What would you want to see in a Cthulh computer game ?

Andrew Brazier

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
Hi all,

As discussed here before there are a few Mythos inspired computer games
around, such as AITD, Resident Evil and Silent Hill.

What I want to know is, if a new game were to be made completely based
on the Cthulhu Mythos, what sort of game would you like to see ? A
Quake-style blast-em-up, a Resident Evil style action-adventure, or
something more RPG based ? With multiplayer elements aswell ? And
orientated more to puzzle solving, though and character development, or
more based on action and horror-excitement ?

All comments and suggestions appreciated,

--
Andrew

armi...@berk.com

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
In article <375E382B...@adventuresoft.com>,
How about a resource management/mission-based game like Warcraft or
Starcraft? You could control the forces of the Mythos, trying to gather
power and minions to overrun the world. Or you could choose to control
humanity, trying to save the world from the forces of the Mythos.
Granted, it's a bit Lumley-ish (Wilmarth Foundation) and it might be
difficult to ensure that the human units weren't completely overpowered,
but I've always been found of Blizzard's games.

armi...@berk.com
"No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos. Know Nyarlathotep, KnowChaos."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

M. Stagg

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
>What I want to know is, if a new game were to be made completely based
>on the Cthulhu Mythos, what sort of game would you like to see ? A
>Quake-style blast-em-up, a Resident Evil style action-adventure, or
>something more RPG based ? With multiplayer elements aswell ? And
>orientated more to puzzle solving, though and character development, or
>more based on action and horror-excitement ?

I think an RPG-type game would work quite well. Though it'd be difficlut to
resist the urge to translate all the mythos' weird creatures into the game
for you to battle at the offset. Trying to keep the game as 'normal' as
possible - but still have the abitity to chill.

Of course the extensive plot and character develpoment will all go to make
the ending even more harrowing when the player completes the game - only to
be annihilated by some unforseen terror in a poignant reminder of the
futility of man.

Oh I've spoilt the ending - what a shame. Seriously thought I think there is
alot of room for develpment in the horror-'em-up video games genre.

Mark

Hate Machine

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
I would like to see a Metal Gear Solid style game based on The Shadow Over
Innsmouth. That would really be smart, as there was a lot of sneaking around
in that story. For those who don't know, Metal Gear Solid is, as described
on the box, a 'tactical espionage action' game, which basically means
sneaking around and trying to avoid conflict (as you WILL die against
superior numbers) instead of running around guns a-blazing.

Also, I think another cool idea would be a first-person shooter like Quake,
but with more emphasis on puzzles, exploring and role play than on shooting
everything. Something like Hexen II, maybe?
Quake it's-self was fairly Lovecraftian, but the solo game was very dull and
a chore to play through.

Matt
ma...@hate-machine.freeserve.co.uk
"Comfort, it's taste - convenient to follow
Bite size lies are much easier to swallow" - Product Placement

Lt Ricardo

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99

>As discussed here before there are a few Mythos inspired computer games
>around, such as AITD, Resident Evil and Silent Hill.

Resident Evil? The RE games seemed to be based more on horror/sci-fi movies
(especially the Alien series - the chest-bursting scenes from RE2 were directly
lifted and the Tyrant corridor elevator was probably a homage to Aliens - look
EVER SO CLOSELY at the elevator Ripley and the Queen take to the landing
pad...).

>What I want to know is, if a new game were to be made completely based
>on the Cthulhu Mythos, what sort of game would you like to see ? A
>Quake-style blast-em-up, a Resident Evil style action-adventure, or
>something more RPG based ? With multiplayer elements aswell ? And
>orientated more to puzzle solving, though and character development, or
>more based on action and horror-excitement ?

Think of Silent Hill. Now imagine that rather than seeing your character from
the third person (like in AITD and RE), you saw through their eyes. That would
be the best game ever, because:

1. It could ditch all RE comparisons and would be classed as being very orignal
(even though Realms of the Haunted did the idea a few years earlier with a
haunted house).

2. The rubbish combat system that ruined the game could be replaced with the
tried-and-tested, yet ever popular, Quake system.

3. They could use an existing first-person graphics engine to provide excellent
graphics (think Tenka or Shadow Master), as SH's graphics were pretty poor.

4. The atmosphere would be greater because it would seem like the events were
happening to YOU, not some idiotic writer (although he does dress like me,
which is nice).

5. Exploring a detailed town through first person perspective would be THE
coolest thing ever. In the entire world. Even better, the action could be moved
into the 1930s, which would be like actually being IN a HPL story (only without
the damage to your sanity that would probably ensue).

So then, if the aforementioned game suddenly appears at my local Electronics
Boutique, then I expect half the royalties...

LtRi...@aol.com
"Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to
Strawberry Fields,
Nothing is real,
And Nothing to get hung about
Strawberry fields forever."

Lennon/McCartney

Boyd .

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
1st person RPG that moves like a shooter?
What about Ultima Ascension?

