How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

Brent

Feb 13, 2010, 12:36:57 AM2/13/10
How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

I have the HP 3200m B&W laser printer/copier which is not a flatbed but a
"regular" printer/copier that accepts paper sheets fed into it.

Do I need special software to copy to a PDF on the computer?

I lost the original HP driver disk long ago but can download the drivers if
that's what I need to copy-to-pdf.

Or is there "special" WinXP PC software that allows a printer copy to be
converted to a PDF?

LM

Feb 13, 2010, 1:12:19 AM2/13/10
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 05:36:57 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

> How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

I don't think HP printers can scan directly to PDF.

This is the description of your printer.
http://www.onlinefreeebooks.net/gadget-ebooks/hewlett-packard/hp-laserjet-3200-3200m-printer-fax-copier-scanner-service-manual-pdf.html

And this is the product manual for your printer.
http://dmg.ap.buffalo.edu/faculty/phones/3200manual.pdf

Nowhere does it say that HP printer can scan to a PDF!

Brent

Feb 13, 2010, 1:27:54 AM2/13/10
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 22:12:19 -0800, LM wrote:

> And this is the product manual for your printer.
> http://dmg.ap.buffalo.edu/faculty/phones/3200manual.pdf
> Nowhere does it say that HP printer can scan to a PDF!

Maybe there is WinXP freeware to scan to PDF for an HP3200m B&W printer?

Melissa Andrade

Feb 13, 2010, 1:36:33 AM2/13/10
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 06:27:54 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:
> Maybe there is WinXP freeware to scan to PDF for an HP3200m B&W printer?

Maybe ScanToPdf will work for you.
http://www.scantopdf.co.uk/
http://download.cnet.com/Softi-Scan-to-PDF/3000-2064_4-10795678.html

Another way might be A-PDF.
http://www.a-pdf.com/faq/hp-scan-pdf-scanner-software-download.htm

Or the HP director.
http://www.computeroffice.law.cam.ac.uk/using_law_pwf/how_do_i_scan_to_pdf.php

Not all are free though but freeware probably won't work for anything
useful anyway.

Brent

Feb 13, 2010, 1:51:31 AM2/13/10
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 22:36:33 -0800, Melissa Andrade wrote:

> freeware probably won't work for anything useful anyway.

I guess you get what you pay for but I did locate these listed as 'free
downloads' that I can try.

1] Scan2Pdf http://www.snapfiles.com/get/scan2pdf.html
2] iCopy/CutePDF http://www.digitalpurview.com/free-scan-to-pdf-solution/
3] STP http://www.freewarefiles.com/Scan-To-PDF_program_53296.html

I think OCR might be a problem though with these images scanners.

It might be nice to see what others use to scan to PDF from an old HP 3200m
black and white laser printer.

Craig

Feb 13, 2010, 2:28:27 AM2/13/10
On 02/12/2010 10:36 PM, Melissa Andrade wrote:
> Not all are free though but freeware probably won't work for anything
> useful anyway.

Wow. That was a funny thing to say, considering where you cross-posted.

Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save anything
as a pdf. There are a lot of good, free ones around but I'm most
familiar with pdf creator at <http://www.pdfforge.org/>. It's free and
open source so you can use it legally for private and commercial purposes.

After installation, pdf creator will look like any other printer on your
system. Just open the file that you saved and select "print." The
print dialog pops up and you'll see "pdf creator" as one printer option.
Choose that and away you go.

One caveat. During install, PDF Creator give you the option of opting
out from installing a "browser toolbar." I recommend you do that.
Unclick it and the toolbar will not install.

hth,
--
-Craig

Brent

Feb 13, 2010, 3:25:22 AM2/13/10
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:28:27 -0800, Craig wrote:

> Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save anything
> as a pdf.

I'm not trying to print to PDF.

I'm trying to scan to PDF from an HP 3200m laserjet printer.

I tried all the scan2pdf programs listed but none worked because none could
find the printer as a scanner.

Each time they asked to select the scanner device, they all hung and did
not see the printer.

Funny though. The printer works fine as a printer so it's connected to the
WinXP PC by the serial port.

I wonder if there is some trick to get the Windows XP PC to recognize the
HP 3200m printer as a scanner?

Zaphod

Feb 13, 2010, 3:53:24 AM2/13/10
On Feb 13, 7:25 pm, Brent <beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied-

The print to PDF is a way to print a file to a PDF file .. it's
strange terminology but it gets past some legal issues I believe.

If you have Open Office it lets you save to PDF, place the image into
a page and click the button "Save Copy To PDF"
I do this often for my resume and it works well.

Ron

Feb 13, 2010, 4:14:48 AM2/13/10
It may sound obvious, but have you tried re-installing the scan drivers
from HP? They *are* different from the printer drivers, yes?

hth

Ron Moore

JKevorkian

Feb 13, 2010, 6:07:15 AM2/13/10
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 05:36:57 +0000 (UTC), Brent
<beemd...@Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote:

You need a program that will create a .pdf file from the scanned image. Adobe
Acrobat is the most widely known, but it'll cost ya. You can get a freeware
program called PDF Creator from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/files/PDFCreator/PDFCreator%200.9.9/PDFCreator-0_9_9_setup.exe/download

You scan your document and select "Print to PDF" (or something to that effect),
and name the created file and save it.

Jim Elbrecht

Feb 13, 2010, 7:49:25 AM2/13/10
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:28:27 -0800, Craig <netbu...@REMOVEgmail.com>
wrote:

>On 02/12/2010 10:36 PM, Melissa Andrade wrote:
>> Not all are free though but freeware probably won't work for anything
>> useful anyway.
>>

>Wow. That was a funny thing to say, considering where you cross-posted.

Really! I'm reading on alt.home.repair [and wondering how the OP
thought it was on topic] and almost replied that I've had better luck
with freeware than a whole bunch of paid programs over the years.

When I saw that it was crossposted I killed my reply without looking
to see where it was cross-posted to.

>Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save anything
>as a pdf. There are a lot of good, free ones around but I'm most
>familiar with pdf creator at <http://www.pdfforge.org/>. It's free and
>open source so you can use it legally for private and commercial purposes.

Add 'open source' to the software & I challenge anyone to come up with
a scenario where there is a better commercial option.

Jim

David H. Lipman

Feb 13, 2010, 7:51:19 AM2/13/10
From: "Brent" <beemd...@Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid>

You are mising the boat !

IFF the HP all-in-one is able to scan then you *MUST* have TWAIN Drivers for said device.

ANY TWAIN compliant program will then be able to use the HP All-in-One and be able to use
ANY of the PDF software suggested.

My suggestion:
Use XnView as a free graphics program that has a scanner interface and is TWAIN capable.

Use PDFCreator on SourceForge to to take any scanned objects in XnView and create a PDF.

--
Dave

David H. Lipman

Feb 13, 2010, 7:59:11 AM2/13/10
From: "Jim Elbrecht" <elbr...@email.com>

| Jim

Adobe Acrobat Professional.
There.... A "better commercial option." :-)

For this scenario a TWAIN capable program that will scan and create a PDF.

