half an hour of Naseer
sahib's post appearing with information of the flickr site. I waited
for Khan sahib's permission to share his email with ahbaab-e-ALUP.
Now that I have his permission, here is his letter, in which he
promises to post "Jogi" on his site.

The pictures he is referring to are on the site that Naseer Sahib
found for us.

niyaazmaNd

Jamil
:: Jogi

Dear Sir:
Assalam o alaikum

I would gladly send you the full text. I am away from home but have
asked my wife (Shamim Nazir) to send me the full text as well as a
scanned copy of her novle father's portrait painted in the times when
he was serving the State of Kashmir. Shamim has just one copy of his
Divaan.

Shamim was born in his last years and was just 10 years old when Nazir
Sahib passed away in Sirinagar and was burried in the lawns of his
estate there. I could never visit his grave and did not had the good
forune of meeting this faqeer. I met Shamim in 1956 and we were
married the next year in December of 1957, We have four children all
grown up. A recent family picture appears on flickr under the name
"family portrait" I am standing on extreme left and Shamim is sitting
in the center among her three daughter in laws, one daugter three sons
and two grand daughters and a son in law. other grand children could
not be harnessed for the picture.

Thank you for keeping the memory of a noble faqeer alive.
God bless you

Hamid A Khan

ahmed....@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2008, 9:24:02 AM7/28/08

Mohtaram Jamil Sb.

Thanks alot for your sharings, we are all waiting eagerly for the
complete poem.
Thanks to Mr.Hamid A Khan also for his interest and sharing of such
stuff.

Best Regards

Fawad Ahmed

ahmed....@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2008, 9:26:29 AM7/30/08

Salam,

Any update about the poem?

Regards

Jamil

Jul 30, 2008, 11:18:50 AM7/30/08
On Jul 30, 3:26 pm, ahmed.the...@gmail.com wrote:

> Any update about the poem?
>
> Regards

We are still waiting. Hamid A. Khan Sahib has promised to scan the 6
pages as 6 pictures and post them on his flickr site. Whenever the
process is complete and anyone of us comes to know about it, we will
post on ALUP.

All the best.

Jamil

Afzal A. Khan

Jul 30, 2008, 11:42:14 PM7/30/08

While all of us are eagerly awaiting the posting of "Jogi",
I have another poem of Chaudhury Khushi Mohammed Naazir,
which I propose to present here in due course.

Afzal

Jamil

Aug 2, 2008, 11:22:12 AM8/2/08
Friends, Hamid Khan Sahib has now posted the first 10 asha'ar of Jogi
at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75782188@N00/2724554578/

When the entire poem becomes available, I will request Naseer Sahib
(or whoever else is willing), to transliterate it from Urdu script
into Roman and post it in this thread.
It will also be very helpful if the meanings of the difficult words
are explained.

In the meantime, I am eagerly waiting for Afzal Sahib to post the
other poem by Khushi Muhammad Naazir.

niyaazmaNd

Jamil

Afzal A. Khan

Aug 2, 2008, 12:06:42 PM8/2/08

> Jamil

Actually, I was thinking of posting the other naz'm of Chaudhury
Khushi Mohammed Naazir AFTER his "Jogi" is posted and ALUPers
have had a chance to discuss it.

Afzal

Naseer

Aug 2, 2008, 12:19:08 PM8/2/08
janaab-i-Jamil Sahib, tasliimaat.

On Aug 2, 4:22 pm, Jamil <dehq...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Friends, Hamid Khan Sahib has now posted the first 10 asha'ar of Jogi
> at:http://www.flickr.com/photos/75782188@N00/2724554578/
>
> When the entire poem becomes available, I will request Naseer Sahib
> (or whoever else is willing), to transliterate it from Urdu script
> into Roman and post it in this thread.
> It will also be very helpful if the meanings of the difficult words
> are explained.

aap kaa Hukm sar aaNkhon pih. lekin maiN va'dah nahiiN kar saktaa kih
merii "transliteration" aGhlaat se paak ho gii. haaN, koshish yahii
rahe gii kih jahaaN tak mumkin ho, saHiiH ho. mushkil alfaaz ke ma'nii
bhii darj kar duuN gaa. awr jahaaN jahaaN maiN KHud aNdhere meN huuN
gaa, mujhe ummiid hai kih Afzal Sahib, UVR Sahib awr diigar aHbaab
merii madad ko aa jaaeN ge!

KHair-andesh,
Naseer

Jamil

Aug 8, 2008, 3:52:08 AM8/8/08

If the Jogi fatigue has not already set in, aHbaab-e-ALUP might be
interested to know that the second page of the poem has been posted by
Hamid Khan Sahib:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75782188@N00/2743559300/

Four more pages to go.

iraadatmaNd

Jamil

Naseer

Aug 8, 2008, 7:13:30 AM8/8/08
muHtaramii Jamil Sahib, aadaab 'arz hai.

On Aug 8, 8:52 am, Jamil <dehq...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If the Jogi fatigue has not already set in, aHbaab-e-ALUP might be
> interested to know that the second page of the poem has been posted by
> Hamid Khan Sahib:http://www.flickr.com/photos/75782188@N00/2743559300/
>
> Four more pages to go.

taa kih aHbaab-i-ALUP kii dil-chaspii sulagtii rahe awr ThaNDii ho kar
raakh nah ban jaae, agar aap chaaheN to maiN pahlii awr duusrii qistoN
kii transliteration pesh kar detaa huuN. is se yih bhii faa'idah ho
gaa kih ALUP-ers merii koshishoN kii KHaamiyaaN duur kar sakeN ge. is
ke ba'd jyoN jyoN Khan Sahib aglii qisteN pesh kareN ge tyoN tyoN maiN
un kii transliteration pesh kar duuN gaa. aaKHir meN tamaam islaaH-
shudah aqsaat ko yak-jaa kar ke aHbaab kii KHaatir ALUP meN mukammal
nazm chaspaaN kii jaa saktii hai.

to Jamil Sahib, yih bataaiye kih pahlii qist kii pahlii satar kii
tarkiib "....-i-nuur hu'aa" meN pahlaa lafz kyaa hai?

KHair-Khvaah,
Naseer

Raj Kumar

Aug 8, 2008, 11:18:53 AM8/8/08
On Aug 8, 4:13 am, Naseer <qures...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> to Jamil Sahib, yih bataaiye kih pahlii qist kii pahlii satar kii
> tarkiib "....-i-nuur hu'aa" meN pahlaa lafz kyaa hai?

yeh nazm maiN ne bhi bachpan meiN paRhii hu'ii hai aur jis lafz ke
baare meiN aap poochh rahe haiN, voh hai:

buq'a(h) or buqa'a(h) --- spelling [be (with pesh), qaaf, ain, he] and
meaning [a place, a house, etc.]

So, buqa'a-e-nuur = a house of light, an illuminated place, etc.

Raj Kumar

Jamil

Aug 8, 2008, 12:33:13 PM8/8/08

Naseer Sahib, "naikii aur puchh puuchh?" transliteration irshaad ho.
And yes the word is "buq'ah-e-nuur", meaning house of light. be-
qaaf-'ain-he.

If you start romanising it now, there will be no effect on the
integrity of the poem. In any case the poem has 4 parts or moods.
Each of these has its own style, vocabulary, and style of rhyming.
The first one, comprising the two pages already posted by Khan Sahib,
is the description of the beautiful scenery, which is the perfect
setting for the words of jogi to come. This part is replete with
metaphors, which were (and still are) not common in Urdu poetry:

jab baad-e-saba mizraab bani, har shaaKh-e-nihaal rabaab bani
shmshaad-o-chinaar sitaar huey har samv-o-saman taNbuur hua

The other characteristic that sets this poem apart from traditional
Urdu poetry is the description of nature in the first part. In Urdu
poetry (as in Farsi) there is very little mention of nature, such as
one finds for example in the poetry of Wordsworth. If beauty is
praised (other than a beloved's), it is that of a tendered gulshan or
tame chaman or neatly planted rows of roses. I would hazard a guess
that the first part of Jogi was inspired and influenced by English
poetry, which had become accessible to Indian poets educated in the
English language. This is not to belittle such poetry, since the
words, and taraakiib are very much steeped in tradition, and the
effect on the reader can be ecstatic unlike any that English can
produce.

When the poet sees the jogi, the vocabulary changes and just enough
Hindi words are used to alter the ambiance. One gets an ominous
feeling, even if one doesn't know the meanings (as I don't). Is it
bhabhuut or bhubhuut or bhabhot and what does it mean? Or does it
matter? The sound of the word is enough to evoke images of sadhus and
sanyaasis living a life devoted to meditation.

The second part of the poem is when the jogi chides the intruder for
disturbing him, and gives his reasons for becoming an ascetic. This is
a devastating censure of the worldly greed, selfishness, petty
jealousies and enmities and what we would now call the "rat race".

The intruder then tries to counter the jogi's arguments and tells him
why he should return to society and live the life to the fullest and
why he should experience the pains and pleasures of the world, rather
than be a dropout. It is the intruder and not the jogi who gets to
utter the poem's most eloquent line:
"chal sheher meN saNkh bajaa jogi, bazaar meN dhuuni ramaa jogi"

In the last and fourth part the Jogi counters the intruder's
arguments. His argument is that in fact inner peace is achieved by
turning one's attention away from one's material possessions:
"sil paththar iiNT makaan tumheN detey haiN sukhi se chhuRaa babaa"

Naazir leaves no doubt in our mind as to who the winner of the debate
it. The arguments of the jogi are weighty, and they are even more
relevant now than they were at the time the poem was written.

niyaazmaN

Jamil

Afzal A. Khan

Aug 8, 2008, 2:55:43 PM8/8/08
Jamil wrote:

> Naseer wrote:

Jamil Saheb,

With due respect, I would like to make a few observations.

I think the word is "bhabhoot". Also, "samv-o-saman" seems
to be a typo. Maybe it is "sarv-o-chaman".

Moreover, the belief (that "there is very little mention of
nature in Urdu poetry") is at best an over-simplication.
Perhaps writers like Maulana Haali and Maulvi Mohammed Husain
Aazaad helped in creating/promoting this belief. Since those
times, Urdu poetry should not be accused of such lack. In fact,
a few years back, I had mentioned in these pages that hackneyed
love poetry ("paamal aur farsooda mazaameen") being posted here
should also be supplemented by works where Indian experiences
and "nature" have been emphasised. And some months back, I had
myself posted quite a few poems of this nature (pun unintended).
If time permits, please go through them. And even before Haali
and Aazaad, we had Meer Anees who excelled in this respect. His
marsiyaas are replete with a large number of ash'aar which can be
classified in this category. Some years back, I had given the
example of Janaab Benazeer Shah who specialized in "poetry of and
about nature". His poems, belonging to this genre, also were
included in school text books of the twenties and thirties ---
I have myself read those text books.

