We want NickServ back!

Tomaz Borstnar

Feb 3, 1994, 10:50:57 AM2/3/94
Hello!

I think this step was necessary, because old NickServ is gone! We NEED
nickserv to prevent confusion with borrowed or "borrowed" (read: stealed)
nicks and many people had problems because few people took advantage of
current situation! I think we need new nickserv with ability to /KILL!

Nickserv should have same user interface as now except that it wouldn't just
print warning that this nick is registered, but also /KILL (ab)user if he/she
couldn't authenticate after some time (5-10 minutes comes to mind first). This
way abusers won't have oportunity to hold nick forever and ops will have more
peace, because NickServ will take care of everything!

route add /dev/null
/me is preparing for a flame from #tz lamers ...

Tomaz
--
ARNES (Academic and research network of Slovenia) News admin
Phone:+386-61-125-9199 ext. 422; fax:+386-61-219-385

Helen T. Rose Davis

Feb 3, 1994, 11:55:10 AM2/3/94
TB> == Tomaz Borstnar <to...@arnes.si>

TB> I think this step was necessary, because old NickServ is gone! We
TB> NEED nickserv to prevent confusion with borrowed or "borrowed" (read:
TB> stealed) nicks and many people had problems because few people took
TB> advantage of current situation! I think we need new nickserv with
TB> ability to /KILL!

Bots that kill are lame!

TB> Nickserv should have same user interface as now except that it
TB> wouldn't just print warning that this nick is registered, but also
TB> /KILL (ab)user if he/she couldn't authenticate after some time (5-10
TB> minutes comes to mind first). This way abusers won't have oportunity
TB> to hold nick forever and ops will have more peace, because NickServ
TB> will take care of everything!

Nicknames are not owned. Nicknames have *never* been owned. Nicknames were
not owned while NickServ was around, and nicknames were not owned BEFORE
NickServ was around.

Do you want me to repeat that? NICKNAMES ARE NOT OWNED.

Having a bot with that much power is dangerous. As a member of the newly
formed bot-banning-servers alliance, I would take great exception to this
bot. In fact, I'd jupe the damned bot (A /kill'ing NickServ) and the
server it ran on.

A 5-10 minute delay doesn't work, since it's 5-10 minutes on the NickServ
end, and we all know how laggish the irc network can get. Just imagine,
you sign on with a "registered" nick (but don't know it), half an hour
later or so, NickServ sends you a message saying you're using a registered
nick, them *immediately* /kill's you -- see, NickServ thought it had given
you ten minutes, but really everything was lagged so you didn't get it
immediately.

Get real. NickServ may have been useful (though I didn't like its
flooding) but bringing it back and adding a /kill feature is immensely
lame. I, in fact, miss NickServ -- at least I miss messaging it and asking
when so-and-so last logged out. For that purpose *and that purpose only*
it was quite useful.

--Helen
member, bot-banning-server of America
--
Helen Trillian Rose Davis <hr...@kei.com, hr...@eff.org>
Kapor Enterprises, Inc. Flames to:

Bernhard Lorenz

Feb 3, 1994, 1:22:27 PM2/3/94
Tomaz Borstnar (to...@arnes.si) wrote:

[....]

As if it would matter, anyway: I can only support that proposition.

Regards, Bernhard.

Jon Green

Feb 5, 1994, 1:51:12 AM2/5/94
In <2iu7pf$r...@ninurta.fer.uni-lj.si> izt...@fer.uni-lj.si (Iztok Umek) writes:

>Now I expect flood in my mail box from Susanne (nick USA) in my
>mail box... like everytime I post something against lamericans ;)

Oh, Susanne is a mail-bot. Whenever you post news or send something to
operlist, the advanced AI of Susanne formulates a reply that first flames
you very subtly, then thinks out loud, then ends by wishing you peace
and prosperity or some other such cheezy ass-kissing phrase. Don't pay
any attention to her.

My $.02 on NickServ: let it RIP where it belongs.
--
* Jon Green * Still searching for the * Friley 5646 Lorch-Russell *
* jcg...@iastate.edu * queen of my double-wide * Ames, Iowa 50012-0001 *

Congratulations...you have just discovered the secret message.

