[lafz] Word of the day #164 - 'Khuu'

Vivek

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00

Date: 14-Nov-2000
Word of the day: Khuu

Meaning:

Khuu = habit

Couplet:

sohabat me.n Gair kii na pa.Dii ho ye Khuu kahii.n
dene lage hai.n bose baGair iltajaa kiye
[Mirza Ghalib]

[sohabat = company; bose = kisses; baGair = without; iltijaa = request/pleading]

il_kh...@my-deja.com

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00
In article <Pine.GSO.4.21.001115...@eesun3.tamu.edu>,

I think the "bose" are one too many !

The sher is :

Sohbat men GHair ki na paRi ho kaheeN yeh KHoo
Dene laga hai bosa baGHair iltija kiye

The very next sher in this ghazal again contains
the word :

Zid ki hai aur baat magar KHoo buri nahin
Bhoole se us ne saiNkRon waade wafa kiye

Afzal

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Nita

Nov 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/19/00
Vivek <viv...@ee.tamu.edu> wrote:

> Date: 14-Nov-2000
> Word of the day: Khuu

Vivek, I have a request. When you post the mailings from the various
mailing lists, please include the footer information so that whose who
are interested can join the mailing lists directly.

For those are new to ALUP, or who may be interested, the three mailing
lists - Mehfil-e-Gazal, Ashaar and Lafz have their own websites where
you can find archives of previous posts as well as information on how
to subscribe/unsubscribe from the mailing lists. The websites are:

http://www.ashaar.net
http://www.lafz.net
http://www.mehfil-e-gazal.net

Nita
--
http://www.urdupoetry.com

rajkp...@my-deja.com

Nov 19, 2000, 11:32:38 PM11/19/00
In article <8uuspo$qdn$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

il_kh...@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <Pine.GSO.4.21.001115...@eesun3.tamu.edu>,
> Vivek <viv...@ee.tamu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Date: 14-Nov-2000
> > Word of the day: Khuu
> >
> > Meaning:
> >
> > Khuu = habit
> >
> > Couplet:
> >
> > sohabat me.n Gair kii na pa.Dii ho ye Khuu kahii.n
> > dene lage hai.n bose baGair iltajaa kiye
> > [Mirza Ghalib]
> >
> > [sohabat = company; bose = kisses; baGair = without; iltijaa =
> > request/pleading]
>
> I think the "bose" are one too many !
>
> The sher is :
>
> Sohbat men GHair ki na paRi ho kaheeN yeh KHoo
> Dene laga hai bosa baGHair iltija kiye
>
> The very next sher in this ghazal again contains
> the word :
>
> Zid ki hai aur baat magar KHoo buri nahin
> Bhoole se us ne saiNkRon waade wafa kiye

is zimn meiN, Ghalib hi ka aek aur she'r qaabil-e-Ghaur hai; farmaate
haiN

voh apni Khoo na chhoReN ge, ham apni vaza' kiyooN badleN?
subuk-sar ban ke kya poochheN ke ham se sar-garaaN kiyooN ho?

Raj Kumar

abidasultana1

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
kya sabab tuu jo bigaDtaa hai 'Zafar' se har baar
Khuu terii huur-e-shamaa'il kabhi aisi to na thi

Bahadur Shah Zafar

Cheers!

Abida Sultana

rajkp...@my-deja.com

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
In article <3A1928C7...@home.com>,
abidasultana1 <abidas...@home.com> wrote:

> kya sabab tuu jo bigaDtaa hai 'Zafar' se har baar
> Khuu terii huur-e-shamaa'il kabhi aisi to na thi
>
> Bahadur Shah Zafar

bahut achhchha she'r quote kiya hai aap ne, Abida ji, magar socha ke
kayee dinoN se aap ko koi sabaq naheeN sikhaaya --- I mean, sabaq
naheeN diya! LOL
to, chaliye, kiyooN na aaj aek-aadh baat bataata chalooN?

voh yeh ke yahaaN par huur-e-shamaa'il ko huur-shamaa'il hona chaahiye
kiyooN-ke yeh tarkeeb izaafi naheeN hai. It means someone whose
qualities are huur-like --- in the same way as we say pari-chehra,
farishta-seerat, maah-vash, gul-faam, shab-raNg, etc.

One more thing. My personal preference is to use 'R', rather than the
customary 'D', for writing bigaRta --- and similarly for 'peechhe
paRna', 'kitaab paRhna', dauRna, muR kar dekhna, etc.
And reserve 'D' for use in words like Darna, Daalana, Dhalna, Dholak,
laDDoo, etc. The reason being that if we use 'D' for both these sounds
(as many people do) then how to write words like DeRh, DeoRhi, etc.
which unfortunately(!) contain both these sounds.