I would like the game to be like Silent Hill with RPG elements such as
character creation and non-linear stories. It should be multiplayer too,
set in a virtual world, or a virtual New England setting with Dunwich,
Arkham, Innsmouth, and Kingsport. Plus Providence, R.I. It could be
online too.

Daniel Alan Ross

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Somehow this doesn't seem to add up.
In bullet point #1, you ask that it be original, then in your remaining
bullet points you proceed to say how great it would be if it was exactly
like Quake or one of its clones. Now how is that original? If you want
that, wait for the Unreal mod Sleepwalker to come out. I'm not saying
it's bad to want such a thing and I look forward to seeing Sleepwalker
finished, but it's not an entirely original concept.

Though I agree that walking around in a 20's or 30's setting would be
fun.

Dan

Tobias Persson

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Well, one of my favourite game genres is the Rogue-like RPG (Nethack,
Angband, ADOM - those games) - something like that, except with a 1920's
Lovecraftian setting, would be The Best IMO.
The textmode display of the Roguelikes would probably have to be
replaced with "real" graphics for it to be commercially successful,
though. (unfortunate becase no graphics would be perfect for the
imagination-inspiring Mythos theme)
The gameplay would have to be focused more on exploration and suspense
than the combat that most RPGs are centered on, to make it a "real"
horror game - a hack & slash game like Diablo isn't what I have in mind.
Settings like villages (Innsmouth?), mansions, catacombs, ancient
cities, and other Lovecraftian staples, all randomly-generated at the
start of each game would be necessary... A strong element should be
finding clues about some huge plot.

Just some thoughts.

Andrew Brazier wrote:

> Hi all,

> As discussed here before there are a few Mythos inspired computer games
> around, such as AITD, Resident Evil and Silent Hill.
>

> What I want to know is, if a new game were to be made completely based
> on the Cthulhu Mythos, what sort of game would you like to see ? A
> Quake-style blast-em-up, a Resident Evil style action-adventure, or
> something more RPG based ? With multiplayer elements aswell ? And
> orientated more to puzzle solving, though and character development, or
> more based on action and horror-excitement ?

Jon Osborn

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
In <375E382B...@adventuresoft.com>, Andrew Brazier wrote:

>All comments and suggestions appreciated,

Multiplayer cooperative capable, 1st person viewpoint, RPG.

A 1st person RPG that moves like a 1st person shooter is waiting to be
created.

--
"Where do those stairs go?"
"They go up."

KFBT (PATRICKS) #2

Marko Peric

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Andrew Brazier wrote:

> What I want to know is, if a new game were to be made completely based
> on the Cthulhu Mythos, what sort of game would you like to see ?

When "Wheel of Time" comes out (Legend Entertainment) you'll get the
idea. A first-person perspective, RPG, based on a beautiful looking
3D-engine (Unreal, or Quake3). All the combat abilities of Quake/Unreal,
too. Rich and interactive music and sound.

If you can't wait forever for a full game, then maybe you can wait a
few months for the Sleepwalker project: http://www.arkhamlab.com It's an
Unreal Total Conversion based on Lovecraft's stories.

Cheers,
--
Marko Peric lone...@tig.com.au
http://homepages.tig.com.au/~lonewolf

GigiloAunt

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
>A Quake-style blast-em-up, a Resident Evil style action-adventure, or
something more RPG based ?<
>Andrew Brazier

I've had several ideas for such games in the past, and have some ideas for
conditions for a Cthulhu Mythos type game.

1) Mandatory multiplayers. It seems the best situation for a Mythos game would
be an RPG type, but then RPG's kind of suck when there's only one player and
you're going against a program instead of with/against other players. Perhaps
a combination of the first person perspective of Quake like games with the RPG
situation, so you could explore locations and converse with other players
and/or computer generated characters.

2) Good atmosphere. This done through graphics and background effects/music.
None of this NIN pounding crap, but creepy, otherwordly music.

3) A good backstory, based heavily on the availible works in the Mythos (the
good ones). Perhaps a series of books like Chaosim does. The main thing is
that some good amount of research is required.

4) The ultimate qualification for a Cthulhu Mythos game, that would keep it in
line with HPL's original vision: It must be impossible to win.

Richard
"It's not the size of your ISP that counts, it's how you use it."
-Vote Libertarian
http://members.aol.com/GigiloAunt/index.html

HoosierJA

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
>4) The ultimate qualification for a Cthulhu Mythos game, that would keep it
>in
>line with HPL's original vision: It must be impossible to win.

Bravo.

Jay

Mika-Petri Lauronen

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Just my humble opinion:

I think that HPL's works shouldn't be translated into a computer game. Just
think about the stories: the narrator is usually powerless amongst the greater
forces, and if he doesn't end up insane, he's probably dead. Well, "Dunwich
Horror" is a deviation.