Feb 5, 1994, 2:42:11 AM2/5/94
izt...@fer.uni-lj.si (Iztok Umek) writes:

>In article <2irfd3$d...@osiris.wu-wien.ac.at>,
>Bernhard Lorenz <lor...@news.wu-wien.ac.at> wrote:

>>As if it would matter, anyway: I can only support that proposition.

>Well I don't like bots with IRCop status (ability to kill) DWild comes
>to mind with his stupidity of bot with IRCop status...

Yep. This is truly lame. The only reason I can see for having a bot with
IRCop is the reason Rude does it with Botz: so it can /NOTICE those who
are hacking modes and not make them think it's just another dipwad crank
trying to get them to leave a channel so he can win a lame kick war.
Rude NEVER has his bot do /KILLs, and I don't think he even has that ability
built-in. btw...those who flame for automated /MSGs about mode hacks should
think about how the rest of the net who are mode +s get flooded with all
the SERVER_NOTICEs about all the mode hacks. Take #malaysia, for example,
because some twit thinks it is REALLY necessary to have not only one, but
a half dozen bots that each op him on /JOIN not only once, but three times,
the rest of us get a bit larger mode hack flood when his stupid bots are
out of synch.

>But NickServ would be nice to have (back), only with warning message,
>not killing ability...

>Trillian says that nicks are not owned and newer was.. true.. but I
>wonder how long would ppl stay on the net with her nick being used...

*chuckle* HOW true. I took her nick once just to test this out. I didn't
last any longer than Bustrbuny would riding a netsplit into #twilight_zone.
;-) Can you say there is just a bit of hypocrisy here? And even I don't care
all that much for others taking my nick so they can be an ass and make me
look like as much of a dweeb as they are by /MSGing someone "I want your hot
body!" or some other such crap. I agree that nicks aren't owned. It was just
nice to know that someone using a nick that you have been associated with for
a while KNEW it was used by you most of the time.

>She also said that she liked NickServ, but didn't like its flooding...
>If she would stick to her nick, maybe she wouldn't get flooded by
>NickServ notices ;)

Flooding? Spare me. The last version of NickServ didn't give out the more
annoying six to seven lines of /NOTICEs to those using registered nicks that
the old version did. As I recall, it was but ONE line. Is that a flood?
*sheesh* You must be overly sensitive if you can't handle that much
bandwidth hit on your end.

>I think lame(rican) kills with stupid so called reasons to kill floods
>the net even more than i.e. notices about "fake" channel modes (result
>of out of sync net).

*sigh* Isn't flamebait Vichael's trademark?

>Now I expect flood in my mail box from Susanne (nick USA) in my
>mail box... like everytime I post something against lamericans ;)

btw...I never saw a *.??? (read that a U.S. IRCop) /KILL any but lamers
stealing Nickserv's nick to trick other users. I DID, however, see a
couple of users OUTSIDE "Lamerica" do it to the real NickServ, though.

--
-sco...@ugly.ucs.indiana.edu
"oldpink" <--Love me or hate me. Either way, I don't give a rat's ass.

Message has been deleted

Martin Hebrank

Feb 5, 1994, 10:10:53 AM2/5/94

Let me relate this story about that damn nickserv.

I was on IRC quite a while ago. . .I even registered my nick, thinking
that it would help me keep it. . .Then, through no fault of my own,
I lost access to the net for just over the time it took for my nick
to expire. When I got back on someone else had registerd my nick.
That's when my .ircrc sprouted a new line:
/ignore nickserv all

I lost all respect/like for nickserv at that point.

** Martin

--
This message brought to you courtesy of:
Martin Hebrank

Raa Amon Zepol

Feb 5, 1994, 7:16:01 PM2/5/94
On Fri, 4 Feb 1994 20:36:22 GMT walt...@maroon.tc.umn.edu spaketh thusly:

> NickServ bites. 'nuff said.

But NoteServ was pretty cool ...