Colbyt

Feb 13, 2010, 8:26:54 AM2/13/10

"Brent" <beemd...@Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote in message

My inexpensive USB Cannon scanner came with PDF software that I have even
used so your HP might well have also.

You label yours as a printer copier. Does it offer the option to save the
scan somewhere on your computer?

Colbyt

vern

Feb 13, 2010, 8:52:21 AM2/13/10
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 22:36:33 -0800, Melissa Andrade wrote:

> Not all are free though but freeware probably won't work for anything
> useful anyway.
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ne...@netfront.net ---

Complaint sent to above. Abuse of newsgroup. I hope they yank your
Internet access, *you spamming asshole!!!*
--
R.I.P to Dead Tull Morons
http://tr.im/1f74

Cawshus

Feb 13, 2010, 8:53:18 AM2/13/10
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 08:25:22 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:28:27 -0800, Craig wrote:
>
>> Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save anything
>> as a pdf.
>
> I'm not trying to print to PDF.
>
> I'm trying to scan to PDF from an HP 3200m laserjet printer.

Then fuck off.
--
� Steve

Due to the volume of garbage I filter out googlegroups.

The Daring Dufas

Feb 13, 2010, 9:01:31 AM2/13/10

I know what your printer looks like but have never fooled around with
one of them. I have a Lexmark printer/scanner and the software for it
allows me to save anything scanned as a PDF. The software for your HP
printer may have a similar function built in to the HP software. With
my printer, I scan a document then click "save as" from the file dialog
box and choose PDF. I have to upload a lot of work orders and invoices
via The 'net and most folks want a PDF document. You may have already
looked at the driver software for your printer but I would guess that
the full software suite from HP will give you more functionality. The
HP page I found is here:

http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

TDD

Craig

Feb 13, 2010, 11:37:52 AM2/13/10
On 02/13/2010 12:53 AM, Zaphod wrote:
> On Feb 13, 7:25 pm, Brent<beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied-
> Address.invalid> wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:28:27 -0800, Craig wrote:
>>> Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save anything
>>> as a pdf.
>>
>> I'm not trying to print to PDF.
>>
>> I'm trying to scan to PDF from an HP 3200m laserjet printer.
>>
>> I tried all the scan2pdf programs listed but none worked because none could
>> find the printer as a scanner.
>>
>> Each time they asked to select the scanner device, they all hung and did
>> not see the printer.
>>
>> Funny though. The printer works fine as a printer so it's connected to the
>> WinXP PC by the serial port.
>>
>> I wonder if there is some trick to get the Windows XP PC to recognize the
>> HP 3200m printer as a scanner?
>
> The print to PDF is a way to print a file to a PDF file .. it's
> strange terminology...

Thx Zaphod... Much better than the way I put it.

--
-Craig

Brent

Feb 13, 2010, 11:41:20 AM2/13/10
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 07:59:11 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

> For this scenario a TWAIN capable program that will scan and create a PDF.

David,
I don't understand the TWAIN part. I tried all the suggested programs but
none could find the printer.

Which side do I need the TWAIN software?

On the PC side where I run the application to talk to the printer?

Brent

Feb 13, 2010, 11:44:39 AM2/13/10
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 08:26:54 -0500, Colbyt wrote:

> You label yours as a printer copier. Does it offer the option to save the
> scan somewhere on your computer?

It has a "scan" button (along with "print", "copy", and "fax" buttons).

The print button works.
The copy button works.
The fax button works.
But I never used the scan button and that one button does not work. It just
says "waiting for PC" in the display when I hit the scan button.

On the PC side, whenever I use the suggested programs, they ask for the
"source" but the source box is empty.

What am I missing?

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Bob F

Feb 13, 2010, 12:27:51 PM2/13/10
Cawshus wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 08:25:22 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:28:27 -0800, Craig wrote:
>>
>>> Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save
>>> anything as a pdf.
>>
>> I'm not trying to print to PDF.
>>
>> I'm trying to scan to PDF from an HP 3200m laserjet printer.
>
> Then fuck off.

Plonk!

Peter

Feb 13, 2010, 12:29:00 PM2/13/10
On 2/13/2010 11:44 AM, Brent wrote:
Brent, what you are missing is the concept that there is no real difference
between scanning an image and saving the scan as a .pdf file and scanning the
image, saving it as a .jpg or .png, or .tif file, and then "printing" that file
(converting it) to a .pdf file. The .jpg (etc.) file merely functions as an
intermediate step in the process for you. I've been using sourceforge's open
source PDF Creator for years and it works like a charm.

Bob F

Feb 13, 2010, 12:29:26 PM2/13/10

You need to install the HP drivers.

Bob F

Feb 13, 2010, 12:31:11 PM2/13/10

The HP drivers/software.

Brent

Feb 13, 2010, 1:31:40 PM2/13/10
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 09:31:11 -0800, Bob F wrote:

>> What am I missing?
>
> The HP drivers/software.

OK. I didn't realize (mea culpa) that the HP drivers were the missing link.

I figured whatever driver was running the fax/printer/copier was good
enough for the scanner part of the printer.

I guess not :(

I'll see if I can somehow dig up the drivers (where is that long lost cd)?

krw

Feb 13, 2010, 1:33:05 PM2/13/10

HP drivers suck, but at least they have all of them online.

Brent

Feb 13, 2010, 2:07:13 PM2/13/10
On 13 Feb 2010 16:46:44 GMT, RobertPatrick wrote:

> Open up Adobe Acrobat.
> File - then you'll see Scanner and just follow what it says.

I have Acrobat Pro but not on the computer that has the HP 3200m printer
connected to the serial port.

The computer that is connected to the printer has Foxit Reader (freeware)
only.

And Foxit won't recognize the scanner. I'm still looking for the HP
software. I was hoping to find it on the web but the links at the HP site
require some kind of activex which firefox doesn't do it seems.

Phisherman

Feb 13, 2010, 3:05:40 PM2/13/10
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 05:36:57 +0000 (UTC), Brent
<beemd...@Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote:

>How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?
>
>I have the HP 3200m B&W laser printer/copier which is not a flatbed but a
>"regular" printer/copier that accepts paper sheets fed into it.
>
>Do I need special software to copy to a PDF on the computer?
>
>I lost the original HP driver disk long ago but can download the drivers if
>that's what I need to copy-to-pdf.
>
>Or is there "special" WinXP PC software that allows a printer copy to be
>converted to a PDF?

Adobe Distiller might do what you want. I tossed out my printer over
10 years ago and now print to PDF files instead. I emptied a file
cabinet and scanned the papers I might need, and now the file cabinet
is gone too.

HeyBub

Feb 13, 2010, 3:34:36 PM2/13/10

Well, there's your problem. The 3200 doesn't connect via serial port.

I'm at a loss to understand how you managed it.

Unless you cut off the grounding plug or something.

Van Chocstraw

Feb 13, 2010, 3:58:30 PM2/13/10
Brent wrote:
> How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?
>
> I have the HP 3200m B&W laser printer/copier which is not a flatbed but a
> "regular" printer/copier that accepts paper sheets fed into it.
>
> Do I need special software to copy to a PDF on the computer?
>
> I lost the original HP driver disk long ago but can download the drivers if
> that's what I need to copy-to-pdf.
>
> Or is there "special" WinXP PC software that allows a printer copy to be
> converted to a PDF?

