Air Compressor Question

DerbyDad03

Jan 14, 2007, 3:48:24 PM1/14/07
My neighbor bought a 2-gallon air compressor at Harbor Fright - the
Central Pneumatic model shown here.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47407

It seems that the input can't keep up with output.

In other words, when he uses the blow gun adaptor, he empties the tank
faster than the compressor can refill it and after a very short period
of time, he has to put the blow gun down and wait until the pressure
builds back up.

Is this to be expected of an inexpensive compressor or is his unit
defective?

MCL

Jan 14, 2007, 4:12:03 PM1/14/07
No the unit is not defective. Read the ad. Nailing, stapling, inflating &
air brush. All low volume, regulated & intermittent uses. No constant flow.
The blow gun just empties the tank. For that use you need a larger
compressor & larger tank. Your friend got what he bought; as advertised.

Mike

bill allemann

Jan 14, 2007, 5:09:49 PM1/14/07
you've just discovered why the store has all those really big, heavy
compressors.

"DerbyDad03" <teama...@eznet.net> wrote in message

marks...@yahoo.com

Jan 14, 2007, 5:33:12 PM1/14/07

Its not a matter of the cost of the compressor but rather one of
capacities. Each compressor will have a CFM rating which is cubic feet
per minute of air at a specific pressure. If the attachment requires
more air then it will drain the reserve and wont operate any more.

For some things like nail guns it will limit the duty cycle, that is ,
you can fire x nails and then have to wait for the compressor to
rebuild the air pressure.

Red

Jan 14, 2007, 5:58:05 PM1/14/07

DerbyDad03 wrote:

> Is this to be expected of an inexpensive compressor or is his unit
> defective?

As others have said, the unit is too small for it's use. That said, I
made the same mistake. However, I paralleled the output into a larger
tank so I'm filling 2 tanks at the same time. Yea, I know the
compressor is not made to keep up with that volume, but it's better
than trashing the thing. If it burns out prematurely, at least I've
gotten some use out of it.

zxcvbob

Jan 14, 2007, 6:10:54 PM1/14/07

It's too bad that the manufacturers lie about the CFM ratings -- they
grossly overstate compressor specs, and grossly understate air tools'
requirements.

It's not quite a useless rating, but almost.

Best regards,
Bob

Edwin Pawlowski

Jan 14, 2007, 10:25:12 PM1/14/07

"DerbyDad03" <teama...@eznet.net> wrote in message
> My neighbor bought a 2-gallon air compressor at Harbor Fright - the
> Central Pneumatic model shown here.
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47407
>
> It seems that the input can't keep up with output.

They manual rates it at 3 SCFM air output at 90 PSI. The blowgun can use
much more. At 100 PSI, a 1/16" tubing can use 6.5 CFM, a 1/8" hole uses 26
CFM and 1/4" can use 104 CFM of air . It is designed for short blasts, not
a continuous stream of air. It may be a handy little compressor, but don't
think about big use tools like sanders or die grinders. They need at least
double to triple that volume.

Steve Barker

Jan 14, 2007, 11:15:16 PM1/14/07
A blow gun will tax even the better compressors. Same with air sanders,
da's, air drills, etc.

--
Steve Barker

Stormin Mormon

Jan 15, 2007, 10:05:02 AM1/15/07
The nice thing about the bigger tank, you can fill the big tank
over night, or during the off moments when you're not using the
air appliances. I've wondered if a water heater tank would be
good as an air compressor tank.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Red" <Red...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Tom The Great

Jan 15, 2007, 12:16:31 PM1/15/07
On 14 Jan 2007 12:48:24 -0800, "DerbyDad03" <teama...@eznet.net>
wrote:

Funny it comes with a 'blow gun' might have to either limit/slow down
the use of the blow gun, or upgrade to a larger capacity
(tank/compressor rate) machine.

Just a guess...

tom @ www.YourMoneyMakingIdeas.com

mm

Jan 16, 2007, 12:56:30 AM1/16/07
wrote:

>My neighbor bought a 2-gallon air compressor at Harbor Fright - the

I have something similar by Campbell=Hausfeld. I got it cheap and
broken at a junk yard, and while I was fixing it, I read about it.

I wondered what I would ever use it for.

So far, only once to pump up a car tire, which a could have done with
a tire pump.

I hope some day to staple or nail, if I can only find something to
staple or nail to.