As regards Urdu poets deriving inspiration from Wordsworth, I think
the issue requires much deeper study and research. Personally,
I have my own doubts in this regard. And, in my time, I have read
Wordsworth and other English poets too.

I believe Chaudhury Khushi Mohammed Naazir was first mentioned on
ALUP by Yours Truly, when I posted one of his ghazals in April this
year. Subsequently, I had posted a ghazal by one of his literary
devotees, where I had also mentioned that Chaudhury Saheb was at
that time the Administrative Head/Prime Minister or Governor of the
princely state of Kashmir, ruled then by the Dogra Maharaja Pratap
Singh. So, if the poet has mentioned "sarv-o-chaman", "shamshaad-
o-chinaar" etc., maybe we should ascribe the inspiration to
beautiful Kashmir. I had also been thinking about posting one of
his poems here --- and that too is linked to Kashmir.

Afzal

Message has been deleted

Naseer

Aug 8, 2008, 3:59:03 PM8/8/08
On Aug 8, 5:33 pm, Jamil <dehq...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Naseer Sahib, "naikii aur puchh puuchh?" transliteration irshaad ho.
> And yes the word is "buq'ah-e-nuur", meaning house of light. be-
> qaaf-'ain-he.

Gratitude is due to Raj Kumar Sahib and to you for this clarification.

Jamil Sahib, I have completed the task for qist 1, but I have some
serious doubts about the accuracy of a few of the lines. Your original
post differs markedly from that of Hamid.A.Khan's version. The lines
seem to me to be mixed up. Can you help?

KHair-KHvaah,
Naseer

Naseer

Aug 10, 2008, 6:05:11 AM8/10/08
janaab-i-Jamil Sahib, aadaab 'arz hai.

On Aug 8, 5:33 pm, Jamil <dehq...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Naseer Sahib, "naikii aur puchh puuchh?" transliteration irshaad ho.
> And yes the word is "buq'ah-e-nuur", meaning house of light. be-
> qaaf-'ain-he.

I think you and other ALUPers will have to to carry out a considerable
amount of chopping and changing to the nazm. I have used the version
provided by Hamid.A.Khan Sahib even though it differs substantially
from your version. I hasten to add also that your version makes more
sense in places.When we have the final version of "Jogii" in Roman-
Urdu, I shall cut/paste your and other ALUPers' comments with it, so
that most if not all the information regarding it is one place.

Jogii (qist 1)

kal subH ke matla'-i-taabaaN se jab 'aalam buq'ah-i-nuur hu'aa
sab chaaNd sitaare maaNd hu'e KHurshiid kaa nuur zuhuur hu'aa

mastaanah havaa-i-gulshan thii jaanaanah adaa-i-gulban thii
har vaadii vaadii-i-aiman thii har koh pih jalvah-i-tuur hu'aa

jab baad-i-sabaa mizraab banii har shaaKH-i-nihaal rabaab banii
shamshaad-o-chanaar sitaar hu'e har sarv-o-saman tuyuur hu'aa

sab taa'ir mil kar gaane lage mastaanah vuh taaneN uRaane lage
ashjaar bhii vajd meN aane lage gulzaar bhii bazm-i-suruur hu'aa

sabze ne bisaat bichhaaii thii awr bazm-i-nashaat sajaaii thii
ban meN gulshan meN aaNgan meN farsh sanjaab-o-samuur hu'aa

thaa dil-kash manzar-i-baaGh-i-jahaaN awr chaal sabaa kii mastaanah
is Haal meN ek pahaaRii par jaa niklaa Naazir diivaanah

matla'-i-taabaaN=refulgent/glittering/splendid sky
'aalam=the world {here, this particular region}
buq'ah-i-nuur= luminous spot
zuhuur hu'aa=became manifest
mastaanah=like an intoxicated person/charming/staggering (motion)
jaanaanah=like a sweetheart/beloved
gulban=garden (some would say gul-bun, the root of a rose tree)
vaadii-i-aiman= the Sinai valley lying on the right hand side of the
tuur mountain (see next entry)
jalvah-i-tuur=the spectacle on the mountain of tuur when prophet
Moses(p.b.u.h) asked God to manifest himself to him and a brilliant
light dazzled him and he fainted. God said, "lan-taraanii" which means
something like "you will never see me".
baad-i-sabaa=morning breeze (the zephyr)
mizraab=plectrum
nihaal=sapling
rabaab= stringed musical instrument
shamshaad=box tree
chanaar=poplar tree
sarv-o-saman=cypress tree and Jassamine
tuyuur=birds
taa'ir=bird
ashjaar=trees
vajd=ecstacy/rapture
gul-zaar=garden (a place abounding in flowers)
bazm-i-suruur=gathering of joy
bisaat=capet (in the context here)
bazm-i-nashaat=gathering of delight
sanjaab-o-samuur=ermine and sable skin
diivaanah=frenzied lover

KHair-KHvaah,
Naseer

Afzal A. Khan

Aug 10, 2008, 10:29:02 AM8/10/08
Naseer wrote:

> janaab-i-Jamil Sahib, aadaab 'arz hai.

> I have used the version

> provided by Hamid.A.Khan Sahib even though it differs substantially
> from your version. I hasten to add also that your version makes more
> sense in places.

> Naseer

I agree entirely with you that Jamil Saheb's version is more
authentic (if that is the word) than the other one.

Afzal

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Naseer

Aug 10, 2008, 7:26:55 PM8/10/08

janaab-i-Afzal Sahib, aadaab 'arz hai.

I hope janaab-i-Jamil Sahib and janaab-i-Hamid.A.Khan Sahib are able
to agree to the"difinitive" Jogi nazm; perhaps through private
communication.

Here is the second installment.

Jogi (qist 2)

chiiRoN ne jhaNDe gaaRe the parbat par chhaaonii chhaaii thii
the KHaime Dere baadal ke kuhr ne qanaat lagaaii thii

yaaN barf ke tode galte the chaaNdii ke favvaare chalte the
chashme siimaab ugalte the naaloN ne dhuum machaaii thii

ik mast-qalandar jogii ne parbat par Deraa Daalaa thaa
thii raakh jaTaa meN jogii kii awr aaNg bhabuut ramaaii thii

thaa raakh kaa jogii kaa bistar awr raakh kaa pairaahan tan par
thii ik laNgoTii zeb-i-kamar jo ghuTnoN tak laTkaaii thii

sab KHalq-i-KHudaa se begaanah vuh mast-qalandar diivaanah
baiThaa thaa jogii mastaanah aaNkhoN meN mastii chhaaii thii

jogii se aaNkheN chaar hu'iiN awr jhuk kar ham ne salaam kiyaa
tiikhe chitvan se jogii ne tab Naazir se yih kalaam kiyaa

chiiR= pine tree
chhaaonii chhaanaa= be encamped
qanaat= tent wall
siimaab= mercury/quicksilver
qalandar= person not tied down by religious or worldy conventions/free-
thinker
jaTaa=matted hair
aaNg=aNg= limb/body
bhabhuut/bhabuut= cow-dung ash
ramaanaa= ?
pairaahan= dress
KHalq-i-KHudaa= God's creation
begaanah= oblivious
tiikhe chitvan se= with a frown

KHair Khvaah,
Naseer

Jamil

Aug 11, 2008, 12:00:21 PM8/11/08

Afzal Sahib

Your point is valid in that indeed there have been poems written that
have addressed "Indian experiences and Nature", but these have not
been plentiful, particularly before the start of movement of "natural
shaa'iri", which you alluded to. Your own posting of such poems in
threads with headings such as "Forgotten and Unappreciated Poets"
testifies to this.

Perhaps the reason is that the predominant genre of Urdu poetry,
namely ghazal, doesn't lend itself to detailed descriptions of the
type we are talking about. Nevertheless, if one opens Mir's book
randomly one will find on every page at least one or two couplets
mentioning chaman, gulistan, gul, or baagh. This is an example of
what I said about Urdu poetry talking of tended and cultivated
gardens, but not of wild beauty out there, unless it is to symbolize
desolation and destruction with such terms as viiraanah, dasht,
bayaabaaN, seHraa.

I do realize that you mentioned Khushi Muhammad Naazir on ALUP earlier
on. It was from your posts that I found out that he used "Chaudhury"
before his name and that he also wrote other poems and ghazals besides
"Jogi".

When I was in College, I heard an anecdote from my chemistry professor
about his own experience when he was a student of the eminent
academic, Professor Bhatnagar (of Government College, Lahore in pre-
independence days). According to the story, the graduates of my
teacher's generation knew only the first two laws of thermodynamics
and knew little about the Third Law. Apparently when the eminent
scientist reached the stage where he was to begin teaching the third
law, his students would say almost on cue, "Sir, we want to hear
Jogi". The professor would start reciting the poem and he never got
the time to teach the rest of thermodynamics.

Jamil

Jamil

Aug 11, 2008, 12:16:12 PM8/11/08

Thank you, Naseer Sahib for posting the roman version of the first two
installments of the poem, and for giving the meanings of difficult
words. But "refulgent", "plectrum", "ermine"? One needs yet another
dictionary.

What I posted was from memory; it is unlikely to be accurate.
Nevertheless the following line in what you transliterated does not
seem to be correct. The word is likely to be "taNbuur" rather than
"tuyuur", otherwise the metaphor would be mixed and the meter would be
flawed, unless one reads the word as "tuyyuur", which would be a
stretch:

"shamshaad-o-chanaar sitaar hu'e har sarv-o-saman tuyuur hu'aa"

Also a minor typo in the meanings needs to be pointed out: it should
be carpet, rather than capet (bisaat).

I am glad that even though you posted Hamid Khan Sahib's version
(which was the correct thing to do), you did make an obviously needed
change: "chiRoN" rather than "chiloN". In the context of planting
flags, the former is more logical.
The meter demands another change: In the second line above, the word
may be "kuhray" rather than "kuhr".

ramaana: "A jogi's burning of something"

We look forward to the rest of the poem, and your transliteration.

Jamil

Afzal A. Khan

Aug 11, 2008, 2:49:53 PM8/11/08

I agree with Jamil Saheb's comment. I think the naz'm can
be far more enjoyable if readers concentrate on the sense,
rather than a literal translation.

> What I posted was from memory; it is unlikely to be accurate.
> Nevertheless the following line in what you transliterated does not
> seem to be correct. The word is likely to be "taNbuur" rather than
> "tuyuur", otherwise the metaphor would be mixed and the meter would be
> flawed, unless one reads the word as "tuyyuur", which would be a
> stretch:
> "shamshaad-o-chanaar sitaar hu'e har sarv-o-saman tuyuur hu'aa"

The word should indeed be "tan(m)boor" which is a musical
instrument. At times, it is also spelt with a "he" at the
end. The word here has to be in consonance with other
musical metaphors like "mizraab", "rabaab" and "sitaar".