Take a look here: http://www.dopdf.com/

hr(bob) hofmann@att.net

Feb 13, 2010, 4:19:59 PM2/13/10
On Feb 13, 2:58 pm, Van Chocstraw <boobooililili...@roadrunner.com>
wrote:

Are you trying to scan/convert a text document to text and then
convert to pdf, or do you want to go directly from whatever is scanned
to pdf???

Mike

Feb 13, 2010, 6:00:33 PM2/13/10

duh,

Now fuck off.

The Daring Dufas

Feb 13, 2010, 6:23:41 PM2/13/10

Perhaps he was refering to USB, Universal Serial Buss?

TDD

nor...@earthlink.net

Feb 13, 2010, 7:37:53 PM2/13/10
Brent wrote:
> How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?
>
> I have the HP 3200m B&W laser printer/copier which is not a flatbed but a
> "regular" printer/copier that accepts paper sheets fed into it.
>
> Do I need special software to copy to a PDF on the computer?
>
> I lost the original HP driver disk long ago but can download the drivers if
> that's what I need to copy-to-pdf.
>
> Or is there "special" WinXP PC software that allows a printer copy to be
> converted to a PDF?

It is pretty easy to find drivers on HP website - need model name and
number. Did your printer EVER have the capability to save documents in
PDF format? I have a Cannon scanner and the driver allows saving but
not editing in PDF format.

Engineer@pnb.retired_1987 Don Schmidt

Feb 13, 2010, 7:42:16 PM2/13/10
Will this work for you?

Load Scanner

File
Programs
HP
HP Solution Center
Select Scanner
Scan Document
Scan to: Save to file
Scan
Accept
No

Name file and from
Save as type: PDF

Don
Vancouver, USA

"Brent" <beemd...@Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote in message

Mark Lloyd

Feb 13, 2010, 8:26:56 PM2/13/10

Are you sure Foxit is supposed to work with scanners? I don't see such
an option either in Foxit menus or their website. Where did you find
it?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster

HeyBub

Feb 13, 2010, 8:44:07 PM2/13/10

I think he was refering to Frosted Flakes.

David H. Lipman

Feb 13, 2010, 10:22:02 PM2/13/10
From: "Brent" <beemd...@Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid>

Brent:

All scanners have two seperate but merging softwares that allow them to be used by a
computer.

1. Hardware drivers.

2. TWAIN GUI middleware.

Once a given scanner has its hardware drivers installed, the Operating System knows how to
communucate with the hardware.

Once the TWAIN GUI middleware is installed any program that is TWAIN complaint will be
able to use the scanner.

For example I have a Canon colour flatbed and a HP 100 laser scanner attachment.

Now the Cannon has both #1 and #2 in two separate installers and connects via USB v2.0.
It shows up in Device Manager under "Imaging Devices" (WinXP).

The HP Lasetjet 1100 has an attachment that plugs in the front of the laser printer. The
Laserprinter connects to PC via parallel port. However in my case, it is connected to an
external HP JetDirect print server. Here #1 and #2 is included into one installer for its
own application, "Laserjet Document Assiastant" and it runs in the background and you tell
it if the Printer+Scanner is connected via parallel port or over then LAN.

Take a program like XnView. It is a TWAIN compliant graphics application. Thus *any*
TWAIN complaint scanner who had their software installed correctly (Part #1 and #2) then
one can choose which is the default scanner. (Note the OS can only define one device as
"default scanner" at a time and thus once set, that chosen scann will the dafault for ALL
TWAIN compliant software under that OS).

One the default scanner is chosen you can actually initiate a scan and hold the object in
memory. Now its dependent upon what TWAIN compliant application does as its objective.
If it is XnView its is considered a graphic and thus you can now save it in any of the
standard formats like; .JPG, .PNG, .TIFF, .DCX., .PVX, etc.... Add PDFCreator from
SourceForge into the picture and you can now create a PDF from the scanned object.

Lets use another scnerio:
Lets us say you have Open Office (OO). OO is TWAIN comliant and can natively create PDFs.
Thus many of the modules will be able to scan into its respective Office application such
as its Word Processor and from there perform the scan and subsequently create a PDF.

No matter what application that one uses when you have chosen the deafult scanner, you
will use that particular scanner's TWAIN GUI interface. It will allow you resize, scan
portion, allow colour/B&W/Grey Scale and indicate at what Dot Per Inch (DPI) level.

So to sum it all up, the TWAIN is a standard for any TWAIN compliant application to use
and TWAIN compliant scanner. The TWAIN GUI is the middlware provided by the scanner
manufacturer and provides an interface to the device. With it you tell the scanner what
to sca, how to scan and in what format. Once scanned it is delivered to the requesting
application. That requesting application (through its TWAIN compliance) then can use the
scanned image for whatever pupose it needs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWAIN

--
Dave

The Daring Dufas

Feb 13, 2010, 11:58:06 PM2/13/10

Naaaaaa, he was referring to Froot Loops!

TDD

Bast

Feb 14, 2010, 12:02:08 AM2/14/10

"Ron" <rmoo...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> On 2/13/2010 12:25 AM, Brent wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 23:28:27 -0800, Craig wrote:
>>
>>> Download and install a "pdf printer" and you'll be able to save anything
>>> as a pdf.
>>
>> I'm not trying to print to PDF.
>>
>> I'm trying to scan to PDF from an HP 3200m laserjet printer.
>>
>> I tried all the scan2pdf programs listed but none worked because none
>> could
>> find the printer as a scanner.
>>
>> Each time they asked to select the scanner device, they all hung and did
>> not see the printer.
>>
>> Funny though. The printer works fine as a printer so it's connected to
>> the
>> WinXP PC by the serial port.
>>
>> I wonder if there is some trick to get the Windows XP PC to recognize the
>> HP 3200m printer as a scanner?
> It may sound obvious, but have you tried re-installing the scan drivers
> from HP? They *are* different from the printer drivers, yes?
>
> hth
>
> Ron Moore

I agree that it's probably a driver issue.
But the last HP printer I had (several years ago) had to have a massive
bloated application program installed that often crashed, and the only way
to fix it was to delete everything, and do a completely fresh install, each
time it did crash.
(usually once or twice a month)

OH !,... and now I remember why I no longer own an HP printer.

Brent

Feb 14, 2010, 12:18:46 AM2/14/10
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:23:41 -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:

> Perhaps he was refering to USB, Universal Serial Buss?

Actually, I meant the "parallel port".

Brent

Feb 14, 2010, 12:30:38 AM2/14/10
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 22:22:02 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWAIN

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the update. I read it with interest. I see I need to locate the
HP printer drivers for a Win XP version of the laserjet 3200m.