--
/\__.__/\/\_____/\_______/\_ __ /\_.___/\__. Raa Amon Zepol
\ | /\____ \ ____/\ \/ \ \ | \_ |__ Xaemyl et SuperTzar

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

John Kaiser

Feb 7, 1994, 7:02:56 AM2/7/94
<2irfd3$d...@osiris.wu-wien.ac.at>

Just came across this newgroup and the topic at hand...

NickServ with the ability to kill would be extremely lame in my opinion.
All it would take is some fool to register a bunch of nicks of people he
didn't like, and blammo, one person ends up causing several alot of
needless anguish.

This happened to me, once. Someone who I was having a disagreement with
at the time registered my nick, and several other of my friends, and
having to tell everyone "hey, its me... some lamer registered my nick"
everytime you signon certainly detracted from the IRC experience.

Now, I agree that nicks have never been, aren't now, and probably will
never be the property of anyone. And for me, thats just the way I like
it. If you have to have a nickserv, make it send that little warning and
then be done with it.

John Markus Bjoerndalen

Feb 6, 1994, 11:15:18 AM2/6/94
What about removing nicks totally ? Or just making it an
attribute that doesn't identify you on irc ?

The point is that it seems people want to use nicks
mainly for two reasons
1. They want to play some sort of a role on a channel.
2. They want to be recognized by their friends on irc.

Nicks used to be a nice way of recognizing people when
there were 100-200 people online, the chances for somebody
to choose the same nick as yours weren't that big...
But nowadays you got to be very imaginative to come up
with a nick that won't collide every now and then.

And, if irc grows... well... it's going to become impossible
unless everybody chooses nicks like s87g8sdf7.

Sensible ircers will probably grow tired of having to invent
a new nick every now and then and then reintroduce themselves
to their old friends every time... if it grows into a fight
every time you log on irc to find a new nick irc will die.

So, in order to identify people we need to give people
a unique identifier somehow. Along with it they could have
a password so they might "log on" to that id. In that way
it would be very hard to "steal" somebodys id to emberass
them.

And it would mean that people won't have a problem recognizing
their friends either. (Depending on how easy the ids
are to read. If they are hard, you might have to get a little
help from a smart client).

Making unique ids and distributed "id servers" shouldn't be too
hard since there are common techniques for this, it's just
a matter of having the time to code this into the servers.
(Yes... it should be in the servers, so that you can't trick
it somehow). (Or maybe I should say, can't trick it that
easily ;-) )

Of course you might run into the problem of having to type
long ids when you want to msg someone, but that can be
solved by having an alias function so you can alias the
id of a friend you want to talk to.

Then... on channels people could perhaps use their nicks
but we might say that nicks should be uniqe on channels.

Got to run for dinner so I don't have the time to complete
this, but I hope this will be enough to
start a discussion of how to remove this nick problem.

--
/ John Markus Bjørndalen
/ jo...@stud.cs.uit.no (uit)

Helen T. Rose Davis

Feb 6, 1994, 11:57:02 AM2/6/94
Bj|rn> == Bj|rn Borud <bo...@alkymi.unit.no>

|> Trillian says that nicks are not owned and newer was.. true.. but I
|> wonder how long would ppl stay on the net with her nick being used...

Bj|rn> OK. I bet Trillian kills anybody using "her" nickname. I'm not
Bj|rn> saying I agree on this but I can understand if an oper kills
Bj|rn> a person "stealing" nicks only because (s)he wants to be a pain
Bj|rn> in the pathokus.

I don't /kill anyone using my nick, I've already taken this up in email
with sco...@indiana.edu who said I had /kill'ed him for using "my"
nickname.

|> She also said that she liked NickServ, but didn't like its flooding...
|> If she would stick to her nick, maybe she wouldn't get flooded by
|> NickServ notices ;)

Bj|rn> Hehehehehehe. Good point ! ;-)

The concern of NickServ sending long (7-10 line) messages has nothing to
do with me being flooded by them (I have a 68 line screen at work, not
exactly something that can't handle 7-10 lines :-) -- it has to do with
concern for the irc network. It can be laggy enough without having
NickServ contribute to it. Last figures I heard was when NickServ was
"flooding", it was sending out over 450megabytes *per week*!