> I am glad that even though you posted Hamid Khan Sahib's version
> (which was the correct thing to do), you did make an obviously needed
> change: "chiRoN" rather than "chiloN". In the context of planting
> flags, the former is more logical.

I feel the word should be spelt as "cheeR", rather than "chiR"
or "chiRoN" (in plural form). The reference obviously is to
the Pine trees which are found in abundance in that region.
"CheeR" is a tall stately tree and the tarkeeb "jhaN'De gaaR'na"
goes well with it.

> The meter demands another change: In the second line above, the word
> may be "kuhray" rather than "kuhr".

From a linguistic angle too, "kuhre" (or "kohre" is a better
choice.

> ramaana: "A jogi's burning of something"

"Bhabhoot ramaana" means a sort of ritual act of smearing one's
body with ashes, which ascetics are wont to do. The sense of
"burning something" may not be quite appropriate here. "Dhooni
ramaana" is something else, which conjures up images of Burning
something (like incense) with resulting fumes/smoke.

Afzal

Naseer

Aug 13, 2008, 1:54:26 PM8/13/08
Dear ALUPers, aadaab.

I have enquired from janaab-i-Hamid.A.Khan Sahib if Chaudhary KHushii
Muhammad Naazir's kalaam was published in his life time and if this
was the case, if he had seen the publication and approved himself for
its accuracy. This is the reply from Hamid.A.Khan Sahib.

.......... his diwaan under the name of "Naghma-e-Firdos" was
published in two parts by his confidant and friend Maulvi Ibraheem
Sahib (pleader) of Sirinagar Kashmir. A few copies of the same were
placed in Sirinagar Main Library. Then after the partition of India
much after the demise of Choudhry Khushi Mohammad Nazir Sahib another
Diwan was published in (Arabic font print) by his grand daughter's
husband Mr. Ch. Abdul Hameed which was ditto copy of the original
Nagham-e-Firdos published by Maulvi Ibrahim at Sirinagar but it was
combined in one book instead of two. Later Ch. Amjad (grandson) s/o
Ch. Hameedullah Sahib of Bahawalpur s/o Ch. Khushi Mohammad Nazir
Sahib was published in its present form at Lahore. My wife says that
Amjad Sahib deleted some verses from Jogi and other poems which
contained overwhelming Hindi or Sanskrit words, perhaps because he
could not understand them. Hence there may be a contradiction in two
compilations. The original two Naghma e Firdoa Hissa Awal and Doem
were with my wife but got lost during her move from Pakistan to USA in
1980. However Ch. Abdul Hameed Sahib the second publisher at Lahore
(the husband of Nazir Sahib's grand daughter) must have the original
in its pristine form. I will try to contact him and connect him to you
and others.

KHair-KHvaah,
Naseer

edwar...@yahoo.com

Aug 31, 2008, 6:47:36 PM8/31/08
> Fawad Ahmed- Hide quoted text -

Naseer

Aug 31, 2008, 10:43:17 PM8/31/08

Edward jii, aadaab.

aap ne kuchh kahaa?

Naseer

Naseer

Sep 2, 2008, 3:57:36 AM9/2/08
janaab-i-Jamil Sahib, aadaab 'arz hai.

is gaaRii ko "dhakkaa start" karne kii zaruurat hai. varnah us Jogii
kii tarH tamaam "ALUPers" bhii is maHfil ko KHair-baad kah deN ge.
KHudaa-raa kuchh kijie!!

KHair-andesh,
Naseer

Naseer

Oct 11, 2008, 9:03:16 AM10/11/08
Haaziriin-i-maHfil, aadaab 'arz haqi.

yuuN maHsuus hotaa hai kih ek 'arsah guzar chukaa hai jab Jogi kii
duusrii qist janaab-i-Hamid.A.Khan Sahib ne pesh kii thii. un ke blog
par maiN ne un se in alfaaz meN iltijaa bhii kii hai magar afsos se
kahnaa paRtaa hai kih abhii tak koii javaab mausuul nahiiN hu'aa.
KHudaa nah kare vuh biimar paR gae hoN.

muHtaramii-o-mukarramii Hamid Sahib, assalaamu 'alaikum.

mujhe ma'luum hai kih maah-i-ramazaan hai awr yaqiin-an badan meN
utnii tavaanaaii nahiiN hotii jitnii kih 'aam-taur par hotii
hai ...phir bhii janaab ek maah kaa
taviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiil 'arsah ho
gayaa hai awr ab tak ham be-sabrii se, be-chainii se, baRii ummiid se
aap ke is blog par nazareN bichhaae hu'e haiN kih aaj "Jogii" kaa
aglaa Hissah chhape gaa. magar afsos hai kih yih aaj aaj karte bahut
der ho ga'ii hai. lillaah, ham par qadre raHm kiijiye. 'ain navaazish
ho gii. DheroN du'aaeN deN ge is ke sile meN ham aap ko! ab aap hii
bataaiye, ham maziid kyaa kar sakte haiN?

iHsaan-mand,
Naseer

ek Edward Rai Sahib ne mujh se nijii e-mail ke zarii'e isii mauzuu'
par baat kii hai. mumkin hai kih vuh Hamid.A.Khan Sahib se bi_lvaasta
raabitah qaa'im kareN. dekhte haiN kyaa natiijah nikaltaa hai.
fi_lHaal maiN in do qistoN ko yak-jaa kar ke pesh kar rahaa huuN.
qausain meN janaab-i-Jamil Sahib ke "version" ke alfaaz haiN.

Jogii

kal subH ke matla'-i-taabaaN se jab 'aalam buq'ah-i-nuur hu'aa
sab chaaNd sitaare maaNd hu'e KHurshiid kaa nuur zuhuur hu'aa

mastaanah havaa-i-gulshan thii jaanaanah adaa-i-gulban thii
har vaadii vaadii-i-aiman thii har koh pih jalvah-i-tuur hu'aa

jab baad-i-sabaa mizraab banii har shaaKH-i-nihaal rabaab banii

shamshaad-o-chanaar sitaar hu'e har sarv-o-saman tanbuur hu'aa

sab taa'ir mil kar gaane lage mastaanah vuh taaneN uRaane lage
ashjaar bhii vajd meN aane lage gulzaar bhii bazm-i-suruur hu'aa

(sab taa'er mil kar gaane lage 'irfaan kii taaneN uRaane lage
ashjaar bhi vajd men aane lage, dil-kash vuh samaa'-i-tuyuur hu'aa)

sabze ne bisaat bichhaaii thii awr bazm-i-nashaat sajaaii thii
ban meN gulshan meN aaNgan meN farsh sanjaab-o-samuur hu'aa

(ban men gulshan men aangan men,har farsh sanjaab-o-samuur hu'aa)

thaa dil-kash manzar-i-baaGh-i-jahaaN awr chaal sabaa kii mastaanah
is Haal meN ek pahaaRii par jaa niklaa Naazir diivaanah

(thaa dil-kash manzar-i-dasht-o-jabal awr chaal sabaa kii mastaanah)

chiiRoN ne jhaNDe gaaRe the parbat par chhaaonii chhaaii thii

the KHaime Dere baadal ke kuhre ne qanaat lagaaii thii

yaaN barf ke tode galte the chaaNdii ke favvaare chalte the
chashme siimaab ugalte the naaloN ne dhuum machaaii thii

ik mast-qalandar jogii ne parbat par Deraa Daalaa thaa
thii raakh jaTaa meN jogii kii awr aaNg bhabuut ramaaii thii

thaa raakh kaa jogii kaa bistar awr raakh kaa pairaahan tan par
thii ik laNgoTii zeb-i-kamar jo ghuTnoN tak laTkaaii thii

sab KHalq-i-KHudaa se begaanah vuh mast-qalandar diivaanah
baiThaa thaa jogii mastaanah aaNkhoN meN mastii chhaaii thii

jogii se aaNkheN chaar hu'iiN awr jhuk kar ham ne salaam kiyaa
tiikhe chitvan se jogii ne tab Naazir se yih kalaam kiyaa

kyoN baabaa naa-Haq Jogii ko tum kis liye aa ke sataate ho
haiN paNkh-pakheruu ban-baasii tum jaal meN in ko phaNsaate ho

koii jhagRaa daal-chapaatii kaa koii da'vaa ghoRe-haathii kaa
koii shikvaa saNgii-saathii kaa tum ham ko sunaane aate ho

ham Hirs-o-havaa ko chhoR chuke us nagrii se muNh moR chuke
ham jo zanjiireN toR chuke tum laa ke vahii pahnaate ho

(To be continued)

[...]

tumbuur=tambourine

taa'ir=bird
ashjaar=trees
vajd=ecstacy/rapture
gul-zaar=garden (a place abounding in flowers)
bazm-i-suruur=gathering of joy

bisaat=carpet (in the context here)
bazm-i-nashaat=gathering of delight
sanjaab-o-samuur=ermine and sable fur
diivaanah=frenzied lover

chiiR= pine tree
chhaaonii chhaanaa= be encamped
qanaat= tent wall
siimaab= mercury/quicksilver
qalandar= person not tied down by religious or worldy conventions
/free-thinker
jaTaa=matted hair
aaNg=aNg= limb/body

bhabhuut/bhabuut ramaanaa= a sort of ritual act of smearing one's
body with cow-dung ash,which ascetics are wont to do

pairaahan= dress
KHalq-i-KHudaa= God's creation
begaanah= oblivious
tiikhe chitvan se= with a frown

naa-Haq (aiveN-ii :) )
paNkh-pakheruu= birds
ban-baasii=forest-dwellers
Hirs-o-Havaa= greed and desire/lust

Afzal Sahib, this might be an opportune moment for you to present the
other KHushii Nazir poem you promised earlier. This will make the wait
for remainder of the Jogi poem less painful.

KHair-andesh,
Naseer

Naseer

Oct 17, 2008, 10:24:54 AM10/17/08
Haaziriin-i-maHfil, aadaab 'arz hai

In a recent post, this is how I addressed janaab-i-Afzal Sahib
concerning this poem.

jii haaN, is meN ko'ii shak nahiiN kih maiN bhii diigar aHbaab kii
tarH is nazm kii kaamil shakl dekhne kaa mutamannii thaa lekin afsos
kii baat hai kih yih tamanaa abhii tak puurii nahiiN hu'ii. is ke baa-
vujuud maiN ab bhii ummiid rakhe hu'aa huuN kih go janaab-i-
Hamid.A.Khan ko ko'ii nah ko'ii majbuurii ho gii jis ke baa'is vuh yih
nazm ham tak pahuNchaa nahiiN paa'e haiN, aaj nahiiN to kal hamaaraa
sabr rang laae gaa awr yih iztiraab KHatm ho jaa'e gaa.

