What's wrong with Cardiff?

Skip to the first unread message

Nyx

16 Nov 2007, 18:34:1416/11/2007
I've been watching Dr. Who and Torchwood. Everyone seems very down on
Cardiff, like it's the end of the world or something.

It seems very pretty to me. That's probably just the lighting, though. I
don't see what's so bad about the place. Anyone been there?

Since part of my family is Welsh all the extras tend to look like my
cousins...

Nyx

Jennie Kermode

17 Nov 2007, 08:26:2217/11/2007
On 2007-11-16, Nyx <secr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been watching Dr. Who and Torchwood. Everyone seems very down on
> Cardiff, like it's the end of the world or something.

I got pissed off with the Doctor rarely venturing further
afield (he has a time machine spaceship, for fuck's sake!), but I've
nothing against the place itself.

> It seems very pretty to me. That's probably just the lighting, though. I
> don't see what's so bad about the place. Anyone been there?

Stuart and I were there briefly in August. It seemed a nice
enough place, quite bright and clean. The people we met were friendly.
But it had that awkward small city feel to it - as if anyone who liked
the quiet life would rather be somewhere rural but anyone who like city
life would rather be somewhere bigger, if it weren't for work and family
ties. It's also one of those cities which has run-down housing estates
near the centre, which never helps.

Jennie

--
Jennie Kermode jen...@innocent.com
http://www.triffid.demon.co.uk/jennie

whisky-dave

21 Nov 2007, 12:01:2921/11/2007

"Nyx" <secr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

That could be what's wrong with Cardiff ;-)

whisky-dave

22 Nov 2007, 12:04:4622/11/2007

"whisky-dave" <whisk...@final.front.ear> wrote in message

Explanation :-

It's all the inbreeding amongst the welsh and their sheep.

Message has been deleted

Peter Constantine

29 Nov 2007, 13:52:3729/11/2007
Greylock wrote:

> I gather it used to be a hole, the Welsh liked to blow people up.

In the 1970s and 80s Welsh nationalists gained a reputation for burning
down holiday homes but they've never really been renowned for blowing
people up.

Two members of Mudiad Amddiffyn Cymru managed to blow themselves up
while planting a bomb on a railway line in 1969 but generally the Welsh
are more associated with nefarious activities with sheep than with
explosives.

["Nationalism is an infantile sickness. It is the
measles of the human race." - Albert Einstein]

Jennie Kermode

1 Dec 2007, 10:48:3101/12/2007
On 2007-11-29, Greylock <Greylock_NOTT...@vurt.net> wrote:

> Last episode Jennie Kermode <"Jennie Kermode"@triffid.demon.co.uk> said:
>> I got pissed off with the Doctor rarely venturing further
>>afield

> Like... London... in the 1960s-1970s?

Absolutely. That annoyed me too, though less directly so, since
I didn't watch it until long after it had originally been broadcast so I
could mix it up with other things. I've talked to some of the people
whose idea it was and I do appreciate what they were aiming for (rather
different, I think, from the reasons given for the Cardiff spree); I
just think it's rather a waste.

> Uniformly, no one I haver ever met who has been welsh, or who has lived
> there, has not been interesting, honest and engaging.

Oh I know a few who could do better on the 'engaging' part -
all goths, incidentally. ;) But overall, yes, you might have something
there. Wales retains a distinct culture, which is partly why its people
are stigmatised, but I think it has some great qualities.

Nyx

1 Dec 2007, 12:08:1101/12/2007
Greylock_NOTT...@vurt.net (Greylock) wrote in

> Like... London... in the 1960s-1970s?

> Telling that the Doctor has, in 44 years, visited the Americas three
> times on TV - Aztecs, Gunfighters and Dalek.

If that's the Dalek ep in the new series then I doubt they were in the US
even then. The whole episode was supposed to be in Utah but you could see
it was a soundstage. It was all indoors. It's amazing how often he can save
the world and never go outside.

Plus, there were a lot of English accents. I'm pretty sure I heard an extra
do that weird 'r' thing they do when they're trying to fake an American
accent. I think Hugh Laurie is the only Brit who can actually fake it.