Disgusting.

--Helen

Celebnaur...

Feb 6, 1994, 1:09:17 PM2/6/94
Hmmmm...well, like most suggestions, yours has pros and cons. You
see, as chop on various channels, I get msg's from random ppl asking
me questions simply because of that big hairy '@' next to my name, and
I have a duty and responsibility as chop to respond. But I don't want
to be typing in long nicks, and who wants to alias a command that
will only be used once? So I like having nicks with 8/9 chars,
even if it means *gasp* using my imagination to come up with a nick
that would not make the Top 50 Nicks That Pop Into Your Head Easily
list.

On the other hand, we do have the problem of nickstealing. Now, I'm
not overly concerned for my nick, because 1) I have no social life
and am online all the time anyways, 2) all the security settings
check my $USERHOST() anyways, and 3) the ppl that I know are aware
of how I act; if you steal my nick and go proposition everyone, it's
a safe bet that someone will know it's not me. :)

But at any rate, I like your idea of having some sort of IRC-login-
and-passwd that would 'release' use of the appropriate nick (not
nicks, just one per passwd) to you, regardless of your USERHOST().
I would prefer having this as a function of the irc servers them-
selves, so you wouldn't even get into the net proper without first
giving the passwd. But, that in turn raises the questions of, how
do we keep such a bloody huge database in every server, how do we
update it, and how do we choose who gets what nick at the start?
(e.g., if she wasn't already well known, I could submit the nick
"Trillian" possibly faster than the real HRD could, and then she'd
get screwed out of her already owned nick.)

Looking to the future. :-)

(P.S.- re that last; HRD does own "Trillian" even though she won't
admit to it. All the regulars have some sort of "traditional use"
of "their" nicks after a period of time. If a newbie happens upon
the same nick, EXPLAIN it and ask them to change. But if I /nick
Trillian and cause trouble, I would understand being /killed. On
the other hand, I would hope that Trillian, et al, wouldn't get
hyper because of the same reasons I wouldn't, up in para. #2.)

--
GrayNyte aka
Phil Edwards, pedw...@valhalla.cs.wright.edu (513)873-6123

Steven Dake

Feb 8, 1994, 12:03:04 PM2/8/94
In article <1994Feb7.0...@news.cs.indiana.edu> "Congratulations...you have just discovered the secret message." <sco...@ugly.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:
[WORTHLESS CRAP DELETED]
>All I can say is, uhmm...why bother? Last time I checked (Vichael
>notwithstanding), you couldn't get any kind of legal action taken against
>you for something you did on IRC short of turning someone into a bot that
>follows your every command, account cracking, or ICMP. Maybe there actually
>is something valuable in all those logs, but I'll be damned if I could find
>an editor that would load such a file inside this decade. ;-) *yikes*

Uhh, what is account cracking and ICMP?

Do you really know ?

>[snip]

>>--Helen
>>--
>>Helen Trillian Rose Davis <hr...@kei.com, hr...@eff.org>
>>Kapor Enterprises, Inc. Flames to:
>>Systems and Networks Administration women-not-to-...@kei.com
>>I like: DL, WN, Boeing I don't like: NW, HP, Airbus

Justin Gould

Feb 8, 1994, 4:48:47 PM2/8/94
Actually, my viewpoint on this one is a little more simple: expand the size
of allowable nicknames, and allow spaces. Say, make the nickname length
30 characters or so. I always thought that might quell a little unrest.

Justin/Godfather

Helen T. Rose Davis

Feb 8, 1994, 5:07:07 PM2/8/94
JG> == Justin Gould <jkl...@shell.portal.com>

JG> Actually, my viewpoint on this one is a little more simple: expand
JG> the size of allowable nicknames, and allow spaces. Say, make the
JG> nickname length 30 characters or so. I always thought that might
JG> quell a little unrest.

Not gonna happen in ircd2.x

Ask anyone who's been around more than 2 years if they remember when
someone tried to increase the nick limit to 10 chars on the current
network. *Instant* death!