So, dear ALUPers, hamaara sabr zaruur rang laayaa hai.Jamil Sahib,
with your permission, here is the next installment.

haiN ham pardesii sailaanii yuuN aaNkh nah ham se churaa jogii
ham aa'e haiN tere darshan ko chitvan par mail nah laa jogii

aabaadii se muNh pheraa kyoN? jangal meN kiyaa hai Deraa kyoN
har maHfil meN har manzil meN har dil meN nuur-i-KHudaa jogii

kyaa masjid meN kyaa mandir meN sab jalvah hai vajhu_llaah kaa
parbat meN nagar meN saagar meN haratra(?) hai har-jaa jogii

jii shahr meN KHuub bahaltaa hai vaaN Husn pih 'ishq machaltaa hai
vaaN prem kaa saagar chaltaa hai chal dil kii pyaas bujhaa jogii

vaaN dil kaa Ghunchah khiltaa hai galiyoN meN Mohan miltaa hai
chal shahr meN saNkh bajaa jogii baazaar meN dhuunii ramaa jogii

phir jogii jii bedaar hu'e is chheR ne itnaa kaam kiyaa
phir 'ishq ke is matvaale ne yih vaHdat kaa ik jaam diyaa

KHair-KHvaah,
Naseer

Jamil

Oct 17, 2008, 1:52:00 PM10/17/08

Naseer Sahib

Thank you for continuing to do the good work. This leaves only one
installment - comprising the Jogi's reply to Naazir. Of course, we
will wait eagerly for it. In these time of greed, turmoil, conflict
and violence, the words that Naazir puts in Jogi's mouth can bring
great solace.

As for the word in the line:

> parbat meN nagar meN saagar meN haratra(?) hai har-jaa jogii

It is "har utra hai har jaa jogi". Har is Vishnu, Krishn, or God.
There is a nice play on words: har utraa hai har jaa.

In case ALUPers want to read the poem in Urdu script, here is the
link to Hamid Khan Sahib's page with the latest installment.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75782188@N00/2944844730/in/photostream/

I am confident that Khan Sahib would appreciate any comments left
there.

Thanks again, Naseer Sahib

Jamil

Naseer

Oct 17, 2008, 2:39:01 PM10/17/08
janaab-i-Jamil Sahib, aadaab-o-tasliimaat.

On Oct 17, 6:52 pm, Jamil <dehq...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In these time of greed, turmoil, conflict
> and violence, the words that Naazir puts in Jogi's mouth can bring
> great solace.

I could not agree more with these sentiments.

> As for the word in the line:

> > parbat meN nagar meN saagar meN haratra(?) hai har-jaa jogii

> It is "har utra hai har jaa jogi". Har is Vishnu, Krishn, or God.
> There is a nice play on words: har utraa hai har jaa.

Thank you for the correction. I shall incorporate this in the final
version. Yes, it is wonderful play on words "...Har( i )utraa hai har-
jaa jogii".

I have a query on another word.

> > jii shahr meN KHuub bahaltaa hai vaaN Husn pih 'ishq machaltaa hai
> > vaaN prem kaa saagar chaltaa hai chal dil kii pyaas bujhaa jogii

Do we have "saaGhar" here in place of "saagar"? I have a novel called
"merii kahaanii" by M.Aslam at home and this shi'r is quoted with the
word "saaGhar" there although Hamid.A.Khan Sahib's post indicates it
as "saagar".

KHair-KHvaah,
Naseer

UVR

Oct 17, 2008, 6:41:08 PM10/17/08
On Oct 17, 11:39 am, Naseer <qures...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 17, 6:52 pm, Jamil <dehq...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > As for the word  in the line:
> > > parbat meN nagar meN saagar meN haratra(?) hai har-jaa jogii
> > It is "har utra hai har jaa jogi".  Har is Vishnu, Krishn, or God.
> > There is a nice play on words: har utraa hai har jaa.
>
> Thank you for the correction. I shall incorporate this in the final
> version. Yes, it is wonderful play on words "...Har( i )utraa hai har-
> jaa jogii".
>
> KHair-KHvaah,
> Naseer

Naseer aur Jamil saahibaan,

Not that it makes any difference to our interpretation of this line,
nor to the interestingness of the play on words, but I just wanted to
point out that "har" and "hari" are two distinct manifestations of the
Supreme Being.

Hari = Vishnu, Krishna (as a Vishnu avatar) is generally considered
the Preserver and Perpetuator of all Creation
Har(a) = Shiva, Rudra, Ishwar is considered the Destroyer.

(Destroyer != Evil or Negative Force.)

Unfortunately, due to the peculiarities of the Urdu script, this
subtle distinction s often ignored and har is treated as the same
thing as hari.

-UVR.

Afzal A. Khan

Oct 17, 2008, 11:13:44 PM10/17/08
UVR wrote:

> Naseer aur Jamil saahibaan,
>
> Not that it makes any difference to our interpretation of this line,
> nor to the interestingness of the play on words, but I just wanted to
> point out that "har" and "hari" are two distinct manifestations of the
> Supreme Being.
>
> Hari = Vishnu, Krishna (as a Vishnu avatar) is generally considered
> the Preserver and Perpetuator of all Creation
> Har(a) = Shiva, Rudra, Ishwar is considered the Destroyer.
>
> (Destroyer != Evil or Negative Force.)
>
> Unfortunately, due to the peculiarities of the Urdu script, this
> subtle distinction s often ignored and har is treated as the same
> thing as hari.
>
> -UVR.

Interesting observation. The war-cry "Har Har Mahadev" always
referred to Shiva and never to Vishnu.

I don't know much about these things, but I doubt whether
"Har" is used for Vishnu. I think it is usually, if not always,
"Hari", i.e. an 'i' is added at the end. For instance, people
say "Hari Murari", not "Har Murari".

Afzal

Jamil

Oct 18, 2008, 5:20:34 AM10/18/08

Judging from the context, it has to be Saagar and not saaGhar. Prem
ka saaGhar would be discordant. Also, the rest of the words are all
Hindi.

UVR Sahib and Afzal Sahib: Is the word har the same as in the name
Harbhajan, Harminder. How about Hari (as in Bartari Hari and Hari
Chand Akhtar)? Is this also connected to the chant "Hare Krishna,
Hare Raam"?

Jamil

Naseer

Oct 18, 2008, 6:55:56 AM10/18/08
A little more information from janaab-i-Hamid.A.Khan's Flickr site.

"jogi is the title of a famous poem which remained a part of Urdu
syllabus in British India and Pakistani universities for almost 6
decades until mid sixties. It was composed by my late father in law
Ch. Khushi Mohammad Nazir Sahib ex-Governor of Kashmir and Chief
Minister of Rampur State. He passed away in 1945-46 and I did not have
the honor of meeting him. He was a great Sufi and his poetry
collection is very much in demand its name is "Naghma e Firdaus" "The
song of Paradise".. I am receiving mail almost on daily basis from
every continent asking me to post all of his poetry. Even the state
Library has approached me. But I do not have the book. My wife has a
copy and she would not part with it for a mountain of gold. I have
written to her to let me have a photo copy of the book but she is all
the time traveling. She just returned from France and England and is
now on her way to Canada. Hopefully she will return to Tennessee soon
and I will then have the copy made myself. "

KHair-KHvaah,
Naseer

Afzal A. Khan

Oct 18, 2008, 12:58:47 PM10/18/08
Naseer wrote:

Naseer Saheb,

Thanks for this information.

If it is assumed that the book in question has been out of print
for a long long time and there is no way one can retrieve Naazir
Saheb's kalaam, it is surprising to see the reluctance on the
part of his own daughter not to make public the contents of the
book. With modern technology, it should not be difficult to
get copies of the book and/or to put it on the computer. I think
we owe it to the late Chaudhury Saheb to have his kalaam made
available to an admiring public. Just imagine, if Ghalib or Mir's
family members had displayed the same sort of reluctance to part
with their kalaam !

Afzal

Jamil

Oct 18, 2008, 2:22:03 PM10/18/08
On Oct 18, 12:41 am, UVR <u...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, due to the peculiarities of the Urdu script, this
> subtle distinction s often ignored and har is treated as the same
> thing as hari.
>
> -UVR.

I thought that between har and hari as written in Urdu there should be
no confusion. Hari is with a chhoTi ye at the end and har is without
one.

Jamil Ahmad

Naseer

Oct 25, 2008, 10:08:34 AM10/25/08
On Oct 18, 5:58 pm, "Afzal A. Khan" <me_af...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Naseer wrote:
> > A little more information from janaab-i-Hamid.A.Khan's Flickr site.
>
> > "jogi is the title of a famous poem which remained a part of Urdu
> > syllabus in British India and Pakistani universities for almost 6
> > decades until mid sixties. It was composed by my late father in law
> > Ch. Khushi Mohammad Nazir Sahib ex-Governor of Kashmir and Chief
> > Minister of Rampur State. He passed away in 1945-46 and I did not have
> > the honor of meeting him. He was a great Sufi and his poetry
> > collection is very much in demand its name is "Naghma e Firdaus" "The
> > song of Paradise".. I am receiving mail almost on daily basis from
> > every continent asking me to post all of his poetry. Even the state
> > Library has approached me. But I do not have the book. My wife has a
> > copy and she would not part with it for a mountain of gold. I have
> > written to her to let me have a photo copy of the book but she is all
> > the time traveling. She just returned from France and England and is
> > now on her way to Canada. Hopefully she will return to Tennessee soon
> > and I will then have the copy made myself. "
>
> Thanks for this information.
>
> If it is assumed that the book in question has been out of print
> for a long long time and there is no way one can retrieve Naazir
> Saheb's kalaam, it is surprising to see the reluctance on the
> part of his own daughter not to make public the contents of the
> book. With modern technology, it should not be difficult to
> get copies of the book and/or to put it on the computer. I think
> we owe it to the late Chaudhury Saheb to have his kalaam made
> available to an admiring public. Just imagine, if Ghalib or Mir's
> family members had displayed the same sort of reluctance to part
> with their kalaam !

janaab-i-Afzal Sahib, aadaab 'arz hai.

It seems that things have taken a turn for the better. On the Flikr
site, Hamid .A. Khan Sahib has responded to a comment by a lady called
Asma in the following words. I have edited his messsage slightly.

Asma:-

I hope the copy and wife comes soon :) It was pleasure reading through
it ... thank for sharing with us !

Hamid.A.Khan Sahib

Asma: your comment is hilarious. Neither of the two came However I
have found another source, hopefully I might gat hold of one copy
after all.Ch. Khushi Mohammad Nazir's poetry is down to earth and is
pregnant with Sufism. It is evident that he, despite his worldly
success, was a man of God. May Allah bless his soul.

