[OT] Invader Zim... what happened?

1 view

oddlystrange

Apr 20, 2002, 4:16:36 PM4/20/02
Did Nic finally pull the show? Anyone got details?

I know that the rebroadcast wasn't aired last week, and this week the
regular showings weren't on.

I'm miffed.

Anyone got info about this?

oddlystrange

(who was all ready for doomy goodness last night)

--
sharing violation: http://www.obscure.org/~perky
online yard sale:

The Chameleon

Apr 20, 2002, 5:31:27 PM4/20/02

"oddlystrange"

> Did Nic finally pull the show? Anyone got details?
> I know that the rebroadcast wasn't aired last week, and this week the
> regular showings weren't on.
> I'm miffed.
> Anyone got info about this?
> oddlystrange
> (who was all ready for doomy goodness last night)

reposted thread of mine from 2/5/2002

This is off Rikki (voice of GIR) & Tavi Simmons tavicat.com website

The link for the page
http://www.tavicat.com/updates.html

Text from the page
********************
Updates

01/20/2002
What has happened to Invader Zim?

On Thursday 1-17-02, at around 5:20 PM, only a few hours after we finished
recording the Christmas episode, all of the Zim crew was called into the
lounge area for an emergency announcement.
There, Jhonen and Mary Harrington broke the news that Nickelodeon was
reducing its order for 20 second season Zim episodes down to 6, bringing the
series at an end at episode 26, and making us, as a crew, finished as well.
The next day all of the story board artists and writers were asked to clean
out their offices and be gone by 5 PM.
As a colorist my last day will be March 1, but as a voice actor, I doubt
I'll ever get a chance to voice GIR again.
This makes me terribly sad. I wasn't ready to stop being that insane little
robot.
I don't think any of the crew wanted to stop working on the show... at least
not like this.
We thought we had another year of work in the least, and many were
unprepared as a result.
This doesn't feel real just yet. I keep thinking that I accidentally walked
into another dimension while I wasn't paying attention; I keep expecting to
look over my should to see the dimension where everything is as it should be
rapidly moving away.
I don't know what to feel other than shock and sadness.
I know all we did was make a silly cartoon show, but all of us were very
emotionally attached to these characters and situations, and we were so very
eager to make the public laugh.
Tavisha will be assisting us with a handful of backgrounds as we reach the
end.
After that, I don't know what's next. I'll post here as soon as I know.
There are still 16 episodes of Zim that the public hasn't seen.
I believe Nickelodeon will start showing them in March 2002.
Please watch and we hope you will all enjoy. Thank you.
end

Basically any letters written or that you plan to write will fall on deaf
ears.
Nick in only interested in their "11 and under" demographic and has no
plans to
release the rights to Invader Zim to Jhonen or anyone else for the time
being.
This is jus another example of big time biz execs with the heads firmly
planted
in their asses and their hands our for money.
I don't get it....
How can such inane and stupid shows like "Butt Ugly Maritans" and Sponge Bob
get so much play/ratings/etc.

There are still going to be "new" episodesthat have been in the can but not
aired coming up.
I'm looking forward to the X-mas one.
Apparently there is also a pilot episode that was never aired which rumours
say
may air in Oz or the UK.

--
The Chameleon
http://orsm.ii.net/youare/index.html

---

The Raphrat

Apr 20, 2002, 5:57:57 PM4/20/02
oddlystrange wrote:

> Did Nic finally pull the show? Anyone got details?
>
> I know that the rebroadcast wasn't aired last week, and this week the
> regular showings weren't on.
>
> I'm miffed.
>
> Anyone got info about this?
>
> oddlystrange
>
> (who was all ready for doomy goodness last night)

well, in addition to what Chameleon posted,
there's talk (and articles - i just can't find them
at the moment) regarding Nick's ending many of
their "adolescent" shows because the artists working
on them wanted to unionize.

also, Nick's been fucking with their scheduling
to the point where i've heard they lock a monkey
in a room with a scheduling grid and a magnetic
poetry kit. trying to find Zim is better left to
searching on your cable box.