If a user on a "new" server had a nick abcdefghij (10 chars) and someone
on an "old" server changed to the nick abcdefghi (9 chars) then the
10-char user would be nick-collided out of existence.

Wait for 3.x

Of course, in 3.x, unique global nicknames may not exist at all :)

james r grinter

Feb 8, 1994, 7:45:16 PM2/8/94
In article <2j92eb$g...@kei.com> hr...@kei.com (Helen T. Rose Davis) writes:
JG> == Justin Gould <jkl...@shell.portal.com>

JG> Actually, my viewpoint on this one is a little more simple: expand
JG> the size of allowable nicknames, and allow spaces. Say, make the

Not gonna happen in ircd2.x

[bit deleted]

Wait for 3.x

Of course, in 3.x, unique global nicknames may not exist at all :)

Especially as it would mean yet more global state if it were done this
way..

James.

bryan collins

Feb 9, 1994, 12:46:46 AM2/9/94
Justin Gould (jkl...@shell.portal.com) wrote:
: Actually, my viewpoint on this one is a little more simple: expand the size

: of allowable nicknames, and allow spaces. Say, make the nickname length
: 30 characters or so. I always thought that might quell a little unrest.

oh.. i pity those who don't have cut and paste as it is...

imagine trying to type in a 30 char nick in a hurry :)

Bry

--

bryan collins

email:
br...@raid.ctpm.uq.oz.au

like I care what you think?

Iztok Umek

Feb 9, 1994, 4:33:28 AM2/9/94
In article <1994Feb7.1...@news.cs.indiana.edu>,
Congratulations...you have just discovered the secret message. <sco...@ugly.ucs.indiana.edu> wrote:

>>You don't need IRC op status for that.. or do U?
>I think at least some do. And, besides, since when can you (or anyone else
>on your current server, for that matter) tell if YOU are hacking? Last time
>I checked when I was desynched, I had to use one of two ways to find out.
>1) Someone /MSGs (or auto-notices) me that I am hacking, 2) I do a /WHOIS
><some server other than my own> <my nick>. If the channels I show as having
>op on my current server don't show likewise on the other server, I know
>something is out of whack. But, how many newbies are going to know enough
>to do that?
>>I think +sw for nick does the trick...
>nope. See above.

Really?

What more info does +o brings that +sw doesn't?

You recive server and walops notices with +sw so there is no need for +o.

So server is the one who notices the other part for "hacks".

You can't be desynched on your part of net.. so you don't get that info for
yourself.. the other side recives that desync message..

I think ordinary /luser can set +sw so no need for +o status...

Regards,
Iztok

Message has been deleted

Congratulations...you have just discovered the secret message.

Feb 9, 1994, 1:37:05 PM2/9/94
s...@pine.cse.nau.edu (Steven Dake) writes:

>In article <1994Feb7.0...@news.cs.indiana.edu> "Congratulations...you have just discovered the secret message." <sco...@ugly.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:
>[WORTHLESS CRAP DELETED]
>>All I can say is, uhmm...why bother? Last time I checked (Vichael
>>notwithstanding), you couldn't get any kind of legal action taken against
>>you for something you did on IRC short of turning someone into a bot that
>>follows your every command, account cracking, or ICMP. Maybe there actually
>>is something valuable in all those logs, but I'll be damned if I could find
>>an editor that would load such a file inside this decade. ;-) *yikes*

>Uhh, what is account cracking and ICMP?

>Do you really know ?

Is this some kind of trick question? *sheesh*

th...@brule.forsci.ualberta.ca

Feb 9, 1994, 11:08:21 PM2/9/94
bo...@alkymi.unit.no (Bj|rn Borud) writes:

> It was your own fault lamer ! Don't register a nick if you don'tt
> intend to use it. There was actually a REASON why nicks expired.

Lamer indeed....

Then can you tell me why I have been harrassed by NickServ for using a
nick whose original registrant hasn't logged on in over a month?

james r grinter

Feb 9, 1994, 11:37:20 PM2/9/94
In article <2jaal9$5...@ninurta.fer.uni-lj.si> izt...@fer.uni-lj.si (Iztok Umek) writes:
You recive server and walops notices with +sw so there is no need for +o.