KHair-KHvaah,
Naseer

Jamil

Dec 11, 2008, 4:46:53 PM12/11/08

Just when we had lost all hope about Jogi, and in the words of a
recent post, when our Khaahish, which had changed to aarzuu, and then
took the form of iltejaa, finally seemed to have become an armaan, I
get this email from Kamran Siddiqi Sahib. Siddiqi Sahib has allowed
me to share the email with other friends at ALUP. He has also
promised Jogi by email. I am confident that it is not another mirage,
and we will get the poem.

I have sent him the links to Khushi Muhammad Naazir's other poems,
which were posted on ALUP by Afzal Sahib.

The grandfather that Kamran Sahib mentions is none other than
Professor Rashid Ahmed Siddiqi, eminent author and critic.

Jamil

Kamran Siddiqi Sahib writes:

"Dear fellow-traveller,
for some inexplicable reason, for the first time ever, I decided to
look for Chaudhry Khushi Mohammad on google. Lo and behold, i found
all these emails.
I have the full Urdu text of the original jogi poem written around
1903 (I believe) and the second one around 1932 or 33. the first part
is called 'Jogi, hissa awwal, naghma-e-haqeeqat'. The later part is
'Jogi, hissa doam, tarana-e-wahdat'. I can send to you/others if you
want.
Chaudhry saheb was in the first or possibly second batch of the
Aligarh Muslim University. He was apparently a tall man, and given
his poetic bent, he was affectionately called 'Longfellow' by his
friends at the AMU. My grandfather, an Urdu writer and critic of some
note, who was also the Head of the Urdu department at AMU, used to
narrate a story about Chaudhary saheb - Chaudhary saheb, like all
before and after him, had a deep and abiding affection for the AMU.
One time when he had come for a class reunion, late in life, he
addressed the alumni and said, "main Aligarh is tarah aya hoon jaise
dulhan apnay maikay aati hai.'
This great poem, Jogi, was taught by my grandfather to my father, and
from my father to me. It has always been a big part of our life, and
my inspiration. It sits by my bedside, and when in need for
perspective and inspiration, I read it. Not sure why I read it,
because I have long since committed it to memory.
I am very keen to get hold of other works of this great man - but cant
find it anywhere.
Regards,
Kamran Siddiqi"

Afzal A. Khan

Dec 11, 2008, 6:06:15 PM12/11/08

Jamil Saheb,

Yeh baRi KHushi ki baat hai. Kamran Saheb ne Marhoom Chaudhury
Saheb ke doosre kalaam ki KHwaahish zaahir ki hai. Ummeed hai
aap ne Kashmir ke muta'alliq jo naz'm maiN ne yahaan post ki thi,
use un ke paas pahuNcha diya hoga.

Afzal

Naseer

Dec 11, 2008, 6:47:54 PM12/11/08

janaab-i-Jamil Sahib, aadaab 'arz hai.

Did you say we we had all lost hope? janaab agar "dunyaa ummiid par
qaa'im hai" to aap hamaarii ummiid (oN) par kyoN paanii pher rahe
haiN?:) Once again, the power of the internet must have amazed you no
end! Like Afzal Sahib, and I am sure there are many other like minded
"invisible"* persons, I am also pleased that Hamid.A.Khan ke 'ilaavah
ek awr KHudaa kaa bandah is laRii meN ba-raah-i-"KHam" aan dhamkaa hai
awr is bande ke tavassust se aap kii ek deriinah KHvaahish, jo kih
vaqt ke guzarne se tamanaa, aarzuu, iltijaa awr aaKHir meN armaan kii
suurat iKHtiyaar kar ga'ii thii, puurii hone ko hai. agar isii maah ke
aaKHir tak bhii yih kaam ho gayaa, to sirf paaNch mahiine hoN ge. ab
aap hii bataa'iye kih yih bhii kisii 'aashiq-i-Jogii ke liye ko'ii
taviil 'arsah hai?

KHair-KHvaah,
Naseer

Jamil

Dec 12, 2008, 3:46:43 PM12/12/08

>       Jamil Saheb,
>
>       Yeh baRi KHushi ki baat hai.  Kamran Saheb ne Marhoom Chaudhury
>       Saheb ke doosre kalaam ki KHwaahish zaahir ki hai.  Ummeed hai
>       aap ne Kashmir ke muta'alliq jo naz'm maiN ne yahaan post ki thi,
>       use un ke paas pahuNcha diya hoga.
>
>       Afzal

Afzal Sahib

I sent to Kamran Sahib all the links to the poems that you had posted,
and have also invited him to participate in the Forum.

One correction to my last posting: He has promised to send the poem
by mail not email as I wrote, so it may take some time to reach the
Kalahari.

Jamil

Jamil

Dec 16, 2008, 6:03:09 PM12/16/08

dostaan-e-'aziz

The poem Jogi is at long last here in its full and unabridged glory in
Urdu script, courtesy of Kamran Siddiqi Sahib, who scanned it and sent
it to me by email. I have had it put on a web page, which can be be
accessed here:

http://www.prongs.org/urdu/poem.pdf

I hope Naseer Sahib takes the usual trouble of transliterating it into
Roman script and supplying the meanings of difficult words.

I am learning for the first time that the poem has two parts written
many years apart. Wonders of the Internet!

My sincere thanks to Kamran Sahib for doing this immense favour.

Jamil

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Naseer

Dec 21, 2008, 2:36:35 PM12/21/08

dostaan-i-giraamii, aadaab.

Here is transliteration of the complete poem. Please feel free to
correct any errors.

Jogii

Hissah-i-avval---naGhmah-i-Haqiiqat

kal subH ke matla'-i-taabaaN se jab 'aalam buq'ah-i-nuur hu'aa
sab chaaNd sitaare maaNd hu'e KHurshiid kaa nuur zuhuur hu'aa

mastaanah havaa-i-gulshan thii jaanaanah adaa-i-gulban thii

har vaadii vaadii-i-Aiman thii har koh pih jalvah-i-tuur hu'aa

jab baad-i-sabaa mizraab banii har shaaKH-i-nihaal rabaab banii
shamshaad-o-chanaar sitaar hu'e har sarv-o-saman tanbuur hu'aa

sab taa'ir mil kar gaane lage mastaanah vuh taaneN uRaane lage
ashjaar bhii vajd meN aane lage gulzaar bhii bazm-i-suruur hu'aa

sabze ne bisaat bichhaaii thii awr bazm-i-nashaat sajaaii thii
ban meN gulshan meN aaNgan meN farsh-i-sanjaab-o-samuur hu'aa

thaa dil-kash manzar-i-baaGh-i-jahaaN awr chaal sabaa kii mastaanah

is Haal meN ek pahaaRii par jaa niklaa Naazir-i-diivaanah

chiiloN ne jhaNDe gaaRe the parbat par chhaaonii chhaaii thii

the KHaime Dere baadal ke kuhre ne qanaat lagaaii thii

yaaN barf ke tode galte the chaaNdii ke favvaare chalte the
chashme siimaab ugalte the naaloN ne dhuum machaaii thii

ik mast-qalandar Jogii ne parbat par Deraa Daalaa thaa
thii raakh jaTaa meN Jogii kii awr aaNg bhabuut ramaaii thii

thaa raakh kaa Jogii kaa bistar awr raakh kaa pairaahan tan par
thii ek laNgoTii zeb-i-kamar jo ghuTnoN tak laTkaaii thii

sab KHalq-i-KHudaa se begaanah vuh mast-qalandar diivaanah
baiThaa thaa jogii mastaanah aaNkhoN meN mastii chhaaii thii

Jogii se aaNkheN chaar hu'iiN awr jhuk kar ham ne salaam kiyaa

tiikhe chitvan se jogii ne tab Naazir se yih kalaam kiyaa

kyoN baabaa naa-Haq Jogii ko tum kis liye aa ke sataate ho
haiN paNkh-pakheruu ban-baasii tum jaal meN in ko phaNsaate ho

koii jhagRaa daal-chapaatii kaa koii da'vaa ghoRe-haathii kaa
koii shikvaa saNgii-saathii kaa tum ham ko sunaane aate ho

ham Hirs-o-havaa ko chhoR chuke us nagrii se muNh moR chuke
ham jo zanjiireN toR chuke tum laa ke vahii pahnaate ho

tum puujaa karte ho dhan kii ham sevaa karte haiN saajan kii
ham jot lagaate haiN man kii tum us ko aa ke bujhaate ho

sansaar se yaaN muNh pheraa hai man meN saajan kaa Deraa hai
yaaN aaNkh laRii hai piitam se tum kis se aaNkh milaate ho

yuuN DaaNT-DapaT kar Jogii ne jab ham se yih irshaad kiyaa
sar us ke jhukaa ke charnoN par Jogii ko ham ne javaab diyaa

haiN ham pardesii sailaanii yuuN aaNkh nah ham se churaa jogii
ham aa'e haiN tere darshan ko chitvan par mail nah laa jogii

aabaadii se muNh pheraa kyoN jaNgal meN kiyaa hai Deraa kyoN
har maHfil meN har manzil meN har dil meN nuur-i-KHudaa Jogii

kyaa masjid meN kyaa mandir meN sab jalvah hai vajhu_llaah kaa

parbat meN nagar meN saagar meN Har utraa hai har-jaa jogii

jii shahr meN KHuub bahaltaa hai vaaN Husn pih 'ishq machaltaa hai
vaaN prem kaa saagar chaltaa hai chal dil kii pyaas bujhaa jogii

vaaN dil kaa Ghunchah khiltaa hai galiyoN meN Mohan miltaa hai

chal shahr meN saNkh bajaa jogii baazaar meN dhuunii ramaa jogii

phir Jogii jii bedaar hu'e is chheR ne itnaa kaam kiyaa

phir 'ishq ke is matvaale ne yih vaHdat kaa ik jaam diyaa

in chiknii chupRii baaton se mat Jogii ko phuslaa baabaa
jo aag bujhaa’ii jatanoN se phir us pih nah tel giraa baabaa

hai shahroN meN Ghul-shor bahut awr kaam krodh kaa zor bahut
baste haiN nagar meN chor bahut saadhoN kii hai ban meN jaa baabaa

hai shahr meN shorish-i-nafsaanii jaNgal meN hai jalvah ruuHaanii
hai nagrii-Dagrii kasrat kii ban vaHdat kaa daryaa baabaa

ham jaNgal ke phal khaate haiN chashmoN se pyaas bhujaate haiN
Raajah ke nah dvaare jaate haiN parjaa kii nahiiN parvaa baabaa

sar par aakaash kaa maNDal hai dhartii pih suhaanii maKHmal hai
din ko suuraj kii maHfil hai shab ko taaroN kii sabhaa baabaa

jab jhuum ke yaaN ghan aate haiN mastii kaa rang jamaate haiN
chashme tanbuur bajaate haiN gaatii hai malaar havaa baabaa

jab paNchii mil-kar gaate haiN piitam ke saNdes sunaate haiN
sab ban ke birchh jhuk jaate haiN tham jaate haiN daryaa baabaa

hai Hirs-o-havaa kaa dhyaan tumheN awr yaad nahiiN bhagvaan tumheN
sil patthar iiNT makaan tumheN dete haiN yih raah bhulaa baabaa

parmaatmaa kii vuh chaah nahiiN awr ruuH ko dil meN raah nahiiN
har baat meN apne matlab ke tum ghaR lete ho KHudaa baabaa

tan man ko dhan meN lagaate ho Har naam ko dil se bhulaate ho
maaTii meN la’l gaNvaate ho tum bandah-i-Hirs-o-havaa baabaa

dhan daulat aanii jaanii yih dunyaa Raam-kahaanii hai
yih ‘aalam ‘aalam-i-faanii hai baaqii hai zaat-i-KHudaa baabaa