- Raphrat
damn the man. DAMN the MAN.

roquelaure

Apr 20, 2002, 10:41:59 PM4/20/02
if anyone lives in the pittsburgh area, a couple of weeks ago, the
weekly "Rant" in the City Paper was from someone complaining about Zim
being cancelled. the person who wrote it blamed all the wrong
reasons, and i wrote a letter to the ed. about the real reasonings
behind its cancellation which is, from what i've heard, that it wasn't
reaching Nick's audience, which is, let's not forget kids. sure, it
is way popular with adults, but it isn't an adult cartoon network.
i'm sure there were some political and economical moves involved that
we public will never know about too.

ANYWAY, i don't know why i mentioned that. just wanted to i guess.
according to tv tome, "GIR Goes Crazy and Stuff" was supposed to air
last night. it didn't, but according to my digital cable guide thing,
it WILL be on next week, so no need to fret! :) this one is supposed
to be hysterical, btw.

-roquelaure

p.s.- please please please don't forget- as a very wise agfer told me
a couple months ago: Jhonen is releived the show is over so he can get
back to doing what he does best: comics! yay! a happy jhonen!

Zilljah

Apr 21, 2002, 2:02:56 PM4/21/02
Nick's audience is kids...so why did they pick up
Invader Zim in the first place if it was not within their
demographics? Geez...My twelve year old stepson not only watched Zim,
he loved it. Now I have to tell him it's over.

I only hope that somebody will collect the episodes on DVD so that I
can have a set and watch it when I need to laugh my ass off...

Zilljah

On 20 Apr 2002 19:41:59 -0700, a_n_roq...@yahoo.com (roquelaure)

ren

Apr 21, 2002, 4:16:50 PM4/21/02
> p.s.- please please please don't forget- as a very wise agfer told me
> a couple months ago: Jhonen is releived the show is over so he can get
> back to doing what he does best: comics! yay! a happy jhonen!

I noticed that Roman did the storyboards for some of these new cartoons.
They are on Sundays now.

oddlystrange

Apr 22, 2002, 12:48:35 AM4/22/02
In article <P6lw8.6402$CB3.374...@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
"The Chameleon" <chroma...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "oddlystrange"
> > Did Nic finally pull the show? Anyone got details?
> > I know that the rebroadcast wasn't aired last week, and this week the
> > regular showings weren't on.
> > I'm miffed.
> > Anyone got info about this?
> > oddlystrange
> > (who was all ready for doomy goodness last night)
>

> reposted thread of mine from 2/5/2002
>
> This is off Rikki (voice of GIR) & Tavi Simmons tavicat.com website

I think I need to clarify. I know that Zim was canceled. However, I was
also told that they were going to air the remaining unaired episodes. I
thought there were 12, not 5 that remained.

I'm curious to know why it is no longer on the schedule period. Has it
truly been canceled. Not "canceled, but still airing" like it was before.

oddlystrange

(who hopes that clarifies)

roquelaure

Apr 22, 2002, 8:12:59 AM4/22/02
>snippy the zim ponderings<

don't know if this helps figure out the 5 epi mystery or not, but i
just checked the tavicat site. it was updated on 4/11 with Rikki
Simons saying that they were in the studio doing some extra voice
overs for some remaining Zim eos recently. i'm guessing if nick
weren't planning on airing them, they wouldn't put the time and money
into fixing them up? hmmmm... the plot thickens...

LET'S MAKE BISCUITS! leet's... maake... biiiis... cuits,
-roque

Ashbet

Apr 22, 2002, 5:04:43 PM4/22/02
Heh. Well, for the record, *everyone* in my household (ages 9, 26, 28
and 31) loves Zim . . . 'doesn't appeal to the 11-and-under
demographic' my FOOT!! *grump*

-- Andi, who wants the episodes on DVD

Jhonen V

Apr 22, 2002, 9:01:17 PM4/22/02
"ren" <r...@netgoths.com> wrote in message news:<S6Fw8.259518$Yv2.68612@rwcrnsc54>...

Roman never storyboarded on ZIM. He worked as an idea person for some
episodes of the first season, but moved on to work on his own projects
long before season two.

A happy Jhonen would just be wrong. I'll find something new to get
sick of.

