Proposal: new language-type name (fwd)

Jack Durst

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 18:19:47 -0800
From: Gerald Koenig <j...@NETCOM.COM>
Subject: Re: Proposal: new language-type name

Julian said:

>The function of NGL is: to build a language for normal interpersonal
>communication among L1 users in the 21st century. In the process, to throw out
>all the excess cultural baggage accumulated in the earlier 20th century and
>before, the parts that are no longer relevant. As an example: implied sexism in
>word connotations. Also, to add into and/or otherwise remap the semantic space,
>so as to optimize it for usefulness, relevance, and future-proof-ness.
>
>Thus:
>
> * NGL is not an auxlang: it will be designed for L1 learners/users (who may or
> may not live in different countries).
> * NGL is not an artlang: it is intended to be deployed in RL on multi-milion
> user scale. It has a purpose beyond being a neat hobby.
> * NGL is not a logiclang: it will be built around linguistic universals so as
> to be easy for L1 learners, logical parts will be an add-on module at most.
>Julian Morrison

This is a very clear goal statement and I hope it finds its way into the
FAQ. Perhaps what makes NGL different from IALs its willingness to start
from scratch with no agenda other than the creation of a very functional
language, as Julian has just articulated above. That is why in my
opinion we need to do more than just take off-the-shelf language parts
and assemble them quickly. We need to rethink language from the ground
up preserving what works and innovating to replace what does not. BTW I
am writing a vector based tense system and I think I can see the end in
sight although it is still not all on paper. I look forward to
thoughtful criticisms and improvements when I finish it.

Gerald Koenig

Help Make NGL a Better Language than has been known.

Jack Durst

Nov 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/18/97

Another interesting statement about the function and status of NGLK

Sincerely,
Jack Durst
Sp...@sierra.net
[this posting written in Net English]