Hissag-i-duvum---taraanah-i-vaHdat

jab se mastaane jogii kaa mash_huur-i-jahaaN afsaanah hu’aa
us roz se nandah-i-Naazir bhii phir bazm meN naGhmah-saraa nah hu’aa

kabhii mansab-o-jaah kii chaaT rahii kabhii peT kii puujaa-paaT rahii
lekin yih dil kaa kaNval nah khilaa awr Ghunchah-i-KHaatir vaa nah
hu’aa

kahiiN lag rahii kahiiN piit rahii kabhii haar rahii kabhii jiit rahii
isii kal-jug kii yahii riit rahii ko’ii band se Gham kii rihaa nah
hu’aa

yuuN tiis baras yuuN ter hu’e ham kaar-i-jahaaN se ser hu’e
thaa ‘ahd-i-shabaab saraab-i-nazar vuh chashmah-i-aab baqaa nah hu’aa

phir shahr se jii uktaane lagaa phir shauq muhaar uThaane lagaa
phir Jogii jii ke darshan ko Naazir ik roz ravaanah hu’aa

kuchh roz meN Naazir jaa pahuNchaa phir hosh-rubaa nazzaaroN meN
Panjaab ke gard-GhubaaroN se Kashmiir ke baaGh-bahaaroN meN

Phir ban-baasii beraagii kaa har samt suraaGh lagaane lagaa
Banhaal ke bhayaanak GhaaroN meN Panjaal kii kaalii dhaaroN meN

apnaa to zamaanah biit gayaa sarkaaroN meN darbaaroN meN
par Jogii meraa sher rahaa parbat kii suunii GhaaroN meN

vuh din ko Tahaltaa-phirtaa thaa in qudrat ke gul-zaaroN meN
awr raat ko maHv-i-tamaashah thaa anbar ke chamakte taaroN meN

barfaab kaa thaa ik taal yahaaN yaa chaaNdii kaa thaa thaal yahaaN
almaas jaRaa thaa zamurrud meN yih taal nah thaa kahaaroN meN

taalaab k ek kinaare par yih ban kaa rajah baiThaa thaa
thii fauj khaRii diivaaroN kii har samt buland HisaaroN meN

yaaN sabzah-o-gul kaa nazaarah thaa awr manzar pyaaraa pyaaraa thaa
phuuloN kaa taKHt utaaraa thaa pariyoN ne in kuh-saaroN meN

yaaN baad-i-saHar jab aatii thii bheroN kaa ThaaTh jamaatii thii
talaab rabaab bajaataa thaa lahroN ke taRapte taaroN meN

kyaa mast-alast navaa’eN thiiN in qudrat ke nirmaaroN? meN
malhaar kaa ruup thaa chashmoN sarhang kaa rang favvaaroN meN

jab Jogii josh-i-vaHdat meN Har-naam kii zarb lagaataa thaa
ik guuNj sii chakkar lagaatii thii kuh-saaroN kii diivaaroN meN

is ‘ishq-o-havaa kii mastii se jab Jogii kuchh hushyaar hu’aa
is KHaak-nishiiN kii KHidmat meN yuuN Naazir ‘arz –guzaar hu’aa

kal rashk-i-chaman thii KHaak-i-vatan hai aaj vuh dasht-i-balaa Jogii
vuh rishtah-i-ulfat Tuut gayaa ko’ii tasmah lagaa nah rahaa Jogii

barbaad bahut se gharaane hu’e aabaad haiN bandii-KHaane hu’e
shahroN meN hai shor ba-paa Jogii gaaoN meN hai aah-o-bukaa Jogii

vuh josh junuuN ke zor hu’e insaan bhii DaNgar-Dhor hu’e
bachhoN kaa hai qatl ravaa Jogii buuRhoN kaa hai KHuun hibaa Jogii

yih masjid meN awr mandir meN har-roz tanaazu’ kaisaa hai
Pramiishar hai jo Hinduu kaa Muslim kaa vahii hai KHudaa Jogii

Kaashii kaa vuh chaahne vaalaa hai Makke kaa yih matvaalaa hai
Chhaatii se to Bhaarat-maataa kii donoN ne hai duudh piyaa Jogii

hai des meN aisii phuuT paRii ik qahr kii bijlii Tuut paRii
ruuThe mitroN ko manaa Jogii bichhRe biiroN ko milaa Jogii

ko’ii girtaa hai ko’ii chaltaa hai girtoN ko ko’ii kuchaltaa hai
sab ko ik chaal chalaa Jogii awr ek Dagar par laa Jogii

vuh mai-kadah hii baaqii nah rahaa vuh KHum nah rahaa saaqii nah rahaa
phir ‘ishq kaa jaam pilaa Jogii yih laag kii aag bujhaa Jogii

parbat ke nah suukhe ruukhoN ko yih prem ke giit sunaa Jogii
yih mast taraanah vaHdat kaa chal des kii dhun meN gaa Jogii

bhaktoN ke qadam jab ate hai kal-jug ke klesh miTaate haiN
tham jaataa hai sail-i-balaa Jogii ruk jaataa hai tiir-i-qazaa Jogii

Naazir ne jo yih afsaanah-i-Gham ruu-daad-i-vatan kaa yaad kiyaa
Jogii ne ThaNDii saaNs bharii awr Naazir se irshaad kiyaa

Baabaa! Ham Jogii ban-baasii jaNgal ke rahne vale haiN
is ban meN Dere Daale haiN jab tak yih ban haryaale haiN

is kaam krodh ke dhaare se ham naao bachaa kar chalet haiN
jaate yaaN muNh meN magar-machh ke daryaa ke nahaane vaale haiN

hai des meN shor-pukaar bahut awr jhuuT kii hai parchaar bahut
vaaN raah dikhaane vaale bhii be-raah chalaane vaale haiN

kuchh laalach-lobh ke bande haiN kuchh makr-o-fareb ke phaNde haiN
muurakh ko phaNsaane vaale haiN makRii ke yih sab jaale haiN

jo des meN aag lagaate haiN phir us par tel giraate haiN
yih sab dozaKH kaa iiNdhan haiN awr nark ke sab yih nivaale haiN

Bhaarat ke pyaare puutoN kaa jo KHuun bahaane vaale haiN
kal chhaaoN meN jis kii baiTheN ge vahii peR giraane vaale haiN

jo KHuun-KHaraabaa karte haiN aapas meN kaT kaT marte haiN
yih biir-bahaadur Bhaarat ko GhairoN se chhuRaane vaale haiN?

jo dharm kii jaR ko kho deN ge Bhaarat kii naao Dubo deN ge
yih des ko Dasne vaale haiN jo saaNp baGhal meN pale haiN

jo jiiv kii rakhshaa karte haiN awr KHauf-i-KHudaa se Darte haiN
Bhagvaan ko bhaane vaale haiN ‘iishvar ko rijhaane vaale haiN

dunyaa kaa hai surjan-haar vahii ma’buud vahii muKHtaar vahii
yih ka’bah kaliisaa but-KHaanah yih Dol usii ne Daale haiN

vuh sab kaa paalan-haaraa hai yih kunbah usii kaa saaraa hai
yih piile haiN yaa kale haiN sab pyaar se us ne pale haiN

ko’ii hindii ho kih Hijaazii ho, ko’ii turkii ho yaa taazii ho
jab niir piyaa ek maataa kaa sab ek gharaane vaale haiN

sab ek hii gat par naacheN ge sab ek hii laag alaapeN ge
kal Shyaam-ghanayyaa phir ban meN murlii ko bajaane vaale haiN

aakaash ke niile gunbad se yih guuNj sunaa’ii detii hai
apnoN ko miTaane vaaloN ko kal Ghair miTaane vaale haiN

yih prem-saNdesaa Jogii kaa pahuNchaa do un mahaa-purshoN ko
saude meN jo Bhaarat-maataa ke tan-man ke lagaane vaale haiN

parmaatmaa ke vuh pyaare haiN awr des ke chaaNd sitaare haiN
aNdher-nagar meN vaHdat kii jo jot jagaane vaale haiN

Naazir tum bhii yahiiN aa baiTho awr ban meN dhuunii ramaa baiTho
sharoN meN guru phir chiiloN ko ko’ii naach nachaane vaale haiN

KHushii Muhammad Naazir

…………………………………………………………………………………………………

KHair-Khvaah,
Naseer

Jamil

Dec 22, 2008, 3:23:30 AM12/22/08

Naseer wrote:
> dostaan-i-giraamii, aadaab.
>
> Here is transliteration of the complete poem. Please feel free to
> correct any errors.

> Jogii
>
> Hissah-i-avval---naGhmah-i-Haqiiqat
>
> kal subH ke matla'-i-taabaaN se jab 'aalam buq'ah-i-nuur hu'aa
> sab chaaNd sitaare maaNd hu'e KHurshiid kaa nuur zuhuur hu'aa
>
> mastaanah havaa-i-gulshan thii jaanaanah adaa-i-gulban thii
> har vaadii vaadii-i-Aiman thii har koh pih jalvah-i-tuur hu'aa

Janaab Naseer Sahib

umiid hai naasaazagi-e-tabii'at ab duur ho gai ho gii. Thank you so
much for taking the trouble romanize both parts of the poem. ab aap
se guzaarish hai keh mushkil alfaaz ke m'anii bhii bhi post kar
diijiiyee, ihsaan ho ga.