Nyx

NightMist

1 Dec 2007, 13:30:0101/12/2007

Hang on, the one dalek in Utah, then the the Daleks in Manhatten in
season 3. That takes it up to 4?

NightMist
--

The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the
majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with

Nyx

1 Dec 2007, 18:10:0201/12/2007
night...@gmail.com (NightMist) wrote in news:4751a671.14303714
@news.madbbs.com:

> Hang on, the one dalek in Utah, then the the Daleks in Manhatten in
> season 3. That takes it up to 4?

Don't know. You're almost a year ahead, there. I didn't know there were
Daleks in Manhatten until now.

Nyx

Fnord Prefect Fnord

1 Dec 2007, 18:35:5901/12/2007
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 17:10:02 -0600, Nyx wrote:

> Don't know. You're almost a year ahead, there. I didn't know there were
> Daleks in Manhatten until now.

Im in the US and I already saw it on the SciFi channel.

kest

1 Dec 2007, 18:56:0001/12/2007
Nyx <secr...@gmail.com> scrawled:

They did, in fact, play that episode here already.

Nyx

1 Dec 2007, 23:14:5301/12/2007
Fnord Prefect Fnord <fnord...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:fisr4v$4cr$11
@registered.motzarella.org:

> Im in the US and I already saw it on the SciFi channel.

I think missed that one.

I never liked Dr. Who. It wasn't until the new series that I liked it. I
saw the pilot where he returned, and didn't like that. Then I saw the
eps with the tenth doctor and I really liked it. But the first ep I saw
of those was the one where the guy turns into a spider thing. So I
haven't seen most of series 3.

BBC america shows them, but they're in series 2.

I tried to download series 3 today but there was some sort of error with
bittorrent.

I never liked the show as a kid. I netfixed some of them. The first
doctor, those were good. But I don't like any of the others.

Nyx

whisky-dave

4 Dec 2007, 12:13:1804/12/2007

"NightMist" <night...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 11:08:11 -0600, Nyx <secr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Plus, there were a lot of English accents. I'm pretty sure I heard an
>>extra
>>do that weird 'r' thing they do when they're trying to fake an American
>>accent. I think Hugh Laurie is the only Brit who can actually fake it.

Was he faking it, or am I getting my Brit in the USA getting a blow job
the wring Brit. :)

> Hang on, the one dalek in Utah, then the the Daleks in Manhatten in
> season 3. That takes it up to 4?

But the episodes were filmed in Cardiff, the film crew went to Manhatten
to get the buildings filmed, but the Dr. and cast never left Cardiff,
or at least the UK, the special effects were done in the UK.

Axel

5 Dec 2007, 22:46:5505/12/2007
On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 17:13:18 -0000, "whisky-dave"
<whisk...@final.front.ear> wrote:

>> Hang on, the one dalek in Utah, then the the Daleks in Manhatten in
>> season 3. That takes it up to 4?
>
>But the episodes were filmed in Cardiff, the film crew went to Manhatten
>to get the buildings filmed, but the Dr. and cast never left Cardiff,
>or at least the UK, the special effects were done in the UK.

So what?

I think you'll find that William Hartnell didn't go to Mexico for the
Aztecs or Arizona for the Gunfighters.

Hell - having a film crew leave the country is a massive step forward.

--
Axel... ...Kallisti
"Everything is true, even false things" -Malaclypse the Younger

The Exiled, V.2

6 Dec 2007, 07:28:4406/12/2007
On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:34:14 -0600, Nyx <secr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I've been watching Dr. Who and Torchwood. Everyone seems very down on
>Cardiff, like it's the end of the world or something.

I'm down on Cardiff, but that's only because the bloody Torchwood
people are supposed to be secret...yet they're known to every
department and their fucking neighbor. Who they're fucking. Between
episodes. In tandem.
That might also be my irritation - Cardiff is looking like Swinger
Capital BayBay.

