"Wales is a gay nation"

MCD LANCER

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
From the UK Daily Mirror:

..AND NOW AUTHOR SAYS WALES IS A GAY NATION

AN AUTHOR has sparked a storm after suggesting Wales is a "gay nation"
with its patron St David being "non-heterosexual".

Freelance writer Mike Parker has penned tourism guides on the country
but is now warning visitors about psyche of men from the reveal.

No one in Wales is spared his broad brush. Legends, politicians, bards,
poets and churchmen have their sexuality questioned - as do the miners
and rugby players.

Last night, church leaders dismissed the suggestions as "ridiculous and
laughable." In an article headlined Wales - A Gay Nation? Mr Parker
pulls no punches.

He accuses St David of having a gay love affair with his close friend St
Justinian 1500 years ago.

Since then "same-sex affection" has become commonplace among the Welsh,
he wrote in a publication called The Welsh Internationalist. He added:
"My contention is that there exists in the Welsh psyche a remarkable
strain of non-heterosexuality." Referring to ex-Welsh Secretary Ron
Davies' bisexuality and infamous park walks and woodland bird-watching,
he says there is a a socially acceptable "homo-erotic" sense pervading
the nation.

He says: "It is hardly too contentious to see this homo-eroticism in
rugby as anyone who has witnessed a celebrating team's drunken exploits
could confirm.

Mr Parker said St David "had traits of non-heterosexuality".

Regards,

Mary Beth
~*~ If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague. ~*~

Mitch

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
On 16 Jun 1999 14:29:18 GMT, mcdl...@aol.com8o8o8o8o (MCD LANCER)
wrote:

Well, that explains it...I have Welsh heritage! And all along I
thought I was queer. What a relief!
Mitch

Volfie

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
Having just returned from Wales I can tell you that the men there are
wonderfully handsome. The women, however, look pale and rather... er....
equine-like by comparison. And not only are the men good looking but they sing
rather nicely, too.

Volfie -> Cripes, they're so gorgeous that if I were a guy I'd be shopping the
home team, too.

Goldrivet

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
I'm heading to London and Dublin next month . . . maybe I should change my
itinerary!

Butch

Robin

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
Has Pat Robertson been notified yet?

--
One day, in Teletubby Land, a shot rang out.

Martin Phillips

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99

Volfie wrote in message <19990616125418...@ng-cq1.aol.com>...

>Having just returned from Wales I can tell you that the men there are
>wonderfully handsome. The women, however, look pale and rather... er....
>equine-like by comparison. And not only are the men good looking but they
sing
>rather nicely, too.

Well, as a Welshman thanks a lot for the complement. You forgot to mention
that we
are also the best-hung of the four nations of the UK. As for the women, I
believe
Catherine Zeta-Jones might not be equine, and is, in fact, quite
representational
of Welsh women. I'll stick to my cariads, thank you very much.

Martin

Volfie

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
Martin wrote:
>You forgot to mention
>that we
>are also the best-hung of the four nations of the UK.

Sorry, I didn't get the pleasure of finding that out for myself so I can't
verify it. (Although I hear that Tom Jones is quite a rep of that stat.) I
also didn't mention that Welsh men, as a whole, had tiny feet. So if you're
really well-hung AND have tiny feet, how come you're not falling over all the
time?

>believe
>Catherine Zeta-Jones might not be equine, and is, in fact, quite
>representational
>of Welsh women.

There's always exceptions, of course, but maybe I was in the ho-hum district
because I don't remember any women that were even very pretty. Of course I
admit that checking women out is not my hobby. I like men -- a LOT -- and
therefore tend to block out women. Hell, in Scotland, I didn't see any women
at all. (There is something about a kilt that is just so damned distracting.
Lordy!!)

Volfie -> some day I'll tell you about running into the Rolling Stones in
Edinburgh (sans kilts)

Marlene Blanshay

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
In article <7k99jo$2og$1...@uranium.btinternet.com>, "Martin Phillips"
<mphi...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Volfie wrote in message <19990616125418...@ng-cq1.aol.com>...
> >Having just returned from Wales I can tell you that the men there are
> >wonderfully handsome. The women, however, look pale and rather... er....
> >equine-like by comparison. And not only are the men good looking but they
> sing
> >rather nicely, too.
>

> Well, as a Welshman thanks a lot for the complement. You forgot to mention
> that we
> are also the best-hung of the four nations of the UK. As for the women, I

> believe
> Catherine Zeta-Jones might not be equine, and is, in fact, quite
> representational

> of Welsh women. I'll stick to my cariads, thank you very much.
>
> Martin

It's true, a lot of welsh guys are great looking- I've watched rugby on tv
and the welsh rugby players are babe-oriffic.However, I imagine it's not
unusual for welsh men OR women to be pale, considering the climate there.

dust...@mindspring.com

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99
and with more on that story, here's Independent Television News Limited...

