Overhead Door brand operator repair

cat...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

I have an Overhead Door Legacy (Model 496) operator. The sequencer board has
gone out (I have two operators - switching out this board takes the problem
from one unit to the other). I contacted my local dealer who wants $78 for
the board, and also indicates that this board is very subsceptible to
lightning damage (probably what happened to mine). My units are 2-1/2 years
old, and thus are out of warranty. I believe that the $78 is way too high
for a replacement part as I can buy a new Genie for $129 for the whole unit.

I have looked through all the literature that came with the unit for the phone
number of the factory, but there isn't a phone number anywhere in the booklet.
It appears that the factory is (or was) in Alliance, Ohio, but there is no
listing in Alliance for Overhead Door. Can anyone help with a phone number to
contact the factory directly to see if the sequencer board can be repaired or
replaced at a more reasonable price?

TIA
Richard

Bill Fish

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

cat...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
[...]

Well,the factory is in Alliance Ohio,but the factory is named
"Genie".They apparently built the machines as a private label job for
TODC.
The price for the sequencer board sounds about right,the same board is
used in Genie openers.I agree that it is high in relation to the price of
a replacement unit,and this is why I am kind of amazed that people have
garage door openers repaired instead of replacing them.Seems like every
week Home Depot or Sears advertise a special on some model or other that
can be bought for 120 or 130.At that rate it sure dont make a whole lot of
sense to fix the old one.I suspect a lot of folks dont want the hassle of
doing the installation.
I wouldnt bother calling the Genie Co.,they would probably just direct
you to the TODC dealer.You might take the board by the Genie dealer in
your area and get a price quote,they most likely can identify it on
sight.(NOT over the phone!).

bill...@clark.net
"It is time for you to stop all of your sobbing"
-Ray Davies