Regards,

The Exiled, V.2
===
"Oderint dum metuat." - Accius, from his play 'Atreus'
LJ: http://blackironcrown.livejournal.com
AIM/Yahoo: BlackIronCrown

whisky-dave

6 Dec 2007, 12:08:1106/12/2007

"Axel" <ax...@eol.ca> wrote in message

> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 17:13:18 -0000, "whisky-dave"
> <whisk...@final.front.ear> wrote:
>
>>> Hang on, the one dalek in Utah, then the the Daleks in Manhatten in
>>> season 3. That takes it up to 4?
>>
>>But the episodes were filmed in Cardiff, the film crew went to Manhatten
>>to get the buildings filmed, but the Dr. and cast never left Cardiff,
>>or at least the UK, the special effects were done in the UK.
>
> So what?

Jennie siad that Dr. Who hardly ever leaves Cardiff or words to that effect.
Which actually means the Daleks were never in Manhatten and niether
were the Doctor or the acting cast.
I was just pointing out that while it might look to some that Dr,. Who is
filmed
in other places it's not neccessarily true, unlike James Bond.

> I think you'll find that William Hartnell didn't go to Mexico for the
> Aztecs or Arizona for the Gunfighters.

I don't think he did, But Roger moore did leave the UK when filming
for James Bond. So it;s not true of everything.

> Hell - having a film crew leave the country is a massive step forward.

For Dr. Who it is yes but not every British TV program leave the actors
and actresses in Cardiff while they go and film in NY.

Nyx

6 Dec 2007, 18:38:0506/12/2007
"whisky-dave" <whisk...@final.front.ear> wrote in news:fj9aat$7v7$1
@qmul:

> For Dr. Who it is yes but not every British TV program leave the actors
> and actresses in Cardiff while they go and film in NY.

Do they have other shows in Cardiff?

It just seems odd.

Nyx

Nyx

6 Dec 2007, 18:39:2706/12/2007
"The Exiled, V.2" <thiscrowno...@gmail.com> wrote in

> I'm down on Cardiff, but that's only because the bloody Torchwood
> people are supposed to be secret...yet they're known to every
> department and their fucking neighbor. Who they're fucking. Between
> episodes. In tandem.

I hate Owen. I had hoped Ianto would shoot him in the head.

Nyx

The Exiled, V.2

7 Dec 2007, 09:22:1307/12/2007

He is the most trollish motherfucker I've ever seen on film and
reminds me of an ugly Peter Lorre with none of his redeeming
qualities.

Axel

7 Dec 2007, 09:23:5107/12/2007
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 17:08:11 -0000, "whisky-dave"
<whisk...@final.front.ear> wrote:

>Jennie siad that Dr. Who hardly ever leaves Cardiff or words to that effect.

You are either mis-remembering or thinking about a different thread.

This thread is in response to Greylock (not Jennie) saying " Telling

that the Doctor has, in 44 years, visited the Americas three times on
TV - Aztecs, Gunfighters and Dalek."

Not talking about the actors or the film crew but the character.

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.gothic/browse_frm/thread/8933e05f17ddb1ac/8ee89b15636fb9cd?hl=en&lnk=st&q=alt.gothic+%22What%27s+wrong+with+Cardiff%3F%22#8ee89b15636fb9cd

whisky-dave

7 Dec 2007, 12:13:2107/12/2007

"Nyx" <secr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Well there's Torchwood ;-)

And I've heard the joke about Cardiffs Leasure Centre, they teathered a
sheep
to a pole with a note saying help yourself, but please wash the condom
after.

whisky-dave

7 Dec 2007, 12:13:3707/12/2007

"The Exiled, V.2" <thiscrowno...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:34:14 -0600, Nyx <secr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I've been watching Dr. Who and Torchwood. Everyone seems very down on
>>Cardiff, like it's the end of the world or something.
>
> I'm down on Cardiff, but that's only because the bloody Torchwood
> people are supposed to be secret...yet they're known to every
> department and their fucking neighbor. Who they're fucking. Between
> episodes.

They are secret they have blacked out windows on their 4X4 with Torchwood
written on the side :-0

Nyx

7 Dec 2007, 17:28:2307/12/2007

> He is the most trollish motherfucker I've ever seen on film and
> reminds me of an ugly Peter Lorre with none of his redeeming
> qualities.

And it's like he's supposed to be a hotshot with the ladies.

I'm also annoyed that they seem to be turning Captain Jack completely gay.