As far as I've ever seen, none. Which is good, cos it means everyone
listening gets flooded with 'No more connection' and 'connection
refused' notices and not just me :)

In fact, I think the original poster meant that having +o status (and
hence the presumed dinky little *, its a real pain folks' - people
expect you to know the answer to every computing problem, not just IRC
ones :-) leant more weight to an automated response to a user.

James.

Ove Ruben R Olsen

Feb 10, 1994, 4:51:14 AM2/10/94
Soneone:

>Then can you tell me why I have been harrassed by NickServ for using a
>nick whose original registrant hasn't logged on in over a month?

Nicks expire normaly after 10 weeks.

But since some LAMErican fucked the NS, expire will not be run somewhere
after the 23rd this month.

\Ruben.

--
Ove Ruben "Gnarfer" R Olsen a VI user. IRCNO Secretary. Prefered: ru...@uib.no
tISG#: ORO01. Maintaining the EX/VI-archive and a couple of Comp.Editors FAQ's.

David Hall

Feb 10, 1994, 1:40:58 PM2/10/94
borud@vann (Bj|rn Borud) writes:

>Mr.Conway so I wouldn't know about that... But let me put it like
>this; who can, without lying, say that they have NEVER, EVER killed
>another luser because the person was running around wearing your nick
>and behaving like an idiot on a bunch of channels...?

Me. Why not? Because the channels I hang out on know who I am. And
for those other channels, why should I care if they hate my guts? After
all, they are the OTHER channels. *I* don't go over there! *I* don't
care if somebody has used my nick to fuck with them because *I* will
never see the revenge!

I have a standard policy. If somebody uses the nick DaveMan, I use the
nick DaveMan_. It works quite nicely thank you very much.

Dave "I hate fucking bots even if I have written a few" Man

| David Hall (DaveMan) | |
| | "Between expert and |
| deh...@mailhost.ecn.uoknor.edu | novice lies ego." |
| deh...@aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu | |
| Note: These opinions are mine and have nothing to do with my job. |

Bj|rn Borud

Feb 10, 1994, 1:44:23 PM2/10/94
In article <1994Feb10....@kakwa.ucs.ualberta.ca>,

I don't know how long it takes before a nick expires. Also note that
Nickserv has been very unstable lately for several reasons. If you
have complaints about nickserv please contact those who run it. Don't
whine here.

-Bjorn

## Bjorn Borud ## Email : Bjorn...@alkymi.unit.no ##
## NTH ## http://www.pvv.unit.no/brukere/borud.html ##
## Ozelot@IRC ## PGP : finger oze...@irc.nvg.unit.no ##

Richard T Jensen

Feb 11, 1994, 2:46:23 PM2/11/94
In article <2j51uu$n...@osiris.wu-wien.ac.at>,
Bernhard Lorenz <lor...@news.wu-wien.ac.at> wrote:
>Iztok Umek (izt...@fer.uni-lj.si) wrote:
>
>: "Nicks are not owned!" yeah!
>

>no, they are not, just some people are closer to owning them ;-)
>
>regards, bernhard.

I sort of "own" my nick, but thats only because it is fairly unusual.
and not too many people would think of it as a nick to use!

but, I did appreciate when nickserv allowed the "registering" of nicks,
as it did warn (not flood - just one line) a new user that they were
using a nick which might cause them to be confused with the regular user
of the nick. and it also suggested they change the nick to avoid
confusion.

one last comment,

ive been on irc for just under 1.5 semesters, and have yet to see a
manual. if someone has a copy of the file, please e-mail it to me so i
can print it out, and have a copy so i am more easily able to do the
channel op chores when i'm hosting the channel?
thanks!

Rick
aka
DrWelbyMD
regular on three or four channels
/msg me if you have any questions

P.M.E.

Feb 13, 1994, 1:30:42 AM2/13/94
In <2jgnaf$4...@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu>, Richard T Jensen sez:
> ive been on irc for just under 1.5 semesters, and have yet to see a
> manual. if someone has a copy of the file, please e-mail it to me so i
> can print it out, and have a copy so i am more easily able to do the
> channel op chores when i'm hosting the channel?