Unfortunately for two days the HP ftp web site has been unable to process
the driver request.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=28035&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=24354&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20%BB

Maybe it's just me, but this URL times out EVERY time when I try to access
ANY HP driver on that web page! :(
http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=28035&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=24354&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=228

Brent

Feb 14, 2010, 12:32:06 AM2/14/10
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 16:42:16 -0800, Don Schmidt wrote:

> Will this work for you?

> HP Solution Center
> Select Scanner
> Scan Document

The HP SOlution Center would probably work if I could download the Win XP
HP Solution Center printer drivers for the Laserjet 3200m but none of the
drivers are available on the HP web site.

Can someone just try the HP download to see if it's just me or if nobody
can access the printer drivers from the HP ftp site:

Starting at the HP LaserJet 3200m download page: http://tinyurl.com/ye47hqk
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=28035&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=24354&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20%BB

I press on the Windows XP link and then I try to access the firmware, the
drivers, anything ... and all time out and deliver nothing.

It's soooo very frustrating just trying to download a software driver.

I even tried CNET and other links (most of which are trying to sell
driver-detection software) but they pointed back to the bogus HP web site
where the drivers are listed but nobody can get them.

At least I can't. Can you?

Brent

Feb 14, 2010, 12:34:21 AM2/14/10
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 19:26:56 -0600, Mark Lloyd wrote:

> Are you sure Foxit is supposed to work with scanners?

No. I'm not sure. But I've realized from all your help that the problem is
that I can't download the proper Windows XP drivers for the Laserjet 3200m
from the HP web site.

http://tinyurl.com/ye47hqk

Nobody can (as far as I can tell) as I've been trying for two days.

You can click on the link for the driver but it times out, every time.

At least it does for me.

Brent

Feb 14, 2010, 12:36:26 AM2/14/10
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 13:19:59 -0800 (PST), hr(bob) hof...@att.net wrote:

> Are you trying to scan/convert a text document to text and then
> convert to pdf, or do you want to go directly from whatever is scanned
> to pdf???

All I want is what anyone would want which is to feed a piece of paper in
the printer (scan it) and have it show up on the Windows XP PC as a PDF
file.

I realize now I don't have the scanner drivers but when I go to the
scanners control panel, it doesn't have any entry for the HP 3200m Laserjet
printer.

And, as I noted, the HP web site doesn't allow downloads of the drivers for
this printer (at least I can't get them to download).
http://tinyurl.com/ye47hqk

Brent

Feb 14, 2010, 12:37:57 AM2/14/10
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 19:37:53 -0500, nor...@earthlink.net wrote:

> It is pretty easy to find drivers on HP website - need model name and
> number.

While it's easy to "find" the drivers, it's frustratingly impossible to
actually DOWNLOAD them from the HP web site! :(

I have been trying for two days to simply download a single driver off the
HP web site for the WinXP LaserJet 3200m and failed every time.

Can ANYONE download that driver off the HP web site?
http://tinyurl.com/ye47hqk

Message has been deleted

HeyBub

Feb 14, 2010, 6:33:57 AM2/14/10

I got their PDL driver okay (although HP has a piss-poor reputation for
drivers).

Maybe your firewall is getting in the way?

Airman Basic

Feb 14, 2010, 8:24:38 AM2/14/10
On 02/13/2010 11:32 PM, Brent wrote:

> I press on the Windows XP link and then I try to access the firmware, the
> drivers, anything ... and all time out and deliver nothing.
>
> It's soooo very frustrating just trying to download a software driver.
>
> I even tried CNET and other links (most of which are trying to sell
> driver-detection software) but they pointed back to the bogus HP web site
> where the drivers are listed but nobody can get them.
>
> At least I can't. Can you?

Seems to work here. Perhaps you need to try a different browser?

Message has been deleted

Gordon Darling

Feb 14, 2010, 11:25:53 AM2/14/10
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 05:30:38 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

<slime binned unread>

BlunderBird forgery

Filter on

$$gwx18quhxz9-wu_g$qv3bkmank

Peter

Feb 14, 2010, 11:46:59 AM2/14/10
Brent, that site works for me, on 2/14/10 at 11:44 AM EST. I just downloaded
the "HP Universal Print Drive for Windows PCL6" without a hitch by pressing the
black download button next to the driver's name on the page corresponding to the
link you provided after your text "driver request" in your above e-mail.
Perhaps me or someone else who seems to be able to download from that page can
e-mail the specific driver(s) you want from that page as e-mail attachments? Peter

Brent

Feb 14, 2010, 12:38:01 PM2/14/10
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 07:24:38 -0600, Airman Basic wrote:

> Seems to work here. Perhaps you need to try a different browser?

What exact link did you try?

This link does not work for me on multiple computers and on two browsers
(IE 8 and Firefox 3.6 on Windows XP SP3).

It just times out, time after time. I just did it again (see below).

Here's what happens when I go to the HP download driver process:
1. Start at HP support: http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html
2. Enter: "LaserJet 3200m"
3. That brings me here: http://tinyurl.com/yhn6y3z
4. Press: "Download drivers and software"
5. Press: "HP LaserJet 3200m All-in-One Printer"
6. Which brings me here: http://tinyurl.com/yloqjax
7. Press "Microsoft Windows XP"
8. Opens the LaserJet 3200m driver page: http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

I'm not sure which driver is the one I need for the scanner but I haven't
updated the firmware so I tried that first:
a) Click on "Download" for "hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility"
b) Waiting for h20000.www2.hp.com...
c) Transferring data from h20000.www2.hp.com...

And then it times out.

I think the driver I need for the scanner might be embedded here:
a) Click on "hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility"
b) Same "waiting for" and "transferring data"
c) But nothing gets downloaded

It finally times out.

I don't see how there's anything on my side stopping it (ActiveX is all
enabled on the IE browser and popups are enabled on both browsers).

Are you sure you were able to download the driver?
What is the file name & file size that you eventually downloaded?

Brent

Feb 14, 2010, 12:41:53 PM2/14/10
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 05:33:57 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

> I got their PDL driver okay (although HP has a piss-poor reputation for
> drivers).
>
> Maybe your firewall is getting in the way?

I think I'll disable everything (firewall, antivirus, popupblockers,
activex enabled, etc.) and keep trying ...

Some reported they could download the drivers at http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

Others reported that the HP "site was unavailable"; so I think it might be
a flaky site altogether.

David H. Lipman

Feb 14, 2010, 2:55:56 PM2/14/10
From: "Peter" <pk...@netzero.com>

| Brent, that site works for me, on 2/14/10 at 11:44 AM EST. I just downloaded
| the "HP Universal Print Drive for Windows PCL6" without a hitch by pressing the
| black download button next to the driver's name on the page corresponding to the
| link you provided after your text "driver request" in your above e-mail.
| Perhaps me or someone else who seems to be able to download from that page can
| e-mail the specific driver(s) you want from that page as e-mail attachments? Peter

That's neither the hardware driver nor TWAIN driver. That is only the PCL print drver.

nor...@earthlink.net

Feb 14, 2010, 3:02:32 PM2/14/10

I just downloaded the original driver on my clunky, slow dialup
connection. Took about a minute. I can't imagine what you are doing
wrong in downloading, unless your firewall or super busy traffic blocked
the download.

