HPL & The Inevitable Conflict by Paul H. Lovering

Christopher K. Philippo

Dec 18, 2001, 6:01:22 PM12/18/01
The following book attributes The Inevitable Conflict to HPL:

"L'orrore che viene dall'est" ("The Horror That Comes From The East")
http://www.profondorossoshop.com/enter/italiano/libri/index.html

The story can be read here:

The Inevitable Conflict by Paul H. Lovering
http://www.ech-pi-el.com/lovecraft/works/conflict.htm

William E. Johns presents his analysis of the story, and comes to the
conclusion, convincingly, that Paul H. Lovering is NOT a pseudonym of
H.P. Lovecraft, and that HPL did NOT write The Inevitable Conflict.
http://www.ech-pi-el.com/lovecraft/works/analysis/index.htm

I sought for "Paul H. Lovering" on the internet, I found this:

Amazing Stories Quarterly, Fall 1929
Volume 2, No 4 (Whole Number 8)
http://www.sfsite.com/isfdb-bin/plist.cgi?AMAZQTRFALL1929
It contains the Novelette "When the Earth Grew Cold" by Paul H.
Lovering.

"When the Earth Grew Cold" is the other piece of work mentioned as
prior work of the author in Part II of TIC. If PHL is indeed a
pseudonym of HPL, then WTEGC ought also to be an HPL work. If it
could be analyzed as ywas done with TIC, perhaps it could further
debunk (or prove?) the idea that HPL=PHL. It would be interesting
also to see if there is any biographical information in WTEGC about
PHL and/or his other works.

One wonders, also, if a correction or letter might not have run in a
later issue of Amazing Stories indicating that PHL had not authored
The Color out of Space. Or if the Italians tried looking for such
things or not before deciding that PHL=HPL.

Toff