There isn't one; clients vary too much. The IRC Primer is still very
good, very relevent, assuming you have 2.2.9 or thereabouts. I got mine
from anon ftp from cs.bu.edu (/irc/support, I believe), or catch me
online and I can DCC or mail it to you. With luck, I'll try and mail
it to you when I'm done with this followup...

GrayNyte The #airwaves are open to all.
--
Phil Edwards, pedw...@valhalla.cs.wright.edu (513)873-6123
You don't *want* to know what we do for a living.

matthew green

Feb 13, 1994, 4:52:58 AM2/13/94
In <2j92eb$g...@kei.com> hr...@kei.com (Helen T. Rose Davis) writes:

>JG> == Justin Gould <jkl...@shell.portal.com>

> JG> Actually, my viewpoint on this one is a little more simple: expand
> JG> the size of allowable nicknames, and allow spaces. Say, make the
> JG> nickname length 30 characters or so. I always thought that might
> JG> quell a little unrest.

>Not gonna happen in ircd2.x

nothing will be.

>Ask anyone who's been around more than 2 years if they remember when
>someone tried to increase the nick limit to 10 chars on the current
>network. *Instant* death!

much more than 2 years, i'd say. 'twas a story to me, not
something i remember.

>If a user on a "new" server had a nick abcdefghij (10 chars) and someone
>on an "old" server changed to the nick abcdefghi (9 chars) then the
>10-char user would be nick-collided out of existence.

... forever and ever and ever. never again to return to irc.

>Wait for 3.x

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

>Of course, in 3.x, unique global nicknames may not exist at all :)

in 3.x it will wash the dishes for you too.

th...@brule.forsci.ualberta.ca

Feb 13, 1994, 6:28:22 PM2/13/94
bu...@alf.uib.no (Ove Ruben R Olsen) writes:

>>Then can you tell me why I have been harrassed by NickServ for using a
>>nick whose original registrant hasn't logged on in over a month?

>Nicks expire normaly after 10 weeks.

> But since some LAMErican fucked the NS, expire will not be run
> somewhere after the 23rd this month.

What is a "LAMErican" (as if I can't guess)... :)

What exactly are you saying here -- that any nick still in the
database after the 23rd will remain there _forever_?

And what did this "LAMErican" _do_ to NameServ that so aroused your
ire?

Richard T Jensen

Feb 13, 1994, 6:54:10 PM2/13/94
In article <CL5Gr...@mercury.wright.edu>,

Thanks to all who responded, and special thanks to Phil for sending me
the copy of the primer!

Rick aka DrWelbyMD

Ove Ruben R Olsen

Feb 14, 1994, 5:55:54 AM2/14/94
<unknown>:

>What exactly are you saying here -- that any nick still in the
>database after the 23rd will remain there _forever_?

No, I say that the NickServ database will not be checked against expired
nick before the 23rd at least. This date may be prolonged since NS has been
off-line this weekend too.

th...@brule.forsci.ualberta.ca

Feb 14, 1994, 12:11:22 PM2/14/94
borud@vann (Bj|rn Borud) writes:

>>Then can you tell me why I have been harrassed by NickServ for using a
>>nick whose original registrant hasn't logged on in over a month?

> I don't know how long it takes before a nick expires. Also note that
> Nickserv has been very unstable lately for several reasons. If you
> have complaints about nickserv please contact those who run
> it. Don't whine here.

FYI, I have not only written to the individual I was told is in charge
of the server, but to the original registrant of the nick as well.

As for my "whining", I will continue to post here when and as I see
fit, and I doubt seriously that there's a damned thing that YOU can do
about it!

You don't seem to know much about the NickServer; how much do you know
about newsreader kill-files?

Message has been deleted

bryan collins

Feb 16, 1994, 11:27:27 AM2/16/94

god damn your all insane.. you don't want nickserv back i don't want nickserv
back..

if its such a great service.. why does it send crap to me yet it won't
answer my queries?

its a hacked server.. you cannot /ignore it.. short of makeing a /on server_notice.

its useless and a waste.

flames are quite welcome.. but email only.

