outlet help

1 view

JK

Jun 25, 2006, 3:26:00 PM6/25/06
The GB Circuit Tester lights up when hot to ground and when neutral to
ground. It DOES NOT light up when hot to neutral. Same for all plugs
on circuit. Wiring was new 20 + years ago. Problem noticed when
plugging in iron caused power to go out, but didn't trip circuit
breaker. New circuit breaker and outlet haven't solved problem.
Suggestions appreciated.

chuckster

Jun 25, 2006, 3:36:06 PM6/25/06
Open neutral. Hire a QUALIFIED Licensed electrical contractor, because
this is way over your head.

Joseph Meehan

Jun 25, 2006, 3:35:38 PM6/25/06

It looks like a floating neutral. That means the white is not making
contact somewhere.

You may want to check all the circuit breakers to make sure one has not
gone. They don't always look like they have tripped even when they have.

It is also possible that the the neutral and ground have been
miss-wired. That is also bad. It is hard from here to determine exactly
what is going on.

If you are unsure at any time working on this, please stop and call in a
professional. Mistakes can cost your home or even your life.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

hal...@aol.com

Jun 25, 2006, 3:42:04 PM6/25/06

check all other outlets on this circuit, turn breaker off, put masking
tape by all dead outlets, see how many are effected.

who did the original wiring 20 years ago?

if your moderately handy and patient this can be fixed.

how many outlets are having trouble?

JK

Jun 25, 2006, 3:53:10 PM6/25/06
All 5 outlets in room have live neutral and hot wires as described in
original post. Wiring was done professionally when house was new.

Joseph Meehan

Jun 25, 2006, 6:55:57 PM6/25/06
JK wrote:
> All 5 outlets in room have live neutral and hot wires as described in
> original post.

>> Circuit Tester lights up when hot to ground and when neutral to

>> ground. It DOES NOT light up when hot to neutral.

Those two statements are mutually exclusive.

CJT

Jun 25, 2006, 7:33:03 PM6/25/06
Joseph Meehan wrote:

> JK wrote:
>
>>All 5 outlets in room have live neutral and hot wires as described in
>>original post.
>

>>>Circuit Tester lights up when hot to ground and when neutral to
>>>ground. It DOES NOT light up when hot to neutral.
>

> Those two statements are mutually exclusive.

Huh? If hot and (should be) neutral are both hot, where's the
inconsistency?

Tvfarmer

Jun 25, 2006, 8:24:05 PM6/25/06
Try a different type of testor - sometimes the simpler the better. this
will help to determine the problem. They are cheap and easy to read.
see link. http://www.inspectortools.com/gfciouttesbu.html

then decide what to do next.

When I move into a house I change all outlets and switches. (both were
over 40yo and both places I found potential fire hazards)

Also when you changed the breaker did you (re)tighten all the nuetrals
I have found them loose in the pannel before?

Jeff

buffalobill

Jun 25, 2006, 9:01:00 PM6/25/06
does the gizmo show ok elsewhere? at the neighbor's house? if so, to be
safe, turn off all your individual circuits which display the problem.
if this problem is throughout the house TURN OFF THE MAIN.
with your right hand safely in your pocket and your left hand holding
the telephone calling the power company, just explain to them your
problem, and they will come right over and check their power at their
meter for free. my daughter is an electrical engineer at a power
utility and always insists that you call on these dangerous open
neutrals or open grounds.
then you'll have two sources of information and ability to phone an
electrician for a service call.

he may need to with all the power off inspect and replace all of the
circuit's outlets with the burnt-open neutral wire. maybe some wire
too. your description suggests the problem is somewhere between the
iron and another one or more of the connections at the five outlets or
a connection box on the way to the panel.

also maybe explore upgrading to new type of breakers
http://www.handymanwire.com/articles/AFCI.html

Mark Lloyd

Jun 26, 2006, 12:54:28 PM6/26/06
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 22:55:57 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
<sligojo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>JK wrote:
>> All 5 outlets in room have live neutral and hot wires as described in
>> original post.
>
>>> Circuit Tester lights up when hot to ground and when neutral to
>>> ground. It DOES NOT light up when hot to neutral.
>
> Those two statements are mutually exclusive.

That's what would happen with a good ground and a live (same
voltage/phase as hot) neutral.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Joseph Meehan

Jul 6, 2006, 6:47:11 PM7/6/06
CJT wrote:
> Joseph Meehan wrote:
>
>> JK wrote:
>>
>>> All 5 outlets in room have live neutral and hot wires as described
>>> in original post.

>> Those two statements are mutually exclusive.
>>

> Huh? If hot and (should be) neutral are both hot, where's the
> inconsistency?

You know I had to read that three times before it hit me in the face
that I was totally wrong.