Getting cig. smoke smell out of guitar?

NewBugTDI

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/8/98
Anyone have any hints, tips or suggestions for getting the cigaretter smoke
smell out of an acoustic guitar? I got a great deal on a used guitar but,
dudes, it must have been owned by the Marlboro Man! It's a soft-finished Tacoma
(not gloss), and I fear the wood is saturated with the smell.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

Zorro_2K

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/8/98

NewBugTDI wrote in message <19981207203559...@ng23.aol.com>...

>Anyone have any hints, tips or suggestions for getting the cigaretter smoke
>smell out of an acoustic guitar? I got a great deal on a used guitar but,
>dudes, it must have been owned by the Marlboro Man! It's a soft-finished
Tacoma
>(not gloss), and I fear the wood is saturated with the smell.

I doubt if there is anything you can do, except leave it to air out over
time. Maybe get one of those in-case humidifiers and add some scent, like
mint, to the water.

Gatt

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/8/98
On 8 Dec 1998, NewBugTDI wrote:

> Anyone have any hints, tips or suggestions for getting the cigaretter smoke
> smell out of an acoustic guitar? I got a great deal on a used guitar but,

A couple of things you can do...

First, polish it with Gibson or equivalent guitar polish. It has a scent
of its own and will remove the surface smell and possibly cover the
imbedded smell.

Second, throw a deodorizer in your guitar case. What you use is up to
you. When I bought a used Telecaster recently, somebody had polished it
with some sort of cocoa-butter smelling substance. I suspect they left it
in the case, because you can smell it whenever the case is opened. It's
actually rather pleasant. Or, maybe you can market guitar perfume or
something!

Good luck,

Chris

> dudes, it must have been owned by the Marlboro Man! It's a soft-finished Tacoma
> (not gloss), and I fear the wood is saturated with the smell.
>

> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Dave

Chris Gattman | "The sky is humming,
ga...@europa.com | and my motor thunders...." -Floater

JMakowski

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/8/98
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, can't resist:

The finish wouldn't happen to be Tobacco Sunburst would it? 8-o

:-)

Actually, I traded a few useless (to me) computer parts for a '78
Hohner 6-string and it has the same exact problem. I've left it to
air for days on end, but the smell is still there.

Maybe I'll try the deoderizer idea. I was going to sprinkle Arm &
Hammer baking soda in the cavity and/or case, since it soaks up smells
in the fridge. Haven't tried it yet, though.

Regards,
Jim

On 8 Dec 1998 01:35:59 GMT, newb...@aol.comasif (NewBugTDI) wrote:

>Anyone have any hints, tips or suggestions for getting the cigaretter smoke
>smell out of an acoustic guitar? I got a great deal on a used guitar but,

Chip of Known Space

Dec 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/8/98
I don't know how to remedy your situation, but would like to ask
people - does it seem like cigarette smoke is "stickier" now than it
was maybe 5 years ago? I remember doing gigs in a totally smoky bar
for a few hours, and now it seems like if I stand in a semi-smoky bar
for just a few minutes my clothes smell just as bad. I'm wondering if
they're not adding some sort of additive that makes the vapor
"stickier", perhaps to encourage quitters to start back or to increase
nicotine absorbtion....

Chip McDonald
]]] Chip McDonald - ch...@mindspring.com
]]] "Try to be reasonable whenever possible"
]]] http://www.mindspring.com/~chipm/chip.htm
]]] Musician, voracious reader, overly contemplative thinker, punching bag for fate.
]]] "People think I'm in my own world; that's ok, they know me there" - J. Hodgson

George4908

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
I had exactly this problem with an acoustic I bought some years ago. Only one
thing took care of the problem -- time. Neither baking soda, deodorizers,
polishers or anything else made a dent in it. After about four years, I can
finally open the case without being blasted with the contents of someone else's
lungs.

Bones

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
Call a fire/flood restoration shop in your local area. They get fire smoke
out of stuff for a living. I bet they would be glad to help out in any way.
Lets us know what you find out.

Hope this helps....

Bones

George4908 wrote in message
<19981208225522...@ng-cf1.aol.com>...

Andrew Sachs

Dec 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/9/98
Chip of Known Space wrote:

> I don't know how to remedy your situation, but would like to ask
> people - does it seem like cigarette smoke is "stickier" now than it
> was maybe 5 years ago?

maybe you are just getting older and crankier. :)

Andrew

mike baker

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98
Sounds like a smokin' axe you've got there. Use baking soda inside, Fast
Orange on the outside, and stop using it as an ashtray. ;^)

--
јЄ КА`АКЄј,ИИИ,јЄКА`АКЄј,ИИИ,јЄКА`АКЄј,ИИИ,јЄКА`АКЄј,ИИИ,јЄКАј
| Mike Baker - Click bottom link to surf/read with 28.8 tunes|

Joey123b

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98
Try puttin some of those glade stickups on it ...lol

Chip of Known Space

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98

Quite possibly, but.. I just got in from being at a club for about an
hour. I'm going to have to get in the shower before I go to bed to
get the smell off of me, and again - it wasn't that bad in there,
wasn't that many people. Yet, I'm sitting here and it's awful. I
dunno.. Maybe I'm just getting crankier... Still...

Dsplamkr

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
>>maybe you are just getting older and crankier. :)
>
>Quite possibly, but.

I went to a charity jam at a downtown nightclub a couple of years ago. There
was only one other persons besides myself smoking. 20 years ago there would
only have been a handful of people smoking.
With so few people smoking these days, I can't see how it could bother you that
much. As a smoker for the past almost-30 years, I can testify that cigarette
smoke is much less "sticky" today than in days past, particularly in my own
case. I smoked Camel regulars for a while (non-filter) and smoked Lucky Strike
regulars for a while (non-filter), and smoked Chesterfield Kings (non-filter)
for years and years. The past several years I've smoked Camel Lights (filters).
The amount of tar in second-hand smoke coming from my cigarettes is a fraction
of what it was 15-20 years ago.

Jody Bilyeu

Jan 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/5/99
You reason that he's overreacting to the smoke where he is because there's
not much smoke where you are?

The bars where we play are smoky as hell. All the equipment stinks
afterward.

Contrary to popular belief, the tobacco in filtered cigarettes is identical
to the tobacco in unfiltered. Only the smoker enjoys the benefits of the
filter, unless he or she covers the filter's aeration holes with lips or
fingers as he or she puffs--a technique which most smokers have
unconsciously adapted, studies show.

As for the relative unstickiness of modern smoke, perhaps we should consult
a chemist on this one, but that sure does sound wrong.

Cordially,
Jody

Chip of Known Space

Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
On Tue, 5 Jan 1999 15:27:24 -0600, "Jody Bilyeu"
<rjb...@mail.smsu.edu> wrote:

>The bars where we play are smoky as hell. All the equipment stinks
>afterward.

Thank you.

>As for the relative unstickiness of modern smoke, perhaps we should consult
>a chemist on this one, but that sure does sound wrong.

It's been shown plenty of times, by their own research papers, that
they have taken every measure to increase the efficacy of nicotine in
all sorts of ways - I doubt they would make things "better" from a
health standpoint.