Jamil

Naseer

Dec 22, 2008, 6:21:36 AM12/22/08
On Dec 22, 8:23 am, Jamil <dehq...@gmail.com> wrote:

> umiid hai naasaazagi-e-tabii'at ab duur ho gai ho gii.  Thank you so
> much for taking the trouble romanize both parts of the poem.   ab aap
> se guzaarish hai keh mushkil alfaaz ke m'anii bhii bhi post kar
> diijiiyee, ihsaan ho ga.

muHtaram Jamil Sahib, tasliimaat.

sach puuchhiye to naa-saazii-i-tabii'at ke dauraan hii maiN ne
tranlitteration kii hai. ab bhii Haalat itnii bihtar nahiiN vaise kal
kaam par vaapas jaane kaa iraadah hai.

mushkil alfaaz ke ma'nii likhne kaa Hukm sar aaNkhoN par lekin....

maiN to yih dekh rahaa huuN kih abhii tak ek do afraad ne hii nazm kii
paziiraaii kii hai awr us kii sitaa'ish meN kuchh kahaa hai. agar yih
nazm ko'ii paRh hii nahiiN rahaa to use alfaaz kaise mushkil lagne
lageN ge? mere KHayaal meN ba-jaa'e is ke kih ek taviil luGhat pesh
kii jaa'e, bihtar yih hai kih agar ko'ii kisii lafz yaa alfaaz ke
baare meN savaal puuchhe to ham sab mil kar us ko javaab dene kii
koshish kareN ge. is se ek awr achchhaa pahluu bhii saamne aa saktaa
hai. ho saktaa hai kih nazm par bhii kuchh baHs ho jaa'e!

KHair-KHvaah,
Naseer

Naseer

Jan 31, 2009, 12:23:12 PM1/31/09
On Dec 21 2008, 7:36 pm, Naseer <qures...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> dostaan-i-giraamii, aadaab.
>
> Here is transliteration of the complete poem. Please feel free to
> correct any errors.

janaab-i-Jamil Sahib, tasliimaat.

mujhe afsos hai kih merii transliteration meN phir bhii ka'ii
GhalatiyaaN rah ga'ii thiiN. ummiid kartaa huuN kih yih "aaKHirii"
shakl shaayad in se paak ho.

Prem Joshi Sahib, please take a look at this link and try to read the
nazm in the original Urdu. If you encounter any difficulty, I hope the
transliteration below will be helpful.

http://www.prongs.org/urdu/poem.pdf

Jogii az KHushii Muhammad Naazir

[...]

dhan daulat aanii jaanii hai yih dunyaa Raam-kahaanii hai

yih ‘aalam ‘aalam-i-faanii hai baaqii hai zaat-i-KHudaa baabaa

Hissah-i-duvum---taraanah-i-vaHdat

jab se mastaane Jogii kaa mash_huur-i-jahaaN afsaanah hu’aa
us roz se bandah-i-Naazir bhii phir bazm meN naGhmah-saraa nah hu’aa

kabhii mansab-o-jaah kii chaaT rahii kabhii peT kii puujaa-paaT rahii
lekin yih dil kaa kaNval nah khilaa awr Ghunchah-i-KHaatir vaa nah
hu’aa

kahiiN laag rahii kahiiN piit rahii kabhii haar rahii kabhii jiit

rahii
isii kal-jug kii yahii riit rahii ko’ii band se Gham kii rihaa nah
hu’aa

yuuN tiis baras jab ter hu’e ham kaar-i-jahaaN se ser hu’e

thaa ‘ahd-i-shabaab saraab-i-nazar vuh chashmah-i-aab baqaa nah hu’aa

phir shahr se jii uktaane lagaa phir shauq muhaar uThaane lagaa
phir Jogii jii ke darshan ko Naazir ik roz ravaanah hu’aa

kuchh roz meN Naazir jaa pahuNchaa phir hosh-rubaa nazzaaroN meN
Panjaab ke gard-GhubaaroN se Kashmiir ke baaGh-bahaaroN meN

Phir ban-baasii beraagii kaa har samt suraaGh lagaane lagaa

Banhaa (?)l ke bhayaanak GhaaroN meN Panjaal (?) kii kaalii dhaaroN
meN

apnaa to zamaanah biit gayaa sarkaaroN meN darbaaroN meN
par Jogii meraa sher rahaa parbat kii suunii GhaaroN meN

vuh din ko Tahaltaa-phirtaa thaa in qudrat ke gul-zaaroN meN
awr raat ko maHv-i-tamaashah thaa anbar ke chamakte taaroN meN

barfaab kaa thaa ik taal yahaaN yaa chaaNdii kaa thaa thaal yahaaN
almaas jaRaa thaa zamurrud meN yih taal nah thaa kahaaroN meN

taalaab ke ek kinaare par yih ban kaa raajah baiThaa thaa

thii fauj khaRii diivaaroN kii har samt buland HisaaroN meN

yaaN sabzah-o-gul kaa nazaarah thaa awr manzar pyaaraa pyaaraa thaa
phuuloN kaa taKHt utaaraa thaa pariyoN ne in kuh-saaroN meN

yaaN baad-i-saHar jab aatii thii bheroN kaa ThaaTh jamaatii thii

taalaab rabaab bajaataa thaa lahroN ke taRapte taaroN meN

kyaa mast-alast navaa’eN thiiN in qudrat ke nirmaaroN? meN

malhaar kaa ruup thaa chashmoN meN sarhang kaa rang favvaaroN meN

[...]

bhaktoN ke qadam jab aate haiN kal-jug ke klesh miTaate haiN

tham jaataa hai sail-i-balaa Jogii ruk jaataa hai tiir-i-qazaa Jogii

Naazir ne jo yih afsaanah-i-Gham ruu-daad-i-vatan kaa yaad kiyaa
Jogii ne ThaNDii saaNs bharii awr Naazir se irshaad kiyaa

Baabaa! ham Jogii ban-baasii jaNgal ke rahne vale haiN

is ban meN Dere Daale haiN jab tak yih ban haryaale haiN

is kaam-krodh ke dhaare se ham naao bachaa kar chalte haiN

jaate yaaN muNh meN magar-machh ke daryaa ke nahaane vaale haiN

hai des meN shor-pukaar bahut awr jhuuT kii hai parchaar bahut
vaaN raah dikhaane vaale bhii be-raah chalaane vaale haiN

kuchh laalach-lobh ke bande haiN kuchh makr-o-fareb ke phaNde haiN
muurakh ko phaNsaane vaale haiN makRii ke yih sab jaale haiN

jo des meN aag lagaate haiN phir us par tel giraate haiN
yih sab dozaKH kaa iiNdhan haiN awr nark ke sab yih nivaale haiN

Bhaarat ke pyaare puutoN kaa jo KHuun bahaane vaale haiN
kal chhaaoN meN jis kii baiTheN ge vahii peR giraane vaale haiN

jo KHuun-KHaraabaa karte haiN aapas meN kaT kaT marte haiN
yih biir-bahaadur Bhaarat ko GhairoN se chhuRaane vaale haiN?

jo dharm kii jaR ko kho deN ge Bhaarat kii naao Dubo deN ge

yih des ko Dasne vaale haiN jo saaNp baGhal meN paale haiN

jo jiiv kii rakhshaa karte haiN awr KHauf-i-KHudaa se Darte haiN
Bhagvaan ko bhaane vaale haiN ‘iishvar ko rijhaane vaale haiN

dunyaa kaa hai surjan-haar vahii ma’buud vahii muKHtaar vahii
yih ka’bah kaliisaa but-KHaanah yih Dol usii ne Daale haiN

vuh sab kaa paalan-haaraa hai yih kunbah usii kaa saaraa hai

yih piile haiN yaa kaale haiN sab pyaar se us ne paale haiN

ko’ii Hindii ho kih Hijaazii ho, ko’ii Turkii ho yaa Taazii ho

jab niir piyaa ek maataa kaa sab ek gharaane vaale haiN

sab ek hii gat par naacheN ge sab ek hii raag alaapeN ge

kal Shyaam-ghanayyaa phir ban meN murlii ko bajaane vaale haiN

aakaash ke niile gunbad se yih guuNj sunaa’ii detii hai
apnoN ko miTaane vaaloN ko kal Ghair miTaane vaale haiN

yih prem-saNdesaa Jogii kaa pahuNchaa do un mahaa-purshoN ko
saude meN jo Bhaarat-maataa ke tan-man ke lagaane vaale haiN

parmaatmaa ke vuh pyaare haiN awr des ke chaaNd sitaare haiN
aNdher-nagar meN vaHdat kii jo jot jagaane vaale haiN

Naazir tum bhii yahiiN aa baiTho awr ban meN dhuunii ramaa baiTho

shahroN meN guru phir chiiloN ko ko’ii naach nachaane vaale haiN

…………………………………………………………………………………………………

KHair-Khvaah,
Naseer

zubaid...@gmail.com

Aug 18, 2013, 3:03:53 AM8/18/13
[...]

thii raakh jaTaa meN Jogii kii awr aNg bhabuut ramaaii thii

thaa raakh kaa Jogii kaa bistar awr raakh kaa pairaahan tan par
thii ek laNgoTii zeb-i-kamar jo ghuTnoN tak laTkaa'ii thii

sab Khalq-i-Khudaa se begaanah vuh mast qalandar diivaanah
baiThaa thaa jogii mastaanah aaNkhoN meN mastii chhaa'ii thii

Jogii se aaNkheN chaar hu'iiN awr jhuk kar ham ne salaam kiyaa
tiikhe chitvan se Jogii ne tab Naazir se yih kalaam kiyaa

kyoN baabaa naa-Haq Jogii ko tum kis liye aa ke sataate ho
haiN paNkh-pakheruu ban-baasii tum jaal meN in ko phaNsaate ho

ko'ii jhagRaa daal-chapaatii kaa ko'ii da'vaa ghoRe-haathii kaa
ko'ii shikvaa saNgii-saathii kaa tum ham ko sunaane aate ho

ham Hirs-o-havaa ko chhoR chuke us nagrii se muNh moR chuke
ham jo zanjiireN toR chuke tum laa ke vahii pahnaate ho

tum puujaa karte ho dhan kii ham sevaa karte haiN saajan kii
ham jot lagaate haiN man kii tum us ko aa ke bujhaate ho

sansaar se yaaN mukh pheraa hai man meN saajan kaa Deraa hai
yaaN aaNkh laRii hai piitam se tum kis se aaNkh milaate ho

yuuN DaaNT-DapaT kar Jogii ne jab ham se yih irshaad kiyaa
sar us ke jhukaa ke charnoN par Jogii ko ham ne javaab diyaa

haiN ham pardesii sailaanii yuuN aaNkh nah ham se churaa Jogii
ham aa'e haiN tere darshan ko chitvan par mail nah laa Jogii

aabaadii se muNh pheraa kyoN jaNgal meN kiyaa hai Deraa kyoN
har maHfil meN har manzil meN har dil meN hai nuur-i-KHudaa Jogii