Jhonen V

Canticle

Apr 23, 2002, 11:05:01 AM4/23/02

"Jhonen V" <orga...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Roman never storyboarded on ZIM. He worked as an idea person for some
> episodes of the first season, but moved on to work on his own projects
> long before season two.

> A happy Jhonen would just be wrong. I'll find something new to get
> sick of.

Try world conquest. Just about the time you figure out how to accomplish it,
you realize you'd rather be stabbing your eyes out with salad forks.

Jeff-boy, Eater of Worlds
"No flesh shall be spared"

TSM

Apr 23, 2002, 12:11:34 PM4/23/02
orga...@earthlink.net (Jhonen V) wrote in message

<snip>

> A happy Jhonen would just be wrong. I'll find something new to get
> sick of.

I certainly hope you're not complaining.

Just to put this in perspective from the standpoint of a laymen,
we (as in this newsgroup and myself) watched your work grow from
a series of scatterbrained doodles in the back of Carpe Noctem
to an actual SHOW on NATIONAL TELEVISION that was FUNNIER THAN SEINFEILD.

No mean feat.

Now granted, I've never even kind of been
in charge of my own television show, but if I were,
I think I could pretty safely assume that it'd be a pain in my ass.
To that end, fuck it if you're tired of the bullshit.

Otherwise, I'm sure Cartoon Network would pick it up.
If they'll air Cow and Chicken, they'll air any Goddamned thing.

> Jhonen V

--TSM

(I have a turtle, it is painted black, and it is spooky.)

Amelia B. Preston

Apr 23, 2002, 7:29:26 PM4/23/02
Ashbet wrote in message
> Heh. Well, for the record, *everyone* in my household (ages 9, 26, 28
> and 31) loves Zim . . . 'doesn't appeal to the 11-and-under
> demographic' my FOOT!! *grump*

I can't go a *day* carrying my Lenore lunchbox without kids
insisting it's the same as Invader Zim. In the pizza place, in
Tompkins Sq Park, back home when I visited Kentucky, at the airport,
everywhere. So, even though the connection is sort of indirect, they
obviously all adore Zim. Unfortunately I have't a television set.

~Amelia

ren

Apr 24, 2002, 7:12:32 AM4/24/02
"A happy Jhonen would just be wrong. I'll find something new to get sick
of."

"Do you feel sick?" *drum roll*

"I'll be here all week folks."

I thought that Invader Zim was a success. However, he never took over the
planet, did he?

ren

Apr 24, 2002, 7:16:32 AM4/24/02
"Otherwise, I'm sure Cartoon Network would pick it up.
If they'll air Cow and Chicken, they'll air any Goddamned thing."

> --TSM

Hey J.V., This is the same guy who pissed off Peter Murphy by laughing too
loud during a serious song. Wait, I was laughing too. Fuck!

In our defense we were not laughing at Peter Murphy. O.k. Well I was
laughing at his hat. But not at the time Peter became furious with us.

SatanicMechanic

Apr 24, 2002, 9:54:15 AM4/24/02
orga...@earthlink.net (Jhonen V) wrote in message >
> A happy Jhonen would just be wrong. I'll find something new to get
> sick of.
>

> Jhonen V

Well i personally am very sad to see Zim go. I would rather
YOU(jhonen) decided when it was to end. But such is life i suppose.
The best things last for only a very short time. If you ever read this
Jhonen tho im sure youve heard it a million times before. Zim
rocks...he will be sorely missed. I only wish there was more we could
do.

SatanicMechanic
Wayyy too obsessed about a cartoon...;p

Gothpat

Apr 24, 2002, 6:50:44 PM4/24/02
On 24 Apr 2002 06:54:15 -0700, satanic...@hotmail.com
(SatanicMechanic) had this to say:

>orga...@earthlink.net (Jhonen V) wrote in message >
>> A happy Jhonen would just be wrong. I'll find something new to get
>> sick of.

>Well i personally am very sad to see Zim go. I would rather

>YOU(jhonen) decided when it was to end. But such is life i suppose.
>The best things last for only a very short time. If you ever read this
>Jhonen tho im sure youve heard it a million times before. Zim
>rocks...he will be sorely missed.

