Trans Req - No sacrifice, no victory

ReGen...@aol.com

Jun 14, 2007, 3:32:55 PM6/14/07
Hey, it's a Transformers-themed translation request!
The family motto of the almost-fictional Witwicky clan (to which most
of the Humans in Transformers belong) is "No sacrifice, no victory."

Can I get that in Latin?

(I say almost-fictional because there have been only 2 deaths int he
last 50 years in the US with the surname Witwicky.)

-Derik

Johannes Patruus

Jun 14, 2007, 4:19:50 PM6/14/07

That's a bit tricky. This is a shot in the dark:

"Absque sui detrimento non datur victoria."

Patruus

Etrus...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2007, 8:38:55 PM6/14/07
On Jun 15, 3:19 am, Johannes Patruus <inva...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> That's a bit tricky. This is a shot in the dark:
>
> "Absque sui detrimento non datur victoria."
>
> Patruus

I like your translation of the motto (adage). It is very elegant and
well framed. I am ashamed to say that I would have translated into a
coarser rendering, i.e. "Sine sacrificio, non victoria."

Ed Cryer

Jun 15, 2007, 8:04:02 AM6/15/07

<Etrus...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Your version appeals to ancient practices better. I mean actual
sacrifices made before battle.
The Greeks claimed that Nicias lost the Athenian empire at Syracuse due
to over-zealous observation of bad omens in chicken livers.

Nulla nisi sacrificio datur victoria.

Ed

LauLuna

Jun 18, 2007, 11:44:45 AM6/18/07
On Jun 15, 2:04 pm, "Ed Cryer" <e...@somewhere.in.the.uk> wrote:
> <Etrusca...@gmail.com> wrote in message

But if 'sacrifice' is not meant in religious sense, it could be:

'nulla sine labore victoria'

Regards