One of the help documents for your printer says that the default format
for scan-to-email is PDF.....have your tried that?
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=24354&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=24354&objectID=bpl08525

If your printer is 8 years old, you may have different versions of
stuff, like OCR or Acrobat, that aren't compatible. I've had 3 HP
printers and never had trouble getting them to do what I want. Canon
Cannoscan, about 6 mos old, about $80, does everything...scan and save
in many resolutions and formats, including PDF. Can't edit the PDF, of
course, in Acrobat Reader. Tried your scan-to-email to see if PDF works
that way?

There is a bunch of downloadables at the link below, including "Point
and Print Bundle", whatever the heck that is:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=28035&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=24354&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=228

nor...@earthlink.net

Feb 14, 2010, 3:04:26 PM2/14/10

I had no trouble at all navigating the site or downloading on several
diffent tries....if you are on Comcast, that might explain it. POS.

Brent

Feb 14, 2010, 3:16:36 PM2/14/10
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 15:02:32 -0500, nor...@earthlink.net wrote:

> One of the help documents for your printer says that the default format
> for scan-to-email is PDF.....have your tried that?
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=24354&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=24354&objectID=bpl08525

Once I get the scanner working ... I will try that as it's just what the MD
ordered.

The problem now is finding and getting the LaserJet 3200m "TWAIN" driver at
the HP site: http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

Brent

Feb 14, 2010, 3:20:18 PM2/14/10
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:55:56 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

> That's neither the hardware driver nor TWAIN driver.
> That is only the PCL print drver.

Oh no. It's hard enough to download any driver on the HP ftp site web page,
let alone the right driver!

Of these choices for the LaserJet 3200m http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

Which is the TWAIN driver?

HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5
HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6
HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PostScript

hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility

hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e driver
hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e point and print bundle
HP LaserJet 3200 PCL 6 driver
HP LaserJet 3200 PCL 6 Point and Print Bundle
HP LaserJet 3200m PCL 5e, PCL 6, PS Driver Bundle
hp LaserJet 3200 software update
HP LaserJet 3200m PS Point and Print Bundle
HP LaserJet Windows XP Communication Patch
HP LaserJet 3200m PS All-In-One Printer

Or are none of these options the TWAIN driver?

Airman Basic

Feb 14, 2010, 3:38:36 PM2/14/10
On 02/14/2010 11:38 AM, Brent wrote:

> I don't see how there's anything on my side stopping it (ActiveX is all
> enabled on the IE browser and popups are enabled on both browsers).
>
> Are you sure you were able to download the driver?

> What is the file name& file size that you eventually downloaded?

Followed your link and downloaded "lj623en.exe" successfully at 4.8 mbs.
Using Chrome but just tried it with FF 3.6 with same result.

Just to be sure, here's the page:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=28035&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=24354&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=228

Warren Block

Feb 14, 2010, 3:48:06 PM2/14/10

Unfortunately, "none of them" seems to be the answer:

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1266179829676+28353475&threadId=950340

Brent

Feb 14, 2010, 3:58:40 PM2/14/10
Hours later, I try again, and get a teeny tiny bit farther:

1. I go here
http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

2. I select the download button for the

hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility

3. It tries to get this file
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj623/lj-2479-2/lj623en.exe

4. But the error message invariably is
The server at ftp.hp.com is taking too long to respond.

Likewise with the "hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e driver" at
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj563/lj-5504-1/lj563en.exe

Can anyone else get these HP software driver URLs?
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj623/lj-2479-2/lj623en.exe
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj563/lj-5504-1/lj563en.exe

hr(bob) hofmann@att.net

Feb 14, 2010, 4:15:53 PM2/14/10
On Feb 14, 2:58 pm, Brent <beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied-

Address.invalid> wrote:
> Hours later, I try again, and get a teeny tiny bit farther:
>
> 1. I go herehttp://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

> 2. I select the download button for the
> hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility
>
> 3. It tries to get this fileftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj623/lj-2479-2/lj623en.exe

> 4. But the error message invariably is
> The server at ftp.hp.com is taking too long to respond.
>
> Likewise with the "hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e driver" atftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj563/lj-5504-1/lj563en.exe

Try getting/downloading the driver from a neighbor's computer and then
transfer it to your computer as an e-mail attachment or on a memory
stick.

aemeijers

Feb 14, 2010, 4:57:04 PM2/14/10

Works fine for me, like downloading from HP almost always does. I'm not
a fan of their bloatware client applications, but never had any trouble
finding drivers. Like others have said, I think something about your
connection is choked down, or your firewall is trying to protect you.
You may need to make the HP sites 'trusted sites' in whatever
browser/security/firewall packages you are using.

Of course, until you figure it out, you could always just take the
document down to Kinko's or someplace, and have them scan it to a thumb
drive or disc for you.

--
aem sends...

aemeijers

Feb 14, 2010, 5:04:11 PM2/14/10
You must have really friendly and trusting neighbors out your way....

--
aem sends....

nor...@earthlink.net

Feb 14, 2010, 5:32:55 PM2/14/10

Twain driver is probably in Windows....I can't imagine how it interacts
with your printer (or mine:o) but if you install old software, like your
printer, you might need to make sure WinXP is up to date. From the list
above, my GUESS would be the xp communication patch. On one of the
pages I posted links to, there is the option to let HP look at your
puter to see what it needs. I would definitely try that.

nor...@earthlink.net

Feb 14, 2010, 5:35:33 PM2/14/10

Wonder how you got into FTP??!! When I downloaded a driver, it just
gave me a window to save in.

nor...@earthlink.net

Feb 14, 2010, 5:53:10 PM2/14/10

The last time I had a really serious software issue was with the first
version of Win95. But, then, I had been through the trials of Win 3 to
try to overcome their kernel problems....made a computer user of me :o)

Message has been deleted

nor...@earthlink.net

Feb 14, 2010, 8:03:28 PM2/14/10
Stepfann King wrote:
> Brent <beemd...@Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid> wrote in
> Look, you've already been told the site is down. Now, you're a troll with
> all your excuses. Go to a "help" group and bother them. Take the Home
> repair group off your cross post.
> p.s. fuck off.

The site isn't down. If you don't like the thread, don't read it.

Message has been deleted

hr(bob) hofmann@att.net

Feb 14, 2010, 10:23:10 PM2/14/10
On Feb 14, 4:04 pm, aemeijers <aemeij...@att.net> wrote:

> hr(bob) hofm...@att.net wrote:
> > On Feb 14, 2:58 pm, Brent <beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied-
> > Address.invalid> wrote:
> >> Hours later, I try again, and get a teeny tiny bit farther:
>
> >> 1. I go herehttp://tinyurl.com/y9m742c
>
> >> 2. I select the download button for the
> >> hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility
>
> >> 3. It tries to get this fileftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj623/lj-2479-2/lj623en.exe
>
> >> 4. But the error message invariably is
> >> The server at ftp.hp.com is taking too long to respond.
>
> >> Likewise with the "hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e driver" atftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj563/lj-5504-1/lj563en.exe
>
> >> Can anyone else get these HP software driver URLs?ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj623/lj-2479-2/lj623en.exeftp...