I am sorry that this was a rather short (and hence disappointing)
lesson! :-))

With best wishes (and CHEERS!),

Nita

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00

> One more thing. My personal preference is to use 'R', rather than the
> customary 'D', for writing bigaRta --- and similarly for 'peechhe
> paRna', 'kitaab paRhna', dauRna, muR kar dekhna, etc.
> And reserve 'D' for use in words like Darna, Daalana, Dhalna, Dholak,
> laDDoo, etc. The reason being that if we use 'D' for both these sounds
> (as many people do) then how to write words like DeRh, DeoRhi, etc.
> which unfortunately(!) contain both these sounds.

De.Dh and Deo.Dhii is how I would write them.

I am actually intrigued by the "unfortunately(!)" that you have used in
your statement, Rajukumar sahib. It would help clarify matters for me
if you could kindly explain what is so unfortunate about it.

Nita
--
http://www.urdupoetry.com

rajkp...@my-deja.com

Nov 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/25/00
In article <8vdcrv$1ra$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Nita <nawat...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> > One more thing. My personal preference is to use 'R', rather than
> > the
> > customary 'D', for writing bigaRta --- and similarly for 'peechhe
> > paRna', 'kitaab paRhna', dauRna, muR kar dekhna, etc.
> > And reserve 'D' for use in words like Darna, Daalana, Dhalna,
> > Dholak,
> > laDDoo, etc. The reason being that if we use 'D' for both these
> > sounds
> > (as many people do) then how to write words like DeRh, DeoRhi, etc.
> > which unfortunately(!) contain both these sounds.

> De.Dh and Deo.Dhii is how I would write them.
>
> I am actually intrigued by the "unfortunately(!)" that you have used
> in

> your statement, Rajkumar sahib. It would help clarify matters for me

> if you could kindly explain what is so unfortunate about it.

Nita ji:

maiN aap ke muKhtasar se savaal ka javaab mufassil taur se de rahaa
hooN. is liye, aap mera javaab zaraa khulaa vaqt nikaal kar paRhiye
ga! :-))

There are, in fact, two reasons why I called the "coming together of
these two sounds in a single word" unfortunate(!).

The first reason is precisely the way you have written the two examples
I had quoted. In each of these, you have used the same letter 'D' to
depict two sounds that are pretty different. If one considers the
distinction between these two sounds as insignificant, then the matter
finishes right here; we don't even have to discuss it any further.
On the other hand, if this difference is significant (which, to me, is
quite obvious) then we are indeed obliged to discuss it further.

For this, let me start with another example. There are two words in
Urdu-Hindi that are commonly used to refer to an 'old man'. One
is 'buDDha' --- please don't think for a moment that I am injecting my
mother-tongue here, for you well know that famous Hindi song
"maiN kya karooN raam, mujhe ...... mil gayaa".

Now please concentrate on the sound depicted by the letter 'D' in the
word above..........and go over to the other word, which you'll write
as 'booDha' but I'll write as 'booRha'. Why? Because, by all means, the
sound here is NOT the same as the one there; this sound, in fact,
screams for the use of a different letter to depict it.

So much so that, in the Urdu alphabet itself, these two sounds are
represented by two different letters. Let me reproduce for you the
relevant portion of that alphabet:

--------
daal, Daal, zaal
re, Re, ze, zhe
--------

From the very way these letter appear in the Urdu alphabet, it seems
natural to me that we use 'D' for one of these sounds and 'R' for the
other.

Even in the Hindi alphabet, they distinguish between these two sounds
by writing a plain 'Da' for the former and sticking a 'biNdi'
underneath it to depict the latter. Then, why shouldn't we honour this
distinction while using Roman script? And, luckily, the choice is there!

In any case, you are not the first one to use the letter 'D' for this
dual purpose. English newspapers in India have been doing it for a long
time. My hunch is that the people who started this usage were either
ignorant of the Urdu/Hindi alphabets or were not so concerned about the
subtleties of the sounds that appear in words such as 'aDambar' on one
hand and 'aRaNga' on the other or were simply too anglicized to care!
Luckily, I don't belong to any of those classes. :-))

The second reason why I used the word 'unfortunate' in my note has
nothing to do with transliteration. It is related to the question
of 'lataafat' that makes Urdu one of the most pleasing languages in the
world. My thesis is that this 'lataafat' in the 'lab-o-laihja' of the
Urdu language comes from a small number of 'silky-soft' sounds in its
alphabet --- and definitely 'Daal' and 'Re' are NOT in that list!!!
I would like to dwell on this question in some detail but the present
letter has already become too long. So, may be, I'll come back to this
question some other time.

In the meantime, I hope you'll consider my reasoning dispassionately
and will see through the point I have tried to make. You may still
continue to use 'D' for depicting these two sounds; I assure you I'll
never hold it against you! :-))

In any case, even in my original letter to Abida Saahiba, I never
stressed that she must use 'R' instead of 'D' to write 'bigaRta'. All I
said was that this is the way I prefer to do and why. I am glad that
your query gave me a chance to put forward my point at even a greater
length.

Khair-aNdesh, Raj Kumar