Killing up mythos monsters is not HPL-style. I don't even use much Mythos
monsters in my Call of Cthulhu campaign, because that would be - well, deadly
and dull. What I prefer are the mad, powerful and respected cultists (like a
mayor or world-famous artist) and minor horrors (like a city of vampires, trying
to hide and to survive. Thank you, HPL, for "Shadow over Innsmouth"!). If you
make a game based on those, it wouldn't be very successful.

The modern computer horror games should take their inspiration from Alien and
the works of, say, Clive Barker. Fast, furious and bloody. But that's not
horror. Adrenaline prevails.
* Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try. - Yoda - *
Mika-Petr...@oulu.fi

Stefan Walter

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Suggestions for a computer game based on the Cthulhu Mythos:

1) A good story. The story should develop slowly in the game, and it should
be in a way realistic (meaning how the protagonist(s) get involved etc.).
It shouldn't be a story that develops by itself; the player should have to
investigate/research and slowly reveal the horror. Something similar to
Shadow of the Comet would be great.
2) A game based on the Mythos would best play in an old town like
Innsmouth, Arkham etc., in the ruins of an old house. Just one of the
classic settings for HPL's stories. Places like the Dreamworld wouldn't be
bad either, but I think it wouldn't chill like something playing in the
real world.
3) The game should be oriented to puzzle solving, i.e. investigating and
finding out more. The puzzles should integrate into the story, just
something like pushing some buttons in the correct order wouldn't add to
the atmosphere.
4) A Mythos-game certainly shouldn't be a blast-em-up, and a RPG would be
boring without other players - something like Resident Evil would be great.

5) Most important: Putting too many monsters into the game and showing too
many details of them wouldn't be that good for a game related to Lovecraft.
The horror should base on the things one does not see clearly. Plus,
enemies one cannot fight but has to avoid or shake off would be much more
interesting than shooting them.
6) The background music should be creepy! However, nothing like in Quake 2,
just doesn't fit.

To sum it up, a Resident-Evil-like game with a 3D-engine like Quake's,
creepy backround music, lots of mysteries and hideous creatures hiding in
the shadows of an old house/town would be it!

SW

Andrew Brazier

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Thanks everyone for your comments - all very interesting. But now to go
a bit further - if it was going to be a 1st person through the eyes
style game, what about the multiplayer element ?

There are a few different ways it could be approached, these being -

1) Quake style everyone-versus-everyone else deathmath (surely not
suitable ?)
2) Doom style everyone vs. everyone else + monsters
3) Co-operative multiplayer - teams or partnerships vs. other teams
4) Co-operative multiplayer vs. computer - a team of players go up
against a level of monsters, puzzles etc.
5) Co-operative vs. multiplayer - teams go up against each other AND
the computer in an effort to complete a mission.

Personally, I think the Cthluhu genre isn't really suited to an all out
action blaster, preferring the emphasis to be on a slower paced game,
perhaps with Metal Gear Solid undertones as one person suggest - using
your mind (when you're not going insane...) to solve problems as the
first method, maybe resorting to weapons as a last resort. And of
course, with realistic injuries - no-one is going to battle Cthulhu with
any hope of surviving...

And do you think it is possible to create the horror / fear /
trepidation in a game ? As someone said, the good thing about the Mythos
stories and the RPG is that your imagination does all the hard work, how
would you go about re-creating that on the screen ?

--
Andrew Brazier

Jacob Skaaning

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Daniel Alan Ross <ro...@bigape.com> wrote in message

> Somehow this doesn't seem to add up.
> In bullet point #1, you ask that it be original, then in your remaining
> bullet points you proceed to say how great it would be if it was exactly
> like Quake or one of its clones. Now how is that original? If you want
> that, wait for the Unreal mod Sleepwalker to come out. I'm not saying
> it's bad to want such a thing and I look forward to seeing Sleepwalker
> finished, but it's not an entirely original concept.
>
> Though I agree that walking around in a 20's or 30's setting would be
> fun.

Ooooh yeah, I'm looking so much forward to that, not only because of the
game, but to have the Thickets to voice the characters is just too darn
cool. Way to go!

--
Jacob.
http://come.to/afda

Jacob Skaaning

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Mika-Petri Lauronen <Mika-Petr...@oulu.fi> wrote in message

> Just my humble opinion:
>
> I think that HPL's works shouldn't be translated into a computer game.
Just
> think about the stories: the narrator is usually powerless amongst the
greater
> forces, and if he doesn't end up insane, he's probably dead. Well,
"Dunwich
> Horror" is a deviation.
>
> Killing up mythos monsters is not HPL-style. I don't even use much Mythos
> monsters in my Call of Cthulhu campaign, because that would be - well,
deadly
> and dull. What I prefer are the mad, powerful and respected cultists (like
> mayor or world-famous artist) and minor horrors (like a city of vampires,
trying
> to hide and to survive. Thank you, HPL, for "Shadow over Innsmouth"!). If
you
> make a game based on those, it wouldn't be very successful.