> > Try getting/downloading the driver from a neighbor's computer and then
> > transfer it to your computer as an e-mail attachment or on a memory
> > stick.
>
> You must have really friendly and trusting neighbors out your way....
>
> --
> aem sends....- Hide quoted text -

I would trust my life with most of my neighbors. They are a great
bunch of folks, have known them for at least 15 years and gone thru
births, deaths and marriages during that time.

aemeijers

Feb 14, 2010, 10:49:17 PM2/14/10

I don't even know most of my neighbor's names, and have never been in
their houses....
Nothing against them, mind you, it just never came up. We nod and wave
when we are out on our respective evening walks, one guy borrowed my
ladder once (which I happily lent, since he surprised me with a cleared
driveway a couple times before I bought my snow blower), and we shoot
the breeze when a house goes vacant, and all gather for the realtor open
house. But we don't really socialize. Only reason I think some of them
even have computers, is because my router shows them banging on the
door.... (Not on purpose, I'm sure- just typical big-box promiscuous
wireless setups.)

Guess I got stand-offish living in apartments all those decades, what
with the constant turnover, and too-tight quarters. But having an
old-fashioned neighborhood like you do is a very nice thing....

--
aem sends...

Brent

Feb 15, 2010, 12:41:27 AM2/15/10
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:38:36 -0600, Airman Basic wrote:

> Followed your link and downloaded "lj623en.exe" successfully at 4.8 mbs.
> Using Chrome but just tried it with FF 3.6 with same result.

> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=28035&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=24354&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=228

Thanks Airman! The bad news is I can't (yet) get that file but the good
news is that, if others can get it, then it must be something in my setup.

I'll keep looking at my setup. I think it's in the router more than the
computer if it is, 'cuz I can't get it from multiple computers.

What I will try to do is bring a flash card to the local library, access
this thread, and try to download it from there (I doubt they have
newsreaders but I think google will show this thread ok).

Thanks for confirming that the problem is on my side and not on the HP
side.

Brent

Feb 15, 2010, 1:06:34 AM2/15/10
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 13:15:53 -0800 (PST), hr(bob) hof...@att.net wrote:

> Try getting/downloading the driver from a neighbor's computer and then
> transfer it to your computer as an e-mail attachment or on a memory
> stick.

Oh oh. The answer from Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> on 2/14/2010 at
8:48:06 PM seems to be that NONE of the scanner TWAIN drivers are available
directly from HP's free web site.

:(

Brent

Feb 15, 2010, 1:09:13 AM2/15/10
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:04:11 -0500, aemeijers wrote:

>> Try getting/downloading the driver from a neighbor's computer and then
>> transfer it to your computer as an e-mail attachment or on a memory
>> stick.
> You must have really friendly and trusting neighbors out your way....

If that route would have worked, I would have substituted "local library"
for "friendly neighbor".

Either way would work IF HP actually supplied the TWAIN scanner drivers for
the Laser Jet 3200 m on their web site.

But, the message from Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> on 2/14/2010 at
8:48:06 PM shows others have tried and failed.

The necessary TWAIN drivers for the scanner on the HP 3200m are NOT
available for free on the HP download site. You have to order a replacement
CDROM.

Now, at least, I know what I need to do. (finally)

Brent

Feb 15, 2010, 1:12:34 AM2/15/10
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 16:57:04 -0500, aemeijers wrote:

> Of course, until you figure it out, you could always just take the
> document down to Kinko's or someplace, and have them scan it to a thumb
> drive or disc for you.

Actually I ended up taking a photograph of the document and then printing
that photograph to PDF with the cutePDF freeware printer driver.

But the results are substandard - and scanning directly from the HP 3200m
LaserJet to an OCR-capable PDF file on disk is really the way to go.

Brent

Feb 15, 2010, 1:21:19 AM2/15/10
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:32:55 -0500, nor...@earthlink.net wrote:

> there is the option to let HP look at your

> computer to see what it needs [for a TWAIN scanner driver].

> I would definitely try that.

I did try that yesterday. And failed.

1. In Firefox 3.6, on WinXP SP3, I started at the HP driver page for the
Laser Jet 3200m
http://tinyurl.com/yd9qpm5

2. I pressed the HP link titled "Automatically check to see if your driver
needs updating (MS windows only)"
http://www.hp.com/cpso-support-new/SDD/index.htm?lang=en&cc=us

3. On Firefox 3.6, this reported the error:
HP Instant Support - Driver Check
Unsupported Operating System or Browser
Currently HP Instant Support - Driver Check supports
only Windows 2000, Windows XP, and later systems
running Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 5.0 and above.

4. On IE 8.0, this also failed with no errors reported (just a blank page).

End result: Nice idea of HP to check for outdated drivers - but bad
implementation. And, even so, there's great doubt HP would update the TWAIN
drivers (which is what we need to enable the HP LaserJet 3200 m scanner).

Brent

Feb 15, 2010, 1:31:07 AM2/15/10
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 20:03:28 -0500, nor...@earthlink.net wrote:

> The site isn't down. If you don't like the thread, don't read it.

Hi Norminn,

Thanks for your help. I think I've found the answer (finally).

It turns out from Airman Basic <airman...@hotmail.com> on 2/14/2010 at
2:38:36 PM (and others), that the HP driver site isn't down (as you noted).

If the solution were that simple, I'd just go to the local library and
download the required TWAIN drivers for the HP LJ3200m LaserJet scanner and
be done with it.

However, the ominous message from Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> on
2/14/2010 at 8:48:06 PM showed a more sinister problem.

HP apparently doesn't supply the TWAIN drivers needed for the HP LJ 3200m
scanner on their freeware web page.

The only known solutions for the HP LJ 3200m are the following:
a) Find the original CDROM that came with the HP LJ 3200m in 2001
b) Order from HP the WinXP replacement CDROM TWAIN drivers (at some cost)
c) Find where someone has kindly made the CDROM available for download

I'm currently working on option (c) above and I think I will be able to
report success in an hour or so (the HP TWAIN driver CDROM is reputedly 500
MBytes).

Brent

Feb 15, 2010, 1:34:26 AM2/15/10
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 06:12:34 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

> Actually I ended up taking a photograph of the document

> Then printing that photograph to PDF

> But the results are substandard

I should mention that the reason the results sucked were mostly that some
strange effect cropped in the picture so that NONE of the four sides were
parallel with each other!

I'm not sure why, but, somehow the camera introduced a bending of the
edges!

Somehow, the 8.5x11 sheet of paper, when photographed, had the sides bent
at a slight angle such that cropping could only be done by cutting into the
margins.

Even then, the edges of the text didn't coincide evenly with the edges of
the cropped edge of the paper.

UnsteadyKen

Feb 15, 2010, 4:34:37 AM2/15/10
Brent said...

> Actually, I meant the "parallel port".

Have you gone into the bios and set the parallel port to 'enhanced' or
'Bi-directional' operation, or tried a USB connection?

The scanner portion of my HP DeskJet is accessible from other programs
using just the Vista basic drivers on USB.