And I will also miss GIR...he made the show for me.
I now have a sad GIR obsession.
:(

GothPat...now with Invader Zim lunchbox

Otterley

Apr 24, 2002, 7:37:12 PM4/24/02
On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 22:50:44 GMT, Gothpat <got...@bratcave.org> wrote:

> And I will also miss GIR...he made the show for me.
> I now have a sad GIR obsession.

I wonder if Hot Topic will restock the GIR plush dolls they had a couple
months ago. I dropped by recently and the girls there said all the
Bay Area stores were sold out, and that if they got any more at all,
it wouldn't be until May.

They did have one of those two-foot-tall GIR pillows, but I wasn't
interested.

--
Otterley <otterley at otterley dot org> http://www.otterley.org

"But everybody knows `Goth/industrial' means `dress goth and listen to
industrial.' Where `industrial' is defined as `synthpop.'" --Jamie Zawinski

oddlystrange

Apr 25, 2002, 11:04:57 AM4/25/02
Otterley <otterle...@otterley.org> wrote in message news:<ucegd8g...@corp.supernews.com>...

> I wonder if Hot Topic will restock the GIR plush dolls they had a couple
> months ago. I dropped by recently and the girls there said all the
> Bay Area stores were sold out, and that if they got any more at all,
> it wouldn't be until May.

I think you can still order it off the website. I think they're still around there.

oddlystrange

(who has the GIR as a dog next to sketchy's iMac)

Otterley

Apr 25, 2002, 12:58:29 PM4/25/02
On 25 Apr 2002 08:04:57 -0700, oddlystrange <pe...@obscure.org> wrote:

>> I wonder if Hot Topic will restock the GIR plush dolls they had a couple
>> months ago.
>

> I think you can still order it off the website. I think they're still
> around there.

'Fraid not, I already checked. :/

oddlystrange

Apr 25, 2002, 11:11:30 PM4/25/02
In article
<Pine.LNX.4.40.020422...@newbolt.sonic.net>,
Icis Machine <ic...@newbolt.sonic.net> wrote:

> but remember that there are 2 episodes/show... so you really only ahve 6
> 30 minute shows and not 12.

No one episode was 30 minutes long (Battle of the Planets, I think is
the name?). So on the 3 they've aired, they've only aired 5 individual
episodes.

oddlystrange

(who doesn't fault you for missing that)

oddlystrange

Apr 26, 2002, 8:43:38 PM4/26/02
In article
<Pine.LNX.4.40.020426...@newbolt.sonic.net>,
Icis Machine <ic...@newbolt.sonic.net> wrote:

> but there is also the xmas one which i think i heard was 30 minutes.
> so 7 episodes and 4 shows left. i still wouldn't be surprised if they
> spaced them out until midsummer since nick always likes doing xmas in july
> week.

Everything I read said they would be airing the *6* remaining episodes
in April. Though I could have been mistaken.

Either way, it appears that Zim is airing tonight.

The interesting thing (put on your tinfoil hat!) is that May sweeps
started tonight.

It's interesting that they would hold off a show that they're canceling
and air it during sweeps.

My guess: it's frugging popular, and they need the $$

oddlystrange

(who knows that the only reason SpongeBob SquarePants [1] remains the
top rated show on cable television, between WWF and The Osbournes is
because they air it close to 5 times a day, and I beleive combine the
results [2])

[1] Which, admittedly I find amusing, but don't really watch unless
nothing better is on...

[2] Though that, like my "why they saved this episode of Zim for sweeps"
is just a product of my active hypothetical theory department.

SawaBat13

Apr 27, 2002, 4:46:50 PM4/27/02
They are currently showing the leftover episodes. It's touch and go if it will
be on or not, however. I've only not seen it aired once since the 'new season'
began. I see it @ 8:30 pm (central) on Fridays. I do have every episode
recorded on vhs + the first two seasons on vcd if you need copies. E-Mail me
if you'd like to trade.

Our Creature Features & Spooky Sounds..
http://www.angelfire.com/punk/spookygirl138List

Bugs 'n' Hisses..