Prisoner Of Ice ended up (in both endings) with Evil finally taking over the
world.
This one coud too. You could always sneak around, Thief-style, fighting off
minions and an occasional lesser Old One for boss, but always having to hide
and run and scream from any Gods or other large creatures. You could use
shadows in a computer game, like in the old low-budget movies. They worked
better than any new ones. In other words, I don't wanna she Shub-Niggurath!
I don't wanna telefrag anything!

Gregory L. Hansen

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
In article <375F8ECF...@adventuresoft.com>,

Andrew Brazier <and...@adventuresoft.com> wrote:
>Thanks everyone for your comments - all very interesting. But now to go
>a bit further - if it was going to be a 1st person through the eyes
>style game, what about the multiplayer element ?
>
>There are a few different ways it could be approached, these being -
>
> 1) Quake style everyone-versus-everyone else deathmath (surely not
>suitable ?)
> 2) Doom style everyone vs. everyone else + monsters
> 3) Co-operative multiplayer - teams or partnerships vs. other teams
> 4) Co-operative multiplayer vs. computer - a team of players go up
>against a level of monsters, puzzles etc.
> 5) Co-operative vs. multiplayer - teams go up against each other AND
>the computer in an effort to complete a mission.

No. Just plain no. Multiplayer games are for shoot-em-ups and
competitions. A Cthulhu game should have puzzles and mysteries, people to
talk to, information to gather. The best multi-player format for that
kind of game is to have a friend watching over your shoulder and talking
to you. You don't need to increase your firepower, you need to increase
your brainpower. And network games just don't foster communication very
well.

>And do you think it is possible to create the horror / fear /
>trepidation in a game ? As someone said, the good thing about the Mythos
>stories and the RPG is that your imagination does all the hard work, how
>would you go about re-creating that on the screen ?

No matter what you do, it will be difficult to create horror in a computer
game. Anything you do to increase the creepiness factor could wind up
looking pretty dorky, or even downright amusing. And I think computer
games are something people inherently don't think are creepy.

--
"You really thought you'd win a bet with a Nobel prize winning Lucasian
professor of mathematics?" -- Dogbert, to Dilbert

Gregory L. Hansen

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
In article <375F6E4F...@oulu.fi>,

Mika-Petri Lauronen <Mika-Petr...@oulu.fi> wrote:
>Just my humble opinion:
>
>I think that HPL's works shouldn't be translated into a computer game. Just
>think about the stories: the narrator is usually powerless amongst the greater
>forces, and if he doesn't end up insane, he's probably dead. Well, "Dunwich
>Horror" is a deviation.
>
>Killing up mythos monsters is not HPL-style. I don't even use much Mythos
>monsters in my Call of Cthulhu campaign, because that would be - well, deadly
>and dull. What I prefer are the mad, powerful and respected cultists (like a
>mayor or world-famous artist) and minor horrors (like a city of vampires, trying
>to hide and to survive. Thank you, HPL, for "Shadow over Innsmouth"!). If you
>make a game based on those, it wouldn't be very successful.
>
>The modern computer horror games should take their inspiration from Alien and
>the works of, say, Clive Barker. Fast, furious and bloody. But that's not
>horror. Adrenaline prevails.

Shoot-em-ups are the wrong genre for a Cthulhu game. Think more of the
graphic adventure games, like Indiana Jones from LucasArts.

But I have always thought a first-person adventure game would be really
cool. Most of the time you're wandering around, solving puzzles, normal
adventure game things, except from a first-person perspective. And maybe
have a few shoot outs sprinkled in. And if you run around with your gun
in the middle of the screen like in the shooting games, you'll scare the
people you're supposed to be talking to.

Andrew Brazier

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99

> No. Just plain no. Multiplayer games are for shoot-em-ups and
> competitions. A Cthulhu game should have puzzles and mysteries, people to
> talk to, information to gather. The best multi-player format for that
> kind of game is to have a friend watching over your shoulder and talking
> to you. You don't need to increase your firepower, you need to increase
> your brainpower. And network games just don't foster communication very
> well.

But don't you think there's possibilities (if not for running about shooting
things) for multiplayer co-operation ? It's certainly something which has not
been done in adventures yet. And what about a microphone link over the web or
LAN - you can talk to your partner, or send ICQ style text messages.
Multiplayer games don't necessarily have to be frag fests...

