sound proofing my home from the 17 year cicada

German Jerry

Jun 4, 2007, 10:08:17 PM6/4/07
These 17 year cicada noises are driving me nuts! Maybe I have senitive
ears. I am trying to soundproof my home as best I can and here are a
few steps I have taken. I am open to more options:
1) I keep all the windows shut obviosly and run the AC.
2) I noticed much of the noise was coming from my fireplace since I
have a gas log and the damper had to be clipped open (via building
code). So I stufed the chimney with a chimney balloon and that all but
stopped it. My glass doors did not fdo the trick on keeping the noise
out and I even had a few of the little creepers come down the chimney
before I put the chimney balloon plug in.
3) I draw the curtains. Maybe this is psycological but it seems to
help a little
4) The little creepers were in my basement window wells as well so i
got covers for those.
5) I have been wearing my Bose headphones around with the noise
cancelling turned on but no music playing but they are uncomfortable
after about 6 hours.

Any other low cost options? Besides earplugs

Dan Espen

Jun 4, 2007, 10:54:29 PM6/4/07
German Jerry <ja...@jasonshelly.com> writes:

> These 17 year cicada noises are driving me nuts!

How many things happen in 17 year cycles.
Get outside and enjoy them.

Message has been deleted

Joseph Meehan

Jun 5, 2007, 7:33:06 AM6/5/07

I got just the stuff. I am out of stock right now, but I have a new
shipment coming in about 6 months, it is warranted for 15 years. Just send
money. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

RicodJour

Jun 5, 2007, 12:11:17 PM6/5/07

Well, unless you're willing to live your life in a concrete box,
perhaps it's time to learn to tune things out. You may also want to
have your hearing checked. It's possible that you're experiencing
tinnitus.

in2-d...@webtv.net

Jun 5, 2007, 12:28:29 PM6/5/07
Not sure what 17 year cicada is but I think it's catipillars? Noise is
one of my pet peeves so you have a sypathetic 'ear' with me (pun
intended)..

As people age it's not unusual for them to get more sensitve to alot of
things (light, heat, cold, bitchy wives etc.).. I find that not only
closing the windows against a particular sound but using the locks to
snug them helps immenslty.

I've seen the video on tv of the catipillars munching away in the nearby
fields of people's homes and I can see how this can easily become
unnerving. I'm sensitive to all the things I listed above and then
some. But I find being sensitive also has it's good points.

A beautiful landscape (woman, sunset, smell, taste) for example is much
more appreciated now. So enjoy the good along with the bad..
Charles

in2-d...@webtv.net

Jun 5, 2007, 12:31:18 PM6/5/07
I forgot to mention,curtains do help deaden sound (even if they seem to
flimsy to possibly do so).. I think it's a vibration thing..

Dan Espen

Jun 5, 2007, 1:30:32 PM6/5/07
in2-d...@webtv.net writes:

> Not sure what 17 year cicada is but I think it's catipillars? Noise is
> one of my pet peeves so you have a sypathetic 'ear' with me (pun
> intended)..

Nice article on Wikipedia.

A few days after they emerge they all start screeching.
It's as loud as a siren and can go on for a few days.

Where I am we have 13 year periodic cicadas.
Even if you live to be very old you will only experience
this a few times.

An amazing spectacle and should not be missed by hiding indoors.

sonofab...@hotmail.com

Jun 5, 2007, 2:15:08 PM6/5/07

Shure E2C earphones. Love them.

Bob M.

Jun 5, 2007, 10:57:37 PM6/5/07

"Dan Espen" <dan...@MORE.mk.SPAMtelcordia.com> wrote in message

My thoughts exactly. Would the OP rather live next to an Interstate???

Tim Smith

Jun 6, 2007, 12:39:13 AM6/6/07
In article <1181009297.8...@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

German Jerry <ja...@jasonshelly.com> wrote:
> Any other low cost options? Besides earplugs

Go to one of those membership stores that sells the big bulk items, and
get a REALLY BIG can of Raid.

--
--Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Jun 6, 2007, 12:58:40 AM6/6/07
> 1) I keep all the windows shut obviosly and run the AC.

Try white noise or pink noise. The AC might approximate that, but you
can do better. You can look up "white noise" on Wikipedia and get a
link to a 10-second sample, or Google. Same for pink noise.

Use audio editing software to turn it into something longer, say 20
minutes of white noise. Burn that onto an audio CD, and play it on your
stereo or get a boom box so you can take it room to room. Set it to
repeat the track.

I found a white noise sample that also had the drone of a fan in it,
which I found better for masking some noises. I don't recall where I
found it, though. I've seen another that had the sound of raindrops
mixed in.

If you have any music production software, you can try mixing in other
things. I played around in Garageband on my Mac adding in some
percussion or rhythm tracks to the white noise, but ultimately decided
that I liked simple white noise the best.

If you come up with several you like, just burn them all as separate
tracks on your CD, and then you can pick whichever is best for a given
situation.

Anyway, you've got the right idea here--make some other noise so you
don't hear the offending noise. But there may be a simpler solution
than white noise.

Have you simply tried playing loud music? Pick something that doesn't
have any quiet parts. This might seem counterintuitive...making loud
noise because you are bothered by noise, but the difference is this is
noise you've picked. I find that it is somehow much more tolerable that
way. I can take pretty much any CD I own, and crank it up, and have no
trouble sleeping through it, or programming, or reading. But music
coming from outside, even if I can barely here it, will be very annoying.

That was the main thing that got me to finally move out of my apartment
and get a house--I could hear enough music from downstairs to annoy me,
but could not turn mine up enough to cover it, because then I'd be
bothering the upstairs and sideways neighbors. Now I have no neighbors
close enough to hear normally, and if one of them were to manage to make
enough noise for me to hear, I could turn my TV or stereo up enough to
easily cover it, with no fear of bothering anyone.

--
--Tim Smith

in2-d...@webtv.net

Jun 6, 2007, 1:44:36 PM6/6/07

Interesting Tim... I've found if it's a noise I can 'control' (such as
when you said you can play your own music loud and fall asleep to it) I
have no problem with it.. And this is true with alot of things.

I have my own business and I'll run across (on occasion) the same kinds
of frustrating clients I used to get when working for others... It
doesn't bother me nearly as much because I know I can always cut them
loose.

Re: sound proofing my home from the 17 year cicada

Group: alt.home.repair Date: Tue, Jun 5, 2007, 9:58pm (EDT-3) From:
reply_i...@mouse-potato.com (Tim Smith)

in2-d...@webtv.net

Jun 6, 2007, 1:52:57 PM6/6/07
I can see one wanting to (maybe) experience them, actually they are
quite gross.... But to have to live next to it even overnight is
disgusting. Thank God it's only every 17 years..

I like the RAID idea...
Charles

Re: sound proofing my home from the 17 year cicada

Group: alt.home.repair Date: Tue, Jun 5, 2007, 8:57pm (EDT-2) From:
n...@nospam.com (Bob M.)

sonofab...@hotmail.com

Jun 6, 2007, 2:06:06 PM6/6/07

Money might be better spent on therapy and finding out ways to calm
that section of your type A personality.

Nexus7

Jun 6, 2007, 2:41:07 PM6/6/07
On Jun 4, 9:08 pm, German Jerry <j...@jasonshelly.com> wrote:
> out and I even had a few of the little creepers come down the chimney

> 4) The little creepers were in my basement window wells as well so i

They aren't creepers.