The HP Solution Centre software does offer a 'Scan to PDF option', but
I don't know if it is available for your printer.

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/

Airman Basic

Feb 15, 2010, 7:55:13 AM2/15/10
Reading the HP download info, noticed this:

"Note: Some download management or acceleration software may cause
issues with file downloads. Please disable any download management
software if you experience problems downloading a file."

If you're running any of that ilk, could be your problem. Years ago in
dial-up days, I remember GetRight giving me fits, 'til I disabled it for
the particular download.

J. Clarke

Feb 15, 2010, 10:05:19 AM2/15/10
Brent wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 06:12:34 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:
>
>> Actually I ended up taking a photograph of the document
>> Then printing that photograph to PDF
>> But the results are substandard
>
> I should mention that the reason the results sucked were mostly that
> some strange effect cropped in the picture so that NONE of the four
> sides were parallel with each other!
>
> I'm not sure why, but, somehow the camera introduced a bending of the
> edges!

Google "barrel distortion" and "pincushion distortion".

> Somehow, the 8.5x11 sheet of paper, when photographed, had the sides
> bent at a slight angle such that cropping could only be done by
> cutting into the margins.
>
> Even then, the edges of the text didn't coincide evenly with the
> edges of the cropped edge of the paper.

Three options.

First, if your lens can fill the frame with the document through its entire
zoom range, try different focal lengths and see if it has a low-distortion
sweet spot--if it does then remember to use that for document copying.

If it doesn't have a sweet spot that's good enough, then you need to do
distortion correction.

To do distortion correction, first check whatever image editor you are using
and see if it has a built in capability--if so try that. If it's not good
enough then you need a third-party product. PTLens works and is cheap, DxO
has more features and is not so cheap. Both have free trials.

Or you can if you are using a DSLR or Micro 4/3 camera get a purpose made
macro lens.

Keith Nuttle

Feb 15, 2010, 11:12:03 AM2/15/10
If your camera has a moderate number of pixel, instead of making the
document as large a percent of the image as possible, back down and make
the document a much smaller percent of the total image. This should help
with the edge distortion as there is no distortion in the middle area of
most lens.

To get the final image, crop the image to document size. Most text
documents do not require a significant number of pixels in the image to
get a readable image. I have seen 640X480 document images that are
quite readable. Most modern cameras, even with significant cropping
will give you more pixel in the image than 640X480

NameHere

Feb 15, 2010, 11:19:20 AM2/15/10
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:05:19 -0500, "J. Clarke" <jclarke...@cox.net>
wrote:

Or use any of the super-zoom P&S cameras which have extremely low geometric
distortions. A good example being the Canon Powershot S2, S3, and S5 IS P&S
cameras. All using the same lens design. Perfect for document copying
projects.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/page5.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/page5.asp

"Barrel distortion - 1.0% at Wide angle, Equiv. focal length: 36 mm

Pincushion distortion - 0.1% at Telephoto, Equiv. focal length: 432 mm

The S5 IS exhibits remarkably low distortion given the huge focal length
range - 1.1% barrel distortion at the wide end, and no measurable
distortion at all at the full 432mm telephoto end. There is also only
barely measurable - and hardly noticeable - vignetting."

This is something that few if any DSLR lenses can accomplish. There are
other super-zoom P&S cameras from other companies with similar exceptional
performance. Hunt them out. In the above example, the barrel distortion is
mostly at the wide-end and nearly all of the full focal-length zoom range
is devoid of geometric distortion.

No need for overpriced DxO bloatware to try to correct all the problems
with overpriced and special-use DSLR novelty glass.

(When are you DSLR Trolls going to realize that your hopeful imaginings are
never going to win against reality.)

If you absolutely must frustrate yourself with badly corrected and
overpriced DSLR optics, you can get a little break from the money you've
wasted so far by using a free "Lens Correction" plugin from this link

<http://www.photo-plugins.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=68&Itemid=43>
Usable with virtually any editor that supports plugins, including all the
freeware ones.

Granted, there are better plugins out there, and most editors these days
include lens-geometry correction filters already built-in. But if you are
without, the above will probably suffice. Use the zoom buttons and then
move the image so a border of your image is up against the viewing frame,
then make that edge aligned straight with the viewing pane's straight-edge.

Ron

Feb 15, 2010, 2:37:27 PM2/15/10

A later poster mentioned potential problems with download managers. In
FF 3.6, have you tried right-clicking on the link to do a "Save link
as..." I've gotten things onto the desktop the way I used to with FF.

hth

Ron Moore

I am Tosk

Feb 15, 2010, 4:13:05 PM2/15/10
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 02:48:33 +0000, Stepfann King wrote:

> "nor...@earthlink.net" <nor...@earthlink.net> wrote in

> You can fuck off,too.
OOOOOOooooooo! that really turns some of us on when you talk that way big
boy. you sound sssooooooooooooo manly! OOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
can you make a pdf document, too?

Peter Flynn

Feb 15, 2010, 3:29:02 PM2/15/10
Brent wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 22:22:02 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWAIN
>
> Hi Dave,
> Thanks for the update. I read it with interest. I see I need to locate the
> HP printer drivers for a Win XP version of the laserjet 3200m.
>
> Unfortunately for two days the HP ftp web site has been unable to process
> the driver request.
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=28035&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=24354&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20%BB
>
> Maybe it's just me, but this URL times out EVERY time when I try to access
> ANY HP driver on that web page! :(
> http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=28035&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=24354&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=228

Why not use the install disk that came with the printer?

///Peter

Peter Flynn

Feb 15, 2010, 3:31:37 PM2/15/10
Brent wrote:
> Hours later, I try again, and get a teeny tiny bit farther:
>
> 1. I go here
> http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c
>
> 2. I select the download button for the
> hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility
>
> 3. It tries to get this file
> ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj623/lj-2479-2/lj623en.exe
>
> 4. But the error message invariably is
> The server at ftp.hp.com is taking too long to respond.
>
> Likewise with the "hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e driver" at
> ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj563/lj-5504-1/lj563en.exe

Works for me

> $ wget ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj623/lj-2479-2/lj623en.exe
> --2010-02-15 20:30:06-- ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj623/lj-2479-2/lj623en.exe
> => `lj623en.exe'
> Resolving ftp.hp.com... 15.200.30.22, 15.193.113.29
> Connecting to ftp.hp.com|15.200.30.22|:21... connected.
> Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!
> ==> SYST ... done. ==> PWD ... done.
> ==> TYPE I ... done. ==> CWD /pub/softlib/software1/lj623/lj-2479-2 ... done.
> ==> SIZE lj623en.exe ... 5107712
> ==> PASV ... done. ==> RETR lj623en.exe ... done.
> Length: 5107712 (4.9M)
>
> 100%[======================================>] 5,107,712 231K/s in 27s
>
> 2010-02-15 20:30:39 (183 KB/s) - `lj623en.exe' saved [5107712]

///Peter

aemeijers

Feb 15, 2010, 3:42:43 PM2/15/10
Peter Flynn wrote:
(snip)

> Why not use the install disk that came with the printer?
>
> ///Peter

He can't find it. BTDT, usually on a second-hand printer, or because the
idiot contractors that support us at work throw out any CDs that haven't
been used in a couple of years, and only keep one set of disks for each
flavor of printer. (Install 50 printers just alike, keep one set of
disks, throw the rest away. I always look in the dumpsters when I pass
them, and my CYA collection has saved the day more than once.)