--
Andrew Brazier

Daniel Alan Ross

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
and...@adventuresoft.com wrote:

> But don't you think there's possibilities (if not for running about
shooting
> things) for multiplayer co-operation ? It's certainly something which
has not
> been done in adventures yet. And what about a microphone link over the
web or
> LAN - you can talk to your partner, or send ICQ style text messages.
> Multiplayer games don't necessarily have to be frag fests...
>
> --
> Andrew Brazier

I think it would certainly be possible. It's up to the players
themselves to have enough control to not want to just kill their
comrades, and up to the game design to make it worth while to work
together. If you've ever played persistant world games like EverQuest,
it's easy to see how you need to depend on other players for
information, inventory, help with a fight, etc. Most of the EverQuest
servers have up to 1200 players on at one time and they're certainly not
there to kill each other.
Seems like it would be possible to have such cooperation in a CoC type
setting.
Dan

Jacob Skaaning

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Gregory L. Hansen <glha...@steel.ucs.indiana.edu> wrote in message

> In article <375F8ECF...@adventuresoft.com>,
> Andrew Brazier <and...@adventuresoft.com> wrote:
> >Thanks everyone for your comments - all very interesting. But now to go
> >a bit further - if it was going to be a 1st person through the eyes
> >style game, what about the multiplayer element ?
> >
> >There are a few different ways it could be approached, these being -
> >
> > 1) Quake style everyone-versus-everyone else deathmath (surely not
> >suitable ?)
> > 2) Doom style everyone vs. everyone else + monsters
> > 3) Co-operative multiplayer - teams or partnerships vs. other teams
> > 4) Co-operative multiplayer vs. computer - a team of players go up
> >against a level of monsters, puzzles etc.
> > 5) Co-operative vs. multiplayer - teams go up against each other AND
> >the computer in an effort to complete a mission.
>
> No. Just plain no. Multiplayer games are for shoot-em-ups and
> competitions. A Cthulhu game should have puzzles and mysteries, people to
> talk to, information to gather. The best multi-player format for that
> kind of game is to have a friend watching over your shoulder and talking
> to you. You don't need to increase your firepower, you need to increase
> your brainpower. And network games just don't foster communication very
> well.
>
> >And do you think it is possible to create the horror / fear /
> >trepidation in a game ? As someone said, the good thing about the Mythos
> >stories and the RPG is that your imagination does all the hard work, how
> >would you go about re-creating that on the screen ?
>
> No matter what you do, it will be difficult to create horror in a computer
> game. Anything you do to increase the creepiness factor could wind up
> looking pretty dorky, or even downright amusing. And I think computer
> games are something people inherently don't think are creepy.

I have to tell you, it can be pretty creppy if you play a game like RE or D
alone, in the dark. And games like Quake and the likes have spooked me up
lots of times. Imagine a first-person adventure, where you're walking the
streets of 1920's London, the thing about first-person is that I love to
explore, to be able to, like it was myself, go up to the items and examine
them. Like in Under a Killing Moon, only more detailed. And with
possibilities for jumping, climbing, sneaking in shadows, whispering, and
screaming. That could be great. A good shadow-using engine would also be
cool. So far the shadow's I've seen have been rubbish (Requiem?)

Jon Osborn

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99

>1st person RPG that moves like a shooter?
>What about Ultima Ascension?

Is it? I've never seen it in action. What would be your personal
rating of it, on a scale of 1 to 10? And, then, for reference, what
would you rate Baldur's Gate and Diablo, if you have played them?

>I would like the game to be like Silent Hill with RPG elements such as
>character creation and non-linear stories. It should be multiplayer too,
>set in a virtual world, or a virtual New England setting with Dunwich,
>Arkham, Innsmouth, and Kingsport. Plus Providence, R.I. It could be
>online too.

That would be quite cool. I wonder how many CDs such a game would
take? It might even require multiple DVDs!

Gregory L. Hansen

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
In article <375FC59B...@adventuresoft.com>,

Andrew Brazier <and...@adventuresoft.com> wrote:

>> No. Just plain no. Multiplayer games are for shoot-em-ups and
>> competitions. A Cthulhu game should have puzzles and mysteries, people to
>> talk to, information to gather. The best multi-player format for that
>> kind of game is to have a friend watching over your shoulder and talking
>> to you. You don't need to increase your firepower, you need to increase
>> your brainpower. And network games just don't foster communication very
>> well.
>
>But don't you think there's possibilities (if not for running about shooting
>things) for multiplayer co-operation ? It's certainly something which has not
>been done in adventures yet. And what about a microphone link over the web or
>LAN - you can talk to your partner, or send ICQ style text messages.
>Multiplayer games don't necessarily have to be frag fests...

I don't see any possibilities, but I'm willing to consider any ideas you
might have. But especially since adventure games tend to be a
progression. The first time you walk in on a scene or talk to a character
can be different from the second time. Unless all players stick together
(and they won't), some will get the full effect and the rest won't. I
think one player will tend to forge ahead while the rest wander around
in what's left.

I think microphones and text messages are a poor substitute for pointing
at the screen and saying "Try putting it there."

Lt Ricardo

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
>I have to tell you, it can be pretty creppy if you play a game like RE or D
>alone, in the dark. And games like Quake and the likes have spooked me up
>lots of times.

I love playing games in the dark. Even something as old and technologically
passé as Doom can be frightening!

LtRi...@aol.com

Boyd .

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Silent Hill has a 1st person view option, alot like Quake. You have to
go to the hidden option screen to select it.

Boyd .