Nyx

eveofdstruction

7 Dec 2007, 21:25:0407/12/2007
Axel <ax...@eol.ca> wrote in news:g1sel39dr5r5quk2785ugia0ilcpdfiavt@
4ax.com:

> I think you'll find that William Hartnell didn't go to Mexico for the
> Aztecs or Arizona for the Gunfighters.

Surely you jest! That certainly looked like Mexico to me. Especially that
bit where the edge of the backdrop was showing.

Jennie Kermode

8 Dec 2007, 11:57:2508/12/2007
On 2007-12-06, whisky-dave <whisk...@final.front.ear> wrote:
> Jennie siad that Dr. Who hardly ever leaves Cardiff or words to that effect.
> Which actually means the Daleks were never in Manhatten and niether
> were the Doctor or the acting cast.

It means what it _said_. Or do you know what I mean better than
I do, Dave?

Jennie Kermode

8 Dec 2007, 11:58:5708/12/2007
On 2007-12-06, The Exiled, V.2 <thiscrowno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That might also be my irritation - Cardiff is looking like Swinger
> Capital BayBay.

There's fuck all else to do around there.

Jennie

(Kerosene?)

whisky-dave

10 Dec 2007, 12:06:0510/12/2007

"Jennie Kermode" <"Jennie Kermode"@triffid.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> On 2007-12-06, whisky-dave <whisk...@final.front.ear> wrote:
>> Jennie siad that Dr. Who hardly ever leaves Cardiff or words to that
>> effect.
>> Which actually means the Daleks were never in Manhatten and niether
>> were the Doctor or the acting cast.
>
> It means what it _said_. Or do you know what I mean better than
> I do, Dave?

Well I really don't know.
What did you say or what did you mean.?

As far as I can work out tehy go to Cardiff because tehy have teh fault line
of something where they can charge the Tardis.
Back in the old Dr. Who days they were filmed in London,
now it's Cardiff, don't really see it as a problem myself.

The Exiled, V.2

15 Dec 2007, 05:51:5115/12/2007

Trufax. That's all I've got to say.
While I'm grateful to Russell for resurrecting the series from the
dead, I detest him as one of the most agenda-hounding people in the
business. I hope when he stops doing DW after the 2010 season that it
goes in a different direction than Doctor Who Is Fucking Who.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Troia

16 Dec 2007, 12:38:1216/12/2007
Greylock wrote:

> Last episode Nyx <secr...@gmail.com> said:
>> I never liked Dr. Who. It wasn't until the new series that I liked it.
>
> You are WRONG.
> Clearly. :)
>
> Srsly.

Ah, so Nyx actually did like it before the new series?

-- Troia

Nyx

16 Dec 2007, 16:37:4716/12/2007

> Seriosuly though, some of getting the Old is Understanding the
> Oldee-Stylee.

I rented the dvds. Not all of them, because they aren't all out yet. But I
watched enough eps to see what it was about. The stuff with the first
doctor was good. Everything else, including Tom Baker, sucked.

And what's this kids stuff? I'm your age. It's just that when I was young
Dr Who came on public televison late on saturday night. And it was all out
of order and they often just didn't show it for no reason. I was hardly
going to miss Saturday Night Live for that.

Still, though, Tom Baker, he's a big dork. What's up with all the teeth?

Nyx

Axel

16 Dec 2007, 19:00:3116/12/2007
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 18:26:16 GMT, Greylock_NOTT...@vurt.net
(Greylock) wrote:

>Last episode Axel <ax...@eol.ca> said:
>>Hell - having a film crew leave the country is a massive step forward.
>

>Not so much:
>City of Death
>Planety of Fire
>Two Doctors

Right - an increase to the number of stories with filiming outside the
UK of 33% and the first in over 20 years.
That's pretty massive.

Axel

17 Dec 2007, 21:16:2417/12/2007
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 18:20:13 GMT, Greylock_NOTT...@vurt.net
(Greylock) wrote:

>Last episode Nyx <secr...@gmail.com> said:
>>If that's the Dalek ep in the new series then I doubt they were in the US
>>even then.
>
>If you were in Utah, would you pop up above ground?

Absolutely. Utah is beautiful.

& not all of the people who live there are scary, crazy religious
loons. There are at least a few who are well worth visiting SLC for.