Bry
--

bryan collins

email:
b...@ctpm.org

Rich Nienhuis

Feb 16, 1994, 12:10:37 PM2/16/94
Lord Grafx (not Lord NeXT).

--
*-----------------------------------------*
|Nien...@csis.gvsu.edu| Vote Nienhuis [A[D[3~*[B[D|
|[B[A[A[B[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[Delm.csis.gvsu.edu| vote nienhuis[A[D[D[D[D----*[B[D|[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[DN[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[B[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[
D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D[D*--------------------------+ [A[D[3~[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[C[B[D[D[D[D[D[Dfor[D[D[D for[C[C[C[C[C[C|

th...@brule.forsci.ualberta.ca

Feb 17, 1994, 1:30:36 PM2/17/94
bo...@alkymi.unit.no (Bj|rn Borud) writes:

> Good for you. So why do you bother to post here. People don't really
> give a shit on this newsgroup if your nick is lost.

If you're referring to IRC operators, then they probably don't give a
shit about much of anything.... YOU certainly appear to fit that
description.

You sit at your keyboard, and because you're an "IRC operator", think
you're king shit of turd mountain. A power trip -- that's all it is --
a power trip which conceals a socially challenged personality.

I started off with a very neutrally worded question, and from you I
receive a flame -- just like on IRC.

It's people like you that prove to me the real value of a place like
UnderNet.

Why don't you get a _real_ life?

Tom

Levi Brown

Feb 21, 1994, 5:51:53 PM2/21/94

Tom, what's UnderNet?

May sound like a really stupid question, but my server doesn't allow IRC and I
don't have any background about it's "special places". Thanks.

Levi

th...@brule.forsci.ualberta.ca

Feb 23, 1994, 1:00:40 PM2/23/94
lab...@oregon.uoregon.edu (Levi Brown) writes:

> Tom, what's UnderNet?

> May sound like a really stupid question, but my server doesn't allow
> IRC and I don't have any background about it's "special places".
> Thanks.

Undernet is another IRC "domain". The larger network that many people
talk about is called EFNet.

It's essentially a smaller (but growing) IRC domain using the same
technology as EFNet. Its primary characteristics are that it's peopled
with IRC operators who are a LOT more friendly than the majority of
IRC opers encountered on EFNet.

I want to clarify, though, that I _have_ met several IRC opers on
EFNet who are truly excellent people -- I only wish there were more...

Here's a partial list of Undernet servers that can be connected to
using an IRC client.

pasadena.ca.us.undernet.org
stgeorge.ut.us.undernet.org
philadelphia.pa.us.undernet.org
albany.ny.us.undernet.org
ames.ia.us.undernet.org
syracuse.ny.us.undernet.org
chicago.il.us.undernet.org
fargo.nd.us.undernet.org
fayetteville.ar.us.undernet.org
manhattan.ks.us.undernet.org
milwaukee.wi.us.undernet.org
montreal.qu.ca.undernet.org
norman.ok.us.undernet.org
gainesville.fl.us.undernet.org
bordeaux.fr.eu.undernet.org
caen.fr.eu.undernet.org
crete.gr.eu.undernet.org
delft.nl.eu.undernet.org
lausanne.ch.eu.undernet.org
ljubljana.Si.Eu.undernet.org
paris.FR.EU.undernet.org
paris.fr.eu.undernet.org:7000
puebla.mx.undernet.org
vienna.at.eu.undernet.org
wollongong.nsw.au.undernet.org

Levi Brown

Feb 28, 1994, 2:19:30 AM2/28/94
In article <1994Feb23.1...@kakwa.ucs.ualberta.ca>, th...@brule.forsci.ualberta.ca () writes:

>lab...@oregon.uoregon.edu (Levi Brown) writes:
>
>> Tom, what's UnderNet?
>
>> May sound like a really stupid question, but my server doesn't allow
>> IRC and I don't have any background about it's "special places".
>> Thanks.

Thanks a ton. I appreciate the help.

-Levi