--
aem sends...

Brent

Feb 15, 2010, 4:33:51 PM2/15/10
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:34:37 -0000, UnsteadyKen wrote:

> Have you gone into the bios and set the parallel port to 'enhanced' or
> 'Bi-directional' operation, or tried a USB connection?

I'm hoping to stay away from the BIOS. There is only one USB port on my
laptop so I keep it only for the keyboard and mouse (which is attached to
the USB on the keyboard).

I'll stick with the serial port which it has been using since 2001.

Hopefully I won't have to mess with the BIOS just to get scanning done.
I did finally download the HP scanner software (whew!) and am testing it
now.

Brent

Feb 15, 2010, 4:39:07 PM2/15/10
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 06:55:13 -0600, Airman Basic wrote:

> Reading the HP download info, noticed this:
> "Note: Some download management or acceleration software may cause
> issues with file downloads.

Hi Airman,
I'm sure I have something on my setup now that I know others can get the HP
software from http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200

The good news is that my lack of ability to download from that HP driver
site won't matter because the TWAIN drivers I need aren't there. :(

The good news is I did find the TWAIN drivers based on the information from
Warren (Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> 2/14/2010 8:48:06 PM).
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1266179829676+28353475&threadId=950340

It took 3 tries but I've now downloaded the HP software for the TWAIN
drivers (271 MB zip file) from someone who posted it on the Internet and
installed it. It was dated in the year 2000 so it's old (even older than my
2001 HP LaserJet 3200 printer) but it seems to now allow the scanner to be
recognized.

It's still not scanning to PDF but I'm working on that problem now (which
is a totally different issue now than not having the TWAIN

:)

Brent

Feb 15, 2010, 4:47:05 PM2/15/10
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:31:37 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

Thanks Peter.

I found out the LaserJet 3200 TWAIN drivers are NOT on the HP web site
http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200 :(

Turns out someone posted the entire HP 271Mb CDROM as a zip file here: :)
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1266179829676+28353475&threadId=950340

A few of those HP CDROM links and torrernts didn't work but this one worked
on the 3rd try:
http://s197185871.onlinehome.us/hpdownloads/

So now I have the HPLJ3200 "TWAIN" drivers installed (these files were from
2000 which predates my printer mfg date of 2001 though).

The hp laser jet 3200m printer is still not scanning to PDF (yet) but at
least the printer is recognized as a scanner (which it wasn't before).

Brent

Feb 15, 2010, 4:54:12 PM2/15/10
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 06:31:07 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:
> The only known solutions for the HP LJ 3200m are the following:
> a) Find the original CDROM that came with the HP LJ 3200m in 2001
> b) Order from HP the WinXP replacement CDROM TWAIN drivers (at some cost)
> c) Find where someone has kindly made the CDROM available for download

To report back to the team, the TWAIN drivers are definitely not on the HP
support pages: http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200

Warren Block confirmed that in this URL:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1266270241277+28353475&threadId=950340

Most of the links in that URL were dead but this one worked on the 3rd try:
http://s197185871.onlinehome.us/hpdownloads/

The software is huge and OLD (it predates the printer mfg date) but once I
installed the 271 Mbytes, it added something called "HP LaserJet Device
Configuration", and "Scandrivers and Copier Software", and "Screen Fonts",
and "Readiris Pro 6.0 OCR Application", etc.

Now Scan2PDF recognizes the printer as a scanner.

I still haven't gotten the setup to scan to PDF but now the problem is
muuuuuch simpler. It's just to find which freeware to use to scan a
document to PDF (which was the original question).

Brent

Feb 15, 2010, 4:57:00 PM2/15/10
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:29:02 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

> Why not use the install disk that came with the printer?

I would if I could find them. I bought the HP LaserJet 3200m
printer/scanner in 2001 for over $650 (which was a lot in those days for a
B&W printer).

I've moved twice since then; and changed computers multiple times; and,
well, if I knew then that it was nearly impossible to find the TWAIN
drivers for the computer, I'd have put the original CDROM in a safety
deposit box or something.

Whew! I can't believe how hard it was to find basic HP scanner drivers!

Brent

Feb 15, 2010, 5:03:48 PM2/15/10
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:42:43 -0500, aemeijers wrote:

> BTDT, usually on a second-hand printer

I don't know what BTDT means but thanks for clarifying.

Yes, I lost the original HP TWAIN driver CDROM after changing PCs and
moving a couple of times.

While "printer" drivers are easy to find, I thought (like others did) that
HP "scanner" drivers could just as easily be downloaded from the HP web
site http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200

Sad to say, there are NO TWAIN drivers for the scanner on HP's web site!

From the Warren Block pointer, I finally found a posted huge 271 MB zip
file of the ancient HP CDROM on the Internet (dated 2000 whereas I bought
my laserjet for $650 new back in 2001).

It's still not scanning to PDF but at least the scan2pdf freeware
application is recognizing the scanner! (success almost at last)

Note to self:
If I had known that it was nearly impossible to find HP scanner drivers, I
would have archived the CDROM in a safety deposit box at the bank!

Brent

Feb 15, 2010, 5:13:26 PM2/15/10
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:37:27 -0800, Ron wrote:
> A later poster mentioned potential problems with download managers.

Hi Ron,

My download problem on the HP driver site http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200
seems to only be on my side so I agree, my many download managers may be
getting in the way (mostly for downloading Utube and Flash FLV videos and
then stripping out the audio into MP3 files).

But it turns out to be a red herring because Warren Block's URL shows me
that NOBODY can get the TWAIN drivers for their HP scanner/printer from the
HP support site!
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1266179829676+28353475&threadId=950340

Trying every single torrent and rapidshare in that thread, this one finally
worked on the 3rd try to download the original HP TWAIN drivers in a 271
Mbyte zip file.
http://s197185871.onlinehome.us/hpdownloads/

One problem is these TWAIN drivers are from 2000 and my printer was bought
new in 2001 for $650 (which was a lot of money for a B&W printer in those
days) but at least the scan2pdf freeware now recognizes the scanner!

I don't yet have the scanning to PDF working but I'm hoping I can report it
working soon.

In hind sight, if I had known how impossible it is to obtain HP drivers, I
would have put the original HP CDROM in a safety deposit box so that it
could be used after multiple PCs and moves occurred since 2001.

Lesson learned!

David H. Lipman

Feb 15, 2010, 5:30:04 PM2/15/10
From: "Brent" <beemd...@Use-Author-Supplied-Address.invalid>

| Hi Ron,

| Lesson learned!

There 'ya go.

That 270MB installer is the complete package to allow the OS to scan and print.
There is NO reason to go into the BIOS, you problem is purely a software problem realted
to your HP hardware.

--
Dave

It is loading more messages.