[...]

jab paNchhii mil-kar gaate haiN piitam ke saNdes sunaate haiN
sab ban ke birchh jhuk jaate haiN tham jaate haiN daryaa baabaa

hai Hirs-o-havaa kaa dhyaan tumheN awr yaad nahiiN Bhagvaan tumheN
sil patthar iiNT makaan tumheN dete haiN yih raah bhulaa baabaa

parmaatmaa kii vuh chaah nahiiN awr ruuH ko dil meN raah nahiiN
har baat meN apne matlab ke tum ghaR lete ho Khudaa baabaa

tan man ko dhan meN lagaate ho Har naam ko dil se bhulaate ho
maaTii meN la’l gaNvaate ho tum bandah-i-Hirs-o-havaa baabaa

dhan daulat aanii jaanii hai yih dunyaa Raam-kahaanii hai
yih ‘aalam ‘aalam-i-faanii hai baaqii hai zaat-i-Khudaa baabaa

muhammad....@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2014, 11:34:50 AM1/18/14
On Saturday, July 26, 2008 3:55:39 PM UTC-4, deh...@yahoo.com wrote:
> [...]
> koi shikva saNgi saathi ka tum ham to aa keh sunaate ho"
>
> -----------
> ----------
> [Naazir then replies to this outburst. I remeber only one reply of
> the reply]
>
> --------
> chal shehr meN saNkh baja jogi, bazaar men dhuuni rama jogi
> --------
> --------
>
> [Jogi then replies}
> ---------
> in chikni chupRi baatoN se jogi ko na phisla baba
> jo aag lagaai jatnoN se us ko ab na jalaa baba
>
> ----------
> hai paiT ka har dam dhiyaan tumheN aur yaad nahiN bhagvan tumheN
> sil pather iiNT makan tumheN dete haiN sukhi se chuRaa baba
> --------
>
> [Not unexpectedly, jogi has the last word in the debate].

Afzal A. Khan

Jan 21, 2014, 6:25:08 PM1/21/14
Janab Sharif Khan Saheb,

This is a pretty old thread. I recall posting some poems by
Chaudhury Saheb some 5-6 years back.

But you have merely quoted previous post/s, without adding any
comment. Please re-visit the thread and let us know what you
want to tell us......

Afzal

abhin...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2015, 7:50:04 AM9/23/15
DEAR ALL

I AM ABHINAV SHARMA FROM PUNJAB HEARD ABOUT THE POEM FROM MY UNCLE IN MANDIR AND WAS KEEN TO HAVE THE FULL POEM AS UNCLE COULD ONLY SPELL 4 TO 5 STANZAZ BUT BELOW I AM SENDING FULL POEM AND IF ANY ONE KNOW THAT SOMETHING IS MISSING DO LET ME KNOW SO THAT I CAN MAKE THE CORRECTION AND HAVE THE TREASURE THAT OUR ELDERS HAD GIVEN US IN FULL.

THANKS TO ALL .

HERE IS THE POEM

Kal subh Matlaye Tabaan se Jab Alam Bukkai Noor Hua,
Sab Chand Sitare Maand Hua Khursheed ka Noor Juhoor Hua.

Mastana Havayen Gulshan thi Janana Adayen Gulban Thi,
Har Vadi Vadi Amen thi,Har Koh Pe Noor samaya Tha.

Jab Vade Saba Mizrab Bani, Har Shaakh Misale Rabab Bani,
Shamshaad-O-Chinaar Sitar Bane, Har Saro Suman Tamboor Hua.

Sab Tayar Mil ke Gane Lage, Irfaan ki Tane Udane Lage,
Ashjaar Bhi Vazad Mein Ane Lage, Dilkash Vo Samaye Tumboor hua.

Sabze Ne Bisaat Bichaii Thi, Aur Bazme Suroor Samai Thi,
Ban mein Gulshan Mein Angan MeinFarshe Sanjab Vasamool Hua.

Tha Dilkash Manzar Dashta Jabal, Aur Chaal Saban Ki Mastana,
Is Haal Main Ek Pahadi Par, Ja Nikla Naazar Diwana.

Chilon Ne Jhande Gade The, Parvat Par Chauni Chai Thi,
The Kheme Dere Badal Ke, Kore ne Kanat Bichai Thi.

Yahan Barf Ke Tode Galte The, Chandi Ke Favvare Chalte The,
Chashme Simaat Ugalte The, Naloon Ne Dhoom Machai Thi.

Yahan Kullai Koh Pr Rehta Tha, Ek Mast Kalandar Vairagi,
Thi Raakh Jattaon Mein Jogi ke, Aur Ang Vibhoot Ramai Thi.

Tha Raakh Ka Jogi Ka Bistar, Aur Raakh Ka Piraahan Tan Par,
Thi Ek Langoti Zeve Kamar, Jo Ghutno Tak Latkaai Thi.

Sab Khalke Khuda Se Begana, Vo Mast Kalandar Diwana,
Baitha Tha Jogi Mastana, Annkhon Mein Masti Chai Thi.

Jogi Se Ankhe Chaar Hui, Aur Jhuk ke Maine salaam Kiya,
Tab Aankh Utha ke 'Nazar' se, Youn Banbaasi ne Kalaam Kiya.

Kyon Baba Nahak Jogi ko, Tum Kis Liya Ake Satate ho,
Ham Pankh Pakhero Banvasi, Tum Jaal Mein A Ke Phansate Ho.

Koi Jhagda Daal Chapati ka, Koi dava Ghode Hathi Ka,
Koi Shikva Sangi Sathi Ka, Tum Ham Ko Sunane Ate Ho.

Ham Hirso Hawa Ko chod Chuke, Is Nagri se Munh Mod Chuke,
Ham Jo Zanzeeren Tode Chuke, Tum lake Vahi Pahnate Ho.

Tum Pooja Karte Ho Dhan Ki, Ham Seva Karte Hai Saajan ki,
Ham jot Jagate Hai Man ki, Tum Ake Use Bujhate Ho.

Sansaar Se Yeh Mukh Phera hai, Man Mein sajan Ka Dera hai,
Yahan Aankh Ladi Hai Priytam Se, Tum Kis Se Aankh Ladate Ho.

Question of Nazar:

Us Mast Kalandar Jogi Ne, Jab Nazar Ko Yeh Ataab Kiya,
Kuch Der To Ham Khamooshn Rahe, Phir Jogi is yeh Mataab Kiya.

Hein Ham Pardesi Seelani, Mat Nahak Taish Main Aa Jogi,
Ham Aate Tere Darshan Ko, Chitwan Par Mail Na La Jogi.

Abaadi Se Munh Phera Kyon, Parbat mein kiya Dera Kyon,
Har Mehfil mein, Har Manzil Mein, Har Dil mein Noore Khuda Jogi.

Kya Masjid Mein Kya Mandir Main, Sab Jalwa Hai Vo Allah Ka,
Parbat Mein, Nagar Main, Sagar Mein, Har Uttran Hai Har Ja Jogi.

Ji Shahar Mein Khoob Machalta, Vahan Husn Pe Ishk Machalta Hai,
Vahan Pram Ka Sagar Chalta Hai, Chal Dil Ki Pyas Bhuja jogi.

Va Dil Ka Guncha khilta Hai, Har Rang Mein Mauman milta Hai,
Chal Shahar Mein Shankh Baja Jogi, Chal Bazaar Mein Dhooni Rama Jogi.

Answer of Jogi:

In Chikni Chupdi Batton Se, Mat Jogi Ko Phusla Baba,
Jo aag Bujhai Yatano Se, Us Par Na Teel Gira Baba.

Hai Sharon Mein Guloshoor Bahut, Aur Hirso Hawa Ka Shoor Bahut,
Baste Hain Nagar Mein Choor Bahut, Sadhu Ki Ban Main Ja Baba.

Hai Shahar Mein Shorash Nafsaani, Jangal Main Jalwa Ruhani,
Hai Nagari Dagari Kasrat Ki, Ban Vahadat Ka Dariya Baba.

Ham jangal Ke Phal Khate Hai, Chashmon Se Pyas Bhujhte Hai,
Raja Ke Dware Na Jate Hai, Parja Ki Nahin Parwah Baba.

Sar Par Akaash Ka mandal Hai, Dharti Pe Suhani Makhmal Hai,
Din Ko Suraj Ki Mahfil Hai, Shab Ko Taaron Ki sabha Baba.

Jab Jhoom Ke Yahan Ghan Ate Hain, Masti Ka Rang Jamate Hain,
Chashme Tambool Bajate Hai, Gaati Hai Tab Malhaar Ban Baba.

Yahan Panchi Mil Kar Gate Hai, Pritam Ka Sandesh Sunate Hai,
Ya Roop Anoop Dikhate Hai, Phal Phool Aur Barag Gaya Baba.

Hai Pet Ka Hardam Dhyan Tumhe, Aur Yaad Nahin Bhagwaan Tumhe,
Sil, Pathar Eent Makaan Tumhe, Dete Hain Sakhi Se Chuda Baba.

Tan Man Ko Dhan Mein Lagate Ho, Pritam Ko Dil Se Bhulate Ho,
Maati Mein Lal Gawante Ho, Tum Bande Hilso Hawa Baba.

Dhan Daulat Aani Jaani, Yeh Duniya Ram Kahani Hai,
Yeh Alaam Phani Phani Hai, Baki Hai Zate Khuda Baba.

REGARDS
ABHINAV SHARMA

Naseer

Oct 18, 2015, 12:33:42 PM10/18/15
Abhinav Jii, aadaab.

Best Wishes,

Naseer

Asad

Oct 29, 2015, 8:14:42 AM10/29/15
Wow. My grandfather used to tell us this poem and I was really after it. Thanks to Jamil sb for the post and thanks to Abhinav for providing us with it.

yous...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2018, 6:45:34 AM7/11/18

yous...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2018, 6:49:40 AM7/11/18

I have complete poem JOGI. I have composed it myself on INPAGE and I can send high resolution JPEG. Let me know how can I send?

Naseer

Jul 12, 2018, 11:16:40 AM7/12/18
On Wednesday, 11 July 2018 11:49:40 UTC+1, yous...@gmail.com wrote:
> I have complete poem JOGI. I have composed it myself on INPAGE and I can send high resolution JPEG. Let me know how can I send?
janaab-i-muHtaram, aadaab 3arz hai.

We managed to get hold of the whole poem and it was posted in Roman on 31/01/2009 in this thread. Now days we are lucky to have such resources as rekhta.org and this nazm is available there too.

https://rekhta.org/ebooks/naghma-e-firdaus-part-001-khushi-mohammad-naazir-ebooks

Thank you very much indeed for your kind offer.

Naseer