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Only multiplayer coop against the forces of the Mythos, no silly
deathmatches.

I like the MGS idea, where you use your brain and avoid fighting the
things. There should be horrible things in the game that you have no
hope of stopping, but rather try running away from, hiding, etc. That
would make it very scary.

Boyd .

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Ultima Ascension is a first person RPG, I havn't played it, but from
what I've seen I would say its at least as good as Balder's Gate and
better than Diablo. How do I rate Balder's Gate? 9! Its not a perfect
10, but I give it a 9+. As for Diablo, I would rate it as a 8.5.

I really like the idea of an online Call of cthulhu RPG that takes place
in a Virtual New England setting. Have it set in the 1930's.

Marko Peric

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99
Gregory L. Hansen wrote:

> No matter what you do, it will be difficult to create horror
> in a computer game.

Life wasn't meant to be easy.

> Anything you do to increase the creepiness factor could wind up
> looking pretty dorky, or even downright amusing. And I think computer
> games are something people inherently don't think are creepy.

No, this is just a failure of your imagination. A few bound leaves of
papyrus is also not inherently creepy. All it takes is talent.

Message has been deleted

Jon Osborn

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99

>Ultima Ascension is a first person RPG, I havn't played it, but from
>what I've seen I would say its at least as good as Balder's Gate and
>better than Diablo. How do I rate Balder's Gate? 9! Its not a perfect
>10, but I give it a 9+. As for Diablo, I would rate it as a 8.5.

Thanks for the advice.

>I really like the idea of an online Call of cthulhu RPG that takes place
>in a Virtual New England setting. Have it set in the 1930's.

I just don't like the thought of paying a monthly fee (a la Ultima
Online) to play a game. As long as it were LAN-able, that would be
great.

Robert A Cappelletto

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99

Giant Emperor Penguins.

Edward P. Berglund

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99
Marko Peric wrote:

> Andrew Brazier wrote:
>
> > What I want to know is, if a new game were to be made completely based
> > on the Cthulhu Mythos, what sort of game would you like to see ?
>
> When "Wheel of Time" comes out (Legend Entertainment) you'll get the
> idea. A first-person perspective, RPG, based on a beautiful looking
> 3D-engine (Unreal, or Quake3). All the combat abilities of Quake/Unreal,
> too. Rich and interactive music and sound.
>
> If you can't wait forever for a full game, then maybe you can wait a
> few months for the Sleepwalker project: http://www.arkhamlab.com It's an
> Unreal Total Conversion based on Lovecraft's stories.

What ever happened to the project called "Cthulhu Quake TC"

Edward P. Berglund
http://www.toddalan.com/~berglund/

Edward P. Berglund

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99
"Gregory L. Hansen" wrote:

> In article <375F8ECF...@adventuresoft.com>,

> Andrew Brazier <and...@adventuresoft.com> wrote:
> >Thanks everyone for your comments - all very interesting. But now to go
> >a bit further - if it was going to be a 1st person through the eyes
> >style game, what about the multiplayer element ?
> >
> >There are a few different ways it could be approached, these being -
> >
> > 1) Quake style everyone-versus-everyone else deathmath (surely not
> >suitable ?)
> > 2) Doom style everyone vs. everyone else + monsters
> > 3) Co-operative multiplayer - teams or partnerships vs. other teams
> > 4) Co-operative multiplayer vs. computer - a team of players go up
> >against a level of monsters, puzzles etc.
> > 5) Co-operative vs. multiplayer - teams go up against each other AND
> >the computer in an effort to complete a mission.
>

> No. Just plain no. Multiplayer games are for shoot-em-ups and
> competitions. A Cthulhu game should have puzzles and mysteries, people to
> talk to, information to gather. The best multi-player format for that
> kind of game is to have a friend watching over your shoulder and talking
> to you. You don't need to increase your firepower, you need to increase
> your brainpower. And network games just don't foster communication very
> well.
>

> >And do you think it is possible to create the horror / fear /
> >trepidation in a game ? As someone said, the good thing about the Mythos
> >stories and the RPG is that your imagination does all the hard work, how
> >would you go about re-creating that on the screen ?
>

> No matter what you do, it will be difficult to create horror in a computer

> game. Anything you do to increase the creepiness factor could wind up

> looking pretty dorky, or even downright amusing. And I think computer
> games are something people inherently don't think are creepy.

Creepiness can be brought out through sight and hearing. There are several
incidences in Quake where the music emphasizes the jolt when you come upon
something you weren't expecting.

Karen Crocker

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99
But don't forget the historic background as well. If your going to set up a
1920's Mythos adventure, make sure to include hints of the factual reality
of the times. Now, by no means do I think that the game revolve around
historical accuracy. Just the occasional detail or two will make us
sticklers at ease in the mock 1920's creation. "Prisoner of Ice" is a good
example of factual historical-like story telling, as well as the Indiana
Jones series, et al. Even "Alone in the Dark" I &II, shown tommy-guns and
such often with deadly consequences. In other words, just throw in the
occasional historical tie-in piece of evidence (a newspaper stating "Lucky
Lindie Lands in Paris") will do fine to add background in a pinch. Just
accept the game as a "period piece" and go from there in making it. Now
again I stress that without a good story and playability in the Mythos
environment, along with that elusive horror aspect, the game will not be
wonderful and no-one will play it for long if ever.

