getting rid of cigarette smoke smell

Miles O'Neal

Dec 12, 2000, 8:49:12 PM12/12/00
The biggest downside to the Kalamazoo 3
is that it smells strongly of smoke. My
sinuses don't appreciate this, and just
cleaning it up and playing it for 5 minutes
stunk up two rooms in the house.

So, what's the best way to get this smell
out of an amp? Tolex, speaker, cabinet,
grillcloth, even the plastic seems to have
absorbed the smell. (Guess I've been lucky
to avoid this problem so far!)

Thanks,
Miles

Gary Gerhart

Dec 12, 2000, 8:58:40 PM12/12/00

Miles O'Neal wrote:

> The biggest downside to the Kalamazoo 3
> is that it smells strongly of smoke.

<snip>

> So, what's the best way to get this smell
> out of an amp? Tolex, speaker, cabinet,
> grillcloth, even the plastic seems to have
> absorbed the smell. (Guess I've been lucky
> to avoid this problem so far!)

Now that's a great question. Personally, I have no idea. I bought a 65
super reverb from a chainsmoker, kept the amp for about six years, and
the smell never did go away!

Gary Gerhart

Odin

Dec 12, 2000, 9:17:36 PM12/12/00
The Super Reverb that I just bought has a very yellow grille cloth and it
smells of smoke, especially when it's on. I don't think the smell will ever
go away. I pulled the chassis and reverb tank and cleaned the tolex real
good with Simple Green and blew out the cabinet and chassis with compressed
air so there's no dirt or crud left. I guess you could try hanging an
automotive air freshener in the rear of the amp and when the tubes heat the
amp up the smell of the air freshener would cover up the smoky smell.

Miles O'Neal <m...@rru.com> wrote in message

Bob Fellows

Dec 12, 2000, 9:49:38 PM12/12/00
> So, what's the best way to get this smell
> out of an amp? Tolex, speaker, cabinet,
> grillcloth, even the plastic seems to have
> absorbed the smell. (Guess I've been lucky
> to avoid this problem so far!)
>
> Thanks,
> Miles

Look for a product that I believe goes by the name "Ozium". I used to rent a
little Cessna from a guy that swore by it to eliminate tobacco smoke odors.
It came in a little spritz bottle & did seem to work well. That was years
ago, but they may still market the stuff.

CompUser

Dec 12, 2000, 10:22:25 PM12/12/00

"Miles O'Neal" wrote > The biggest downside to the Kalamazoo 3

> So, what's the best way to get this smell
> out of an amp? Tolex, speaker, cabinet,
> grillcloth, even the plastic seems to have
> absorbed the smell. (Guess I've been lucky
> to avoid this problem so far!)

The best odor remover I've found is a mix
of peroxide, baking soda and water. I mix
it up in an old spray bottle (hair spray pump type
stuff, real fine misty spray)...no exact proportions
here---about two ounces of peroxide, two or three
teaspoons of baking soda, and water (this is
in an 8 ounce spray bottle.

Open up the cabinet, remove as much panels, etc
as possible and vacuum it out good with an upholstery
brush. Then spray the peroxide stuff over it...not enough
to soak or run off, but enough that you get good coverage.
Turn it upside down, etc. to get all the inside surfaces.
Leave it be a few hours, and check. If it still smells funky,
give it another light spritzing. I'd leave it at least overnite
after that before you check it again. This is a good
"garage" project.

I never tried spraying it inside the chassis, and I wouldn't
recommend it...it seems like most of the odors emanate
from the wood of the cabinet, anyway. I did vacuum out
the chassis, however..some dust and insect stuff usually
show up there.

My Kalamazoo smelled real musty when I picked it up
this spring...it had sat in my dad's basement since 1980.
The treatment worked wonders on it.

Steve

George Johnson

Dec 12, 2000, 10:42:19 PM12/12/00

Auto parts stores sell a product called Odor-X, made by Turtle Wax,
that is supposed to get rid of cigarette smoke odors.

In article <916nuc$mpm$1...@slb1.atl.mindspring.net>, Bob Fellows

Magic Twanger

Dec 12, 2000, 10:13:22 PM12/12/00
My '66 Super stinks of smoke as well as my '69 Deluxe Reverb. The smell
doesn't really bug me since I gig quite regularly with them, and they will
just get smokier from the bars....
But I've heard "Febrese" (sp) fabric cleaner works quite well and doesn't
stain etc. Take off the baffleboard first so your speakers don't get wet.
I used it once in a guitar case my cat thought was a litter box and it
actually got rid of that nasty smell. (however it took about 5-6
applications.)
Real good for those old suitcases too.

"Miles O'Neal" <m...@rru.com> wrote in message

Robert Graf

Dec 12, 2000, 10:52:34 PM12/12/00
They use ozone to get rid of the smoke smell from fire damage. Your
insurance agent should know about this.

--
Financial freedom
One Click Away
"Gary Gerhart" <GaryG...@simonbros.com> wrote in message

Scott Blake

Dec 12, 2000, 11:00:34 PM12/12/00
Just hang one of those pine tree air fresheners off each knob of the amp.
It may look cool, and would certainly be in keeping with the holiday season.

Scott

Miles O'Neal <m...@rru.com> wrote in message

cjt&trefoil

Dec 12, 2000, 11:18:06 PM12/12/00
Meguire makes a product for removing the small from cars that I think is
even better. I've also had pretty good luck with Murphy Oil Soap.

YMMV

Mark

Dec 12, 2000, 11:34:43 PM12/12/00
Y'all could just start smoking. The smell of my amp never bothers me:)

"Scott Blake" <lind...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Lord Valve

Dec 13, 2000, 3:21:16 AM12/13/00
Ozium.
LV

nuke

Dec 14, 2000, 3:09:37 AM12/14/00
Ammonia based cleaners will work very well to dissolve cigarette smoke. At a
teevee shop I worked at years ago, we used glass cleaner with an extra shot of
straight ammonia added to it to clean nicotine off quickly. Watching that nasty
mud slide off will make you think twice about smoking.

Anything that is porous will soak up the smoke smell. If you want to go really
crazy you can strip the tolex, grille cloth, replace the speakers, tear down
the chassis and clean it thoroughly inside and out and paint the cabinet and
recover it.

Other than that, scrub it off as best you can and leave it in the garage until
the smell fades.

Miles O'Neal

Dec 16, 2000, 6:45:38 PM12/16/00
nuke wrote:

> Other than that, scrub it off as best you can and leave it in the garage until
> the smell fades.

Oddly enough, that's what I tried first. It's
still in the garage; I was hoping to speed
things up a bit... 8^(

Mpvaughn1

Dec 16, 2000, 11:27:20 PM12/16/00
Miles, I used Carbona Stain Remover. It is a foam cleaner and works wonders on
smell and stains. (It may be called Pet Stain Remover, or such) The grille
cloth on my SFDR looked new and did not smell of smoke after 1 treatment. You
should be able to find it in grocery, discount, and home improvement stores...

Regards,

Mike

remove the x to reply

DonsPC

Dec 18, 2000, 7:31:07 PM12/18/00
The best way to cover up the smell of old cigarettes is to light up a new one.