Former Welsh Secretary Ron Davies has admitted he is bisexual following
allegations about his private life in a Sunday newspaper.

In a statement issued by his office, Mr Davies said: "Having discussed the
matter with my wife, however, and in order to put a stop to the intolerable
stream of lurid and inaccurate stories, I am left with no alternative but to
confirm that I am, and have been for some time, bisexual.

The Labour MP and Labour Member of the Welsh Assembly made the comments
following a story in the News of The World.

Mr Davies resigned from the Cabinet last year after he admitted to a "moment
of madness" on Clapham Common which allegedly led to him being mugged in
Brixton, south London.

No one was prosecuted in the case.

Last night Mr Davies issued a statement in response to a double-page spread
which carried photographs and alleged that he had exposed himself and
indulged in a sex act near his home in Draethen, Mid Glamorgan.

The Caerphilly MP said: "Since I was attacked in Brixton last year there has
been intensive on-going speculation about my private life.

"As I have said all along I was robbed and was the victim of a plausible and
cunning individual. The statement which I gave to the police following that
incident was a full and accurate account.

"Since my resignation I have found myself the subject of a number of untrue
stories, sold by individuals purely for gain.

"During the last week while walking and bird watching near my home I was
approached by individuals who, on two separate occasions, attempted to
engage me in conversation of a sexual nature. I ended the conversations and
walked away.

"I now know that these were tabloid journalists who were clearly trying to
entrap me.

"I have always believed that individuals are entitled to privacy. I deeply
regret this invasion of my privacy.

"To protect that privacy I have until now refused to discuss publicly issues
of personal sexuality.

"Having discussed the matter with my wife, however, and in order to put a
stop to the intolerable stream of lurid and inaccurate stories, I am left
with no alternative but to confirm that I am, and have been for some time,
bisexual.

Mr Davies added: "I am saddened that I have been forced into making this
statement and I hope that it will end the continued intrusion into my
private life.

"I hope that I will now be allowed to concentrate on my political work and
to deal with the difficult personal issues involved where they belong,
within the confines of my family.

Uncle Waltie

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99

MCD LANCER wrote:

> From the UK Daily Mirror:
>
> ..AND NOW AUTHOR SAYS WALES IS A GAY NATION

<snip>

> Mr Parker said St David "had traits of non-heterosexuality".

"Non-heterosexuality"? Is that the new politically correct term for
gay? Ugh!

-walt, heterosexually-challenged

--
"On second thought, just kill everyone that
annoys me that has the potential to breed."

Uncle Waltie

Jun 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/17/99

Volfie wrote:

> Having just returned from Wales I can tell you that the men there are
> wonderfully handsome. The women, however, look pale and rather... er....
> equine-like by comparison.

The only Welsh men I can think of are rather equine-like in looks,
too. The Queen's boys. I'll take your word that they are the
exception rather than the rule!

NoTm4idts

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
The UK has to be the only country on Earth more sexually repressed than the
United States.

>Subject: Re: "Wales is a gay nation"
>From: <dust...@mindspring.com>
>Date: Thu, 17 June 1999 11:07 PM EDT

Volfie

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99

>The only Welsh men I can think of are rather equine-like in looks,
>too. The Queen's boys. I'll take your word that they are the
>exception rather than the rule!
>
>-walt, heterosexually-challenged

Hmmmmmmm.... ::: thinking of Tom Jones and Richard Burton ::::: I dunno.
Maybe equine works better on a man than a woman. It's not a 100% rule, of
course. There was one elderly gent that I met that would never have passed for
even good-looking in his youth much less his old age but he still could sing
like an angel. (All those generations of miner's genetics stick to the vocal
cords, I guess.)

Let's just say that in the Department Store of Men, my first stop would be the
Welsh bin.

Volfie -> Scots, next.