"Work on the meat and potatoes first, but don't forget dessert!" :)

GigiloAunt

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99
>But don't you think there's possibilities (if not for running about shooting
things) for multiplayer co-operation ?<
>Andrew Brazier

How about this. A dedicated server (most likey more than one) which is always
running (possibly sponsored by some company or another, or covered in the
game's retail price) in which resides an entire world. The users create their
own characters and then log onto the server and play the game. At certain
intervals the game drops in opportunities to start 'playing' which would
basically be a chance to get into a campaign of sorts. You find a book, you
see something strange and investigate it, and it leads to a confrontation, on
some level or another, with the Old Ones.

That would be great, where the game is really just an interaface through which
you can enter a fully realized version of the Mythos' world. You have one
life, and can die or go mad. Death means you need to create a new character,
madness maybe mires your current character in the game so you'd have to wait a
bit before entering again. How's that sound?

Marko Peric

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99
Edward P. Berglund wrote:

> Marko Peric wrote:
>
> > If you can't wait forever for a full game, then maybe you can wait a
> > few months for the Sleepwalker project: http://www.arkhamlab.com It's an
> > Unreal Total Conversion based on Lovecraft's stories.
>
> What ever happened to the project called "Cthulhu Quake TC"

I have not heard of such a project, but I hazard to guess that like so
many Quake/Unreal TC projects, it fell by the wayside. The Arkham Lab
team, though, sound professional and focused enough to see it through.
At least I hope so!

Skrybe

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
How about "Innsmouth Online" - sorta like Ultima Online, only with Deep
Ones. I'd love to see a huge scale online RPG where all the characters are
played by humans. Plenty of cultists, deep ones, investigators, etc for
people to play.

--
Skrybe aka nospam.Ke...@publicworks.qld.gov.au
You know what to do with the spam...

Skrybe's Tales of Terror
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~skrybe/
Last update 22/3/1999
Check out the Aussie Horror Trading Post

Andrew Brazier wrote in message <375FC59B...@adventuresoft.com>...

>> No. Just plain no. Multiplayer games are for shoot-em-ups and
>> competitions. A Cthulhu game should have puzzles and mysteries, people
>> talk to, information to gather. The best multi-player format for that
>> kind of game is to have a friend watching over your shoulder and talking
>> to you. You don't need to increase your firepower, you need to increase
>> your brainpower. And network games just don't foster communication very
>> well.
>

>But don't you think there's possibilities (if not for running about
shooting

>things) for multiplayer co-operation ? It's certainly something which has
not
>been done in adventures yet. And what about a microphone link over the web
or
>LAN - you can talk to your partner, or send ICQ style text messages.
>Multiplayer games don't necessarily have to be frag fests...
>

>--
>Andrew Brazier

Derek Smyk

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
I always used to think something in the Dreamlands would work best -
Lovecraftian, but without as much sanity-blasting horror that can't
truly be depicted visually. There was talk once on the irc line about
starting up a Dreamlands mud/mush, but then I left the country and
don't think anything came of it.

Derek

Ripper

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99

Andrew Brazier <and...@adventuresoft.com> wrote:
>Thanks everyone for your comments - all very interesting. But now to go
>a bit further - if it was going to be a 1st person through the eyes
>style game, what about the multiplayer element ?
>
>There are a few different ways it could be approached, these being -
>
> 1) Quake style everyone-versus-everyone else deathmath (surely not
>suitable ?)

probably not suitable; the "co-op" versions (3/4) would probably work better;
assuming that 1 or other team was "the bad guys" - the mad cultists driven
to raise whichever GOO they choose to believe in... unless, of course, you do
"each player is 1 cultist, and they possess 1 of the items that is needed to
raise the beastie... the only way you'll get it, is by killing them" which
would work in an Everyone-vs-everyone game. Of course, just running in and
shooting them would be bad. I'd prefer to sent traps or things for them; poison
food, kinda like the old "spy-vs-spy" games.

>Personally, I think the Cthluhu genre isn't really suited to an all out
>action blaster, preferring the emphasis to be on a slower paced game,
>perhaps with Metal Gear Solid undertones as one person suggest - using
>your mind (when you're not going insane...) to solve problems as the
>first method, maybe resorting to weapons as a last resort. And of
>course, with realistic injuries - no-one is going to battle Cthulhu with
>any hope of surviving...

Exactly; especially when you're trying to be "true" to the Mythos... of course,
the idea popped into my head that a "bomberman" style multiplayer game would
be ... well... silly, but fun... multiplayers running around, collecting items,
when the right ones are collected; "something" will be summoned (depending on
what was collected) which will chase after the other players; if it catches up
with a player; then that player will go slightly mad and run away (and the
beastie will disappear) The last player to go totally crazy, wins. (or looses,
depending how you look at it) ...

>And do you think it is possible to create the horror / fear /
>trepidation in a game ? As someone said, the good thing about the Mythos
>stories and the RPG is that your imagination does all the hard work, how
>would you go about re-creating that on the screen ?

anything can be done, with work.

The best horror, is that which is not seen, but hinted at.

RG

--
"We will meet again in the place where no shadows fall"
http://listen.to/Radio0

Hate Machine

Jul 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/3/99
>>Personally, I think the Cthluhu genre isn't really suited to an all out
>>action blaster, preferring the emphasis to be on a slower paced game,
>>perhaps with Metal Gear Solid undertones as one person suggest - using
>>your mind (when you're not going insane...) to solve problems as the
>>first method, maybe resorting to weapons as a last resort. And of
>>course, with realistic injuries - no-one is going to battle Cthulhu with
>>any hope of surviving...

It was me who suggested this, and the idea was that it would be a game ery
similar in mechanics and style to Metal Gear Solid, but based onThe Shadow
Over Innsmouth - A lot of that story consisted of evading the Deep Ones and
their hybrid descendants, which would make for a perfectly tense, spooked
out look-over-you-shoulder type experience. Firing weapons wouldn't be
necessary, but of course due ot market restrictions and such you'd maybe
have to have a bit of 6 - shooter action in there. Let's face it, the Mythos
isn't the most lucrative license under the sun, is it? The sales necessary
to justify the cost of development would require at least *some* mass market
appeal, i.e. a bit of shooting.

Now that Micro$oft has a publishing deal with Konami (the developer that
made Metal Gear), there are strong possibilities of MGS being released on
the PC, making an Innsmouth Total Conversion a possibility, provided it was
designed with an open ended interface like Quake. Something to hope for, I
suppose.

>>"We will meet again in the place where no shadows fall"

Where is this quote from? I'm sure I've heard it before and I can't place it
right now... It's bugging me something chronic!

Matt
ma...@hate-machine.freeserve.co.uk
"You think you have all the fun? You know me - I hate everyone!" |\| | |/|
"Comfort, it's taste - convenient to follow
Bite size lies are much easier to swallow" - Product Placement

StoOdin101

Jul 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/3/99
>"We will meet again in the place where no shadows fall"
>
>Where is this quote from?

Orwell's NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR.

" The one test of the really weird is just this -- whether or not there be
excited in the reader a profound sense of dread, and of contact with unknown
spheres and powers...." --- H.P. Lovecraft

synecdoche

Jul 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/4/99
On 03 Jul 1999 22:46:05 GMT, stood...@aol.com (StoOdin101) wrote:

>>"We will meet again in the place where no shadows fall"
>>
>>Where is this quote from?
>
>Orwell's NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR.

Isn't the line "We will meet again in the place where there is no
darkness"? O'Brien to Winston, right?

-Dave

-Dave
"True!--nervous--very, very dreadfully nervous I had
been and am; but why will you say that I am mad? The
disease had sharpened my senses--not destroyed--not
dulled them." -- Edger Allen Poe, The Tell-Tale Heart

Please remove my spam block to reply thru e-mail.
ICQ: 20956637 E-Mail: synec...@nospam.com
(sub in angelfire for nospam for my real addie!)

StoOdin101

Jul 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/4/99
>Isn't the line "We will meet again in the place where there is no
>darkness"? O'Brien to Winston, right?

Sure is. I didnt go look it up, so maybe the other line ISN'T from 1984.

armi...@berk.com

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
In article <7llvgq$fq3$1...@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>,

"Hate Machine" <ma...@hate-machine.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> >>"We will meet again in the place where no shadows fall"
>
> Where is this quote from? I'm sure I've heard it before and I can't
place it
> right now... It's bugging me something chronic!

It sounds familiar. I think it was Babylon 5. Or maybe one of the new
Crusade episodes.

armi...@berk.com
"No Nyarlathotep, No Chaos. Know Nyarlathotep, Know Chaos."

Gazmania

Jul 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/12/99

Hate Machine <ma...@hate-machine.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> >>"We will meet again in the place where no shadows fall"
>
> Where is this quote from? I'm sure I've heard it before and I can't place
it
> right now... It's bugging me something chronic!

It is a quote from "Babylon 5", just before the shadow war, where i
think it was who Delenn turns to
Capt. Sheriden and says ` we will meet again in the place where no
shadows fall`

Regards

Gaz.

## fear the great devourer, for he knows your name! ###

pegasu...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2015, 10:20:28 PM10/30/15
This: Lovecraftian MMORPG with Live Storytellers:

https://www.revivalgame.com/

This. Will. Be. Awesome. Can't wait!